[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why the fuck did Shinji choose real life over instrumentality?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 14
File: file.png (1 MB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 960x600
why the fuck did Shinji choose real life over instrumentality?

real life was shit, everyone was mean to him and each other, he had a chance to finally experience happiness and he gives it all up because "it's not real"

who gives a damn about that? it's infinitely better than the alternative.
>>
>>27572049
>real life was shit, everyone was mean to him and each other

>pilots a robot
>lives with hot slutty teacher
>has a qt tsundere all over him
>infinite supply of smart submissive girls
>father one of the most influential people in the world
>makes friends with the toughest people in his class after literally saving their ass single handedly from a massive alien

>life sux
>>
>>27572114
>pilots a robot because he's forced to, is at constant risk of death, has to watch people die while piloting it, feels immense pain every time he's hurt because it's linked to him
>lives with a hot slutty teacher with daddy issues who only pretends to like him because he's necessary
>has a qt tsundere all over him, too bad she's a fucking awful bitch who won't be open about her feelings and constantly lives to make him feel inferior
>infinite supply of smart submissive girls who he can't ever get closely attached to because they're disposable and die and come back over and over with new memories, has to watch her literally get impregnated by an alien and explode
>father one of the most influential people in the world and is a completely insane cunt who abandoned his son and only called him back because he temporarily needed him, won't even say "good job" after he risks his life a dozen times
>makes friends with the toughest people in his class and then has to watch his giant robot crush him in his fucking hand and leave him in the hospital

life SUX dude
>>
File: ku-medium.gif (90 KB, 320x182) Image search: [Google]
ku-medium.gif
90 KB, 320x182
Evangelion is shit.

Baby's first anime with zero substance. Even the creative team has said the symbolism and story means nothing and that it's main purpose is to look cool.

The reason you are stuck posting on /r9k/ while real mem are fucking women is because you like crap level entertainment like Evangelion.
>>
>>27572317
the fact that people still discuss it 20 years later means it has at least a decent amount of substance tho
>>
>>27572325
It's been whored out for 20 years by Gainax and weebs have zero taste. They see depth where there is none even when the production team tells them they're idiots.

Evangelion is a poorly written mess tasteless assholes consider "deep". It's existentialism for kids.
>>
File: 5a9.png (222 KB, 336x475) Image search: [Google]
5a9.png
222 KB, 336x475
>>27572049
I still don't get this show
>>
>>27572407
There's nothing to get. It has no substance according to the production team.
>>
>>27572427
you need to relax, jeffery
>>
File: 1421453204776.jpg (204 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1421453204776.jpg
204 KB, 1000x1000
A better question is who is best girl and why is it Kaworu?
>>
>>27572407
Its a cool mecha fighter. You just don't watch the last two episodes or the fucking weird movie adaptations. Excluding all of that you get an interesting setting and a unique cast with a non-standard protagonist. People just need to stop trying to look too deep into it and enjoy the fucking show.
>>
File: 500x500[1].jpg (30 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
500x500[1].jpg
30 KB, 500x500
>>27572427
They said that about the giant crosses and other Christian symbolism, not the actual plot or the characters and character relations. The symbolism has nothing to it but there's still plenty of stuff to discuss otherwise.
>>
>>27572509
>You just don't watch the last two episodes
fuck no

they're seriously one of the best parts of the show
>>
>>27572524
>one of the best parts of the show

>watched eva
>2nd last eppisode goes on, have no idea wtf is going on
>start skipping through episode to see when it actually "starts"
>realize thats it
>put it on hold and went to watch other animu

That was 4 years ago. Ill finish EVA I swear! Till then I just tell people I watched it and still talk about it like I'm a fan.
>>
>>27572899
you really really really need to watch The End of Evangelion
>>
Because real life is real life, it's like when I stopped doing drugs. No matter how shitty and boring it's going to be, it's real life dude and you need to embrace it instead of living in escapism because you're afraid of real life.
>>
File: 1455753406560.png (273 KB, 437x500) Image search: [Google]
1455753406560.png
273 KB, 437x500
I don't think a more pretentious video exists
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gGLWNVG9e3Q
>>
>>27573097
you didn't explain why escapism is bad

you just said "it's real life" over and over

the fact that it's real life is why I want to escape it
>>
>>27573128
OK well escapism is bad because you're not addressing the problems making you unhappy, you're hiding from them, they are in real life and that is where you need to do it. Also life isn't meant to be full of good times, there needs to be bad times also because it's the bad times that make the happy times actually happy. A balance of sorts. You'd have to have a huge ego and very entitled to believe that you should be happy all the time.
>>
File: 1458450314069.gif (1 MB, 500x394) Image search: [Google]
1458450314069.gif
1 MB, 500x394
>>27572317
They said that about the Christian symbolism. But you must have no idea what you're talking about, because Anno has spent tonnes of time explaining the meaning of the show and it's character.
>>
>>27573238
I don't experience any good times in real life

everyone is just out to hurt each other and manipulate each other
>>
>>27573128
Shinji's decision was symbolic If you chose to live in escapism irl your life would never improve, and whenever you would be forced to leave your escapism you'd be confronted with the hard truth that your life is empty
>>
>>27573277
I think you have a pretty warped worldveiw man. I genuinely love my family and I have faith that their love for me is genuine too.
>>
>>27573238
Fucking normies. Who asked for happiness all the time? The robot's point was that there are no moments without unhappiness.
>>
>>27573321
that's grand, unfortunately not everybody has a healthy family relationship
>>
>>27573324
Life is constant suffering? I find that to be a bit of an exaggeration Fernando
>>
>>27573238
Escapism does address the problem. Life is the problem. Escaping from it is the answer.
And yes, I have a huge ego. Honestly, I view the rest of you as beneath me. Why is this objectively bad? All you're saying is opinionated bullshit.
>>
>>27573333
so what I'm saying is that maybe not everyone is just out to hurt eachother and you are a pessimist
>>
>>27573342
It's funny that you can't even consider that possibility. Yep, you're a normie all right.
>>
File: 1457912476660.png (228 KB, 400x514) Image search: [Google]
1457912476660.png
228 KB, 400x514
>>27573363
I have no reason to be an optimist
>>
>>27573343
All we have is opinions, you just stated one.
>>
>>27573389
Them why are you arguing, dipshit?
>hur u have a huge ego and deal with things wrong
>w-wait it was just my opinion bruh
Why do you normalshits even come here?
>>
>>27573364
SO. What you're saying is that you don't enjoy anything at all. I'm sure there's at least a book, movie, videogame, anime, manga, etc that you enjoy. That's something.
>>
>>27573420
>a book, movie, videogame, anime, manga, etc that you enjoy
THAT'S ESCAPISM
>>
>>27573420
You're so fucking stupid. Why come here if you're not a robot?
>>
>>27573238
So if real life is full of problems and the escapist ending gets rid of real life, wouldn't that deal with the problems?
>>
>>27573415
Lol, not even the same dude. I'm just saying it was hypocritical of you to call anyone opinionated
>>
File: 1424205031735.png (1 MB, 788x872) Image search: [Google]
1424205031735.png
1 MB, 788x872
>>27572049
I'd choose real life because it'd make those close to me happy.

And they wouldn't even thank me.
>>
>>27573428
This, you just contradicted yourself.
>>
>>27573442
Sounds like the truth hurts
>>
>>27573446
Not really, since my whole point was that this was all just opinonated bullshit.
Kill self fat fuck.
>>
>>27573470
I don't get why normies even come to a place where they are universally despised.

It's so fucking stupid, they have every other place on the internet and they choose this one.

Fuck you.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (50 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
50 KB, 1280x720
>>27573472
comment is mucho originales
>>
>>27573238
whatever dude, when VR gets realistic I'm plugging myself in forever

real life doesn't offer me anything, and I don't offer anything it
>>
>>27572192
this dude get's it
i hate the robot
>>
>>27573666
This desu. Getting the vive once it's out.
>>
File: 1459022042802.gif (2 MB, 300x161) Image search: [Google]
1459022042802.gif
2 MB, 300x161
>>27572049
he chose between satisfaction and happiness understanding that long term happiness and the satisfaction instrumentality brought him were actually opposites, and that real happiness comes from conquering the hardships of life.

he wanted out of the womblike regression instrumentality offered and back into the error filled world he hated himself in, probably because he knew the right thing to do was to let hardship be inflicted upon him and not hide away.

he didn't want to be seen as a child in the eyes of asuka, rei and officer jenny and instead decided to "be a man" , denying a future of his own personal lust-gluttondom as the consciousness held at the core of the tree of life that Unit 01 transformed into. This didn't bring him satisfaction or happiness, but instead let him keep his dignity in the eyes of other people, preventing further pain.
>>
>>27573787
what a dummy

you'd think after all that bullshit, he'd stop caring what others think and start acting in his own interest

instrumentality is basically death but better, and pride does not matter to the dead
>>
>"If he wants to survive, anywhere could be like Heaven. He has a chance to be happy anytime because he's alive."

>"Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right."
>>
not really the place but I honestly think Anno was trying to say instrumentality was really a viable option and it was a much more difficult choice than people would believe. if anything, he was trying to subvert the cliche of choosing humanity/real life/whatever you want to call it, rather than reinforce said cliche.
>>
>>27573049

Where do I find an English sub senpai?
>>
>>27574378
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=728310
>>
>>27572377
Pretending this is not b8, name a better work of art that faces existentialism than Eva
>>
just because it's what shinji picked doesn't mean it's the "correct" choice. it's not a happy ending, it's not a sad ending either. it's just an ending. i think the intentional ambiguity of the ending shows that there's a gray area on what the best choice is.
>>
>>27574967
I feel like it deals more with happiness than any abstract meaning
>>
File: it_all_comes_tumbling_down.png (289 KB, 553x463) Image search: [Google]
it_all_comes_tumbling_down.png
289 KB, 553x463
>>27572049
As I see it, he did eventually reject instrumentality because it wasn't real, but he knew that the alternative was going to be even better. He knew he could find equal if not greater (but most of all real) happiness with Asuka in real life. Sure it takes work to get past the hedgehog's dilemma, but the end result is worth it.
>>
>>27575079
He didn't know that Asuka will also reject instrumentality
>>
>>27572049
Because that's the moral of the story you faggot "I am alive, I want to continue living in this world" and shit.
>>
>>27572317
>>27572377
>Zero substance.
Don't worry, the fact that you can't understand past surface level plot is okay. Just don't splerg out on 4Chan about it okay.
>>
>>27572049
>"it's not real"
But it is real. Why wouldn't it be real?
>>
>>27576204
Debatable (like 90% of whats in EoE), I for one think that he knew somehow, there are some clues scattered throughout his mind trip towards the end of the movie
>>
>>27572049
in real life he gets to see asuka's tits and fap in front of her
>>
>>27572317
>the show means nothing :^)
I'm 90% sure that was just Anno trolling.
>>
4.0 fucking when?
>>
>>27573428
But it's still escapism within real life. It's not some kind of complete escape, because while you're watching/playing, something bad could still happen to you. One could argue all happy feelings are escapism, really. The only criteria I can come up with for something being escapism is if it pulls you out of reality to the point where you are unable to take care of yourself or function. I dunno. The whole escapism versus facing real life thing is weird, and I think the answer might be something stupid like "u hafta find a balance man." What do you guys think?
>>
>>27572192
Well i was going to respond to >>27572114 but then you said pretty much everything I would have. Good job annon.
>>
>>27572480
because hes the only one that showed shinji any semblance of unconditional love WITHOUT expecting anything back.
>>
I want to spill my orange juice inside of Kaworu
>>
>>27577611
after the shit show that was 3.33, im not even excited about 4
>>
>>27573238
>escapism is bad because you're not addressing the problems making you unhappy, you're hiding from them

Literally a normie meme that means nothing
>>
File: 1407809226947.jpg (26 KB, 500x458) Image search: [Google]
1407809226947.jpg
26 KB, 500x458
>>27572049
>evangelion thread
>on r9k

wew lad
>>
basically, instrumentality is the ultimate form of escapism (which if you read the thread or watched the movie/show, you'll realise is shit because it never solves the actual problem that drives you to escapism, forcing you to never live your real life) which shinji rejects for said reason. Its also about actually growing up, facing real life and just fucking continuing, because it will only get worse that way. the only real solution is to reject escapism and fake solutions to work with what you have, be honest and just be yourself. basically what the quote in >>27574252 says.

TL;DR man the fuck up, and make your own life good and rely on something else to do it for you
>>
>>27579514
and don't rely on something else*

wew lad that would have changed the message a lot
>>
>>27572317
>Baby's first anime
It was a massive hit when it came out and had major effect on anime, and it's not like everyone who watched it then was new to anime. People who had been watching anime since the 70s also watched it.
>>
>>27572049
You probably wouldn't even feel happiness after a while. Just a blur.

I chose depression over SSRIs because the numbness of the SSRIs was worse than the depression.
>>
>>27579648
you made the right choice anon

SSRIs are a terrible trap
>>
>>27579768
I wish you didn't have to go through a week or so of feeling weird to use them
As a one-time thing, the "I don't give a fuck what happens" ness of them could be very useful.
>>
>>27579768
what's the alternative though?
>>
>>27579842
Depression.

The only winning move is not to play, but since nobody gave you the option of not being born the next best thing is to decide for yourself which is worse.
>>
>>27579768
They don't even work fuck off
>>
You retard. Instrumentality isn't happiness, every person in the world is merged into one being - YOU don't exist anymore, there is no sadness, but neither is there happiness. The message of the show is to keep trying through life, even if relationships with people hurt each other, because so long as you try and are alive, you will always have the chance to be happy.
>>
>>27581052
>every person in the world is merged into one being - YOU don't exist anymore, there is no sadness, but neither is there happiness.
sounds good
>>
>>27577430
End yourself, shipper.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.