[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As a non-american i've been wondering, is prom as much of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (435 KB, 1543x1360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
435 KB, 1543x1360
As a non-american i've been wondering, is prom as much of a big deal as movies make it to be? And if it is what does robot like us do? Because in a million years a girl would never go with me to something like that that involves so much power play, and hierarchy.
>>
>>27620842
Depends on the person. I personally think you should go at least once(had more than one chance in high school) just to say you did so you won't feel regret later, since the mind is cruel like that.
>>
It's not as big a deal as people make it out to be in movies and stuff but almost everyone goes and it's a big coming-of-age moment. Lots of people experimented with sex or alcohol for the first time after prom
>>
>>27620842
>Had a chance to go with the girl that would be my gf months later.
>Decided I could care less about prom.
>5 years later still no ounce of regret.
>>
Robot from the US here, currently a senior in HS (18). Everyone does treat it like a big deal. They worry about who they're taking and what dresses or tuxedos to buy. It's all for fun, though. I'm not going to it and I don't think I will regret it.
>>
>>27620842

No, it's just a dance that normies go to. You rent a dress or tuxedo, take "prom photos" with 5 other normie couples, mostly take pictures. It's really just a dance/party.

Then there's the afterparty and/or people reserving hotel blocks. It's really all just to get some pussy and give your mom some pictures to show off to coworkers. Regardless of what anyone else thinks.
>>
File: David-Cameron-laughing-014.jpg (700 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
David-Cameron-laughing-014.jpg
700 KB, 2560x1536
you use to call me on the feel phone
>>
>>27620842
I mean if you're a Chad or Stacy it SEEMS to matter (why idk their whole high school experience is already a big jerkoff in their honor, what's so special about THAT night?).

But for everyone else, even if you're a normie, it's just sort of a formal and meaningless celebration to commemorate high school ending. But it doesn't do anything for you, emotionally speaking.

What really gives you that feeling of "oh it's really happening, this is the end" is during the last week when your schedule starts shrinking until you have like 1-2 classes left, and you walk the empty halls and realize this really is the last time you'll ever be here.

That's what my normie/other robot friends tell me. I was having such a hard time at school that I got put into a program where you be separated from other students and just work all day at your own pace. I ended up finishing 3 months early and didn't even bother showing up for the graduation ceremony. I think I just ordered in some pizza and watched King of the Hill.
>>
Going to it didn't even cross my mind. I didn't even bother to look up or pay attention to what day it would be. So I didn't know when it was until I overheard classmates talking about it as if it were a few days ago. Six years later I still don't regret not going, because I haven't forgotten how socially incompetent I was, because I am still no better.

>>27620955
>(had more than one chance in high school)
Never heard a word about the ones other than senior.
>>
>>27621011
>decided i could care less about prom

So you did care about prom?

Do people that use this phrase even think about how little sense it makes?
>>
>>27621313
Juniors can go in my HS, and you can be invited by Upperclassmen. Not like I was, but it's still possible.
>>
>>27620842
I didn't even go, still don't regret it.
>>
>>27621325
Americans are retarded. The phrase they use literally means the opposite of what they're saying. In Australia we say "I couldn't care less"
>>
I had pneumonia during my last 3 months of high school. Had to finish my schoolwork in the summer.

Not sure anyone even noticed desu

I sometimes wonder if that was the straw that broke the camels back for me becoming a NEET. All that shit sent me spiraling into a rut of depression I've never really crawled out of.
>>
>>27621656
>Americans are retarded
How's your war on the flightless bird coming, oh Australian mastermind?
>>
File: image.jpg (241 KB, 791x1137) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
241 KB, 791x1137
I bet 99% of the people on this board don't hold it in high regard, but that's not representative of Americans as a whole.

Go ask about it on reddittt or tumblrrr and come back and tell is what they said.
>>
>>27620842
>Because in a million years a girl would never go with me to something like that that involves so much power play, and hierarchy.
See, the thing is that these days every girl wants a "promposal," You have to make a big deal out of asking, which is sort of a double edged sword for the girl. On one hand, she gets to have some guy go out of his way to try to please her. On the other hand, she's singled out as a bitch if the guy isn't a complete asshole and she says no.

I made the mistake of asking a really hot girl that I was good friends with to Prom during junior year because everyone told me I should go and I figured why not go with her then. She clearly didn't wanna go with me, and I knew that as soon as she said yes, and I'm pretty sure we both had an awful night. Didn't really speak after that either. But I guess to answer your question, no it's not that big of a deal and it isn't like the movies at all. There are some pretty big parties afterwards and a good chunk of kids will be having drunk sex as a part of their last hoorah of high school but if you're not one of the social elite then you're not gonna be going to those great parties or getting laid anyway.
>>27621656
It's not an American thing. Even in America the educated know the phrase uses couldn't instead of could.
>>
File: image.jpg (6 KB, 125x98) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
6 KB, 125x98
Prom is where it all ended for me.

I used to be a Chad.

Then on prom night, I was in a car with my friends. Guy behind the wheel was drunk.

We crashed.

Everyone walked away with minimal injury - except for me.

I was paralyzed from the waist down.

My friends kind of tried to stay by me at first but they moved on- I was dead weight.

I fell into depression and eventually found this place.

I don't regret a damn thing though. I look at those moments of bullying robots as some of the happiest of my life. We all have an expiration date, mine came early. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy my memories of being on top. Something you guys don't have.
>>
>>27620842
>is prom as much of a big deal as movies make it to be?

Only for girls. You always hear them whining to their friends about how they can't pick out a dress and how their pre-prom cleanse diets are basically killing them.
>>
I ditched prom to go to a Nightwish and Sabaton concert with my friends instead. I hardly knew anyone at my shitty school except for some legit autistic kid that I talked to at lunch.
>>
I didn't go to prom, I played Battlefield 1942 and listened to Linkin Park instead.
>>
Every single thing in an American film is false.
From the value of their edgy yankee 'culture', to the fact that they can afford cars beyond a 1997 Nissan Sentra.
>>
Most people I know in high school didn't care about the prom. Chads, weirdos, nobody really cared except grills.
>>
>>27621981
*shits himself again*
>>
File: 1451262360271.png (267 KB, 4096x3824) Image search: [Google]
1451262360271.png
267 KB, 4096x3824
For some reason I love reading about what Robots did during prom night instead of going.

Humor me a little bit and tell me your stories.
>>
>>27620842
You think it's a big thing when you're 17 or 18, then when you're out of high school you realize what a big nothing it all was.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.