[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>there are people who still believe in the hard work meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 1426377344729.jpg (123 KB, 600x505) Image search: [Google]
1426377344729.jpg
123 KB, 600x505
>there are people who still believe in the hard work meme

Not to say that it's bad to work hard, but you should never work hard for no reason. If you have a high chance of acheiving something, then you should work hard for it.

Most rich people in America have never worked hard(or worked at all) a day in their life. They inherited their money. This should not be allowed.
>>
The trick is to set goals at work at at those goals. The only jobs you should work hard at are ones where you can advance.
>>
>>27512680
You are correct.

The problem is, this is getting ever more hard to do.

Not impossible. But extremely unlikely
>>
>>27512394
I was raised with the idea of being a hard worker and I am a hard worker. Its done great things for my career and gives me focus and drive for anything I want to take on.

From my personal experience it seems people who have everything handed to them are less content with life and have a harder time finding happiness and meaning to their lives. There is no satisfaction in achievement if you didn't earn it.
>>
>>27512394

I'm guessing that this guy was born in the 1950s, 60s, or 70s.
>>
>>27512820
That's Mike Rowe from dirty jobs. Aka he films himself doing gross jobs for like a day then gets a fat check that's probably equal to 3months pay that the people who actually do those dirty jobs get

And yeah op. Work hard at opportunities but don't work hard at a shot minimum wage job hoping your boss will give you a 10 cent raise. 90% of opportunity is through nepotism nowadays
>>
>>27512880
Depends on what min wage job it is. If it's in a field you can work up in and enjoy then fuck the raise make it about working up the chain to decent money. Everyone needs to make money to pay bills but if there is nothing more to it than money you should probably re-think your career choices.
>>
>>27512394
I feel like working hard in education is pretty important, but working hard irl is a big meme
>>
>>27512394
Poor people and working class lack information and they also make up needless obstacles in their day to day lives for basically no reason at all. They seem more concerned with the idea of living than living at all. They believe that emotional and physical stress and sacrifice will make them achieve their "dreams" and goals because that's the archaic worldview they have been conditioned to.

Say to yourself You don't have to do this shit. You don't owe anything to anybody. See how your life will improve once you reach inevitable epiphania and come to the conclusion that everything you really need the nature provides for free.

Want water? There's water everywhere. Want food? Go make a farm somewhere. Hunt down the fishes. Wanna make exercise? Plenty of trees and mountains to climb, and sky views that cannot be beaten.
>>
File: 1430720224353.png (107 KB, 314x314) Image search: [Google]
1430720224353.png
107 KB, 314x314
>>27512394

You need to work hard but you need to work smart as well. Working hard at a minimum wage job will get you nowhere. Most minimum wage jobs offer no opportunity for progression.

The trick is to find work which teaches you new skills. A shelf stacker is not getting any experience that will help him in a job other than shelf stacking. A trade, sales job or management job will place you in situations where you learn new things. If you work hard at these jobs then your skills and education will continuously improve.

The trick is to find a sweet spot, a job which is hard enough that you still have to struggle a bit to learn enough and do well but easy enough that you can actually do it with hard work and being smart.

If it is too easy then you wont learn anything, you are essentially shelf stacking again, if it is too hard then you will fail, learn nothing and become discouraged.

Even NEETdom is better than most minimum wage jobs. A NEET can lean skills and network to become a better person. (although most do not).
>>
>>27512806
I'm not accusing you of this, but part of why "hard work is the path to success" is a meme rather than good advice is that we're all the main character of the stories we tell about our lives. Very few people will say of their success, "I got lucky once and that's what got me started." People believe that hard work creates success, so successful people therefore think it must have been hard work that got them where they are. Mike Rowe is far and away the worst offender on this front.
I do agree that most people feel better about completing something that was difficult, but not much else can really be drawn from that. An outcome isn't inherently better because more work was put into it.
>>
>>27512993
What is wrong with a technical trade? A man needs to fix your car. Wouldn't you want him to have experience and a hard work ethic that has given him the body of knowledge to do the job correctly?
>>
>>27513010
How feasible is subsistence farming and hunting these days? Are there reasonably sized tracts of land, not claimed by anyone, that can support that kind of harvest?

I'd hope it's possible, because doing physical labor and honing skills to forge your existence all on your own is probably the universally most satisfying way to live.
>>
>>27513010
>dude just live off the land lmao
>what do you mean I need to own property?
>what do you mean "taxes"?
>what do you mean polluted/diseased water
>what do you mean some faggot who spent his entire life in the modern, civilized world can't become Daniel Boone overnight
>nah bro i'll just start farming tomorrow lol
>>
>>27513079
Your right hard work is no guarantee of success but greatly raises your chances. Someone who works hard is going to have better odds than someone who only strives for the bare minimum.

You can be a crazy hard worker and get fucked this has happened to me several times. Every time I got fucked I learned somthing valuable about life and people it only made my future approches stronger.
>>
>>27513062
Breaking into a job that can teach you skills is hard as fuck. I've been pushing carts at my current job for 8 months and I'm finally about to get trained in cashiering. Once I do I'm going to find a new place that wants my skills. Fuck this place.
>>
>>27513062
I applied for some job helping install sprinkler systems. No experience is required. It's a real shame there aren't more opportunities like it, where, even if you don't have prior experience, the employer's willing to let your cleverness make up for it. I hope it gets me out this rut called retail. I just want to do meaningful, skilled work, even if it's not what I went to college for.
>>
>>27513195
Well, more importantly, you can work hard and spin your wheels for your entire life, and there won't be any lessons to learn other than "maybe you should lower your standards for success." Because once again nobody wants to admit that their life is a series of largely inexplicable and disconnected events that are only tied together by self-deceptive narratives.
>>
>>27512806
What job senpai?
>>
>Most rich people in America have never worked hard(or worked at all) a day in their life.
You have a citation for this? I'm genuinely asking too. I don't believe it.
>>
>>27513262
What is the standard for sucess? I would imagine that is a personal choice not one dictated by others. If you spend your life chasing what other people consider success I would imagine you will never find contentment.
>>
>>27513291
I'm an executive chef now. I started as a dishwasher.
>>
>>27513442
Wow. Good for you desu.
>>
File: bad things are.png (527 KB, 549x504) Image search: [Google]
bad things are.png
527 KB, 549x504
It works only if you're confident. Confident people are disproportionately tall good looking men. You need money, you need the approval of others that humans are inclined to crave? These things come from other people, and the first thing a person sees when they look at you is your appearance. They don't give a fuck if you read Plato the republic or your what your political affiliation is. All they care about is how you sell yourself, and that comes with confidence.

Ugly and have crap genetics? mentally broken? No matter how much work you put into something you'll always be climbing a mountain. A chad can put in less effort and be less good at being a waitress, a car salesman, hit it off in interviews landing him a great job,and so on. The only way you can compensate is if you're unusually gifted at what you do.

At my job there was this guy who has been there for years and he wanted to move up. He was 5'7 and came every day on time and did extra work. Some chad guy just got hired and after 3 years moved up fast. The 5'7 guy left because he was aiming for the foreman position for 9 years. Something like bone size can influence more than just getting the girl. Shit's fucked up, then when you look at the world of politics and how corrupt it is.. You lose what little hope you had.
>>
Mike Rowe needs to be punched in the face. Over and over again. That should be his job.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.