[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is travelling just a meme? I always hear normies say that th
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
Is travelling just a meme? I always hear normies say that they want to go everywhere and experience new stuff while they are young and have no responsibilities.

They'll always link stupid articles about how it enriches your life and you'll gain new perspective on everything. The one that always gets me is that they meet new people and become friends with them but I'm sure it never lasts.
http://www.airtreks.com/ready/17-reasons-why-travel-is-good-for-you/

Do people really learn new languages or about themselves or culture or skills from travelling or are they just lying?
>>
>>27617050
learning about a culture or language that isn't yours is WEEB tier degeneracy it's justifiable though if you have blood relating to the culture or language of interest
>>
I've been to Mexico, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, and Paris.
Traveling is just a meme, it didn't change me, I just drank more than usual and people spoke in different languages.
>>
>>27617050
When they say they love to travel, they actually just start partying in those countries, eat at fancy restaurants and witness events/monuments. Nothing else. They don't know how the people is like, they don't know the culture (they only know the meme stuff).

Yeah it's a meme
>>
>>27617086
If you want more out of life than just pissbottling and frogposting on retard money or your parents' money, then speaking at least more than one language opens up a lot more opportunities in life.

>>27617050
I travelled really just once, to South America with my college, and it did change all of my perceptions in life. It didn't make me more right wing or more left wing but it made much more pragmatic about life and aware of my own flaws and strengths.

It's all about leaving your comfort zone and going through challenges.

Going clubbing in Europe and hanging out with other hippies in a Costa Rican vegan coffee farm or getting drunk at a 5-star resort doesn't really count though if those are your comfort zones.
>>
>>27617213
>poses faggot classist cunt reasons for learning a language
>a proponent of travel
Nobody gives a shit about how awesome your shit stinks after dribbling all over your Birkenstocks you smug globe-trotting nancy boy.
>>
>>27617295
>classist cunt reasons

lol what

did you reply to the wrong post there friend?
>>
>>27617322
>If you want more out of life than just pissbottling and frogposting on retard money or your parents' money
>>
Keep in mind for most people traveling just means a consequence free unabashed fuckfest with some eating and sightseeing sprinkled in, the latter two being the parts they tell people about when they come home.
>>
It's mostly just to see old shit, pretty scenery, and getting drunk with people you can't hold a conversation with.

If you're traveling to a country that speaks a language you do, then you can at least get some perspective by chatting up locals while drunk.
>>
>>27617352
How is that classist?

I wasn't talking about just financial reason either.
>>
yeah, it's a meme, unless you're going to some nature filled spots.
been to spain, usa, japan, south korea, germany, and france
the city side of things was pretty ok, but going to yellowstone in the usa, or other parks in other countries was an experince worth doing.
Yellowstone was my favorite
>tfw i can't watch the sun set over a canyon and then walk back to your cabin to listen to music and watch the stars
>tfw can't drive back down the road when i entered and see a double rainbow again
I'll try to find that double rainbow pic for you guys
>>
>>27617050
> travelling completely changed me, it really opened my eyes
> same person as before, just gone to a different place
i hate normies
>>
File: image.jpg (765 KB, 1024x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
765 KB, 1024x1536
i'm a robot and i like to travel desu
not visiting night clubs or anything but nature parks and that

i want to visit yellowstone some day
>>
>>27617213
It shouldn't take a trip to a different continent to develop self awareness.
>>
I do believe that travelling enriches your life, if you let it. I spent most of my years in hicktown Ohio and never left the state. When I grew up I drove to Boulder,Colorado and it was the happiest I had ever been. I camped out for a week in the mountains. Just the peace and quiet alone was surreal. It was so hard to leave. Then I had to go back to my job and work for another year. Next place I went to was a small town in Alaska. There were less than 100 people living there. I can't say I made any friends but I did talk to the locals a lot. The final place I went to earlier this year was Ireland. I rented a motorcycle and road from the southern tip up to Derry. I stopped at a few castles and other cool places. All I can say is that travelling is not for everyone. I do it for the peaceful locations. Finding a place where there is literally no noise or people within miles is truly amazing.
>>
>while they're young

how the fuck they got enough money to travel?
>>
>>27618751
Save up. Being a robot, I do not spend much money at all and end up having a lot to do shit with. Including travel.
>>
>>27618751
Just tell your parents to front the cost, duh
>>
File: 0125160945b.jpg (314 KB, 1750x984) Image search: [Google]
0125160945b.jpg
314 KB, 1750x984
>>27617050
As a robot who's traveled to 11 different countries in the past 3 years, it is a meme. And a waste of money. Don't do it.
>>
>>27618881
Why did you travel so much? And were they all far apart or neighboring countries like in Europe?
>>
travelling and organised travel agency shit is touristy bullshit.

roadtrips are sick as fuck though.
>>
>>27618701
This anon knows what's up.

Motorcycle travels to quiet spots are amazing.
>>
File: 1029151321b.jpg (294 KB, 1750x984) Image search: [Google]
1029151321b.jpg
294 KB, 1750x984
>>27618924
I had a lot of extra money and free time. I grew up in a small town (~700 people) and fell for the "see the world and become enlightened" meme. I wanted to be one of the few people my age in my area who grew up and "did something" with their lives.
>>
File: 1103151734.jpg (272 KB, 1750x984) Image search: [Google]
1103151734.jpg
272 KB, 1750x984
>>27618924
I went to a lot of Asia and South East Asia.
Lost my virginity to some prostitutes in Bangkok.
Worth the $15
>>
>>27617050
I travelled for 2 years...all continents..due to work not beacuase of pleasure.

I met people..they still care for me because i care for them, because i took a step to take care of the relationship even if it was work related i took an extra strep and made it personal.

It is worth it if you take care of them, specially after you leave their country...you have to keep constant communication. girlfriensds, forget about it.....she has to be on same page as you otherwise she will get bored and leave you.

But friends if you keep a constant communication willl stay...specailly if you aree american...lol

it is worth it....but only for yourself....not for finding friends. fuck what your family says or your friends thin.

if you are a son of olokun....do it nigga
>>
File: vietnam3.jpg (42 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
vietnam3.jpg
42 KB, 700x525
I've been out of country for over a year. Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, India. I'd say it's half meme.

If you do the tourist normie thing and visit all the tourist spots just to take selfies, it won't do shit. I've had to deal with a lot of crazy people and manage some difficult situations. It's like being a sharp pointy rock and bumping against other rocks until you're round; smooths out the autism.

Friends are always hard. I had one good friend in the US. I made another good friend in the past year of travelling. I've effectively doubled my amount of good friends. I've made a lot of acquaintances but those will fall out with time and distance.
>>
>>27618881
you did it wrong my nigga.

you have to mingle with the locals...or the tourist....eventually they know the locals...or they will get to know them with you.

i wish i could have gone with you.

You are in a foreign fucking land where NO ONE KNOWS YOU, lose the fucking fear and talk to them IN THEIR LANGUAGE at least to say hi, they will feel more comfortable to speak english....even fucked up english....you started with fucked up foreign language so theyl'll feel at ease.
>>
>>27619301
I agree...friendships will have to be special to last one than couple of months. GF, forget about it....just fuck the shit out of them for the moment.

just go and get to know those places..see how people live and how the struggle is.....it is the same fucking struggle as in USA....you still have to eat and have a roof, but different country.

do it nigga bitch if you have no responsibilities...it is worth it....it is no meme shit or half. it is real... i have a bunch of friends from all over the world who care for me....even if my autism does not let me speak to them first.
>>
>>27619308
Unless you live in a small town there's no way you know everyone or are somewhat familiar with them in your current city.

If some people can't talk to strangers in their home then makes you think it'll be different anywhere else?
Why do you have to go to a foreign land to try and talk to strangers in a language you probably don't understand
>>
File: 1211151257.jpg (601 KB, 1750x984) Image search: [Google]
1211151257.jpg
601 KB, 1750x984
>>27619308
>you did it wrong
How do you know what I did?

I did mingle with the locals and tourists. Didn't get anything worthwhile or meaningful out of it besides a fleeting connection that neither of us cared about.

>NO ONE KNOWS YOU
One of the reasons I don't keep in touch with anyone.
>the people that got to know the real me
Didn't give a single fuck about me.

I learned a bit if Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese. But none of those are relevant or useful at all for me. Besides Japanese so I can read my weeb comics.
>>
>>27619752
i have noo fucking idea exceot this idea that.....if i am not from here...i am not bound to run into them later on ...so i talked to strangers...girls or boyrs... eventually that led to sex....girls only.

in my home and it is fucking huge and full of manlet...manlet capital of the world MIAMI.....i did it out here....nnow i am back and back to me self.
>>
Fuck that physical travel bullshit.
Take 5 dried grams of psilocybin mushrooms (per 145 lbs of bodyweight) and see the real shit.
>>
>>27618751
step 1: Dont be American
>>
Traveling is shit. Everywhere is more of the same shit, there are just more or less buildings in some places and the animals and plants are a little different. Literally nothing special about it. Traveling is just garbage normies waste money on to make their dull lives seem more interesting. All they did was move across some dirt and water. That's it.
>>
>>27617050
I'd like to travel but I'd want it to be through something like SWAP so I could get to know another country with other people in a similar situation. That seems like the kind of scenario that would help form a friendship. On the other hand I want to go it alone for the full experience and the benefit of not having to go at someone elses pace.

I could do what I want and wouldn't have to waste a day because someone else was tired,sick,hungry etc. I've always been happiest when I've travelled to another country but I was with family and the stays were short. Its mostly curiosity about whether I would change at all if I did decide to go on my own.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.