[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a comfy video game to play when you are depressed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 11
File: highelf.jpg (119 KB, 1074x744) Image search: [Google]
highelf.jpg
119 KB, 1074x744
What is a comfy video game to play when you are depressed?

I haven't played vidya this whole year because I feel like I'm too depressed to enjoy anything.
>>
Obligatory Oblivion mention
>>
Usually VN with cute girl to interact with, so i don't feel shitty or lonely or depressed about my future all the time.

Try Nekopara or Da Capo, OP
>>
File: Christmas in the zone.jpg (765 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Christmas in the zone.jpg
765 KB, 1920x1080
Stalker, SoC

>Atmospheric
>Lonely
>Immersive
>Spoopy
>Challenging
>Cozying up by the fire with some friendly stalkers, knowing the various mutants or cheekis of the land wouldn't dare try and disturb you
>Feeling safe for the first time in hours

There is no greater feel tbqh
>>
I'm in the same situation, I haven't played video games in over a year. Whenever I tried I just couldn't get into it. I want to find a comfy sandbox game that maybe has Coop, since playing sandbox with someone makes it more enjoyable.
>>
>>27627153
This looks really cool. What does SoC stand for?
>>
>>27627136
But Oblivion isn't as good as I remembered. I tried replaying it recently and it wasn't that great. It was just me wandering around a lonely world, doing tasks that I didn't want to do but I had to because without a goal I'd just be lost and quit even faster.
>>
Gnomoria is seriously comfy tier if you like that kind of game. I love the fuck out of it. Getting comfy with some coffee and taking care or my little colony.
>>
>>27627175
Shadow of Chernobyl

I'm not the same anon who recommended it, but if you can get past how buggy and quirky it is, it's one of the greatest games ever made.

I wish there were an MMO version of STALKER, and against all odds, it would actually be populated by other chill robots instead of the spastic Russian hackers that would inevitably ruin it for everybody.
>>
File: 1398715443998.jpg (77 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
1398715443998.jpg
77 KB, 1000x500
>>27627155
Shadow of Chernobyl

You're telling me, rookie, you've never heard of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games? They're like a meme at this point. A good meme, but literally all over the place.

They are my favorite games. You will never find something that pulls you in so hard, and makes you actually feel like you're in the zone.

>>27627214
It's not buggy in the slightest if you play with the starter pack installed (which is literally just ZRP+Enhanced textures, lighting mods)

Also

>tfw clearing the bloodsucker village
>At night
>In the rain

Worst decision I've ever made, sans trying to get out of Agroprom at night. Fucking millitary shits
>>
try undertale op
>>
>>27627235
>>27627214
I was interested in these games but never ended up trying them because they seemed too action/shootery for me. I like RP games. Is there any parts RP parts to the game or is it all just shooting slavs?
>>
>>27627153
>>27627235
Post more stalker pics. This really looks comfy but in a mysterious kind of way.
>>
File: FUCK dogs.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
FUCK dogs.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>27627266
>action/shootery

It's more exploratory, shootan. The gunfights that happen are actually fairly subdued. No juggernauting through hordes or anything like that.

You and a few other bandits/millitary/cultists will probably be trading bullets for a little while. Each shot can kill you in one go, but the same goes for them.

I like to imagine it's how a realistic gunfight would go. Very tense.

There's some quests to do, some tasks to complete, and it's got multiple endings. But you wont level up (though there is a steady gear progression).

It's a game for a specific type of person. You have to love the idea of skulking around empty buildings, overgrown farms and underground labs with the paranormal, suppernatural, surreal and physically threatening around you at all times. There's hallucinations (see my gif), crazy psychic and paranormal storms that occur randomly, mutants, freaks, loners, bandits and anomalies.

If you're a lonely type of person and can really get immersed in something, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is your type of game.

>>27627288
How about a webm of some guy fighting hallucinations
>>
>>27627104
NEO Scavenger, I would recommend muting it and listening to slow/progressive music such as Tool

>>27627264
lel faggot
>>
These threads always pop up but I have no idea what a comfy game is, other than like Animal Crossing and Euro Truck Sim 2.
>>
>>27627235
I really need to go back and play SoC with mods, I guess. I played the fuck out of it when it first came out, but lost my physical copy years ago. The only mods I had back then were a few balance tweaks and some new weapons.

>>27627266
Quite a bit of RP, actually. I'd say it's about on the same level as an Elder Scrolls game or FO3/4. The world is much smaller than Bethsoft's games, but it makes up for it with atmosphere and immersion.
>>
>>27627104
Silent hill 2, maybe I'm weird but I find it comforting to play a game so representative of depression in itself. It lets me work through the emotions until the feelings subside for a while.
>>
Is Stardew Valley comfy?
>>
File: life in the zone.jpg (863 KB, 1980x1319) Image search: [Google]
life in the zone.jpg
863 KB, 1980x1319
>>27627288
Comfy doesn't even begin to describe it.

Imagine trudging through hell and back, wounded, low on food health and ammo (but packed down with gear). It's pitch black and your singular flashlight is the only thing cutting away at the darkness. It's raining. There's noises coming from around that don't sound of this world. You see flashlights bobbing in the distance, and you can't decide if there's zombies or millitary ahead. So you opt for taking a longer flanking route. You hide among the tall grasses, hoping that nothings been following you (because some enemies are invisible in this game)

You finally make it back to an abandoned train station, where the rain don't drip. There's a stash next to a trashcan fire for your stuff, and around that fire sit three rookies, chatting in russian. One pulls out a guitar and starts playing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRRGYEFZF4A

You look around. The rain cascades, the wind turns, the guards posted at the doors (also rookies) stand at ease, and in the back of your head, you know that for a few hours, you're safe.

Soon you'll be a hardened veteran of the zone. But right now, you're a rookie, among friends, shaking off the dust of the road and soaking up blood from your body.

>>27627352
I know what you mean with the RP. I don't really RP, but I can't help it in this game. It's fucking crazy when you get involved in it.
>>
File: ywjupcxrlmqpu7lj3aqy.jpg (25 KB, 800x662) Image search: [Google]
ywjupcxrlmqpu7lj3aqy.jpg
25 KB, 800x662
>>27627104
I know it's memey and has a shit fanbase, but Undertale is a nice one to play. Just don't read anything relating to it and just play it.
>>
>>27627104
For me it's Stardew Valley.
>>
>>27627416
Is it really comfy though? Theres only so long that you can stay on a screen with good music. Its 6 hours otherwise.
>>
>>27627153
2nd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_fxqXNry18
>>
File: 1459483312178.jpg (34 KB, 654x639) Image search: [Google]
1459483312178.jpg
34 KB, 654x639
>>27627214
>spastic Russian hackers that would inevitably ruin it for everybody.
>>
File: 1398548543969.jpg (358 KB, 680x932) Image search: [Google]
1398548543969.jpg
358 KB, 680x932
>>27627414
>Playing stalker
>Always make a homebase at the trainyard
>There's some friendly rookies there
>A few I even gave medpacks too, so now we're really buddy buddy
>Coming back from the dark valley one day
>"Gonna go hit up my bros at the trainyard!"
>See grey dots on the minimap
>"Looks like a bandit attack just happened"
>Get further inside, the trail of the dead leads me back to the campfire

They killed them all. The only friends I had in that god forsaken wasteland. They fucking murdered them all for their shitty weapons and their food.

After that day I swore I'd never let a bandit live. They are murderous scum, preying on rookies and loners.

I had formed this strange bond with those NPCs. They were often the only friendly faces I could count on seeing, and could know I was safe with. It was like someone coming into your house and murdering your family.
>>
>>27627446
Some of the levels have a comfy vibe to them, also it makes you feel, which is good for when you are depressed.

If you have friends to play with, Ark is a good one too. Much more "comfy" than Undertale since its basically dinosaur minecraft.
>>
>>27627414
It's weird. The game goes out of its way to show you how fucked up the Zone is, and yet even 10 years after playing it, all I really want in live is to be a grizzled veteran Stalker, walking through the woods with my AK on my shoulder, knowing that my experience and my gear will let me take on just about anything that comes my way.
>>
>>27627470
and on top, after hacking the shit out of that game to safe themselves some rubels, they start to insult everybody in the voice chat.
>>
>>27627488
Snowdin-mettaton ex in true pacifist is comfy for sure, but thats a pretty short time.
>>
File: Stardew-Valley.jpg (944 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
Stardew-Valley.jpg
944 KB, 1000x563
>>27627443
>>27627400
This, especially if you have played the old Harvest Moons. I'm in a similar situation, but I've started sinking my life into it because when I play, I remember what it was like to play back then.
>>
>>27627521
While running around blasting horrible europop over scratchy mics and one-tapping everybody through walls.

I guess a PVE only game could work, maybe with a PVP arena (which already exists in the lore anyway) for those who want to try their luck.
>>
>>27627235
>>27627153
>>27627474
>>27627498
>>27627543
>>27627443
OP here, I'm going to give stalker and stardew valley a shot. Thanks Bros.
>>
i have to go with Dragon Age or Mass Effect. Nothing like sexing up ladies and killing shit when you are feeling down.
>>
>>27627583
I've played dragon age origins about 9 times, and finished it five times. I didn't play the dlcs but I'm just too burnt out to go back.
>>
File: 1456689551986.png (460 KB, 979x735) Image search: [Google]
1456689551986.png
460 KB, 979x735
I don't really play vidya when im depressed but Skyrim, Fallout, Grim Fandango, Minecraft and Peggle are pretty comfy imo
>>
>>27627498
It's amazing how much experience is a very real thing. There's no XP system or skill points, but learning the ways of the zone comes with a lot of practice and time. Like, I can easily take on some cheekis now (though once in awhile those suckers flank me with sawed-offs). Back then I didn't know the caveats and nuances of combat. I know the importance of dynamic cover (because oh my god this fucking AI is smart. Literally always will have at least two guys trying to flank you), the bullet physics, the importance of binoculars in finding long distance targets. How much gear is appropriate to take on an outing.

Even though there's no physical markers for it, I really do notice the change between rookie and veteran
>>
>>27627552
PvE could work if it can somehow retain that crisp difficulty without just pumping the HP up of the enemies up regarding the players in your group.
PvP Zones can work but need a system which is thought through.
>>
>>27627571
Hey man if you play stalker, here are some tips:

For a graphical overhauled game, download and install the starter packs.

Always play on master difficultly, with the crosshairs disabled.
>>
>>27627521
>>27627552

playing on phished accounts with avatars set to g-string wearing glamour models facing away from the camera
>>
>>27627609
I know this feel.

>heard every single dialog chain at least a hundred times
>still feel the need to listen to every optional dialog again everytime I replay
>>
>>27627666
The devil's get!
>>
If OP is still here, here's my suggestions

>Super Mario Bros 3
The pinnacle of the NES library. The world are expansive, the graphics are colorful, and the OST is great. A bit challenging (especially from World 7 onwards), but the gameplay is extremely tight, so you'll never feel like the game is just cheating.

>EarthBound
The original "comfy" game. Again, colorful cartoony graphics and a great OST. Everyone in the game from the main characters down to the NPCs with one line have great personality. It's kind of gained meme status online due its rabid fanbase, but the game is incredibly well written and the ending is very heartwarming.

>Chrono Trigger
It's an incredibly epic game; the story just keeps getting bigger and bigger as you progress, meeting new characters as you travel through time. Everything about this game fits together perfectly. It has all the elements that a great JRPG should have with none of the filler. Even if you don't play the game, you should at least listen to the OST, which may be the greatest of all time.

>Yoshi's Island
Everything about this game is bright and fun, yet the gameplay is also surprisingly deep. There's so much packed into this game; one of the most heartwarming moments in Yoshi's Island is a text box that reads: "We, the Mario team poured our hearts and souls into creating this game for your entertainment." It really does feel like a labor of love.

>Pilotwings (and PW64)
A fun little flight simulator with great music. The original has heavy use of Mode 7 graphics (which I absolutely love), while the N64 version has beautiful yet simplistic early 3D worlds. Extremely comfy.

>Super Mario 64
If you like early 3D stuff, this game is great. The controls are so tight that you can have fun simply running and jumping around outside the castle. This is another game that is packed full of content; you will never get bored of this game.

(continued in the next post)
>>
>>27629472

>Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
So, you've probably played this by now, but if not, DO IT NOW. There's nothing more I can say about this game that hasn't been said already, it's simply a masterpiece.

>Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Bright cel-shaded graphics, a light-hearted yet still epic storyline, and the best portrayal of Link to date. Full of character.

>LSD: Dream Emulator
So, this isn't what most people would consider "comfy", but if you disregard how spoopy the internet claims it to be, you'll find a very etheral gaming experience. It's hard to describe why, but running around trying to go deeper and deeper into this game's psychedelic world will have you feeling incredibly peaceful. It's sort of an meditative game, I suppose.
>>
>>27627400
Fuck yeah, Stardew Valley always makes me feel better
>>
>>27627264
Agreed .originalcomment .desu
>>
>>27627104
Stardew Valley
11 pounds, Farming simulator, make friends in the village and is very simplistic.
>>
File: 1459029839158.jpg (60 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
1459029839158.jpg
60 KB, 722x349
>>27627180
Just like in real life
Realism/10
>>
>>27627180
for me this is true of all the bethesda games, the actual gameplay is so shallow that i just get bored
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.