[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does life truly have a purpose? Can I get a non religious, non
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
Does life truly have a purpose?

Can I get a non religious, non spiritual, non subjective answer to this question.
>>
>>27519073
>Can I get a non religious, non spiritual, non subjective answer to this question.

Probably not. Mainly because "purpose" is a human concept and thus the answer will always be subjective to a degree

Probably the best answer that I can give you is not the "purpose" rather the "reason."

The reason a species exists is because of evolution. Those organisms best suited for an environment live, the rest die. Because of this, life exists in it's present form.

You _could_ say the purpose of life is to simply exist and attempt to reproduce.
>>
>>27519149
>simply exist and attempt to reproduce.
this
>>
>>27519167
improving the quality of living for society as a whole is also an evolutionary purpose
>>
>>27519073
The purpose of life is to be a creature of thought. Live gracefully and obey your creator who gave you a soul. A soul which lives forever.
>>
>>27519149

Survive.
Randomshit
Impregnate.
Randomshit
Die.
>>
>>27519460
if don't find this fulfilling you must be mentally ill!
>>
>>27519073
You're overlooking things OP

Life is the FOUNDATION for purpose. Meaning is always established by the relation of one thing to another. The universe has no meaning, but it allows meaning to exist. Without life there could be no meaning to anything, but that doesn't mean life has or is the meaning.

The "meaning" you're looking for is in the events of one's life
>>
>>27519073

> Can I get a non religious, non spiritual, non subjective answer to this question.

Yes, the answer is "None" for you
>>
>>27519149
>You _could_ say the purpose of life is to simply exist and attempt to reproduce.

That's like saying the purpose of a spoon is to be a spoon and to give spoon makers a template for their next batch of spoons.
>>
>>27519639
But spoons don't need to sexually reproduce to pass on their DNA you fucking retard
>>
>>27519565
Would you say the purpose of -human- life is to make it meaningful?
>>
>>27519639
>>27519673
this analogy is awful and I suggest yall try again before you run yourselves in circles arguing about it
>>
playing videogames is fun

i don't care if i'll die someday, i wanna play videogames today
>>
The purpose of human life is to preserve the species long enough for us to develop the tech to escape this universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hmXrHvmwOM
>>
Biologically, the purpose of your life would be to procreate abd advance our species, but now that we have evolved to have a conscience we get to ask ourselves these questions. In my opinion I think your purpose is to make yourself happy. Nothing more than that really.
>>
propagate your genetics

then kill yourself
>>
>>27519684
>the purpose of -human- life
The big bang caused the universe and evolution + random chance caused us. Both of those things are impersonal and meaningless, and don't even matter, they're just technical details.

The sentience we find ourselves imbued with by random luck, is the mode for establishing meaning. If you do an action, you are creating meaning, so I'm not sure what you mean by the question.
>>
>>27519073
"If our society seems more nihilistic than that of previous eras, perhaps this is simply a sign of our maturity as a sentient species. As our collective consciousness expands beyond a crucial point, we are at last ready to accept life's fundamental truth: that life's only purpose is life itself."
>>
>>27519768
>life's fundamental truth: that life's only purpose is life itself.
>nihilistic

>nihilistic
>maturity as a sentient species

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
>>27519073
>Does life truly have a purpose?

Being superior to a void of nothingness.

Imagine consciously existing in a vat of nothing. Talk about madness.
>>
>>27519838
do you mean the taoist concept and if so how, or is that the name of somebody
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-17-05-10-29.png (511 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-17-05-10-29.png
511 KB, 1080x1920
>non-subjective
>non religious
Pick one m8
>>
Yes or no. Life only has the purpose that you give it.
>>
we are literally just micro organisms eating, shitting, and reproducing on a rock in space, the fact that we view this from pilot seat makes it all seem far more important than it all really is, but we are no more important than the bacteria spreading and dying across an ld piece of bread.
>>
>>27519740
- If you do an action, you are creating meaning-
Exactly this. I don't think we should be asking the question "-What- is the meaning or purpose of life".
Because that could be anything. The purpose of life can only be subjective. For someone living might not even be the purpose of life.

I suggest we talk about kittens instead.
>>
>>27519976
I'm sure there's cooler things than humans out there anyways, like I heard extremophiles are pretty cool
>>
>>27520011
when ghoing after these classic films..don;t forget to take Ma And Pa Kettle classics
>>
>>27520049
I have no idea what you're talking about, please explain. I have never heard of these films.
>>
>>27519073
>Can I get a non religious, non spiritual, non subjective answer to this question.
>to a question that is absolutely non-empirical, non-scientific

Literally, how retarded can you get?

Your attempt of driving out the perspective of mysticism and philosophy with your misplaced (implied) disgust of religion to replace it with pure science and data laughably fails to do so.

It's like searching for a golden needle that is thrown into a black hole, and you're peering inside of it for eternity in hopes that you would eventually find it sparkle.
>>
File: tumblr_nonii8xnfx1rsroqfo1_500.png (233 KB, 467x333) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nonii8xnfx1rsroqfo1_500.png
233 KB, 467x333
>>27520117
ma and pa kettle classics
>>
>>27520125
>hurr pure science and data stop being so mechanical and boring
fuck off /x/
>>
>>27520125
>laughably fails to do so.
>It's like searching for a golden needle that is thrown into a black hole, and you're peering inside of it for eternity in hopes that you would eventually find it sparkle.
why are you trying to sound so neckbeardy
>>
File: ZOOM.png (223 KB, 310x364) Image search: [Google]
ZOOM.png
223 KB, 310x364
>>27520214
>science is boring, ew

I did not say this at all. What I mean is that with these kinds of questions that deal with what's beyond the material, contemporary science fails to explain. On the other hand, mystics from thousands of years ago have already provided perspective (note: perspective, not answers lol knowing this website this would be an issue).

>>27520304
Yeah, I know. Sorry. In my native language that statement would sound very ordinary and not fedora-tier.
And the black hole analogy is the best that I can pull out of my ass in 1 minute.
>>
Why would it?
I really don't understand why people ask this question so much.
>>
>>27519073
The faithless seldom have purpose.

Take all those away and perhaps the purpose is then to evolve. See where human evolution leads to. How society evolves, how community evolves, how culture evolves, how cities and people evolve, or devolve as some would deem it.
>>
>>27519073
order (not in the social sense but the cosmic) in all forms. The evolution of life is the process of organization attempting to become more stable and more complex and hold off entropy for longer. survival and reproduction are only one means to this order. the next means, for beings which can produce order of ideas are to bring these ideas to higher levels and have them evolve in the same way as biological organization.

tl;dr memes are the meaning of life (at least once you have survival down)
>>
>>27519073
Non-life is the normal state of the universe.
Life is just an oddity that develops and remains for short periods.
Life is destined to end everywhere it exists.
99% of all species that existed died out.
And the number of living things is marginal compared to the dead creatures.
If we say that all living creatures are 1 then the the dead ones are probably in the trillions.
>>
Why do you need a purpose?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.