[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw psychiatrist diagnosed me with a milder version of PTSD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
>tfw psychiatrist diagnosed me with a milder version of PTSD due to sexual abuse and bullying in middle school

Out of all the illnesses it had to be a meme illness...

I'm not a grill btw so don't get any lewd ideas
>>
Almost all mental illnesses are meme illnesses. There's no rigor to the diagnoses.
>>
>>27579746
>DSM-V
>>
>aspergers isnt qualified for tardbux in my country
>>
>>27579884
Is PTSD a valid autismbux-diagnos?

Serious question, if I can stop the wagecucking with this shit that would be a dream come true.
>>
>psycho tendisis and paranoia

I wish I was normie
>>
>>27579860
Meme: The Book
>mental illnesses are a democracy
>>
>>27579860
>dsm-v
>the book that changes qualifications for mental diseases on a regular basis
>>
>>27579860
What point are you trying to make? The DSM-V is garbage. It's basically a grab bag of symptoms for each illness, and two people with no overlapping symptoms can be diagnosed with the same illness. Not to mention the subjectivity of the person making the diagnosis; one psychiatrist might say you have condition A, another might say you're fine or have something completely different. The high levels of comorbidity between each mental illness just shows how poorly defined they are.
>>
>>27579941
that may be true, but psychology/psychiatry is a soft science. it's not concrete like calculus or physics. it's subjective by nature, so the handbook on it will be subjective too, don't you think?
>>
>>27579512
Kind of sickening how people trivialize something as devastating as PTSD.
>>
File: 1440627786046.jpg (47 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1440627786046.jpg
47 KB, 600x800
The DSM-V is a product of a business seeking to attain customers for life. It is the model of their industry. You see this evidenced in their therapy practices. Also in their use of pharmaceuticals.
>>
File: 1455656758402.png (571 KB, 683x676) Image search: [Google]
1455656758402.png
571 KB, 683x676
>tfw my last two shrinks shirk the idea of diagnoses and instead treated me based on my symptoms
>>
>>27580327
Did you get any better?
>>
>>27579512
And when they say milder they mean you are fine and looking to be special.
>>
>>27580394
But I never even considered it before I went there. Their words not mine.

Are you implying the shrink wants me to be a special snowflake?
>>
>>27580390
I've seen major improvements over the last year. Doing some really fucking intense therapy right now that should hopefully make things infinitely better for me, too. When you find a good shrink, that shit can change your life.
>>
>>27581063
nice to hear, I hope I won't see you here anymore in the near future.
Godspeed anon
>>
>>27579746
Literally the only ones that aren't memes are things like Schizophrenia, Severe OCD, some severe sensory disorders.
>>
>>27579930
So you're saying it works like all science?
>>
>>27581107
thanks so much man
>>
>>27579976
It's TOO soft. With some mental illnesses, like schizophrenia, there are very clear and obvious symptoms present that are hard to mistake as anything other than "there's something legitimately wrong with your brain" e.g. auditory hallucinations.

Then there's shit like depression. Oh, you're sad? How sad do you have to be, and how often do you need to be sad for us to call it a mental illness? Where do we draw the line, and should a line even be drawn? It's the same thing with Avoidant Personality Disorder. Are you just shy, or are you shy enough to be diagnosed with some disorder?

The fact that a lot of people are helped more by exercise than antidepressants says a lot about the entire field.
>>
>>27581223
I'm pretty sure the line for all mental illness is "is this caused by internal distress, not an external factor, and does this cause severe enough distress that it's negatively impacting your quality of life?"

Someone grieving over a dead relative is not clinically depressed, but someone who is equally sad for no apparent reason has depression. Someone who hallucinates because of recreational drug use does not have schizophrenia, someone who hallucinates without an external influence probably does. There are also tests that can be taken to determine whether or not someone has these mental illnesses. For example, many people with bipolar disorder have the wrong level of lithium in their system, and taking the proper dose of certain drugs completely eliminates their manic episodes.

Also bear in mind that a lot of antidepressants are no more effective than placebo and the people who claim to benefit from them literally have everything only in their head. It's up to professional psychologists and psychiatrists to observe the individuals lifestyle and determine whether or not it's to blame for someone's disorder.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.