[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cooking for poorfags
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 6
File: 1448495328503.jpg (391 KB, 958x1280) Image search: [Google]
1448495328503.jpg
391 KB, 958x1280
Poorfag here

What is the most filling meal I can make for $10
>>
pinto beans and rice
>>
Black Beans and Rice, think it costs around a dollar, welcome to poverty, nigger
>>
>>27642059
>talks about being a poorfag
>spends 10$ on a meal

GTFO you attention normie seeking scum
>>
10 sausage McMuffins.

A 50 egg omelette

A 60-serving bowl of ramen noodles
>>
>>27642165

can you imagine
>>
10 pounds of potatoes
Garlic
Salt+pepper
>>
>>27642059
cheap heroin
>>
>>27642059
substitute some of the meat in your diet with tofu, the secret to cooking tofu is you need to bake it in the oven first, before marinading or anything.

cheapest fruit is bananas,
cheapest carbs might be ramen but you can always get bread for 50% off if you shop at the end of the day at the grocery store.

also salads are almost always available for 50% off at the end of the day.

cheapest meat is the premade chicken nuggets/tenders/burgers. tasty, high protein, cheap, and really easy to cook
posting b4 404
>>
1000 cotton balls dipped in vinegar
>>
>>27642301
you smart

you loyal

you have been muted for 2 seconds, because your comment was not original.
>>
>>27642059
Pet hamster
>>
>>27642119

This. Especially cheap if you're buying dry black beans and soak them yourself.

This would cost about $2 or less, and you can spend the rest on things like fresh tortilla bread or basic veges to add. The beans and rice are full of healthy carbs and protein - black beans are full of good phytonutrients. But you should always try to include fresh veges, especially greens to really make a meal.

Also buy some spices in bulk. You pretty much always add a bit of cumin and salt to bean and rice for flavour, but you can add other spices and then vary these to give yourself a sense of variety.

>Cumin, ground coriander, paprika (sweet\smoked), chilli, cayenne, even turmeric.
>>
>>27642059
10 bucks is a lot for one meal.

Get off this board.
>>
>>27642301
Tofu is more expensive than chicken thigh where I live. ($2.50 vs $1.99 per lb)
Additionally: soy products a shit.
>>
>>27642059
You can make the majority of tasty meals ever at this budget.
>>
>>27642059
Bag of frozen mice?
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-booval/pet-products/frozen-feeders-ipswich-from-8-00/1107511919
>>
>>27642059

frozen perogies are surprisingly cheap. you can get a 2kg bag of the generic store brand for about $4.
>>
>>27642095
>>27642119
>>27642268
Thank you guys.

>>27642301
I don't suppose I can get a portable oven? I live in my car right now. Is there a better way to cook it? I have a tiny gas grill.

>>27642385
>>27642139
>living in your car
>normie
Pick one and only one.
>>
>>27642628
then you're a dumbass. No wonder you're living in your car, considering you are willing to spending $10 on one meal
>>
>>27642628
can you cook tofu on a gas grill? well you can cook anything if you try hard enough, but i'm just talking from what i know from working at a grocery store and being cheap.
>>
>>27642684

let him be anon
>>
>>27642684
he's probs used to eating expensively due to lack of kitchen
>>
>>27642059
2x instant noodles and 2x those steamer bags of vegetables is a pretty good one if you want something at least a little nutritious.

Otherwise
> cut crust off bread
> flatten bread with rolling pin/cup
> put a slice of cheese on the bread
> roll it up as tight as you can
> chuck it in a pan with some hot butter until it's golden brown
> dip in canned soup or any sauce you have

If you run out of money and food completely, deep fry those bread crusts to give yourself acid reflux. This stops hunger pains (by making your stomach eat your oesophegus, 2/10 experience)

Dog food is passable if you add enough mustard and serve it hot. Still 1/10 experience though.
>>
>>27642139
This. I'm poor now, but when I was really poor $10 would've lasted me two weeks. I made lots of the same soup:

>whole potatoes peeled and diced (this part is the worst)
>cheapest white rice (only use some of the bag)
>1 can of pinto beans
>1/3 of a white onion cut into large pieces
>pre-diced canned tomatoes
>plenty of salt
>plenty of hot sauce (lousiana was my favorite)
>black pepper
>mushrooms or jalapenos if i had plenty of extra money (very optional)
>plenty of cheap vegetable oil (but not excessive amounts)
>packet or half a packet of some vegetable stock (powdered)

instructions
>use medium-sized or larger pot
>cut potatoes, fill pot with potatoes and water, put on medium-high heat, wait until they are half way cooked (~15 mins for large pieces because fuck cutting potatoes into small pieces)
>rinse rice off, put into pot
>wait 10 minutes
>put everything else in
>cook for 10-15 minutes (make sure rice is cooked and potatoes are soft)
2-4 large servings, should fill you up for most of the day, if not the whole day

soup should be a nice red color
>>
>>27642684
You don't have any reading comprehension senpai. $10 is my budget for the day.
>>
>>27642717

that's pretty raw dude, I like it. Tell me more about your life.
>>
>>27642059
I live off $6/day of food-stamps. I do beans, rice, hotdogs, cabbage & potatoes. If I am in the area, I will hit up a food bank that I did community service at. My mom brings me to costco to get the most bank for my stamps.
>>
>>27642751
Thanks.

>>27642721
>>27642684
It doesn't have to be spent all at once. That's just the total.

Are you guys fucking retarded or?
>>
>>27642059
You could eat more than a days worth of food for $10

Potatoes/Rice/Bread/Pasta + Meat/Fish + Vegetables/Fruit

Add in eggs, milk, spices, fats (olive oil is cheap)

Really you don't need anything more complicated. Buy in season stuff and stay away from meme-tier recipes.

Getting started if you have no spice drawer and oils will run you about $20-$100 depending on diversity ans quality. Most meat is about $1.50-$10/lb, anything more is luxury. Fish depends on your area. A months worth of grains should cost you less than $15, unless you only eat pasta (potatoes are super cheap, same with rice). Fruit and veggies will run your budget up the most, so again, buy in season stuff. If you don't know what that means, you're on a computer so look it up.

To the original question:
Ez pleb meal: >$5
Chicken breast (any type of cooking)
Potato

dice the chicken, cut the potato open, put chicken+veggies inside, put butter or cheese on it if youre a fatass and enjoy.
>>
Curtis Stone feed your family for under $10 tho
>>
>>27642746
>What is the most filling meal I can make for $10
Where in your post does it say $10 is your budget. OP confirmed dumbass
>>
File: 1458879357851-r9k.png (1 MB, 829x637) Image search: [Google]
1458879357851-r9k.png
1 MB, 829x637
>>27642750
Lol, hipster underage normie faggot get the Fuck out.
>>
>>27642059
You poor? Wtf americano.
>thinks hes poor
>Inb4 seems like hes never had 10dollars for the whole day
>Inb4 its for a whole family

Hahhahah you dont know what poor is, me and my family have gone days with eating white rice with a couple of fried eggs. Like just that. SCRUB
>>
>>27642721
>eating like this
Meat can be as cheap as 99 cents even in North America..
4lbs of that and cut down on the fucking carbs slightly and add some vegetables and your body won't totally freak the fuck out from lack of nutrients you crazy boy.
>>
>>27642804

I wish, I just genuinely enjoy hearing about people's lives.
>>
>>27642813
oh yeah i'm a vegetarian so meat was never an option
>>
OP if you're willing to pay $10 and you're living in your car, you'd simply be much better off finding your local Hari Krishnas or co-op cooking place or something like that, you'll get a greater variety of food, often get more of it, and you won't stink your car out.
>>
>>27642859
If veg, work extra hard to get protein from beans. Cans of chickpeas are good. DO you have a fridge? I would go to a homeless shelter if I understand your situation. Please explain more & ignore the hate. I am a community health worker. If in USA, call 311 or red cross and they can help. I love you and hope you are ok
>>
File: T5vGhTy.jpg (21 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
T5vGhTy.jpg
21 KB, 500x375
>>27642750
Im a yes man. I've done a lot of things, lived a lot of lifestyles and had awesome good times and horrid bad times.

My poorest was when I wanted to live in a semi rural setting. Live among farms and farmers, but still have a normal job. I quit my well paying job managing a liquor store after getting a job in a bar where I wanted to live. Found out my first day that the woman who did my interview grossly exaggerated the number of hours I would be working. Then followed a period where rent and loan repayments were $320 a week, but my typical income was $316 a week.

I struggled, starved, stole, hustled and even had sex with a gross autistic girl for $100 and a bottle of Jack Daniels.

Then I got a job building electricity substations and got back in the black.
>>
>>27642967
i'm not the op, canned chickpeas are okay
>>
>>27642059

Under $1:
>chicken ramen
>3 eggs
>lime juice
>>
you can get a pack of like 8 hot dogs for 99 cents.
>>
File: 1459053059680-r9k.gif (598 KB, 496x500) Image search: [Google]
1459053059680-r9k.gif
598 KB, 496x500
>>27642967
It's a trick senpai, these fucks will send police and ambulance to pit you in a loony house so the government can drop a fat bill and Fuck you even more tbqh family
>>
File: 1457731672878.jpg (72 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
1457731672878.jpg
72 KB, 540x360
>>27642987

That's very cool, thanks for sharing. I hope you at least drank most of the jack before you slept with her my friend :)
>>
>>27642967
>I love you
You don't even know this man

Tbh the idea of having to live rough in a car for a while appeals to me. Would be good for saving money too. I don't know how I'd explain it to people at work though, they already think I'm a weirdo.
>>
>>27643143
Yeah man. Also worked well for her because drunk sex = lasting ages. Made sure she got her moneys worth.
>>
>>27643158
Tell them you live in a winnebago but never let them see it.
>>
>>27643182

you're a good whore anon
>>
>>27643158

This is an interesting idea...but it would be a bit of pain in the ass with showering and storing stuff. If I didn't have/care about either I'd do it.
>>
>>27643253
I't not a pain in the ass to say I love you to someone you don't know well. Also, it doesnt hurt your ability to store nor shower.
>>
>>27643253
>but it would be a bit of pain in the ass with showering
I hear most people get gym memberships and use their showers.

>>27643197
That'd still be weird though.
>>
>>27642059
rice and canned cat food
>>
100 bags of 10 cent ramen.

Eat it all at once.
>>
>>27643322

Makes sense, however the daily morning routine could be a little more difficult, but I am just thinking about if I were to live from my car, a VW golf. Food would be easier, but you would have to rely on more canned goods and whatnot.

Now I kind of want to live in my car.
>>
Rice and beans. $10 worth of rice and beans can feed you for a week or longer. Put the extra money toward nice meats and greens. I save so much money by making rice or beans with every meal.
>>
>>27642059
if u wanna be a real meme demon, apply to high end companies that aren't close to you so have to fly you out, lie your way through the phone interview so they fly you out, you'll get food/free trip/housing for a few days
>>
>>27642059
so...
is pic related?
I'm confused
>>
>>27643361

That is straight devilish.

Can you imagine if you planned an entire circuit out? Say you apply to company A in detroit, then company B in New York. saying you needed a flight from Detroit. With a bit of luck and enough bullshit, you could potentialy get trips all over the place, never show up to an interview and basically travel america in a very luxirous hobo-style
>>
>>27643419
you'd have to go to the interviews to get the food you bought reimbursed (charge it on the CC, then expense report it), i have no idea if it's feasible at all either, seems like it could be though
>>
>>27643354
Yeah perishables couldn't be kept at all but you could still eat them on the day. Plus you can keep a little cooker and use that. I think the food would be alright. You'd have to cut a lot of crap out of your life but bare simplicity is what I want anyway.

A car to sleep in, a blanket to keep warm, some food, and MAYBE a smartphone for internet access. I reckon that's all I need in life.
>>
>>27643465

It'd be tough, and you would have to be applying to some pretty serious jobs with so much bullshit packed onto your resume. I'm sure it could be done maybe once or twice, but a circuit would be nearly impossible.
>>
if you want beans and rice that doesn't taste like poverty

1 or 2 cloves of crushed garlic
hot sauce
1 or 2 teaspoons of vegemite

mix in with beans and rice

mootnote: chop off the ends of the garlic to make peeling them easier then chop with a blunt butter knife until you end up with a crushed mush, crushing it releases the flavor
>>
>>27643472

But I wonder at what point do we just cut it all out, and leave society entirely? If we can live from our car, you can really go anywhere. A smart-phone would allow some contact with others, but if you wanted interaction you can just drive anywhere you want and find it.

I run a small-business that focuses on arts and events. IF I fail I intend to get a decent vehicle, supplies, and just leave. I'll go back some day I'm sure, but a part of me just wants to wander.
>>
File: shitposter.png (251 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
shitposter.png
251 KB, 900x900
>>27643555
>vegemite
>>
>>27643571
I'm already disconnected from society. I talk to my workmates and my family and that's it. However I don't want to break away from work or anything, I need the money.

I do like the freedom it would bring but I'm also a major penny-pincher so it's win-win.

>IF I fail I intend to get a decent vehicle, supplies, and just leave. I'll go back some day I'm sure, but a part of me just wants to wander.
Well even if you fail it sounds like you'll have a good time.
>>
>>27643742

Yeah, I hear you on that one. I don't have many interactions outside of work and the ones I do I just don't feel at all. I can barely relate to my family. Can't you do it though, just say screw money and take a break? I mean, like you said I plan to have a good time if I fail because working 7 days a week is goddamn exhaustingm,ust glad it's what I love to do. I only ask because it sounds like you are edging closer towards a hermit lifestyle, or it's what you want.
>>
tfw spending 2k a mo between student loans and rent
I wish i could save more and just take a trip of europe for a few months, shits hard tho
>>
>>27643829
Well I do want a hermit lifestyle, but I feel that no matter how far away you go some busybody is always going to intrude on your life. My solution is having enough money to purchase a decent amount of land (in a rural area where land is relatively cheap) and hopefully do something online to get a small income to maintain my position. It's a long-term goal and a car would be a comfy stopgap measure (I do it long term if I could, but I know I'll run into people who take issue with it at some point). Basically I want something where I can live a private and simple life without nosy wankers.
>>
>>27642059
Chicken thighs or drumsticks are cheap and filling, those with potatoes are cheap as fuck and will you up, you'll deff get a couple meals out of em
>>
>>27644117

That is a very commendable goal in life, and I wish you luck. I wouldn't let other people get to you too much though, they are simply trying to figure things out.
>>
>>27644186
Thanks man. Hopefully your business works out and pays off. It's rare to have a job doing what you love.
>>
If you have the money and storage, bulk is best.
I got a 20kg thing of rice once that lasted practically a month and was a couple cents a meal.
>>
>>27642491
This+onions was and is my goto for cheap good food
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_dYsfrBKZo

Get chicken thigh from the deli department. 2 lbs is like 3 bucks. Get whatever vegetables you want. I normally go for greenbeans. Get chicken bouillon and use that to make chicken stock. This is a great meal and it's cheap af
>>
>>27642059
Look into legally trapping game. Rat traps can catch more than rats.
>>
>dozen eggs
>pack of hot dogs
>as much ramen you can buy with the rest of your money

Make ramen, cut up a hot dog, crack an egg into it while it's boiling. Congrats you have at least 8 meals right there.
>>
The beans and rice comments are good suggestions. The more effort you put into making your food, the less you will have to pay- for example, dried beans are a lot cheaper than canned, but you have to actually prepare them.
Carbs are cheap energy (and are good for you, don't believe the paleo diet bull), and beans are a great cheap protein source.
Sweet potato has a lot more nutrients than potato so I would look into fitting them into your budget if you're going to be poor af for a while.
>>
>>27644353
Nah ixnay the green beans and go with peppers onions carrots, boiled potatoes, and a can of pjneapple
>>
>>27642059
You still here op?

>originoli
>>
>>27644426
You didn't even watch the video. Half the things you mentioned are already ingredients you dumbfuck.
>>
>>27644413
This is very helpful
I just want to add, chickpeas are one of the healthiest beans, mix some chickpeas with kidney beans and rice and you'll have a pretty good, but bland, meal.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.