[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>doing computer programming class for uni >have to do some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Natalie-Lesson-Learned2.jpg (37 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
Natalie-Lesson-Learned2.jpg
37 KB, 403x403
>doing computer programming class for uni
>have to do some simple programs each fortnight
>this week is roman numerals
>get it like semi functioning after like four hours
>having literally the worst headache i've had ever
this is where i drop out, right?
it's like the second program we have to write and i'm already at the point of mental incapacity
i don't think i could continue if it's gonna get harder
>>
i mean im not you and i dont know how hard youre struggling, but usually in those degrees most of the hard programming classes come early on to weed out the scrubs and its mostly math and theory after that, which is still hard but 100% less time consuming
>>
>>27510918
does that mean i'm a scrub?
>>
>>27510999
If you don't stick with it then yes. If you power through then no.
>>
>>27511037
basically this. i had literally no programming experience prior to starting this degree and ive ground through those classes with some As but also B's and C's as well
>>
>>27510896
Headache just means you're learning. Embrace it, don't pussy out.

T. Guy that got HD's in all his programming courses
>>
Give the course a full run and see where you end up.

Early programs are meant to be challenging because you have no clue how any of this works. The roman numeral shit is the real world metaphor to help you grasp the deeper logic of Im guessing loops. The thing is, is usually only difficult the first time, if you went back next week and made something similar, itd be a piece of cake.

Look, no one has told you you're a failure except yourself. You're the only person right now thinking, 'Anon is a fucking idiot and cant into comp sci.' So, if theres no external acknowledgement, and if you squash that internal acknowledgement, then truly no one thinks youre a dumbdumb. :)

Lastly, remember to spend time planning first. Even 5mins doodling can help give you a clearer picture of what it is youre trying to do. When i firdt tried the fibonacci function, i scribbled half s page in throw-away notes of what it is I wanted it to do. Last term i did the same thing in my Algorithms course for the Travelling Salesman problem.

Just keep pushing yourself.
>>
>>27510896
>roman numerals
>hard

Drop out, people like you are going to dilute the workforce with cheap, inefficient labor.
>>
>>27510896
Roman numerals? Isn't this just a switch-case or something similar? Well, don't give up OP everything is hard at first
>>
>>27511137
The only reason I'm considering dropping out so much is that I can do it before friday night and avoid the associated course fees for the class.

If I don't have it out today/tomorrow, I will drop out.
>>
>I survived a blackout

oh man i remember when i was a kid and there was a big blizzard that knocked out power for weeks. all the stores were closed up tight because registers were down and they didn't want looting so we had to move in with grandparents and use their old propane heater and lamps. good times lots of board games and freezing cold dark showers mmm.
>>
>>27511388
Yeah but if someone's never done it before, it could be daunting. I knew people who still struggled with pointers by sophomore year. They did alright in the end.
>>
>>27510896
Just sleep on it. Not even joking. You will think of the solution or dream of the solution. If not, your brain will at least be fresh again to tackle the problem at a new perspective
>>
you should be able to create a Roman numeral converter the dumb way, with minimal smart thinking, just by using a lot of if statements and built in string functions and built in number functions.
>>
>>27510896
>uni
If you study then you have some IRL interaction with people and so you're not a robot.

Leave now
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.