[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Being happy is a choice."
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 24
>"Being happy is a choice."
>>
It is though.

You just choose to wallow around in self pity rather than taking steps towards happiness.
>>
>>27580511
This desu.
Depressed fuck here.
>>
>>27580511
>just be happy :^)))))))))))))))))))))
literally fuck off
>>
>>27580511
If I punch you in the face, I dare you to be happier than before I punched you.
>>
>"You're just choosing to be miserable"
>>
>>27580533
Rather than shitposting I'd like an intelligent response. What are you doing to be more happy, since I assume you're unhappy? Are you continuing to live your life the exact same way? Obviously that's not going to make you happy.
>>
>>27580546
Describe to me how you choose to be happy in the middle of your wagecuck job, and no, "getting excited for after work," doesn't count. That's just you putting on a smile and labeling misery as happiness.
>>
>>27580546
what is there to do
>inb4 "get a hobby" or "think positively"
>>
I chose to be a shit eating faggot a long time ago.

I deserve everything I get
>>
>>27580403
On some levels it is. The majority have no major disorder that is untreatable. The idea that are lives are so completely out of our hands that we can't even make ourselves happy is laughable at best. Personal responsibility to yourself is important. If you don't responsibility for your actions then you admit having no control over yourself.
>>
>>27580587
By looking at the good in every situation. By realizing how blessed I am, while things are far from perfect.

>>27580602
Both of those, especially the first, are valid answers. But save those, working out--which releases endorphins and will improve your mood and spending time around friends.
>>
>>27580542
It will be way easier because your gross ass wont be touching me
>>
>>27580546
>Change life
>Pursue goals
>Still feel empty, unfulfilled
>No good to balance bad
>Too much trying to be happy, not enough happy
>Nervous breakdown
>Back to beginning
>But worse because older and failed
>justworldfallacy.jpg
>>
>>27580624
>just force yourself to adopt a completely different worldview that doesn't make any sense to you
???
>>
>>27580640
Maybe you should try something else or look at the good in your current situation. Your life isn't completely devoid of all good just because it's less than optimal.

Try looking on the bright side of things.
>>
>>27580403
apathy is highly achievable tho
>>
>>27580660
You have to try. You're not trying, therefore you are choosing to remain unhappy.
>>
>>27580403
No it's not. The people who are optimistic and always happy are like that naturally, and they are not depressed and pessimistic. Therefore they are not choosing they are merely being true to their nature.

The bad thing about happiness is that it makes you self-righteous and self-absorbed
>>
>>27580587

>Describe to me how you choose to be happy in the middle of your wagecuck job

Well, part of your problem is you need to find a job that makes you happy.

I work nights at a local cafe that makes everything from scratch, and I take a lot of pride in my cooking. Every time I put out a nice plate, I feel more win than I do when I kick ass at an online game or some shit. Unless we're having a slow service, it's constant adrenaline. It only sucks if I am working while I'm sick and feeling like shit. Otherwise, I come in, start working, and the next thing I know it's time to go home. We blast awesome music, get to act like idiots (bc it's not like customers can see us fucking around), and get to take home whatever food we want. It's all high quality shit that impresses my friends/family whenever I cook for them at home (the best cooking oils, exotic mushrooms, fresh pasta, beautiful fruits and vegetables, etc).

Then I work as many days a week as I desire on a farm. It's physical labor that keeps me in shape and makes me feel like a boss. There's something fulfilling about coming home dog tired and smelling like shit, getting cleaned up, and melting into the couch to chill. I sleep 10x better than I did when I was a NEET. I also get freebies from that (fresh organic milk, grass seed for my yard, manure & hay for my garden and weed plants, etc.)

If you're not proud and fulfilled with what you're doing, you need to find a new job.
>>
File: Pessoacopo.jpg (502 KB, 1126x1600) Image search: [Google]
Pessoacopo.jpg
502 KB, 1126x1600
I sometimes think that I enjoy suffering. But the truth is I would prefer something else.
>>
>>27580682
>No it's not. The people who are optimistic and always happy are like that naturally
Not true. I've encountered plenty of people who strive for happiness and attain at least some of it despite their circumstances being pretty awful. There are those who have lost family members, their jobs, have been diagnosed with a debilitating illness, and they still manage to find some happiness because they try.

Stop whining and saying "it's not my fault, I can't help it", you're making excuses. You can.
>>
>>27580624
I can guarantee you that I dont enjoy working out or being around "friends". But I bet you're gonna say my anxiety isnt real
>>
The way normies think and perceive the world scares me. How can one be that ignorant and naive?
>>
>>27580682
I'm not really happy but I'm optimistic, as I can see the world has it's beauty
>>
>>27580737
Well, if you haven't exercised much at first you're not going to physically like it, but mentally you will because it releases endorphins. You'll feel better afterwards.

>But I bet you're gonna say my anxiety isnt real
What steps are you taking to fix that? Not being around said "friends" or refusing to make new ones is only leaving the problem unsolved. Yes, it will be uncomfortable at first but you can get over it with practice.
>>
File: 1443975192888.gif (888 KB, 400x181) Image search: [Google]
1443975192888.gif
888 KB, 400x181
>tfw the only thing that ever made you happy is long gone
>>
>>27580403
It *kinda* is, but it requires alot of life / emotional / spiritual experience. I certainly wouldn't go around preaching this to anyone, as it is a fairly complex subject, and just repeating the message ad nauseum without really exploring the topic is tantamount to "just be yourself." The best thing I can do is to advise what helped me, which was Joseph Campbell books. His works opened up a whole field of human experience that I was completely oblivious to before. It, along with some MGTOW philosophy has helped me find some contentment with being a loveless 26-yo kv.
>>
File: 1452887384688-4.jpg (14 KB, 236x345) Image search: [Google]
1452887384688-4.jpg
14 KB, 236x345
True happiness is found in him.
>>
apathetic is the best lifestyle, since it negates positive emotions, it negates negative emotions too
>>
>>27580724
>Missing the point
Those people don't have depression.
Watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIcf-2AFHgw
>>
>>27580857
>52:01
Is there a part I can skip to? Or can you paraphrase?
>>
>>27580831
True happiness is bliss.
Bliss is death.
>>
>>27580909

If that were true, bliss would only be found in the want of death; not death itself.

Death itself would only be a comfort in knowing there is something after.
>>
>>27580879
Depression is due to problems with several chemicals in your brain, it appears to be a natural reaction to traumas, mild or not, it's relative, where your brain thinks of it as the new norm, and it's not so easy to snap out of. Those people you mentioned, for whatever reason, didn't establish that type of thinking as the norm. It's good for them, kudos, but the things you suggest only work when your brain isn't already in that pattern. But for sure, for a depressed person, there simply is no joy in anything. The connections aren't made.
>>
>>27580624
God you're retarded. I worked out every day for four months, got some gains, and didn't feel any better. I also have forced myself into a group of people who now consider me their friend but I don't feel any better.

No one has a clear cut answer for happiness. It's not as simple as "just be yourself XDDD", it's something that either comes naturally to you or you have to spend years and years finding the one thing that actually makes you feel good.

I'm still searching
>>
>>27580678
see that's the problem
normies dont even have to try
why do I? I was born defective of course
>>
>>27581007
>Depression is due to problems with several chemicals in your brain
I've heard this claimed but have yet to see a source. And even giving you the benefit of the doubt, that's not true for all people with depression, as some are depressed after a particularly bad event occurs, because of -that-, not because of chemicals.

>>27581022
Stick with it, sometimes it takes time.

>>27581051
>normies dont even have to try
They do. Nobody is happy simply by doing nothing, sitting in their room all day with no friends or significant other. They make the effort to get out and thus are happier.
>>
>>27580624
>spending time around friends
lad
>>
Getting dubs is a choice.
>>
>>27581098
If you're implying you don't have any you should make some.
>>
having normies forcing girls unto me is really fucking annoying
I'm completely apathetic to intimate relationships and it sincerely bothers me
>>
>>27580403
When will normies learn that free will is a meme? Nobody would be a self-pitying depressed faggot if you could just "choose" to be happy.
>>
File: 1459046319886.jpg (13 KB, 249x244) Image search: [Google]
1459046319886.jpg
13 KB, 249x244
>>27580546
Absolutely nothing, I've been damning myself for years. It's foolhardiness, laziness, lack of motivation, unwillingness to change. I can't blame anyone but myself. I'm aware.
>>
>>27580661
That's the thing. There IS no optimal.
I feel bad because I feel that way.
I feel the void in my life because it's just there.
Every desire I have had, when fulfilled, has never filled that void. It actually made me worse.
It will always be there. I have accepted it.
>>
>>27581086
It's all in there in the video. One second, I'll get times to skip to
>>
>>27581143
You're probably just so used to acting like a depressing teen to realize you can choose how you act and react to situations.
Alot of adults feel down most of the time but you don't see them walking around like some sad fuck. Your mentality is too negative to get what im saying tho, you will just reject it
>>
This thread is full of "its not my fault" I don't have friends. My family hates me and failing school but all of this is my fault because I chose to wallow in my shit and act angry all the time but recently I noticed /r9k/ influenced my shitty mindset twoards achieving nothing so sadness encouraged more sadness but im getting better because I tried amd now have a asian Gf
>>
>>27580511
What steps?
>>
>>27581214
Why do you assume I'm not like the same adults you mentioned?
>>
>>27580511

i force myself to do things i don't want to do on a daily basis, which isn't saying much because that's basically everything i do

i see doctors and i practice their positive thought pattern shit

abe lincoln, the person that group of quotes is attributed to, was chronically depressed

t. person who never mentions this shit irl because everyone is a perspective-lacking faggot

t. baited blogpostanon
>>
>>27581240
Fucking thank you for this. The robots on here don't realize this. You might not be able to fully create your reality but you sure as hell can shape it through mentality and actions.
The energy you put out is the energy you get back
>>
>>27581200
Try religion.

>>27581202
Thanks.

>>27581241
Did you read the thread? See >>27580624
>>
>>27581316
Just the nature of the posters here, you kinda fit the bill
>>
>>27581389
>Try religion.
Top kek, nice try mate.
>>
It's not that simple but there is some truth to it.
Being a depressed piece of shit and wallowing in self pity is easy, going out there and trying to work on yourself and your situation isn't.
Of course every case is different and some people are just doomed.
>>
>>27581439
There's no harm it could do. Worst case scenario you're still where you are now.
>>
>>27581447
Nobody is "doomed" until they tell themselves they are doomed. But other than that, spot on post
>>
File: 1452135656774.jpg (55 KB, 720x513) Image search: [Google]
1452135656774.jpg
55 KB, 720x513
>>27581439

> For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it!
>>
>>27581463
I was religious. Saw no point to it.
Found it really controlling and segregating. It's pretty much indoctrination. I want no part of it.
>>
File: 1445143225651.jpg (9 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1445143225651.jpg
9 KB, 251x242
>these normies trying to give their shit advice

Where the fuck do you think you are?
>>
>>27581408
No. I'm exactly like the adults you mention.
Who the fuck wants to be around someone sad and mopey all the time? I try my best to put of whatever facade I need for work, albeit at times, the negative feelings do leak out.
>>
File: 1456081651933.jpg (484 KB, 910x1200) Image search: [Google]
1456081651933.jpg
484 KB, 910x1200
It's not that simple. You have to work toward happiness. You need to identify the root causes of your depression and figure out ways to either mitigate or overcome them.
Take it from someone who spent 10 years of their life on 4chan before finally deciding to learn how to set and achieve goals to actually make my own life better.
>>
>>27581548
Ok wallow in self pitty then, you don't have to take any advice in here for face value
>>
>>27581525
>Found it really controlling and segregating. It's pretty much indoctrination

And now you're on r9k; congrats.
>>
>>27581565
Well i don't see the argument here, you know how life works
>>
But that is right, the thing is that sometimes being sad isn't a choice.
>>
Just be happy that you're in a hopeless position. :^)
>>
>>27581646

Your life choices and viewpoint is.
>>
>>27580511
If it was a choice, why wouldn't everyone simply choose to be happy?

People like you just don't want to admit that there are people who can't be helped. It makes you feel good to think that everybody has a chance. If there was a way for everyone to be happy, nobody would commit suicide.
>>
>>27581086
>>27581202
>>27581389
2:00-3:45 Different types of depressions
9:00-14:10 Evidence for biological causes
Evidence from medicine
17:50 Noropenephrine
21:50 Serotonin and Dopamine
24:00 Substance P
I would really recommend watching it all though
>>
>>27581758
>If it was a choice, why wouldn't everyone simply choose to be happy?
Because it's not quite as simple as saying "today I'm going to be happy". It's a choice but one you have to work for.

>If there was a way for everyone to be happy, nobody would commit suicide.
These people just didn't try hard enough to be happy or gave up too early.
>>
OP here. I can understand choosing to make the best out of life, but when you're stuck at a wagecuck job and your boss tells you "leave your troubles at the door and be happy while you're here," it's not gonna happen. I can smile as much as the bosses like, but every second I spend working is another second I'm trying to push suicide out of my head.
>>
It is tho, atleast on the outside, and thats what matters. Dont wanna drag others down. Plus acting like you're happy does help a little bit for moments but not in the long run.
most people are not happy.
>>
>>27581832
Then change your situation, stop complaining and find a new job or become your own boss. The main reason people have shitty lives or get stuck in a shitty situation is because they dont "feel like" putting in that work to change it.
Stop complaining
>>
>>27581818
You seem to be under the impression that people's decisions come from within. They don't. Your choices--every single one of them--are the consequence of your upbringing and environment. These external factors shape what you believe, what you're willing to do, and what path you take in life.

This very thread is part of that environment. Some people may see this and decide to make a change in their life (based on whatever decision-making rubric they use, factoring in their personal history), but it won't be an internal decision. What about the sad person who didn't see your sage advice, who kills himself tomorrow? What about the sad person who saw your advice and didn't believe it because he'd been sold shitty advice his entire life? What about the sad person who really tries his hardest to be happy, but the effort he puts in isn't the kind of effort that would actually help him? What about Genie?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie_(feral_child)

Could she have chosen to be happy, given her circumstances?

What is it that makes a person try hard enough? What is it that makes a person give up in their quest for happiness? I'll tell you: it's something outside of their control. There isn't much to be gained by denying people agency this way, it leads to shitty fatalistic attitudes, but to say that everyone can be happy is hopelessly naive.
>>
>>27581832
squattheplanet.com
>>
>>27581966
Why don't you try answering these questions yourself? Every person has different paths and makes different decisions
>>
>>27582035
>dude just argue with yourself so I don't have to

I'm not even depressed, I'm just pointing out how retarded it is to say that everyone can be happy.
>>
>>27580857
Not the guy you were replying to, but I watched the whole damn thing. Good stuff, I liked it.
>>
>>27581966
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie_(feral_child)
Apparently, she's happy now.
>>
>>27581966
So you gave up even before you tried?
I will give you an advice which I havent given anyone else because its the one that actually worked for me. Try adopting the "me against the world" mentality. It will lead you to suicide every once in a while but you will gain a shitton out of it if you manage to handle the... urges. Good luck anon.
>>
File: 1303121866797.jpg (15 KB, 367x338) Image search: [Google]
1303121866797.jpg
15 KB, 367x338
If you aren't happy then fucking change your life instead of just coasting on the same path and expecting something to be different. Wageslavery making you miserable? Get a job that you would enjoy more. Put effort into learning skills that would get you a better job. Do something independently to make money. Failing with women? Make yourself seem more attractive to them. Workout and get in great shape. Dress better. Get a better haircut/style. Even if you have shit genetics you can probably make yourself at least wanted by some women. Yeah, you may have been dealt cards in life that will prevent you from having as good of a life as some others but you can probably put steps into making your life better than it is now, maybe even to the point where you would be satisfied and happy with things.

Stop tricking yourself into thinking there is absolutely nothing you can do to be happy. You're just being lazy and you want an excuse to give up. Im not being a deluded normie, I'm saying this because I was in the same board and I finally realized how much it was mostly just my mindset that was causing my failures. I'm a 2/10 ugly as fuck dude born into a poor family but I turned shit around enough to make my life enjoyable and myself quite happy.

No excuses, faggots.
>>
>>27582070
It is retarded, you're right, that's you're perspective so why would i argue like i will change your mind.
>>
>>27582173
What did you do personally to better yourself and your situation?
>>
>>27582168
See:
>>27582070

I'm just making a point about the idea that happiness is a choice. Suppose that there is a guide that tells you exactly what steps you need to take in order to become happy. If people don't have access to that guide, they still won't be able to "choose" happiness.

>>27582116
I was referring to her childhood circumstances, but I'm glad she's doing better.
>>
>>27580403
>doesn't do anything to improve his well being and outlook on life
>complains about being unhappy

WAAA WAAA WAAA MY COMPUTER WON'T START WAAA WAA WHY DO I HAVE TO TURN IT ON FOR IT TO WORK!!!!
>>
>>27580640
>justworldfallacy
If the reason you are unhappy is the unjust world then why complain. Life has already been determined and you have no power over its outcome. Why cry over facts? Why cry over reality? The answer is clear: kill yourself
>>
>>27581932
>get a better job
Underage fag detected.
>>
>>27582244
Clever. I've never thought of it like that.
>>
>>27582206
Literally everything I just said. I practiced a skill I wanted to learn and saved up money to get official certifications in it and got a well paying job doing it on a daily basis. I got in great shape, learned to dress better and got a hair cut that actually looks good for my head. I stopped giving a fuck about rejection and started approaching women until I found someone that was happy to be with me. I stopped blaming everyone else for everything that goes wrong in my life.
>>
>>27582236
Why is it that there is a higher incidence of depression in people of low socio-economic status? Why is it that poor people tend not to be able to take the steps needed to become happy?
>>
>>27580717
Holy shit. The mind of a normie. Wow. I just can't imagine feeling pride for something as dumb as a cooking job. Also you sound reddit as fuck...

>I feel more win
>like a boss

probably another one who came in the flood. Fuck off.
>>
>>27582214
I've burned out my depression and indecisiveness with years' worth of rage anon. I can only feel happy/delighted now. I dont have any other options.
>>
>>27582271
Sometimes other people ARE responsible for your problems, though. You ever think of that?
>>
>>27582328
Of course they are. There are times in your life where your misery is a direct consequence of actions from other people, but I fail to see how this could be the case over the long term. If you are an adult you are your own person. If you parents are fucking your shit up then go make a new life somewhere else. Save some money, move out and get on with your life before they consume it.
>>
>>27582276
>depression
>muh "DDERRRPRESSION"

women are twice as likely to be depressed. by your logic you would ask why men are so good at being happy? because most men i know have rough as shit lives.

depression doesn't mean anything. anyone and everyone can use that excuse to do something retarded. as for classes, poor people are generally less competent and yeah they deal with their problems less effectively. why does "happiness :):):)" peak at around 1.7 times median salary? because money can only do so much about making dealing with shit easier. but the key is still in dealing with that shit and improving your life. if you're a mentally crippled fuck (NOT depression or anxiety) then you're a one in a million who actually needs therapy and a new life and constant support. you're basically a retard who can't control his emotions. but for the general case of loser teen/young adult who doesn't know what to live for, yeah its a fucking choice and you have every right to complain or do something about it.

using statistics here if FUCKING retarded. you might as well argue that being obese is not a choice because only like 5% of obese fucking morons ever lose weight. shit on yourself, cunt.
im not mad btw
>>
>>27582260
Get a DIFFERENT job. How am i underage because you don't want to put in the work to change your situation?
>>
>>27582445
>le deression isnt real bro xDD

Literally Chad
>>
>>27582618
its as real as any emotional state, fuccboi. if you define your life by it or say it's out of your hands and that's why you make shitty decisions then i'm saying you're making a mistake. you're just as much a LITERAL CHAD for being a stubborn prick.
>>
>>27582478
>different job
Oh, because there's such thing as a job that doesn't make you miserable? Or am I just chooooosing to be unhappy again?
>>
>>27582445
When did I ever say I was unhappy?

And it looks like you missed the point pretty hard, so I'll spell it out for you.

Let's say being happy IS a choice. The fact that certain groups are statistically less likely to be happy indicates that the "choice" to be happy is heavily influenced by our circumstances. And yes, you can say the exact same thing about obesity (poor people are more likely to be fat). Poor people are often poor because they're unintelligent, and that's why you hear people saying that "healthy food is too expensive." It doesn't even occur to them to look up how to eat healthy for cheap. Sure, we know that everyone is capable of taking the steps necessary to lose weight, but if they aren't aware of those steps, they won't be able to make that choice.
>>
>>27582713
if you hate your job and you don't change it, yeah that's the choice you're making. it couldn't be any more clear than that. not that guy.

you could balance it out with a nice life outside of work. that's what i had to do during college when i worked as a tutor because the only alternatives i had for making money were sales and food service and i did try those and it was worse.
>>
>>27582741
>I
what? I didn't say anything about you.

>Let's say being happy IS a choice
Yeah, thank you. what is your argument? That our choices aren't 100% determined by will? Do you think you're speaking to someone who believes that they are? What is wrong with you?
>>
>>27582768
>implying anyone has a job they don't hate
>implying having fun outside of work makes up for it
Is this the "shit normies say" thread?
>>
>>27582825
Please stop posting until you sober up.
>>
File: 1386301028371.png (365 B, 160x144) Image search: [Google]
1386301028371.png
365 B, 160x144
>>27580511
>discharged from mental hospital 2 years ago
>decide to step my fucking game up
>get /fit/ in less than a year
>gettin that college education and getting above average grades
>no more insomnia
>learn to cook and bake because I love it
>get back into drawing
>lose virginity
>can speak publicly without stuttering like a faggot
In spite of coming a long way my depression is still crippling so suck a fucking cock with that bullshit
I did my fucking part where's my happiness
>>
>>27582938
um you obviously just didn't do it right lol everyone can be happy
>>
>>27582868
>nobody can be happy unless they drink
then drink little buddy. come up with a better argument next time.

>>27582827
yeah it is, wagecuck. even if you can't navigate a career that you would feel good about, you had an entire lifetime to prepare. you can regret the fact that you're a piece of shit who can only do bad jobs or you can make better choices about your life starting now. if you're helpless then there's nothing to complain about. get used to your job like you got used to your pathetic lifestyle.
>>
File: 1437325477165.jpg (24 KB, 387x461) Image search: [Google]
1437325477165.jpg
24 KB, 387x461
>make an attempt at improving my life
>workout regularly
>take vitamins and supplements
>new clothes, grooming
>go back to school
>picked up a few hobbies
>going out more
>made some aquaintances

>still a miserable piece of shit

Never listen to normie advice. Back to NEET life.
>>
File: 0wg40c0.gif (133 KB, 573x402) Image search: [Google]
0wg40c0.gif
133 KB, 573x402
>>27582952
You asked for a decent response and I gave you one
Now you're the one shitposting?
>>
>>27582965
I asked you to sober up because you're being incomprehensible. My entire argument is that our choices aren't 100% determined by free will, so why are you arguing with me? You seem to agree. What point are you making?
>>
You can take steps to improve your situation, but ultimately much of your behavior is determined by the physical structure of your brain. Being stupid means that certain areas of your brain are undeveloped, being depressed means that your 'happy juice' neurotransmitters don't work as well, and being anxious means your have problems with your amygdala and frontal lobe. You have much less free will than you actually think.
>>
>>27582938
Did you do all of those things because you wanted to or because you expected some reward for being normal for once in your life?

Your happiness is wherever you realize happiness. There is no such thing as constant depression. If the only shit you feel happy about are unhealthy and unwise, then you need to get help.
>>
>>27582303
Wagecuck here, working at Mcdicks is depressing as hell, so I became a care aid. It's part time but it's super gratifying, getting paid to watch people die, it's like working at Mcdicks only I don't feel like I'm giving people heart problems or causing their death.

Depression time, you're going to fucking die, choose how. Are you going to off yourself and lower the population by one? Or are you going to get off your ass and enjoy your selfloathing and hatred towards yourself by choosing to look at the silver lining? Is it sunny? Did you masterbate to loli porn? Are you going to live one more day to see what the world has to give you?

There is always something out there past your black cloud of depression despite how dark your clouds are.
>>
>>27582981
That's a fucking retarded argument. Why would you even bring it up? "well actshuallliee dogs don't bark, it's the fibers in their throat and muscles in their jaws that use energy derived once from the sun..."

Use your brain, son, I'm not talking about how different people are. I'm saying in the context of your (You) own life, you have decisions which will have consequences. Sometimes those decisions are actually complex or beyond you, but anyone knows when they make a bunch of bad ones. if your whole life is out of your hands, that's the easiest decision of them all. join a religion or go live in the woods it doesn't seem like you would care.
>>
>>27582965
OK, but let's say I start working on getting the skills to be happy in the future. Are you telling me I should be happy now, even though nothing has changed yet, other than working towards a goal?
>>
>>27582993
You can never use that argument, people will nail you for it. For good reason. Doing nothing is unacceptable. You WILL be hated for it.
>>
>>27583082
Your dog analogy makes no sense. That's splitting hairs. I'm not. If the question is "can people choose to be happy" than whether we can choose anything is central to the debate, not some nitpick.

>Sometimes those decisions are actually complex or beyond you
All of your decisions are out of your control.

>if your whole life is out of your hands
It is.

What determines the decisions you make? A logical thought process, using your past experiences (out of your control) and environment (out of your control). For a person to choose to be happy, they need to have the discipline required to take the steps to be happy (determined by their past experiences which formed into habits), they need the resources to take those steps (determined by their upbringing), and they need to happen upon what those steps actually are (which can obviously only come from an external source).

I'm not saying "hurr nothing we do matters there's nothing we can do everything is pointless and pre-determined." No good would come of that. But for a person to make the choice to be happy, a lot of factors outside of their control have to line up perfectly. That's why certain groups of people tend to be less happy than others.
>>
>>27583280
What is control, in your mind?
>>
>>27583146
I would expect you to find pleasure in pursuing those goals. But if your life is that shitty that you can't stop thinking about the non-rewarding bits, I would suggest shit like meditation or finding a mentor(s) to begin with.

As much as I will insult someone for not believing in themselves, I don't think happiness is something you just suddenly walk into except in the case of falling in love. Most people have shitty luck and it might take months or years of good habits to begin seeing a good life in front of you. If you set yourself up for failure for 10-20 years whether you realized it or not, there are things you have to compensate for or undo before you can stop faking your happiness and really living in it.
>>
>>27583329
>just meditate, bro :^)
Meditation doesn't take away the stress of wagecucking. Meditation won't make it to where I won't have to go to work tomorrow.
>>
>>27583280
Why did all those factors line up for you (You) or someone else to be unhappy? Why did those factors line up for you to spend your day shitposting about how you don't actually make any decisions?

Alright have it your way, dumb shit. You are not (You), you are the sum of a bunch of random factors or whatever. It doesn't make this shit any different. Be a different set of factors that produce a happy mentality. As clever as you think you are there is nothing poetic about forfeiting responsibility. Like I said, go shit in the woods for a few years if you're under this impression or make someone tell you how to live. Buy some motivational cds and do whatever they say.
>>
>>27583361
i could just as easily say the stress of wagecucking won't take away the pleasure of being alive.

if it doesn't help then it doesn't help, it's not the only thing that people use to leave work at work. become an alcoholic for a while and hit rock bottom, then anything you do will feel good after you recover.
>>
>>27583464
>the stress from wagecucking can just be forgotten
Spoken like a true normie. Maybe you can choose to be happy, but don't speak for everyone.
>>
>>27583420
I come from a rich family so things were pretty much made for me. Good parenting made me mentally healthy and a hard worker. I went to great schools which got me into an elite university. I met like-minded people to become friends with. I'm going to have a great job when I graduate. Pretty obvious stuff, really. It's a no-brainer that I would be less happy if I were born to an alcoholic single mother.

I agree that there's nothing poetic about forfeiting responsibility. There's no benefit to seeing things that way, it's just the way things are. Deny it all you like, but there's plenty of statistics and scientific studies supporting the idea that we have almost no control over our decision-making.
>>
>>27583537
and plenty of studies that we do. if you were anywhere near the mark with your reductionism we could prevent all future crime overnight.

>>27583491
sorry pal it's not my choice to speak for everyone, i just do! just be yourself, it works for me.
>>
>>27580546
>Rather than shitposting I'd like an intelligent response
You don't deserve one.
>>
>>27583607
Determinism is complicated.
>>
>>27580542
I could hit you back, that would make me feel pretty good.
>>
>>27583676
as complicated as any philosophy. choosing just one of the easier ones to explain everything is silly. even ancient romans tried harder.
>>
It's partly a choice, but also partly luck. Your circusmtances,family, genetics, personality all can impact your ability to be happy. But so can your mind and the processes you choose to undertake.

There is no clear cut answer, rather there are explanations of various factors.

What we can do is important. If society is the cause of our unhappiness then let's change society. This is the goal of socialists.

If you are unhappy because you don't eat healthy, don't socialize, hate your job, don't make an effort to help others, don't attempt to develop wisdom and compassion, etc, then it is partly your fault. But also the fault of the socialization process.

However, once you realize this, you can decide to undertake to change those factors and see how it inpacts you.

Getting therapy can also help.
>>
File: 1458117171852.jpg (229 KB, 1485x1114) Image search: [Google]
1458117171852.jpg
229 KB, 1485x1114
>>27580795
WE MOVE ON! FUCK IT! SHE'S GONE! 6 YEARS CAME AND GONE! YOU MADE A PROMISE WITH HER TO MAKE SURE YOU GET HER THROUGH COLLEGE! YOU DO YOU HELP HER AS MUCH AS YOU CAN PUSHING YOURSELF TILL YOU GET A HERNIA AT THE AGE OF 23 THEN SHE ENDS UP BLOWING UP IN YOUR FACE CAUSE SHE DOESN"T KNOW HOW TO COMMUNICATE! WE MOVE ON! (i can't go on)
>>
>>27583688
What if you're up against someone much stronger and better at fighting and then get beaten even more? Still able to make the choice of feeling good?
>>
File: 1329478676182.jpg (317 KB, 906x1103) Image search: [Google]
1329478676182.jpg
317 KB, 906x1103
The only people who I hear say this are women. I've never once heard a man say it. They're usually young women too; but I have heard a few in their 60's and 70's say it as well. And almost without exception, they have been women who have not had to work a single day in their lives up to this point. They have had everything paid for by their parents, and either still are or are now leeching off another man. Are there that many femanons on /r9k/?
>>
>>27583899
When I hear it from men it's usually guy in their 40's who are millionaires.

Of course I'd be happy in their shoes.
>>
>>27583899
because mostly women talk about or focus on their emotions.

men just see success as their goal.

all you've done is admitted that you are yourself a spoiled idiot if that's all you see, and that you have never been on /r9k/ before to realize that men can still talk about their emotions privately even if its not as big of a deal as achieving something.
>>
>>27583916
would you be happy in their shoes when they were 20 probably working 15-18 hours a day?
>>
File: 1458963015933-r9k.jpg (65 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1458963015933-r9k.jpg
65 KB, 720x480
>>27583830
Have you ever ran from the police? Its a real trill. How much more so when its some giant dude trying to fucking kill you...
>also
I carry a switchblade sooo...

If you want to commit to thinking negatively, thaths fine. But dont get online and whine about it like a faggot...
You should read up on stoicism and after that some buddhist philosopy and a nice helping of the teachings of laozu. Maybe then you'll understand.
>>
There's this nurse at this local clinic I go to. She's a really sweet, nice and funny lady. She's in her late 30's/early 40's.

She always has this thing about her where she wants to be as happy as possible. When I spoke to her last, it was the same way. She always says things like "You always have to be happy and positive! You have to keep smiling!" when talking to patients and coworkers.

Recently I was speaking to her, she started talking about how she's estranged from some of her family members and had to move here to be close with her father, one of the few family members she's still in contact with.

I feel like she's really depressed. Are all people who are overly happy, optimistic, and positive like this? Do they just put on this mask of optimism to cover up depression?
>>
>>27583944
fuck you, happiness being a choice is just not true. I have only seen people who have never had to work, who have had no serious health concerns beyond the occasional cold, and who have a good family life say this. Apparently men can, but I haven't witnessed it yet. Go tell a fucking 7 year old with a terminal illness that he should just be happy. Or maybe a teen with a horrible deformity that they should just be happy. Go tell the homeless veterans that can't get any financial aid because they're white men, or cannot get jobs because they have ptsd that they should just choose to be happy with sleeping on the cold dirt. seriously, fuck you. fuck you for thinking people who don't think happiness is a choice are spoiled. It's the exact opposite.
>>
>>27583969
Sigh... it's this meme again
>>
>>27582998
Shut up you idiot, clinical depression is different from being sad, since it actually has to do with the way your brain functions. Changing your lifestyle won't change your brain, though you seem to lack the intelligence to understand that people aren't sad just because they are too lazy to change their ways. They are sad because of an immutable factor that cannot be changed, even with antidepressants (which don't work for many people)
>>
>>27583969
If it meant getting good money then without a fucking doubt I would.
>>
>>27584019
no its pretty rare. they do it to fit in or as her jobs requires it, to be a better employee. sometimes it works though. people can convince themselves that they are happy just like they can convince themselves that they are depressed.

everyone has problems and gets down once in a while. it's all relative, too. if your family falls apart then other problems won't be a big deal for a long time. you might even snap and take a long vacation away from everything. in the long run though it's really about how you live your life that determines how you feel.
>>
>>27584077
I would yell them life is suffering.
>>
>>27584005
>commit to thinking negatively
If your 'choice' to become happy is by punching that guy back then it'll be subject to reality where things don't always go according to what you want. You can't just assume your 'choice' is going to work out, unaffected by external factors.
>>
I can choose to be happy, but it only lasts for a bit. After a day, or even a few hours, my mind realizes "you're just deluding yourself, and you're not actually happy", and then I sink into an even worse sadness.
>>
File: 1429194721642.webm (769 KB, 344x261) Image search: [Google]
1429194721642.webm
769 KB, 344x261
>>27580511
Life is literally 1s and 0s though anon, you don't get it
Biology is at fault, not me. Society also.
>>
>>27581118
>make some friends
People are shit though.
>>
>>27584130
any money would have been good if you had that drive. i don't think you understand how people become wealthy.

>>27584077
i said you're spoiled because you're surrounded by spoiled women. most girls work from a young age and its always been that way. you wouldn't have the opportunity to spew bullshit like that unless you were in an environment where girls live easy and men don't bother talking about muh happiness since they see it as a pussy thing to do.

as for defining people by their severe problems, that's entirely just perspective. the terminal kid could be happy because he's a a kid with a great family. the homeless vet could be happy because he's actually an accomplished vet with all the freedom in the world. i didn't say shitty things don't happen or that you need to feel good about everything that is inherently negative to your health or quality of life. i only think there are choices that can help you and if you make enough you will be happier if not "happy" you woman.
>>
>>27584181
You cant just assume that it wont.
There is no certainty either way, life is kind of a craps game. Youre up, youre down; but obsessing over the fact that youe life isnt perfect, is a complete waste of time. I wasted my teens (13-18)
Sitting around my room, isolating myself from everyone because 'fuck, im not cool, im not attractive, im not rich, im not happy 24/7.

Its a fucking fantasy. Everybody suffers, everybody is going to die. Accept it and move on.
>>
File: 1363053834539.jpg (150 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1363053834539.jpg
150 KB, 1024x576
>>27584213
wrong faggot, life is a triplet code, not binary
>>
>>27580403
depression is a meme. one moment you're "woe is me" then the next you're taking a wicked shit trying not to rip your asshole open.

seriously if you self-identify as "depressed" just make a tumblr account and fuck off already
>>
>>27584287
>i don't think you understand how people become wealthy.
I dont think you do either. By that logic the asians in the sweat shops should all be billionaires. They work the hardest after all right?
>>
everyone here is a horrible person
>>
>>27584287
you're right that i'm surrounded by spoiled women, but when the subject comes up for whatever reason, the men in my family basically unanimously agree that happiness is not a choice, while about three quarters of the women agree that it is a choice, despite the fact that they're fucking devastated when their phones break for whatever reason.

Happiness is a chemical. Different things trigger it for different people. Some people have very few triggers, while some people have tons. Some people have triggers constantly going off and some people have triggers never going off. It is not a choice.
>>
>>27584343
>should
what?

asians in the west are generally wealthier yeah, because of hard work. if you're in a sweat shop rather than building your own business or craft then i'm pretty sure you're forced to financially rather than driving yourself to do so. not that this has anything to do with millionaires in their 40s.
>>
>>27580511
What if you literally can't experience happiness? Being "happy" is simply a chemical being released in the brain. People with severe depression/mental illnesses can't get the same feeling of accomplishment that others can
>>
>>27582173
>Get a job that you would enjoy more.

You imply that such a thing exists.
>>
>>27584385
>TRIGGERED
believe it or not unhappiness is also a 'chemical' by that perspective and you can learn to trigger it less often than you TRIGGER WARNING your happiness chemical. your shitty anecdote and vague explanation doesn't even argue anything, it just says that you define choice in a way that keeps you from being responsible for your own relationship with the world around you. if this is just a semantics problem for you then what would you be complaining about? if they didn't choose to be happier then they certainly didn't choose to believe it was a choice, so you can't be upset at them for anything. and you can't rely on just your own intuitions to describe reality, because if its all just chemicals and triggers then you're just as blind as everyone else to it.
>>
>>27584418
how would you know what happiness is if you can't experience it? how would you know what depression is?

you can't seriously be arguing that someone can see "i don't get the same feeling as accomplishment as someone else" as a problem when they have an actual mental illness. that's like getting stabbed by a maniac and instead of defending yourself you wonder why the knife is sharper than you would have liked.
>>
>>27584457
>>27584488
the more sun you get the more serotonin your brain makes. if you spend all day inside and ruminate over trivial shit of course your brain is going to produce less happy chemicals.

sick of depressedfags acting like armchair biochemists so they can justify their meme disorder
>>
>>27580403
People are dumb, nothing new. Depression is a product of a combination of genetic and environmental factors, neither of which we can control. All it takes is some bad serotonine mutation and boom, you are likely to have various anxiety issues for your entire life regardless of what you do. Not to mention more classic and apparent issues such as small stature or an unattractive face. All we can do is try with the hand we've been given, sometimes the math works out and sometimes it simply doesn't.
>>
>>27584393
Something tells me youre a random poorfag who still believes in the just world fallacy.

Enjoy your "hard work" anon.
>>
>>27584605
i don't work hard. you need reading glasses.
>>
>>27584578
Because you used to be able to enjoy things and be happy but you no longer can? If your brain can no longer properly regulate serotonin or dopamine you don't have the ability to feel "happy" anymore.

If you're diagnosed with a terminal illness you can "think" all you want you don't actually have it, but in the end you still do. It works the same way. Simply changing things or trying your hardest to think you're happy won't change anything.

I have a pretty good experience with it because I'm a schizoid.
>>
>>27580511
What if you have cancer
>>
>>27584578
You can simply compare a persons behavior with others and draw conclusions about their experienced reality from that. Chad feels good and naturally acts like it. The qualia of consciousness of a 30 year old virgin NEET is obviously more likely to be akin to a nightmare hence why he/she acts like a damaged recluse.
>>
>>27582173
Fucking normie shit, I have depression, there is no "cause"

A change of scenery won't do shit, that's like telling me to change my wallpaper when it's the wall itself that I hate
>>
>>27580403
if you are depressed it is not a choice, but when you are healthy it is one
You should never try to be happy you should just try to understand suffering
End your thirst to end suffering and become happy
>>
>>27580546
> What are you doing to be more happy
Studying, excercising, being social, all it's accopmlishing is making me more cynical and hatefull. Shove you're opinions up your cunt. You cunt.
>>
>>27584680
>properly regulate
>happiness is just 2 neurotransmitters being regulated "properly"
this doesn't mean anything. there's a reason why drugs are ineffective. people don't know jack shit about depression, but if you're talking about brain damage or maldevelopment, there are tests for that and i have the feeling there would far greater concerns than "i used to be happier LOL :XDDD" if literal brain damage is fucking up your neurotransmitter receptors for fundamental fucking cellular functions.

anyway, have you ever thought something was wrong or negative and it turned out you were right? are you able to choose things that can hurt you or cause distress? then no this isn't about muh chemistry lesson in high school or your schizoid "experience." this is simple human behavior and emotional response.
>>
File: the best troll of all.jpg (86 KB, 343x640) Image search: [Google]
the best troll of all.jpg
86 KB, 343x640
>>27580511
this is perfect, anon you just triggered every robot on /r9k/ with one post nice b8
>>
>>27584592

I was this guy:
>>27584457

That's my only post in this thread. I haven't been blabbing on about chemicals and shit, I don't know nearly enough about the brain to talk about that stuff.

I go outdoors, I have friends, I go for a run every other day (losing weight at a steady pace), and I'm studying computer science at one of the best universities in the UK. I've never had a girlfriend or got laid before, but I'll readily admit that's just because I'm shit at socialising.

The trouble is I don't enjoy anything. Everything I do is either due to societal pressure (e.g. the degree) or an attempt to make time pass faster. I'm pretty much waiting for the part where either life gets good or I grow old and die. I used to like retro video games and anime, but I don't anymore. I still do those things because it's what I know, but I get no enjoyment out of them. There is not a single job or hobby that appeals to me at all.

As a side note, I used to see the good in people, as well, but as I see more and more shitty news, and examples of humans being scumbags, I've come to the conclusion that it's simply fact that people are shitheads, and anybody who believes otherwise is ignorant.

Anyway, the point is, I genuinely don't think there is a single job out there that I could classify as "something I enjoy". Work = bad, no matter what kind of work it is.
>>
>>27584870
>doing things that make him more cynical and unhappy, to be more happy
you're a really bright fellow. why don't you just bury yourself in sand?
>>
>>27584887
its completely true that there's a choice in just attention whoring on the internet, though. at least the alternative can potentially help down the road.
>>
>>27584928
>in just attention whoring on the internet
Sorry bro, we don't have usernames here. Unlike Reddit, there is literally no way for us to gain karma (unless you tripfag of course ;)
>>
File: buddha wojak.jpg (104 KB, 500x637) Image search: [Google]
buddha wojak.jpg
104 KB, 500x637
>>27584854
(If anyone wants to learn about Buddhism try the book "What the Buddha Taught" I had an amazing time reading it and it does a way better job explaining true happiness and how to achieve it than me)
>>
>>27584907
I'm doing everything that is supposed to make me happy, it's not working, i.e. your advice is, in my opinion, worthless feel good horseshit
>>
>>27580511
sorry, anon but i simply can't choose to be blissfully ignorant, my life is shit and alot of things in the world are shit and i hate it, i can't pretend that everything is ok when i, WE know damn well that its not.
>>
>>27584958
>usernames are important to attention whoring about depression
you're completely right, boss. you can't brag on 4chan either. i'm a happily married dude who works as a data scientist and it's fun to laugh at how naive people can be here. but i'm definitely not bragging or seeking attention here.
>>
>>27585015
how is it "supposed" to make you happy if you are less happy doing it, you braindead clown? this is the opposite of the worthless feelgood "be yourself" advice. maybe somewhere down the middle is a smart strategy because you do healthy shit and you do fun shit and it balances out, but all you've said is that you actively make yourself unhappy and then you argue with the concept that it's a choice. fucking moron, jesus.
>>
File: 1459321350250.jpg (329 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1459321350250.jpg
329 KB, 1280x800
>tfw Borderline
>tfw my happiness means nothing
>tfw I will never experience true happiness
>>
>>27584905
Timothy is that you?
>>
>>27585129
then don't. you can be the example that nobody should follow.
>>
>>27585138
Nope, sorry.

>oregano 1010101
>>
>>2758495
Usernames are not necessary for attention whoring. When you do it, you are posting and provoking interest/attention to your post. It doesn't have to be related to your name or username. You are discussing with people and want their attention.
>>
>>27585220
>>27584958
Messed up the post number quote
>>
>>27585118
>I'm not happy
> do things that were recommended to you that are supposed to make you feel happy
>doesn't work
> why are you doing things that are supposed to make you feel happy you idiot
> kek
just stop talking, although it actually is kind of funny, seeing you realise that your horseshit is worhless. At least you are amusing me, guess I should find joy in that.
>>
>>27585129
I have borderline too! Except im a guy
>>
File: 1457668152988.gif (70 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1457668152988.gif
70 KB, 600x600
>>27585240
I'm a guy too, faglord.

I still refuse to believe women actually post on /r9k/.
>>
>>27580511
I swear to god I wish this was true, but seriously, it's a fucking normie meme.

I wish I could just switch off my brain for a day and be "happy" through choice. Anon... It does not fucking work like that.

People like me at least (clinical depression- inherited from mom's side genetics) can never be happy through choice. I choose every day to try and be happy but I can't. My brain doesn't produce enough of the happy chemical, so the trying is futile. I am literally battling a biological deficiency to try and be happy- it's just not possible.

So fuck off with your normie tier talk- you like to think that happiness is a choice because it makes YOU feel better about other people's misery. It consolidates your normie selfishness. People like me can never be happy, and I've learned to accept it.

Normies will never understand.
>>
>>27585237
1. one day you'll realize not everyone finds satisfaction in the same things
2. one day you'll figure out the difference between a question and a recommendation.
3. one day you may be able to learn just enough about what you don't like that you will make better choices for yourself
>getting insulted is amusing
get a gf and have her cuck you then.
>>
>>27585329
>as I already said, kek, you sure wrecked me.
>>
>>27585307
whining about genetics and pop science is the most normie thing you can do. normies came up with this shit about how they can't help but act on impulse and still want more. more free shit, less rules, no accountability, whatever.

clinical depression is exactly what you said it is. a middle aged womans problem when everything else has lost its excitement and is stable.

normies think exactly like you but their choice to be happy every day is plummeting into a bottle of beer or food or music rather than bullshitting on the internet, even though more and more normies are doing that too.

you could not be any more ordinary in your philosophy. if you had even an ounce of self awareness you'd be in the top 20% of modern society.
>>
>>27585288
They don't. It's just a meme.
>>
File: 1448937349935.jpg (23 KB, 427x464) Image search: [Google]
1448937349935.jpg
23 KB, 427x464
>>27580511
>taking steps towards happiness
>mfw
Literally meaningless platitude: the post
You're so wise man, how can you be so wise ? Please enlighten us more. Hey people, look at him. He's so wise and cool !

>Shit, I can't figure out the cure for cancer
>Figuring out the cure for cancer is a choice
>No, it's not really the ca-
>You just choose to wallow around in self pity rather than taking steps towards finding the cure for cancer :^)
>Is this really all you have to say ?
>Yes, now go find it else you are to blame
>>
>>27585391
>clinical depression is exactly what you said it is. a middle aged womans problem when everything else has lost its excitement and is stable.
No, actually. I'm not that guy, but it's a chemical imbalance brought about by a myriad of factors which may differ from person to person.
>>
>>27585459
>he thinks engineering is hard
people are rewarded very generously when they try to study and treat cancer. you made the worst possible analogy in the history of this planet.
>>
>>27585491
>chemical imbalance
can you describe this imbalance quantitatively without resorting to normie reddit memes? also which brain regions are concerned?
>>
>>27585074
>i'm a happily married dude
Im sorry for you
>>
>>27585551
i don't think about you at all ;) -mad man
>>
>>27585571
Its ok anon. We all fell for the cuck meme that is marriage at some point. Most of us just grew out of this jewish meme when they grew older though.

Enjoy 50% of your assets, because its all you'll keep ;)
>>
>>27585514
Lack of dopamine/norepinepherine if stims help you. If SSRIs help you then it's lack of serotonin (which in my opinion is much rarer, hence why SSRIs turned out as ineffective as a placebo in that old study.)
>>
>>27585599
im in the top 20% of men though, so i get 80% of girl ASSets.

>every sitcom for 30 years trashes marriage
>every media network spreads the myth about divorce being common
>marriage is a jewish meme
>having a family is being a cuck

disrupted!
>>
>>27585493
>people are rewarded very generously when they...
So what ?
You are LITERALLY autistic. See that word ? Wrote it in all caps, must have given you a hard on, you just love taking things literally, don't you ? Retarded piece of shit.
Where the fuck do you idiots even come from ? The point is that he's telling people to take steps towards a seemingly impossible goal and blaming them when they inevitably fail, the analogy is perfectly fine, you're just too autistic to get it and bring up irrelevant off topic facts.
You actually deserve to be never leave R9K.
>>
>>27585514
You're not one of those "monoamine doesn't exist!" fuckwits, are you?

http://psychcentral.com/news/2006/11/09/depressions-chemical-imbalance-explained/398.html
>>
>>27585363
I'm anally devasteted, ractum raptured, clitboiled, rectal abscessed, colon ravaged, kokot damaged, etc.
cum on(me). entrtain me.jebo
>>
>>27585616
>old
there hasn't been any effective drug. also that's not quantitative. dopamine deficiency can mean that you can't form memories or move your hands enough to write out a shitpost.
>>
>>27585641
>im in the top 20% of men though
>Post on 4chin
>top 20%
Pick one and only one friend

>>every sitcom for 30 years trashes marriage
I don't watch sitcoms, I'm not a pleb unlike you.

>>every media network spreads the myth about divorce being common
If you don't believe the media just check your goverment's official numbers. Protip: they werent lying.

>>marriage is a jewish meme
Unfortunately it is nowadays

>>having a family is being a cuck
Where did I imply that?
>>
>>27585648
>having a better outlook on life is as impossible as curing cancer
do you have an argument?

>>27585661
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10775017
>>
>>27580511
>Everyone has the resources, support structures, and mental faculties necessary to make the changes needed to become happy!
How can people be competent enough to use a computer and still not understand the concept of circumstances?
>>
>>27585707
http://flowingdata.com/2016/03/30/divorce-rates-for-different-groups/

im actually in the top 5% but i was being modest.
>>
>>27585781
check your priviledge.
>>
>>27585690
The problem is we can't really quantify exact levels of neurotransmitters for most people, at least not with normal health insurance. And yes, you're right about those dopamine deficiency symptoms, but keep in mind even a small deficiency will cause depression. Same reason why normies who snort coke end up depressed during the crash. There's plenty of evidence on what neurotransmitters are increased via coke, and how they're decreased during the crash. Many chronically depressed robots are basically in a perpetual coke crash. However, depression can be caused by a metric fuckton of factors.

Also, you asked about the specific region of the brain, one answer I have for you is limbic system, which controls feelings of loneliness. There was a study pairing amount of loneliness felt with underactivity of the limbic system. Elliot Rodgers definitely had an underactive limbic system, which both lowered empathy and increased feelings of loneliness to the extent that it was too much for him. However, obviously I'm not a doctor or psychologist and I'm still studying depression so take everything I say with a grain of salt, I fully admit I'm still researching and trying to help my own depression.
>>
>>27585755
how would you know what resources or faculties it would require for you to be happy if you aren't?

why is it so common that happy people disagree with you, who have seen both happiness and unhappiness?

also why are you using a computer if you don't have the resources to change your lifestyle to be more positive?
>>
>>27585843
I'm not saying I'm one of the people in a no-win situation, exactly the opposite. I feel miserable most of the time, but I'm still trying to find my way.

I'm saying it shouldn't be hard to understand that not everyone is lucky like you or I am, to have the capability to make great changes in our lives.
>>
>>27585781
>im actually in the top 5% but i was being modest.
What are you talking about? Top 5% of divorce rates?

Young people don't divorce a lot, who would have guessed? Almost as if they haven't had the time to do so yet.
>>
>>27585827
>small deficiency
what does this mean? dopamine levels are not static throughout the day, let alone a lifetime.

>my own depression
if you researched even babbys first literature you'd see that your own behavior has far greater influence on depression than any drug yet discovered. whether or not it's as simple as one or two fucking chemicals in "balance" with their receptors, your legs and arms and heart are also chemicals which relay information back to the brain. fucking lightbulbs are better at treating depression than drugs for many people. you're not the only one clueless about it, everyone is. but that doesn't mean you can just say "muh genetics" and dismiss every fucking thing about depression that still mentions what you can do.
>>
>>27585754
Of course. Whether it's any form of depression (inb4 meme) that negates any positive thing or simply a lack of positive factors in someone's life there are cases where one simply does not have any opportunity to improve his condition.
He's blaming everyone for being unhappy as if we were all people who have given up on life without even trying which really isn't the case.
He's probably thinking about the NEETs on R9K that would probably benefit from trying, but he's generalizing and that is simply retarded. We're not all fat fucks who spend all day watching anime, doing nothing else.
>>
>>27585969
Sure, those are excellent points. At the same time though, as someone diagnosed with chronic depression, I noticed that mdma actually completely cured my depression for about six hours or so. I think neurotransmitters have a significant influence, for example taking a good B100 and multivitamin without copper.

Behavior is definitely the most important, though the problem lies in getting the motivation to change behavior. It's an endless loop of inactivity for many robots, at least myself. But you make some good points, I certainly haven't dismissed the ways I can improve my behavior like you said I did. It's just difficult, you know?
>>
File: 1457055108530.jpg (42 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1457055108530.jpg
42 KB, 720x720
>>27580511
Not OP but frankly fuck you. I try by damn best to improve my depression. I try to think more positive, pick up hobbies like fighting games, play tabletop rpgs, even do some light cardio.
And yet I still have days where I feel like an absolute fucking shit and it would be better to kill myself because I'm so fucking useless. And when I try to get help, what am I greeted by?

>"Because you just let it be that way"
>"You need to do your part"
>"You? Depressed? Only x and x kind of people can get depressed"
>Make me go a round of the suffering olympics to make me shut up

So then I'm left alone to wallow in anger in combination to said depression.
I try, oh God, I try to be happy, I even had some inklings of happiness, but depression isn't easy.
People like you, don't really help, just vomit the same platitudes over and over again to tickle your ego.

You never had sleepless nights full of depressing thoughts
You never had to go to the living room at 3 am to cry
You never thought how easy it would be to just to kill yourself
You never went through whole days feeling an awful combination of Uselessness, shame, sadness and anger

You say it's a choice. I want to be happy, I choose to be happy, why the hell am I not happy then?

Go back to normiebook you fucking faggot.
>>
>>27585921
assuming there are exceptions to the idea that people are capable of personally creating an impact on their mental health, why would that discredit the entire process or anyone who believes it? you wouldn't excuse some punk ass middle class kid stealing from you just because some people in the past stole during a famine.
>>
>>27580511
>first shitpost is always the worst
Every time. Newfags are a cancer.
>>
>>27585391
Are you for fucking real? You literally have no clue about what it is to have to battle a constant misery and emptiness within you that you can't explain.

I can "try" to be happy, and every single fucking day, that's exactly what I do. So don't ever tell me I have normie tier philosophy about a proven chemical imbalance in my brain that is evident in every damn generation of my mom's side of the family.

I have NO CONTROL over my depression. Some days it subsides. Some days I feel fucking invincible. Most days I can't look people in their eyes because I'm dying inside for no reason. Some days I cry myself to sleep, punch myself in the face and say disgusting things to the people that are closest to me. Sometimes I don't wash for weeks. Sometimes I consider killing myself for literally no reason other than I feel like shit.

You don't think for a second that I wouldn't CHOOSE to be happy in those situations? What makes you think I want to be in such a terrible state out of choice?

I'm a /fit/ bro, relatively decent looking, studying for a degree at one of the top institutions in the world. Yet I feel like utter shit on a daily basis and have no satisfaction in anything that I do or accomplish. The gym is the only thing that gives me some kind of happiness when I'm there- physical activity releases the endorphins and for a moment, I actually do feel a bit happy.

But seriously, I want an answer. Tell me- from everything I've said here, how do I choose to be happy? How do make it a choice when it obviously isn't right now, at least for me? Amazing how the numerous doctors I've seen about my problem have failed to explain this option of happiness to me.
>>
>>27586060
>endless loop
i don't dig this mentality. but
>just difficult
i do know. i was counting "bad days" in college to convince myself to jump off a bridge after quitting a stressful as fuck job and realizing i didn't want to do anything anymore because i just didn't connect with anyone or anything.

i was well aware that i was making dumb as fuck choices with skipping class and not sleeping or eating well even before i considered it depression or muh genetics. i was punching myself in the face and burning my hands under hot water because i'd play video games as a last resort of seeking pleasure and still failed.

i don't know what that would be to a doctor along with all the physiological problems i had around other people, but i'm pretty sure that i wouldn't have gotten better unless i changed my behavior gradually and effectively. people might have different catalysts but you get a fuck load of time to try new things when you don't care anymore. i can certainly empathize with the concept that life can be difficult and it's certainly not a choice to be happy all the time, but when someone reduces all this complex life shit down to "oh i was born like this" i get cancer.
>>
>>27586121
It doesn't discredit people that believe in the process, it discredits shortsighted people that say
>It's all a choice bro! Just get out there and find what works for you! Everybody's got problems man! :)
With no regard for what the person's situation might be.

It's taking a real, meaningful message and reducing it to a platitude on the same level as, "Just bee urself!" which is what bothers me.
>>
>>27586226
read
>>27586307

you choose to be happy by understanding what makes you happy. for me it was pursuing a relationship. i had to start from literally vomiting and having a loud as fuck stomach growling and being all sweaty but it felt good to be around girls as many times as i had to fail. i'd ease the pain of loneliness at the end of the day with movies or justin.tv streams.

for you it could just be making friends or gaining certain skills or whatever. you like being active? start there and make it more prominent in your lifestyle. doctors probably just don't care. find support groups if you really want other people involved or follow someone who you would like to emulate more. when someone says they don't like anything i don't tend to trust them, that's something everyone has said before. you can say you have brain problemz but being that dysfunctional means that drugs will make a huge difference.

it is a normie philosophy to whine about everything though.
>>
>its your choice for other people not to hate you
>just be yourself
>wuh-what
>>
>>27586360
okay but here's the problem. one guy says "i can't be happy" and the other guy responds with an equally short sentiment about how they can.

you also misinterpret the "steps toward happiness" as some on-switch that was just neglected all this time.

just bee yourself is the complete opposite btw.
>>
bumperino neighbourino
Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.