[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really want to get into this works but I don't really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 285x352) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 285x352
I really want to get into this works but I don't really know where to start.
>>
>>27597746
With his first book, like you would any other authour.
>>
Just get a collection desu just make sure it has Cthulu because that's his "essential" work
>>
The one with the fish people.
>>
>>27597746
>>27597760

Lovecraft never wrote a book - he just wrote short stories.

Pick up any collection and just start reading.

Honestly, horror is a genre I find really absurd. Slug creatures that takeover minds in the future? Really? It's like late night radio or something.
>>
File: 1415945754232.jpg (220 KB, 1061x796) Image search: [Google]
1415945754232.jpg
220 KB, 1061x796
>>27597746
Re-Animator and Mountains of madness got me started.

I think most of his shit is available for free online if you look (I'm not going to).

Never got to involved with Lovecraft because I started reading Dashiell Hammett and now hardboiled detective stories are crack for me.

Also, this isn't /lit/.
>>
Start by going to GAP and buying a fedora
>>
A nice, short, and easy one to get you started is The Outsider. Very relatable story for robots.
>>
File: 1409556266757.png (69 KB, 915x711) Image search: [Google]
1409556266757.png
69 KB, 915x711
>>27597850
>Honestly, horror is a genre I find really absurd. Slug creatures that takeover minds in the future? Really? It's like late night radio or something.

I dislike basically everything about the horror genre in terms of film and have never really read any horror novels.

What I do like about his stories is the pervasive themes that involve discovering some form of forbidden knowledge, how technology and science will fuck us and basically getting into shit that is unknown, uncharted and _will_ end up fucking you over.

There is, of course, a necessary suspension of disbelief, but it shouldn't be difficult because you're reading fucking horror fiction from the 1920s and Lovecraft was a half-decent writer.

>>27597875
Kinda true.
>>
Try the cats of ulthar. solid short story

very short, 10 minutes or so to read at a normal pace.
>>
>>27597914
I appreciate his psychological horror stories, but after reading one, you can easily pick out the other ones and have an idea where they are going before finishing them.

I really liked Kuranes, The Shunned House, and The Street
>>
File: 1394556172501.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1394556172501.gif
2 MB, 250x250
>>27598231
>after reading one, you can easily pick out the other ones and have an idea where they are going before finishing them.

That's fairly true, to be quite honest, cabron.

It's somewhat formulaic, but I still enjoy it to some extent:

>random dude tries to explore/gain knowledge/experiment with spoooooky shit
>shit gets spoopy
>3SPOOKY5U
>things happen that can't always be explained
>zombies/the old ones/ancient gods/science/the jews/aliens did it

I just appreciate the story telling, though.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.