[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you gain doctor Manhattans powers if you were offered them
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (214 KB, 674x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
214 KB, 674x800
Would you gain doctor Manhattans powers if you were offered them /r9k/?
>>
>>27625432
literally who

this probably wont be original
>>
>>27625432
I'm already Nihilist enough
>>
Of course. Then I would proceed to destroy the world.
>>
No question.

I would become god and make people worship me.
>>
>>27625495
Must be 18 to browse here.

Yeah, I'd take his powers, but being able to see the past and future simultaneously would get kinda boring after a while. The most fun I could have with it would be having the ability to create worlds and shit at will.

Also, how do we even know that Doc Manhattan is Jon Osterman? Isn't it entirely possible that he's just an amalgamation of all the stuff that was intrinsically subtracted plus Osterman's conscious?
>>
>>27626162
But anon, you ARE your consciousness (or brain if you want to be more correct). You don't have a "soul".
>>
>>27626228
Yeah, but Jon was completely rekt by the subtractor. Same thing as the teleporter paradox. If a person was completely obliterated and then put back together exactly as he was before, would that mean that it's still the same person? How do we guarantee it either way?
>>
File: 1459095911664.jpg (53 KB, 800x624) Image search: [Google]
1459095911664.jpg
53 KB, 800x624
>>27625432
His blue dick is quite big but I dunno about getting blue balls
>>
>>27626228
Also, what about Phineas Gauge? Nigga got part of his brain blown away by a metal rod. Didn't change much about his personality, except for a slight speech impediment and a shorter temper, but his friends still said that he was the same guy.
>>
>>27626279
Because he still came back to his lady and she immediately recognized him after he reassembled himself.

>If a person was completely obliterated and then put back together exactly as he was before, would that mean that it's still the same person? How do we guarantee it either way?
If it's still the same consciousness, then yes it's the same guy.
>>
yeah, superpwoers would be the tits.
>>
File: Dr Manhattan 2.jpg (79 KB, 746x388) Image search: [Google]
Dr Manhattan 2.jpg
79 KB, 746x388
>tfw not duplicating yourself and gangbanging your gf
Why live ?
>>
Do i get the powers but can keep my connection to humanity?

That was the biggest drawback to Manhattan. He was the only person that had actual, honest to got superhuman abilities but they came with the effect of destroying his humanity piece by piece and ability to connect with people.

Is his nihilism and loss of humanity a conscious choice he made from being able to see all the past, present and future and be uniquely capable of comprehending all that he saw, and declaring humans and life itself irrelevant in the grand scheme of the universe? Or was it a side effect of becoming who he is and he is actually no longer human in any way except outwardly, and his contempt for humans is the same as that experienced by an animal?

He is effectively a God. Such a being would inevitably drift away from such insignificant mortals.

If i could retain some connection to humankind and desire for our species to succeed and conquer the stars i would absolutely take them and use my understanding of the universe to the benefit of everyone.
>>
>>27626540
I would say it's a side effect. Think of simple mortal power like insane wealth, you become very disconnected to the common populace simply because you don't have to deal with anything they have to, so there's no relation. Gaining Manhattan's powers and ascending into what is basically god-hood would for sure separate you from everyone and everything. While you could actively decide against it for awhile, I'm pretty sure it would only be a matter of time before you became truly apathetic.

I think the way you suggested would be the best way to retain that humanity though, by taking humanity under your wing and guiding them.
>>
>>27625432
Sure

First thing I would do is kill all australians
>>
>>27625432
>Would you gain doctor Manhattans powers if you were offered them /r9k/?

Manhattan is literally a slave to his own powers because he is technically a God. At that level of power pleasure is not possible anymore.
>>
>>27626540
You would have to intentionally limit yourself to maintain your humanity. You would have to choose to only see the present, to only perceive with human senses.
It would be hard. Imagine living among cripples and having to pretend you can't walk. Just trying to never stand up and walk. Could you resist the temptation to just stand up and reach something on a high shelf? Could you live with limiting yourself like that?
>>
I'd build a space elevator in every g8 country. Then I'd look through space and try and seed life in various planets. Starting with various moons and continuing on
>>
>>27627501
I keep thinking more about seeding life. Should I show signs of my existence or not?
Show instructions for intergalactic travel or not?
>>
>>27627274
I love how he is god but still has to deal with petty relationship bullshit.
>>
>>27627501
>>27627599
Making the Moon a garden of Eden sounds like a good idea too
>>
>>27625432
What a fucking stupid question.

>Would you become a literal god if you were offered to?

Yes, yes, of course I would, dumbass.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.