[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Medfags where you at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: wanna get high on candy.jpg (78 KB, 759x422) Image search: [Google]
wanna get high on candy.jpg
78 KB, 759x422
How much medicine can a person learn at home before he needs guidance/practice bodies? I want to learn basic shit like diagnosing common issues and stitching in case I ever get into trouble without a doctor around. I'm just really paranoid, pls no bully.
>>
>>27653828
Technically you can learn every bit of the theory as well as how medicine is made and used.

More practical would be to learn old-timey DIY stuff. Modern medicine is efficient but complicated and anything serious would require a doctor to prescribe/operate/something that you can't do yourself.

Learning to stitch, cauterize, natural remedies, and staying healthy will go a lot farther than trying to teach yourself modern medicine. You can keep 90% of maladies away by staying healthy and learning how to identify various issues, as well as keeping an aid kit around.
>>
>>27653913
Yeah that's why I want to learn basic stuff like common diagnoses and stitching. Thanks for the help. Are you a medfag, and if so, how much experience do you have?

Also when search for "medicine" books I don't get a lot of useful results. Are there special terms for medical books or something?
>>
>>27654616
Your money and a bookstore. no one is throwing all their books in the scanner.
>>
>>27654616
If you actually know what you're looking for it's usually easier. Look up recommended reading lists of medical universities, then look for those titles. Lippincott has a lot of subjects covered.
There is a pretty fucking huge amount of material to cover if you want the first 2 or so years of what a medical university offers for basic knowledge. Anatomy, histology, basic chemistry, biochemistry, biophysics, physiology, basic nursing, biology, immunology, microbiology. After this you start getting into actual diseases and more practical knowledge.
You realistically don't need all this crap though, >>27653913
plus knowing your first aid well will probably go further than a pile of theoretical knowledge.
>>
>>27654719
That's not what I meant. I meant more like the topic names. When I search for "medicine" or "medical books" on amazon I just get medical books about anomalies in a certain field, or first aid. Nothing that's really about the kind of medicine that doctors practice.

>>27654846
>Anatomy, histology, basic chemistry, biochemistry, biophysics, physiology, basic nursing, biology, immunology, microbiology
So I have to search for individual topics rather than the hypothetical "basic medicine all-in-one superbook"? Good to know. I'll also look at recommendations of medical universities. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>27654616
>Also when search for "medicine" books I don't get a lot of useful results.
Look up your school's curriculum and what books they use.
>>
>>27653828
Most diagnosing is done with lab results, which you won't have access to.
>>
I have a law degree but I'm vastly more knowledgeable in medicine than law from the amount of time I spent reading medical textbooks as a hobby. There is quite literally nothing stopping you from self teaching yourself any discipline when course material is freely available online and easily obtainable. The only upside to having a degree in any field is qualifications for hiring and attendance at a university does help speed up the process so you have a more coherent learning path.

That aside, am I a good doctor? Probably not, probably not even an average doctor. A vast majority of medicine is interacting with patients in a clinical environment, hands on with the patients, seeing actual test results that a textbook can't provide, valuable access to a patient's medical history, etc. Apprenticeship is everything when it comes to practicing medicine, there's only so much I and you will ever be able to learn from the comfort of our computers.
>>
File: 1430488170731.png (161 KB, 423x516) Image search: [Google]
1430488170731.png
161 KB, 423x516
>addicted to Afrin

help

i diluted the bottle a lot so it's like 90% water but i still cant sleep without it
>>
If you read Goodman & Gillman front to back, you'll know way more than 99% of the doctors out there.
>>
>>27656197
*you'll know way more about drugs than 99% of the doctors out there
>>
>>27656197
You mean if you memorize all the content? Well that's easier said than done.
>>
>>27653828

First of, you want to obtain the basic scientific knowledge required for basic medicine. You will need knowledge in 4 fields (assuming you know basic math and chemistry):

Anatomy - Greys Anatomy for Students
Physiology

Physiology - physiology by guyton and hall

Cellbiology - Microbiology of the cell by alberts

Biochemistry - Pearson biochemistry

Once you got that knowledge the best thing you can do is picking up "clinical medicine" by cumar and clarke.

If you still require more information after these steps look into the specific book categories like emergency medicine, tropical medicine, orthopedic medicine etc.

Also why dont you just study medicine?
>>
>>27656488
For one, I'm studying something IT-related already. Dumb choice because I could've learned it at home, but it is what it is. Aside from that, I don't want to be a brilliant surgeon, I just want to know some basics so I can help myself in case I need to. Furthermore, it will cost me a lot of money AND entrance is sort of strict.

tl;dr not necessary, too much money, too much effort

Thanks for the information btw
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.