[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was life before the Internet really this nice? https://www.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: hqdefault.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
Was life before the Internet really this nice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA

Everyone seems happy even though they are strangers. I don't think you would see this today.
>>
the dudes blog about this

http://mrsitcom.blogspot [dot fuck off gook] co.uk/2014/04/the-story-of-7-11-video-shot-at-230am.html
>>
>>27589788
Yes. You were sorta forced to socialize, you literally had nothing to do other than watch TV, focus on your craft, or socialize. And two of this things would usually involve people.
>>
>violent crime down
>standard of living way up
>we are more connected than ever through technology
>yet it's now the latest trend to go onto social media sites and post about how the old days were better and how the internet is ebil, despite them relying on it

Yeah, everyone acting chipper in that video has nothing to do with the fact that home video cameras were a novelty back then, and they were all putting on a show for that
>>
Yes it was much better and free. I was the first to get the internet back in 94, but the world itself around me did not become shit until the 2000s. Girls were girls, guys were guys, people were always nice, bullying meant getting a wedgie, not being cut out from life or told to commit suicide. Everybody was out in the sun, everybody was free and happy.
>>
>>27589959
>we are more connected than ever through technology

This has its ups and downs really
>>
>>27589959
Actually asocial behavior is on the rise, and no, home videos were not a novelty in the 80s, hell, even in the 60s you could barley say something like that.
>>
everyone seems so pure and had much fun
makes me wonder if internet really a good thing or not
>>
>>27589788
>I don't think you would see this today.

How would you know when you don't leave the house?
>>
>>27590205
Sometimes I go out to buy snacks at 7/11 but I never see people like this.
>>
>>27589938

Yeah, but I've had similar experiences now (and I'm a fucking ancient GenXer). It depends upon the neighborhood and...I don't, the phase of the moon or something.

>living in chicago last year
>stop by neighborhood grocery store on the way home
>bad mood
>bad day at work
>waiting to get some salami
>guys behind the counter are goofing around
>commercial comes for a local carpet company
>somehow, end up with everyone in the store singing the jingle (even me) as one of the guys "conducts"
>everyone starts laughing and talking
>stand around for like 15 minutes after I pay because I'm bullshitting with perfect strangers
>leave in a good mood

Or there's shit like this truck stop near me. I'll go when I get up at like 4:30 am to get somewhere because I know I can get decent food there. Always run into a chill mix of working people who respect when you gotta nurse your coffee for a while but are also down to talking about anything from how the crops are doing this year to family, the news, or whatever as we flirt with the waitresses.

Or that philly cheese place in Philadelphia last fall I kept getting dinner from because I'd be late with work. College kids, kids from the street, working people, little old ladies, didn't matter, we'd sit around waiting for our orders and chill for a few minutes. Something about that place just brought it out in people, although Philly in general was an awesome city.

OP, I remember when I was a kid, there were people who used to hitchhike across the country "looking for America". Well, it's out there still, ya just gotta be open to it, be willing to listen, and slow down a bit.

It's even here, sometimes (anyone remember the Pigeon guy? Shit, he was a lifeline for me for a while when I was working on a lousy project and up at the asscrack of dawn every day...don't know why, but it was good to know he would be here).
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.