[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any autists here who drive? (I mean actual autism,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 246x205) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 246x205
Are there any autists here who drive? (I mean actual autism, not meme "I'm awkward so I'm autistic lel" autism)

I've only driven a couple of times and it was just too intense for me. Just the consequences of what can happen if you fuck up were too overwhelming and the unknown factor of how other people would drive were too much for me.

If you do it, how do you do it?
>>
>>27622728
oh shit...i might b autistic too. i just drive slowly give people room for error.

if u follow the rules and drive like granny it should be ok

if some asshole shames u...their insurance will pay and my car is 5 star safety
>>
I felt the same way too, but I was in a situation where I needed to learn how to drive, so it was just a matter of forcing myself to do it. Driving on a highway especially, since you went really fast and it felt like a single little fuck up could fucking kill you. Eventually, though, I got comfortable and now it's second nature.

How other people drive is generally speaking not an unknown factor. There are ways for them to telegraph to you how they are driving (blinkers, break lights and so on), along with signs on the road that tell you about the rules of the road you're currently driving on. An overwhelming majority of these people drive within the confines of these rules because the consequences of fucking up is too severe to be worth it, i.e. a car crash that could potentially kill you. I'm not saying that accidents don't happen, but generally speaking, most people tend to drive safe and stay within in the rules.
>>
My brother in law is an undiagnosed autist and he is the worst fucking driver. also gets lost easy
>>
File: 1434228501820.jpg (21 KB, 250x235) Image search: [Google]
1434228501820.jpg
21 KB, 250x235
>>27622823
>gets lost easy

ugh, fucking this, it's so embarrassing

anything out of town is automatic GPS even if i've been there multiple times, especially if you have to take a bunch of highway bullshit (i live in the northeast, our roads and highways are pants on head retarded)

even in town, i always systematically take the same route to places, and if i have to take a different route for whatever reason it throws me off, i don't know how to visualize in my head where i am and how to think of a different route to get where i'm going. i have literally stopped and taken out GPS on the outskirts of town because there was some accident and the road i always take was closed

i probably have legitimate autism
>>
I have high functioning autism yet...I know what you mean OP. Its nerve racking. Normies just get into the flow but I can't stop noticing all the cars and the drivers and thinking about all the bad things that can happen and all the statistics showing how driving is the most dangerous thing people do. Its only relaxing when an open road and no cars.
>>
>>27622728
Same here, that's why I don't bother.

>>27622808
Austism is highly accompanied by not being able to pick up on other people "telegraphing" things.
>>
>>27622728
I have an issue with speeding everywhere. Also, I need my window down with the air blasting my face because I'm a fucking animal apparently.
>>
>>27623673

Yeah, if you're stupid. There's this thing you can do called "learning" it works for the ones of us who will pass our genes

I just do it OP, remain totally focused to not let the tunnel vision fuck me up
>>
I have an autistic friend and he is a horrible driver ,I was concentrated all the time and was preventing 2 crashes when we drove ,because I was screaming "Stop" when he didn't see the cars.He also got lost all the time and I had to tell him the way.
>>
>>27623673
It's not like it's subtle. It's literally lights with the express purpose of telling you that for instance a car is slowing down or turning right. It's not exactly ambiguous.
>>
I have the superior combination of mental disorders. Autism and schizoidism.
>>
>>27622728
I have PDD-NOS (diagnosed) and don't drive often. After getting my license (which I somehow managed to do on the first attempt), I still had to practice a year before being even half-decent. The driving experience is fairly intense, and I don't think I would be able to drive in a city.
>>
I don't even like to cross the street or parking lots OP. I'm probably not autistic but the sensory experience of being on or near a road is just too much. It's good to be cautious as long as your life is still okay without driving.

>>27623710

You fuckers piss me off. You're probably one of the millions of shitty dangerous drivers on the road. Car accidents are a leading cause of death.
>>
>>27622728
I just walk and take public transit.
I've had my learners permit a couple of times, but driving literally scares me.
I much prefer just walking, taking public transit, getting a ride from someone, or taking a cab.

I do know some Autistic people who can drive though, but some of them scare me with their driving.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.