[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fitness!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
File: TTVGBTGRTRGF.png (3 KB, 750x383) Image search: [Google]
TTVGBTGRTRGF.png
3 KB, 750x383
Back for another one!

Ask anything, report on progress, discuss whatever you want.

Basics:

>calculate your basal rate here:
http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Based on that, adapt your caloric intake whether you want to gain or lose weight. Count your calories every day, write them down, weigh yourself every morning after emptying yourself.

Choose whether you want to grow muscle mass (get stronger) or you want to burn the fat primarily, with cardio, for instance. Both can be done together, though.

As usual, you can pay me in Pepes.
>>
File: Nick's Fitness Guide for r9k.png (689 KB, 3664x2552) Image search: [Google]
Nick's Fitness Guide for r9k.png
689 KB, 3664x2552
Guide!

Read it!
>>
File: 1421975895489.jpg (79 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1421975895489.jpg
79 KB, 600x450
Pepe at the ready, shooting spaghetti. I need more memes with spaghetti.
>>
File: 1422126435718.jpg (144 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
1422126435718.jpg
144 KB, 1080x720
Drop your rarest pepe!
>>
File: Pepe.jpg (72 KB, 760x752) Image search: [Google]
Pepe.jpg
72 KB, 760x752
Ripped Pepe.
>>
File: elmo.png (677 B, 91x129) Image search: [Google]
elmo.png
677 B, 91x129
amphibian martian pepe
>>
>>27650624

Reptilian overlord scumbag!
>>
What are the best foods I can get from the grocery store to support a good diet? Preferably stuff that's easy to prepare and not crazy expensive. I want stuff I can take the work or have as a snack
>>
>>27650901

You can make cool sandwiches, for instances.

Honestly, when it comes to dieting, as long as you undereat, you'll be fine. The second thing is trying to rely on fresh food (non-processed) and you'll be doing great.

A big sandwhich with meats of your choice, salad, tomatoes and some vegetables, and you're more than fine.
>>
>>27651021
how much protein do I really need to bulk?
>>
>>27651220

What I do is this: consider my weight, divide by half, and take that in grams.

>80 kilos
>40
>40 grams of protein per day

That's good enough. Consider getting protein shakes because getting 40g of protes a day with eggs and meat and beans is going to be daunting sometimes.
>>
File: 1416871406638.png (367 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1416871406638.png
367 KB, 800x800
>>27650247
I was 330 pounds, now about 220. It does get better but losing weight just suppresses depression, it doesn't cure it
>>
>>27650247

I have a personal request to make.
Robots, stop going to the gym. You guys, the real robots not the people who jsut come her to laugh at them, you're the cancer that haunts gyms. You're weak, you're out of shape, you do everything wrong, and even when you do it right, you do it for the wrong reasons.
You people come to the gym with the worst mentality, you're doing it to "get a gf" or "win the race war" or any other meme reason. You'll never make friends there, you're the guy who looks at the other gym goers who are bigger and stronger and comes to /fit/ to say that they're all curlbros who don't know how to lift. No one likes you, lifting will only accomplish one of two things: you're gonna give up after a couple months at best or you're gonna actually become stronger and that ends up with one more frustrated autist who will come here with an inflated ego complaining that he has the physique of a Greek God and still can't get laid. Stop polluting gyms, you're almost as bad as the attention whoring roiders who constantly post on Instagram. You're jsut as bad as the whores who post pics of their ass on social media, except you don't have what it takes to do the same, so you post yourself on CBTs. You can't compete with the "Chads" who only work out their upper body because they wanna pull bitches, so you brag about your squat to homos on /fit/.
>>
>>27651328
>but losing weight just suppresses depression, it doesn't cure it

That's how it starts. Curing depression will involve a number of things, getting fit is only a means to an end.

Great job, though, you should feel proud of yourself!
>>
>>27651372

Why are you trying to discourage them? Are you the sort of robot you describe in your post?
>>
>>27651238
This is the stupidest thing I've heard all day. Have you even tried using this mysterious niche secret NSA tool called Google?
>>
>>27651401
I'm not, I love lifting, most people at my gym are my friends, I spend a lot of time almost everyday there. That's why when I see people who obviously fit the robot stereotype ruining the atmosphere there, I just want them to disappear.
>>
>>27651409
>This is the stupidest thing I've heard all day.

You must not have lurked much today then. More protein than that, if you're not some massively advanced athlete, is pretty much useless. Or so does my research indicate.

Feel free to show what you think you know better, that way I can have some perspective.
>>
>>27651415
>That's why when I see people who obviously fit the robot stereotype ruining the atmosphere there, I just want them to disappear.

You're that bothered by some weak newbie who doesn't know what he's doing? Why is it so hard to go and help that person and turn him into a cool dude like you?

I don't get your dislike. These are the very people that should be at the gym.

I wouldn't go to a gym for social reasons, such as the atmosphere, but whatever works for you. I just doubt any one person can ruin it for you so easily.
>>
>>27651429
>Or so does my research indicate.
Do you have published papers? Are you the WHO?

30 seconds in google tell you that the average sedentary man should take around 60g of protein a day. He's trying to become soemthing more than the average sedentary man, so 40 isn't going to be enough.
>>
I work nights.

Can I function on 5-6 hours sleep in order to make it to the gym before work or will it destroy my gains.
>>
>>27651471
>Why is it so hard to go and help that person and turn him into a cool dude like you?

It's extremely hard.
I've talked to people like those when I didn't know better, they ahve a toxic mentaility and are in general all around terrible people who do'nt deserve any sort of help.
>>
My own thoughts (a lot of which is taken from "You Are Your Own Gym"):

Human bodies are a lot smarter/dumber than you think. You don't really have to "count calories" in the normal sense. Just eat when you're hungry -- when you're ACTUALLY physically hungry. Like, stomach growling, slightly lightheaded, etc.

People have been fit for millenia without paying much attention to their food because a) food in the past was much less tasty and more scarce and b) people in the past had much bigger muscles (via everyday fitness), which allowed them to eat what they wanted.

When food isn't delicious and is scarce, you learn to eat only when you NEED to. It's not as if those diets were significantly "better" than ours, or that we need to mold ours on theirs, or anything like that. We need to mimic the method, not the tools: to eat when hungry, as if food is scarce and not delicious.

Muscles are important, too. Building and maintaining muscles takes a lot of energy on a daily basis. More importantly, your muscles will ALSO take energy from the fat in your body. Eating when physically hungry means your muscles have taken all they can from the fat right now and need energy from actual food. Keep doing this push and pull of "build muscle; take energy from fat; take energy from food" and you'll be in great shape. Of course, take care not to overtrain.

So, how should you eat? When you're hungry, and then slowly. Take a bite; put down your fork or whatever; chew and taste; and ask yourself "am I still physically hungry?" Rinse and repeat.

--

Going to the gym is stupid. I'm a left-leaner, and I think gyms are a sickening product of a capitalist society. It makes no real sense to hoard things that people need to have better lives.

But in any case, humans have been fit for decades without gyms. Without much in the way of fancy weights or anything of that nature.

There's a TON of variety to bodyweight exercises, and even better, you can always make shit up if you're careful.
>>
>>27651484
>Do you have published papers? Are you the WHO?

I don't publish them, I read them. Taking 40g of protein per day, or about, is working very well for me, though. Taking more didn't do more.

>30 seconds in google tell you that the average sedentary man should take around 60g of protein a day. He's trying to become soemthing more than the average sedentary man, so 40 isn't going to be enough.

40 or 60 g isn't that big a difference. I take 40g in powder, and I keep eating things that are high in protein, like eggs and meat, so all in all, I must vary between 40 and 80, give or take.

As long as you get at least half your weight in kilos, in grams, you'll make gains.
>>
>>27651493
>Can I function on 5-6 hours sleep in order to make it to the gym before work or will it destroy my gains.

Sure, but keep in mind muscles grow during rest and while you sleep. Undersleeping can hinder your gains. It depends on how much you need to be well-rested. I need 7 at least, and 8 to be good, but this varies amongst people.

Consider a home gym to save time.
>>
>>27651494
>I've talked to people like those when I didn't know better, they ahve a toxic mentaility and are in general all around terrible people who do'nt deserve any sort of help.

I'm sorry I have to agree with this when it comes to some people. I wish I could say you're wrong, but I couldn't have worded it better.

I focus my help on people with the right attitude now, because wasting time on the self-sabotaging is wasting time I could spend on more willing people.

So much for me.
>>
>>27650247
Yo nick have you made a new dumbbell program since the last time I saw you some months ago?
>>
File: 1458925145007.gif (2 MB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
1458925145007.gif
2 MB, 360x240
>>27651511
>I'm a left-leaner, and I think gyms are a sickening product of a capitalist society
>>
>>27650247
I currently eat 1550 calories per day, which is what MyFitnessPal says I should eat to lose 0.25 kg per week. I already lost 8 kgs and have since adjusted my caloric intake. Now this website says I need to eat the 1500 to maintain my weight, and even less to lose any. It says i should eat only 800 (!!!) calories to lose 1 kg a week, that can't be right, right? Do I need to restrict myself to that little? ;_;
>>
>>27651511
>Just eat when you're hungry -- when you're ACTUALLY physically hungry. Like, stomach growling, slightly lightheaded, etc.

This would be fine but you don't instinctively know how many calories are in things, and relying on hunger can lead to some surprises. Not everyone feels hunger the same way.

>People have been fit for millenia without paying much attention to their food because a) food in the past was much less tasty and more scarce and b) people in the past had much bigger muscles (via everyday fitness), which allowed them to eat what they wanted.

Fit for millennia? Hardly. People paid serious attention to their food because, as you said, there wasn't much, so it was very important, and it was virtually always the same damn thing. People didn't have bigger muscles, though. Their daily work was more like cardio than strength training, which is why the average farmer was more of a skinnyfag than a mountain of muscle.

>which allowed them to eat what they wanted.

That's a very recent thing. People in the past ate what they could, choice was a luxury they didn't have.

>When food isn't delicious and is scarce, you learn to eat only when you NEED to.

You're seeing this with incredibly modern eyes and it is completely nonsensical and anachronistic. Any food is delicious when you haven't eaten anything in 2 days.

>to eat when hungry, as if food is scarce and not delicious.

Won't work for most people. You can't rely on your own hunger, but you can rely on calories. No reason to trust your instincts if you can just go by the numbers.

>Muscles are important, too. Building and maintaining muscles takes a lot of energy on a daily basis. More importantly, your muscles will ALSO take energy from the fat in your body.

True, but mostly insignificant unless you're enormously huge. Other basic functions will burn more than just muscle maintenance.

cont.
>>
>>27651511
> Eating when physically hungry means your muscles have taken all they can from the fat right now and need energy from actual food.

Not entirely true, no. You can feel hunger again after a day of binging, it won't mean what you think it means. Hunger isn't a good indication of anything.

>So, how should you eat? When you're hungry, and then slowly. Take a bite; put down your fork or whatever; chew and taste; and ask yourself "am I still physically hungry?" Rinse and repeat.

That's a lot of "feel good" ideas but it doesn't work very well, if at all. There's literally no reason not to count your calories. You can count and see how you feel, hungry or not, but hunger isn't as reliable as the sheer numbers.

>Going to the gym is stupid. I'm a left-leaner, and I think gyms are a sickening product of a capitalist society. It makes no real sense to hoard things that people need to have better lives.

Gyms exist to make money, which isn't a bad thing. There are worse projects to make money from. Nobody really needs to go to a gym, that much is true, you can do it all at home.

>It makes no real sense to hoard things that people need to have better lives.

Lost me there.

>There's a TON of variety to bodyweight exercises, and even better, you can always make shit up if you're careful.

Yes, but variety is a sickening product of a capitalist society, because in reality, you only need some basic compound movements. Capitalists try to make it sound complicated so they can sell you a coach, a book, etc.
>>
>>27651588
>Yo nick have you made a new dumbbell program since the last time I saw you some months ago?

No, but I've changed mine radically. My program is now much shorter, but more efficient too. I've added chinups, and I've reduced the DB stuff to military presses, rows, and shrugs. Modelled after SS, using the DB equivalent of the BB exercises. That way I push, pull, and do legs.
>>
>>27651672
>Now this website says I need to eat the 1500 to maintain my weight, and even less to lose any. It says i should eat only 800 (!!!) calories to lose 1 kg a week, that can't be right, right? Do I need to restrict myself to that little? ;_;

That's too low. 1 kilo a week is too much. Half a kilo a week is the maximum healthy amount you can lose (bar doing cardio to lose it).

If what you did so far works, continue doing that. Adjust as you go. You know how it works, you keep track of the numbers, you don't need anything else. Continue doing what you're doing if it works!
>>
>>27651834
It's worked so far, I lost those 8kg in around three months and haven't lost any weight in around three weeks. I was on a vacation for one of those so I didn't track my calories for around 5 days and ate more than I usually would, so maybe that's why nothing has happened in the last weeks? T-thanks for helping us out
>>
>>27651866

It could be, yes. 5 days of uncounted eating can hinder things a bit, or a lot, depends on how much you ate. Weightloss tends to become less efficient as you go, too. That's normal.

In doubt, lower the cals some more and see what happens. But 800kcal is very, very little, so unless you're very short, get at least 1200. Normally, I advise 400 less than your basal rate, but that depends on said basal rate, if it's very low, don't go much lower.
>>
Must work out myself, see you later, maybe!
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.