[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Art and drawing general.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_mnosnw6x1L1rkmjjzo4_500.gif (1023 KB, 500x161) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mnosnw6x1L1rkmjjzo4_500.gif
1023 KB, 500x161
Can anyone be an artist? I know people are naturals, but I loved drawing in elementary and middleschool. I bought a tablet for a rhythm game, but I want to draw again.

With enough tutorials and practice, can I be good?

Please drawfags, help.

I need/want a hobby, something to keep my mind off killing myself, video games aren't enough these days.
>>
Just draw shit.

Over time you'll figure a lot out on your own
>>
>>27512593
But, am I wasting my time? Is drawing a natural talent, or a technical skill?
>>
>>27512651

i feel like you want someone to say to you "it's a natural talent, you can't do it. just give up"

just shut up and draw
>>
>>27512651
It's a natural talent past a certain point
Anyone can be a drawfag and make decent drawings on 4chan
But not everyone can be a professional or make amazing art or be a great animator
>>
>>27512651

It is a technical skill.

You can improve but it is difficult, it isn't enough to draw everyday. You have to draw difficult things and try to improve everyday as well. Most people stagnate or draw over and over but never improve because they do not seek or accept criticism.

Start with a book called 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards', it is THE most important book for any artist and teaches life drawing.
>>
>>27512544
>can anyone be an artist
What kind of stupid question is that? Yes anyone can be. Art is opinion based.
>>
>>27512544
most artists you'd think are artists spend a lot of time thinking about who is and who isn't actually an artist. it's a spectrum just like being a fag.

it can absolutely be something you're born into and it's different for everyone, you'll need to admit from the start there's some shit you'll never do.

expect to be pissed off most days more than the few you aren't.
>>
File: drawing.png (1 MB, 700x985) Image search: [Google]
drawing.png
1 MB, 700x985
>>27512544
The way I see it, you can learn it with shitloads of practice and get to a standard most will consider good or above average. Natural skill just gives you a head start on that.

It is a technical skill, but most people who try to learn it are people who don't have much natural affinity for it and aren't committed or knowledgeable enough to do the right kind of practice that you need to do to actually improve. Most people just learn it up to a basic level and then draw the same shit over and over because, as >>27513173 said, they can't accept criticism and as a result won't leave their comfort zone and will stagnate.

If you push yourself in the right way and accept criticism you'll improve. Pic related, I drew it. I have some degree of affinity but what skill I have is largely due to practice.
>>
>>27513173
An excerpt from the book you suggest: "You have two brains: a left and a
right. Modern brain scientists now
know that your left brain is your
verbal and rational brain; it thinks
serially and reduces its thoughts to
numbers, letters, and words....
Your right brain is your non-verbal
and intuitive brain; it thinks in patterns,
or pictures, composed of
'whole things,' and does not comprehend
reductions, either numbers,
letters, or words."

This is laughable by today's standards; an old-fashioned idea of the complete lateralization of discrete brain functionality. It's, to the least, wrong. As a med student, I can't believe anyone today'd believe this drivel.

As a on-again-off-again painter, I like the book though.
>>
I tried drawing and it's the most unfun thing I ever did,
just start and see if you like it, getting gud comes later
>>
>>27513791
This, if you have no natural skill you do have to enjoy it enough that you won't mind being shit tier for a while. Sounds like you probably do though OP.
>>
Guy who posted >>27513746 here. The right-brain/left-brain idea is so dumb I feel compelled to direct anyone who believes it to the article "Neuroscience and education: from research to practice?", reachable at the following link: http://www.educationalneuroscience.org.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Goswami-2006-neuromyths.pdf
>>
>>27512544
I'm gonna be honest with you, your atitude is wrong. Don't think about skill or showing off, drawing is for yourself, not for others. If you sit there and think "am I gonna get good am I gonna get good, when does it happen??" then there's no point. You have to have fun and be immersed in it. In the zone. Just have fun man, the skill will come by itself if you draw enough.
But you're in it for years. It's a long journey.
I don't think you want to be a professional, as there's a shitload of stress and business thinking involved in that. If you like that, though, visit a good school with a hardcore 1 year programme.
>>
>>27512544
I actually had the same feeling when you started. I eventually drew for myself, not until I was fulfilled with my technical skill. Its a hobby dude have some fun with it too.
>>
it doesn't matter if your'e good or bad, people will find it good in one way or another. pusco made weird art
>>
>>27513746

The science behind it may be incorrect but the writer is correct on why some people fail to draw properly and what should be done to correct it.

People don't draw what they see, they draw what they think they see. Their brains interpret reality and then the bad artist tries to re-interpret that symbolism onto the page and fails horribly.

Betty Edwards teaches people to draw what the eye see's not what the brain think's it see's. Look at viewfinder's, lots of people give her shit for promoting viewfinder's and grid's because they think it's cheating. But the fact is that plenty of famous artists use them, Vincent Van Gogh used one. So did Leonardo De Vinci.

I think people dislike the idea because once you break down the actual technical aspects of art it becomes less grandiose.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.