[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>have calculus exam in an hour and a half >literally trying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: calc.jpg (352 KB, 1280x1765) Image search: [Google]
calc.jpg
352 KB, 1280x1765
>have calculus exam in an hour and a half
>literally trying to cram this bullshit into my head
>nothing makes sense because i'm too stupid
>i'm probably going to fail this curse

what the fuck how do people even understand calculus. anyone who tries to explain it sounds like they're saying a fucking riddle
>>
>>27580997
>curse
FUCK I MEAN COURSE.
>>
>>27580997
that's because most math classes are taught as "knowing this will help you pass the test and possibly in your career field" and not "understanding this and how and why it is/works will broaden your knowledge of math"
>>
>>27580997
What's up with that sheet? Im an enginigger so i understand calculus but i cant make out what that sheet is supposed to be

A list of problems to solve or what?
>>
>>27581045
idk man i just googled whatever, the picture was irrelevant

i didnt mean i was trying to cram that sheet, just calculus in general
>>
Pizduy v armiyu raz ne mozhesh in math. Cyka blyat.
>>
i'll help you study op
>>
>>27581081
it's too late im ded. it's supposed to be the easiest fucking thing and i can't do shit
>>
>>27580997
Derivatives are the rate of change (or slope) at a point.

Definite integrals are the summation of areas for a specified section of a function.

Integrals take the form of height times width (like the area of a rectangle). The width is denoted as dx. Dx is an infinitesimal change in x (so the width is really small). You sum up the really small areas a lot of times to get the area of function.
>>
>>27581114
You have an hour you faggot. If you learn basic derivatives and integrals, and if this is an intro class, you can probably at least salvage a 60.
>>
>>27581138
Derivatives are the slope of a curve taken at a single point
Integrals are the area of space underneath some curve you graph, from the top of the curve down to the X axis
>>
>>27581198
Derivatives work by getting the rise over run really close to the point. You know slope is y2-y1/x2-x1. Derivatives are just that equation as x1 gets really close to x2.

That's where the equation f(x+h)-f(x) / h as h goes to zero comes from.
>>
>>27581193
I'm trying to find good material online to learn this shit but khanacademy touches on subjects that aren't even on the examen and everything else is just out and about with trigonometry that isn't part of the course.

I just want to know derivatives, integral, marginal cost (its business calculus) and how to construct/interpret graphs because i dont UNDERSTAND SHIT.
>>
File: f7FdEdG.jpg (10 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
f7FdEdG.jpg
10 KB, 260x194
>>27581193
This.

Never fucking give up. In freshman year of college I had 2 hours before an exam and had never studied so I gave up, failed the test. I started to catch up after the test and FUCKING REALIZED THAT 1 HOUR OF STUDYING WOULD HAVE GOTTEN ME A PASSING GRADE. It was the basic testing of limits and shit and it wasn't that fucking hard, I just made the problem to be bigger than it really fucking was. No matter how much time you have left, FUCKING TRY.
>>
>>27580997
>Soviet calculus
Reee, Using cyrillic is one thing, written cyrillic is just horrendous.

Also, a whole bunch of those look like special cases which we never had to memorize but could just look up. As for the rest. Calculus is mastered not by reading, but doing.
>>
>>27580997
Don't try to understand anything, just learn how to solve the problems and do practice problems.
>>
>>27581270
All of that is important, but it may not help you pass the test.

The two equations you should never forget is n*x^n-1 for derivatives and 1/(n+1) * x^(n+1) for integrals.

The derivative of x^2 is 2x. The integral of 2x is x^2 + C. The C is a constant needed for indefinite integrals. Adding the C will at least give you one point a problem for integrals.

THE DERIVATIVE OF A CONSTANT IS ALWAYS 0!
>>
What year/level/class are you in ? In my country we have these in the final year of high school which decides what branch of college you will study.
>>
>>27580997
as others have said, you genuinely do not have to understand the material to get good grades

your professor will outline exactly the kind of questions he expects you to be able to answer on a test, and will give you at least one step-by-step example. memorize the example and replace the numbers on the test
>>
>>27581305
memorize this
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/pdf/Common_Derivatives_Integrals.pdf

marginal cost/benefit is typically just the derivative at a given point.
>>
kekaroo i remember having this shit and failing
had to retake it 2nd year but aced it in the end by getting 96

its ok bro, its a very hard course, might be the hardest i've had to far (software engineering) maybe only linear algebra was harder
>>
>>27581474
How many calculus classes did you have to take?

And they make you take discreet math?
>>
>>27581527
had calculus 1 and calculus 2 (both are called "amplified calculus",dont know if that's a thing in other countries)

yeah,we took discreet math, 2 courses of them, im doing the 2nd now
>>
>>27580997
Do you have brain damage?
Calc is really, really easy.
And super important too.

>>27581376
All of this is a waste of time.
The only thing you need to know is that the derivative of a function f(x) is defined as lim a -> 0 (f(x+a)-f(x)/a.

Integrals are similarly trivial, just remember to understand what you are doing.

Overall calculus would be a complete waste of your time, if it wasn't so damn important.
>>
>>27581699
Using that equation will slow the fuck outta OP.

OP, if you can use a graphing calculator, use that shit to find integrals and derivatives.
>>
>>27581699
>Do you have brain damage
I might as well, who knows.
>>
>>27581699
what a load of bullshit
if i weren't sick in bed with a high fever i'd explain but basically, you're retarded
>>
>>27581798
I can't use that
>>
>>27581816
No.
I can prove that the formula is certainly correct.

Maybe not with enough rigor to please actual math autists, but I can prove it well enough for the likes of you.

>>27581798
>Using that equation will slow the fuck outta OP.
Of course you're not supposed to apply it, plugging and chugging is way faster here.
But if you understand the why, maybe you'll memorize the things easier.
>>
>>27581874
its the definition of it, it has almost 0 functionality in a test
you just gotta know how to arrange the variables so that you can get immediate deriviatives
>>
>>27581899
>>27581899
>you just gotta know how to arrange the variables so that you can get immediate deriviatives
Derivatives are piss easy and mostly a waste of your damn time.
>>
>>27580997
>he doesn't use the overnight student method of learning
>>
File: integration.png (1 KB, 371x37) Image search: [Google]
integration.png
1 KB, 371x37
>>27580997
I'm confused, this is a list of integrals.
Do you have to solve them, or understand them?

In order to solve them, you have to use composite functions, change variables
(x = t + ?), or integrate by parts.
>>
>>27582010
Yeah that has nothing to do with what I'm looking at
>>
>>27580997
it's because you didn't study enough and you're likely complete shit at algebra and trig, just like most people that complain about calculus

everything is easily understood, including that derivations, and proofs

Just review past math and retake it
>>
>>27582051
There is no trig in Business Calculus. But you're right, I'm so rusty on my algebra it makes everything look like a nightmare
>>
I found some guy called My Secret Math Tutor and it's been pretty useful. I watched almost all the shit I needed and I understand, sorta. I know I'm gonna choke during the exam when I see something I don't recognize but at least maybe I'll get an F+
>>
File: pos_vel_acc_a.gif (5 KB, 738x238) Image search: [Google]
pos_vel_acc_a.gif
5 KB, 738x238
Probably won't help you in the exam today, but if you're going to retake the course and still have trouble understanding calculus, look at the application in physics, more specifically the relationship of the functions of position, velocity and acceleration.
I'm positive you'll find a good video explaining it in more detail.
That really helped to clear it up for me.
>>
>>27580997
Literally just had to learn:

>Chain rule
>Maximisation
>Definition of derivative

There probably aren't even proofs lol how stupid can you be
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.