[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Post a cool pic, and in spoiler tell us what it is This
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 21
File: cherenkov.jpg (4 KB, 196x257) Image search: [Google]
cherenkov.jpg
4 KB, 196x257
ITT: Post a cool pic, and in spoiler tell us what it is
This is an example of cherenkov radiation. It is electromagnetic radiation emitted when a charged particle (such as an electron) passes through a dielectric medium at a speed greater than the phase velocity of light in that medium.
>>
>>27534501
Fuck your spoilers cunt.
This is DSG3005 showing what happens when you try multi-track drifting IRL. It jumped the points while (iirc) shunting so it was a fairly low-speed affair.
>>
>>27534501
That's what happened at Tokaimura right?
With Hisashi Ouchi?
>>
File: ciruno.jpg (18 KB, 305x315) Image search: [Google]
ciruno.jpg
18 KB, 305x315
This is an ice fairy

she is pretty cool
>>
File: butt.jpg (82 KB, 599x405) Image search: [Google]
butt.jpg
82 KB, 599x405
This is a man, put in his proper place: underneath.
>>
File: 1446387925915.png (13 KB, 214x235) Image search: [Google]
1446387925915.png
13 KB, 214x235
this is a greedy jew
>>
File: buttocks.jpg (531 KB, 900x1327) Image search: [Google]
buttocks.jpg
531 KB, 900x1327
>>27534727
Another male, who has also been placed in his proper role: the bottom.
>>
>>27534501
This is the oldest cemetery in a small town in GA. It was established in 1838 and endured multiple Civil War battles. Many of the streets in the surrounding area are named after men buried here.

The main reason I find this cemetery so cool is that it is home to the arm of Joe Chaney, which was accidentally blown off. He would frequently visit the grave and leave flowers for it. When he died he was buried in a cemetery about a mile away from his arm.
>>
This is a turbocharger for a diesel locomotive engine.
>>
File: Saltatory_Conduction.gif (165 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
Saltatory_Conduction.gif
165 KB, 220x220
This is saltatory conduction. Some neurons are myelinated, but there are gaps called nodes of Ranvier that allow for charge to rapidly be transmitted.
>>
File: 1457452783025.jpg (174 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1457452783025.jpg
174 KB, 1024x768
These are some home raised/bred moths that some other robot posted pictures of awhile ago. I'm not sure if he's still around, but it's pretty cool that he did this.
>>
File: stupid nerd.jpg (54 KB, 1280x642) Image search: [Google]
stupid nerd.jpg
54 KB, 1280x642
Nobody even spoiling. Fuck yall.
[Spoiler] this is an episode of malcolm in the middle the the post production editors mustve missed. Fucking fourth wall. Didnt need you anyway. [/Spoiler]
>>
>>27535188
I was acting retarded on purpose.... i swear guyz...
>>
File: gats and his personal trainer.png (301 KB, 1100x980) Image search: [Google]
gats and his personal trainer.png
301 KB, 1100x980
>>27534501
this new kamasutra move called aryan pride
>>
File: 1413917193101.jpg (114 KB, 700x485) Image search: [Google]
1413917193101.jpg
114 KB, 700x485
>>27534501
What does that whole "speed greater than the phase velocity of light" jazz mean?
Just a vague sort of answer will do me. Probably won't get what you mean either way.

This is a dog. No-one knows how he got on that roof. He was told to never go on the roof. But he did it anyway. He's a defiant doggo.
Apparently all dogs of that breed, shiba inu I think, are notoriously disobedient.
>>
File: 1448433293091.png (2 MB, 2594x1860) Image search: [Google]
1448433293091.png
2 MB, 2594x1860
some tight ass oc that i picked from pretty much the dopest thread of 2015
>>
>>27535188
I don't think that was a mistake. He was saying that because he wanted to stay next to Malcolm. Malcolm actually says there's plenty of seats.
Not sure why he chose to sit in the middle of the goths, though.
>>
>>27534625
you just don't know how to use spoilers, do you?
>>
>>27535280
it means faster than light but not really.

light slows down in glass, so if electrons go normal electron speed, they're actually going faster than the photons of light around them

then it causes glowing, for the same reason going faster than the sound barrier causes loud noises. the electrons are leaving visible wakes of light as they speed along
>>
>>27535341
I do, I just don't see any point in spoilering text talking about a photo
>>
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 840x560) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 840x560
>>27534501
Ah I know this!
It's always been disputed if it's real or not I think, as mathematically things are not supposed to go faster than light, besides quantum mechanics of course - but that's a different story again
>>
>>27535422
WELP looks like >>27535341 was right anyway. I swear that used to work.
>>
>>27535432
no it's not actually going faster than C, it's perfectly possible. see >>27535377
>>
>>27535432
Whoops, I'll correct myself.
Not whether it is real, but whether it is really surpassing light. As it was also theorised that things going ftl might go backwards in time, which would explain neutrinos or some shit.
Tbh it's been quite a long time since I went full physics nerd famalam, all I do is biology/psychology these days
>>
>>27535481
Yep, read my self-reply>>27535530
I'm an idiot who doesn't done this in a while who probably looks like he's talking out his ass ah well.
On another note, if anyone physics fags are interested, their is a lot of evidence that the brain uses quantum processing, which means AI and the technological singularity we all thought was oh-so-close is probably further than we thought. (I got no cool pics though)
>>
File: 1429993144526.jpg (132 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1429993144526.jpg
132 KB, 600x600
>>27535377
Wow, I think that actually makes sense.

If we did somehow manage to break the speed barrier with some sort of hyperspace ship, would it leave a brightly glowing trail of that sort of radiation behind it? Would the FTL object be glowing like that, and maybe continue to glow for a while after slowing back down?

This is the actual suit of armour worn by the final emperor of the cat nation, a nation whose name has been lost the annals of history. He was believed to have fallen in the final, apocalyptic battle between cat and dog kind, a war which killed off the intellectual elite and left only the lowly, mindless peasant breeds to reproduce and cover the earth. Truly a tragic and ignoble end.
>>
>>27535619
Wouldn't (shouldn't) be possible outside of a medium, I may be a jackass but light speed in a vacuum like space should still reign supreme
Here's to hoping spaceships are that badass though.
>>
the grateful dead sponsored the Lithuanian basketball team in the olympics in 1992 because the lithuanians were poor as shit after the soviet union fell. The result is this jersey. the team placed bronze
>>
>>27535713
Yeah, but what if the actual speed of light is a lot faster than what is measured? What if the one we know is actually seriously slowed down by magic or dark matter or some other placeholder? Maybe some sort of cosmic dust slows the currently understood speed of light.

So if we built a badass spaceship that could tear through dark matter, it could maybe reach that top speed and travel what-are-currently-understood-to-be-light-years in mere days.

This is a cardboard cutout of a policeman. If you're from the UK, or have ever been there, then you know this is not a fucking joke. There are actually lots of these. There are posters on bus windows to make it look like a policeman is sitting there. There's a poster next to where people park their bikes near a certain major trainstation. There are no cameras watching over these bikes and they are under a dark overpass. All there is to protect them is a poster of a policeman stuck on the wall. Americans like to make fun of the fact that our weak police force has no guns. Little do they know our police force barely has any actual police!
>>
>>27535916
>Yeah, but what if the actual speed of light is a lot faster than what is measured?

The universe would have never formed as-is. Baryonic matter would either be unable to form or destroy itself in an all-consuming annihilation event.

Please do not change the speed of light, we need it to stay as is for now.
>>
>>27535619
>>27535916
there'd be a lot of other shit happening before that, namely the ship would approach infinite mass and become a blackhole, and then travel backwards in time

barring that, presumably yeah
>>
After he died at 79 years old while meditating, the Buddhist monk Luang Pho Dang was closed in a glass coffin and left in his mudra pose with his legs folded, lotus style. Over 20 years later, his body remains incredibly well-preserved.

In death, the self-mummified monk is housed in the charming Thai town temple of Wat Khunaram on Ko Samui Island in Thailand. Monks at the temple put sunglasses over the mummy's sunken, empty sockets in order to make him less disturbing to visiting children and others who come to pay their respects.

Radiographs of the mummy have revealed that he still wears his dentures and that in death he has become a hatchery for a native gecko species. The lizards lay eggs in his body cavities, beneath his leathery skin. His brain tissue and organ systems are remarkably intact, although small in size due to dehydration.
>>
File: 1368360072813.jpg (1 MB, 2240x1320) Image search: [Google]
1368360072813.jpg
1 MB, 2240x1320
>>27536003
It would certainly be interesting if every single blackhole in the entire galaxy was created by the FTL experiments of various alien races. At some point, we'll try it and all that will be left of humanity and our solar system will be another black hole.

That's probably not what happened but it's a fun thought.

Perhaps actual FTL travel will involve a degree of time travel. Upon reaching that infinite mass and maximum speed, time will seem to freeze while you cross the distance at regular speed. It'll take everyone on the ship many, many years to get where they wanted to go, but when the arrive it will seem, to the outside universe, as if no time passed at all. Like they teleported but all aged 50 years in the process.

This is a cool pic and the story is on it so if I spoiler the pic then it's all good, right?
>>
>>27536219
nice shades i guess
>>
simulacra by alexander hulme. a found vase is scanned and 3d printed repeatedly, leaving an increasingly functionless copy of the original
>>
>>27534748
Nice pleonasm there
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.