[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know this isn't really the right board to ask, but what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: royal-enfield-altered-bikes.jpg (408 KB, 1024x678) Image search: [Google]
royal-enfield-altered-bikes.jpg
408 KB, 1024x678
I know this isn't really the right board to ask, but what do you guys think about commuting to work or class with a motorcycle instead of a car? Initial loans and payments aside, I can think of some benefits:

>way cheaper fuel expenses
>cheaper insurance after a year or two of riding
>have more fun commuting than in a car
>people think you're cool unless you dress like an autist or look like one
>can more effectively break traffic rules

Downsides:

>might die
>>
>>27582942

Oh, another downside where I live is that we get snow, so you'd have to have a car in winter.
>>
Getting a motorcycle won't get you laid more
>>
>>27582942
>This is probably suited to /o/ or /adv/ really.

Problem is you can have a pretty nasty crash in a car and with modern safety standard, walk away. No matter how good a rider/driver you may be it's other road users that are the danger. Some fucker will pull out in front of you because he couldn't be bothered to look and before you know it you're dead.
>>
>>27583009

Probably just going to be met with "reeee normie get out", but I have a girlfriend and have slept with quite a few women. I'm getting a motorcycle for me, not for bitches.

>>27583041

I learned how to drive a motorcycle in a third-world country. I know there are some dangers, but I'm not too worried.

Taking my safety class in two weeks so I can get my license, BTW. Already signed up. Only things I have to do before I get my bike is pay off my credit card and loan (which should take less than a month or two) so I can put myself into more debt.
>>
>>27582942
There're no downsides at all where I live. It barely rains the whole year, never snows, the streets are relatively safe, etc. The only reason why I don't have one is because I don't have money and it's not like I have anywhere to go anyway.
>>
>>27582942
I wish I could drive around with a bike or even a scooter. It's an enormous savings. But, I also live in Rust Belt poorfag snow land, so it's not feasible.
>>
>>27583164

OP here, and I'm in the same situation. I live in Michigan, so riding a bike is pretty impractical between late November and early March. However, I have an older 4x4 Jeep that should suffice for at least a couple more years. I think I could put my car into storage on my insurance policy when I'm using my bike and then reverse when it gets too cold.
>>
File: 2698369.gif (382 KB, 222x199) Image search: [Google]
2698369.gif
382 KB, 222x199
>>27582962

just get a snowmobile

or better yet outfit your motorcycle's tyers with spikes
>>
if you can get to school/work via public transportation then a bike is a decent alternative, especially if you take the BRC and dress for safety. I work in the city and take my bike in any chance I get.
>>
File: 59746.jpg (24 KB, 300x385) Image search: [Google]
59746.jpg
24 KB, 300x385
>>27583117
Fair enough, if you think it's safe enough to be reasonable, go for it. Just accept you'll come off or be knocked off at some point and it'll probably be pretty damn painful.

Please always wear a helmet and some kind of PPE. Shorts and t-shirt really isn't enough.
>>
>>27582942
nurse here, you'd be lucky if you died after a crash. I've taken care of several motorcycle accident patients. Try living the next 60 or so years without being able to move your arms and legs; or maybe you want to have all of your skin ripped off and look like a mutant for the rest of your life?
>>
>>27582942
ahhh alot of folks are terrible drivers where I live which keeps me on the fence, I got my license last august but someone dies on there bike like every summer due to an old person who shouldnt be on the road anymore or someone texting and driving.
>>
Ride cycles for 13 years and am giving it up now. Was in a wreck I was lucky to walk away from about 10 years ago.

Now, I'm just tired of riding and in older and don't want to push my luck further. Let me tell you, riding is fun. Great stress relief. But there are downsides too. One is that there's a lot of hidden costs in riding. They're not s expensive as comparable costs of a car, but costs, nonetheless. If you want to be safe, you need to buy a good helmet and good protective gear.

Also, it doesn't matter how good a rider you are when a drunk driver or a texting soccer mom hits you when you're stopped at a light.
>>
>>27583458

I don't think that'd work. We sometimes get over a foot of snow in a single storm, which can be rough for my SUV, let alone a bike.

>>27583481

I live in a very small town and commute into my state's capital. It's only about a twenty minute drive, but there's absolutely no public transport linking where I live to the Greater Lansing Area. I've already signed up for the BRC, which I'll be taking in two weeks. I know how to ride a bike but I'm not endorsed in the United States and want the insurance break as well as the skills to drive on a highway (which wasn't possible where I learned, given the poor quality infrastructure).

>>27583741
>>27583529
>>27583516

Thanks, I'll definitely keep the safety stuff in mind. I just don't think it's inevitable or even particularly likely that I'll be maimed for life riding a motorcycle. I know there is a danger, but some people talk about it like you'll almost certainly get into a near-death accident.
>>
Do it OP. I've been riding two years now, and it's the only thing that brings me any happiness.

Just today I got some new levers. Anodized red goes well with my bike, short brake and regular clutch.
>>
>>27582942
>Downsides:
>might die
how is that a downside?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.