[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
College is a scam thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
File: 1458345886258s.jpg (11 KB, 250x249) Image search: [Google]
1458345886258s.jpg
11 KB, 250x249
Compsci is supposed to be a high tier degree, but here I am memorising assembly opcodes for an outdated processor when I will never conceivably use them in my life.

It's literally just to keep you busy. I can learn more valuable skills for my career in a weekend working on my own projects than I have so far this entire semester.
>>
>>27503193
"Those who cannot do, teach"

Remember you are literally having the bottom of the barrel in your field teaching you the material. It's no wonder they don't stay up to date with what's going on in it. Most of your teachers were probably failures in their respective fields of study who never made it and teaching was the only thing they could fall back on as a source for income.
>>
>>27503193
if your in compsci you need to be going for certifications in any software you can
>Juniper
>Cisco
>Microsoft

Work experience and certifications are the only things that matter, College is for a bachelors and then your outta there
>>
>implying most tech isn't "outdated" but people are too cheap to ever replace it
not every workplace is going to be google
>>
And now you finally know what most people have known and accepted since they started highschool. Most of school is to keep you occupied and busy and most importantly, out of the workforce for as long as possible to artificially lower unemployment rates without doing anything to create more jobs.

You're there to sit down and not get in anybody's way until you have done your time and are given a piece of paper to prove it

In order to get a job, you need to demonstrate that you're a hard worker. Since you haven't been able to work anything other than shitty minimum wage jobs until now you haven't had a chance to show off what a great worker you can be. In order to have something to show for the wasted 4-8 years of your life (any schooling beyond 10th grade is more efficiently done on one's own if they need to learn the material at all), schools give heavy workloads so that they get your ready to be a corporate drone and so that you can prove that you can sit down and not get in the way
>>
it just bothers me that I have to throw away 60k just to get a ticket that authorizes me to actually work
>>
>>27503271
just to make this clear, it's not like I'm some lazy dipshit who wants muh 100k starting for nothing. I work 25 hrs a week plus school for a NASA contractor designing biologic experiment systems for the ISS.
>>
File: 1393794046172.png (89 KB, 451x404) Image search: [Google]
1393794046172.png
89 KB, 451x404
>>27503284
Too bad, goyim. This is the only way we will let you get a mortgage and pay for your car loans
>>
File: 1457991221694.gif (2 MB, 335x189) Image search: [Google]
1457991221694.gif
2 MB, 335x189
ITT: "hands on" trade tards

Enjoy 40k a year for plumbing my shit pipes.
>>
>>27503193
>memorizing binary data
What college are you at even?
>inb4 electronics design class
>>
>>27503374
yeah stacey doesn't like plumbers so fuck them
>>
>>27503416
it's opcodes, which are things like movl %eax (%ebp)

computer systems class.
>>
>>27503442
You should probably drop cs now
Those aren't opcodes, those are instructions
and from the looks of that, those are x86 which you have to be computer illiterate to think is an outdated processor.
Computer science obviously isn't the field you should be in
>>
Idk I had to take a class like that and while the processor itself is useless, I now know my way around all the manuals and shit I had to use for that processor, and I could do it for an actual useful processor in the future.
>>
>>27503501
ok if you want to get extremely pedantic yeah that's an instruction, I just gave the whole thing to contextualize the opcode, which in that case is movl. and x86 is absolutely outdated note I didn't say deprecated or obsolete, it's still relevant, it's just not recent.
>>
>>27503374

Yeah pretty much. Expect to work 3rd shift, weekends, et cetera because you're the FNG and have to "do your time". Better hope you already have a super-loyal waif already lined up because your social life will die.

Oh, and if you get injured you're totally fucked.
>>
File: i_paid_for_that_course.jpg (105 KB, 394x289) Image search: [Google]
i_paid_for_that_course.jpg
105 KB, 394x289
>me, enrolled in small time farmville university barely has a comp sci department at all
>3rd quarter of 1st year, taking data structures
>1 out of 2 professors is out for the quarter
>enter "dewajo yefissa" (scrambled his name for opsec)
>got his masters from an even farmier farmville university in ethiopia, linkedin shows his work experience includes 1 year of being a lecturer for itt tech
>first day of class
>he's dressed up in nice business clothes, very unlike any engineer i've ever met
>shows cute excel t-chart he made 20 minutes before class
>states an array "takes more" than a linked list
>uhhhhhh.jpg
>raise my hand, ask for clarification
>begins arguing with me for 10 minutes
>rest of class are soup sandwich braincases, they all think i'm a fucking genius for calling out the teacher
>fast forward to our first test
>certain question has 3 answers that sound plausible, so i stealthmode take a picture with my phone and later show it to my dad who is a 30+ year software engineer vet (had multiple startups/patents before burning out and working at google and nasa, masters from stanford, overall cool dood, etc.)
>"lmao wtf actually is this shit nigga" - dad
>one day he showed us a clip from big bang theory
>we never wrote a single line of code in class, he would just say the same sentence worded differently for 2 hours and then assign homework
>finally confront him one day about his bullshit, he says he really needs this job
>we work out a deal where i no longer come to class, do homework, or take the final but get an A and in turn i keep quiet to the head of the department
>use the extra time to work on video games i was making / jack off
>learn data structures

he got fired later
>>
>>27503193
That's because you're an undergrad
>>
>>27503571
Okay, how exactly is it outdated, especially considering it's still a subset of current computer processor (AMD64/x86_64/x64) instructions
A very important subset because of its lower overhead
>>
>>27503501
>>27503571
nevermind. sorry metric you're right, I just looked it up and I guess the professor has just been teaching the wrong thing this whole semester. Which is honestly not terribly surprising at this point
>>
>>27503284
Join the military and become a hard hat diver

After getting out you'll make more money than you could've possibly imagined otherwise
>>
>>27503607
well no one is designing new x86 devices. The only ones still being produced are legacy designs for compatibility and almost everyone is moving toward ARM as the new standard for non PC consumer applications
>>
The meme right now is go to college. Anything less than grad school learning is shite
>>
>>27503700
Not if you go to a halfway decent school

Guarantee most people here go to some low-tier state school that has absolutely zero connections with an companies

NC State student here currently doing a co-op with Red Hat
>>
File: 1434031548318.png (109 KB, 358x358) Image search: [Google]
1434031548318.png
109 KB, 358x358
>"WHY AM I SOLDERING MICROPROCESSORS? WHY DO I HAVE WRITE ABOUT DISCRETE LOGIC? I THOUGH I WAS GOING TO BE PROGRAMMING THE NEXT HALO"

Drop out now. You are nothing but an annoyance to anyone trying to learn.

And none of you faggots survive the first year anyway.
>>
>>27503824
dude I'm not mad I'm not programming halo. I'm mad that at work I design and program custom cnc machines and school is just memorizing tables of useless codes.
>>
>>27503867
Welcome to college, fucknuts.

Think I enjoy using method of joints to figure out whether or not trusses are in tension or compression when I could be getting acclimated with the software used in the workplace? Think again

College is a shitshow designed to weed out people who can't put up and shut up because that's what you'll spend your working hours doing
>>
File: 1459126301411.gif (1020 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1459126301411.gif
1020 KB, 500x373
>>27503442
>>27503501

Engineer here -- yea, this is basic shit every EE, CompE, CS should know. This isn't even something like an Alpha/RISC proc, this is CISC.

I'm very surprised you're even learning this in undergrad, to be honest -- most undergrad programs from top 10 USA unis only bring you up to the mid to late 80s. So, you're actually skipping basic designs, such as cache line improvements in RISC architectures, and transition to CISC elements. Have you done CISC ISA designs on FPGAs? Thought not.

See, all these building blocks give you strength in your future knowledge. And take any exe on your computer right now, disassemble it / open in IDA or olly, etc., and see what you are looking at.
>>
>>27503193
Yep. If you're in compsci, do everything you can to get internships during the summer season. If you don't, you'll have the degree but not the work experience to grab a good job.

The degree on your resume is to tell laypeople you're qualified, the project information/past experience on your resume is to tell actual compsci people that you're not just another brainless university 'graduate'. Do the side projects in your spare time, toss them up on Github, and share them/send that info to relevant people when job hunting.

God, if one of the applicants for my workplace actually had some interesting projects when asked to provide sample code rather than old code that was made for a class a year or two ago, they'd practically jump to the top of the list. But we hire undergrads, so it's always always always the same programming architecture class project that they send in.
>>
>>27504000
How can you tell if it's code from an undergrad course?
>>
>>27503867

Well its obvious that your retarded and can't work on and help develop a real manufacturing pinnacle like 3d metal printing. Try a real career scrub, a 12 year old can punch in G-code
>>
>>27504022

different poster but it's because it looks like shit and solves a useless or heavily contrived problem
>>
>>27504000
Is there a specific type of project you like to see?
I have a chrome extension and a bunch of work on cnc controller firmware. Is there anything in specific that looks really good
>>
>>27504000
What kind of side projects do you want, anyway? I'm not creative enough to think of something original but non-trivial that hasn't been made before.
>>
>>27504031
No asshole. I've built 3 custom machines now. The last two were the best, dragknife cutter and uv curing gasket dispenser. Started with the basic hardware from an old machine, tore up and rebuilt the controller module, designed and built the entire thing myself and wrote custom firmware for the controller as well as completely custom posts for both
>>
engineering students are annoying shitlords
>>
>>27504022
I can tell because I've worked as a programmer full time long enough now (only 5 years, lol) to realize the difference between code that the writer doesn't understand, code that the writer understands, and code that the writer both understands and understands the context for it (does it need to be modular? What if we want to expand on it in the future? Is it optimized?) Sorry for the shit answer, but it's just something you pick up over time.

>>27504044
Anything that excites you when you think about it. If I get someone who can get really worked up talking about their personal project to me, I can tell they're a good programmer. Other than that, I'd say the quality of the code is better than the content (modularization, built-in testing, documentation, using common design patterns)
>>
File: 1457161662814.gif (106 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1457161662814.gif
106 KB, 250x250
>>27504097

wew laddy

originalroni
>>
>>27504067
No need to be original, just do something you find interesting. It'll make it easy for you to work on, and when you talk about it it'll be obvious that you're engaged in the act of programming it. Though I'd say keep the project simple & quick, so you don't spend months doing a single project. Keep it fun & moving along so you keep interest in the work itself.

Be ready to make some absolute shit, too. All my early stuff was absolutely terrible, and I still think anything I wrote about a year ago isn't great quality. It's all about the long-term gain which is built up slowly over time after realizing that writing code as fast as possible is really the worst way to ensure your program remains flexible bug-free.
>>
>>27504097
Of course they are, I'm sorry I fell for the STEM meme and have to be around these losers all day

Never met a group of people with more unwarranted self importance than engineering students

This one autistic loser thinks that because he's majoring in aerospace he's gonna be building rockets to Mars
That stupid nigga gonna end up designing fans for refrigerators
>>
>>27504174
>Never met a group of people with more unwarranted self importance than engineering students

lel. My work hires these young engineers on 3 year contracts and works them 80 hours a week for shit salary.

Even that isn't enough for the stingy Jews so we're going to start bringing in Pajeets next years.
>>
>>27503193
The whole education system is a scam m8

You learn arbitrary shit that you will never use and go to the job hunting without any useful skill.
>>
>>27504196
>My work hires these young engineers on 3 year contracts and works them 80 hours a week for shit salary

Good

>we're going to start bringing in Pajeets next years

Not good
Your time will be spent debugging their spaghetti durka durka code or just throwing it out and starting from scratch yourself
>>
>>27504084

Wow, I'm actually impressed you went from 12 to 20. Get back to me when you can fab a Ytterbium fibre laser, and I'll upgraded you to "above average" engineer kid.
>>
File: descarga.jpg (8 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
descarga.jpg
8 KB, 300x168
>>27503193
It is AMA thread for me, Hiroyuki.
I think I should speak Spanish, though.
>>
File: 1459220535061.jpg (66 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1459220535061.jpg
66 KB, 800x800
>>27504174
the funniest thing ive seen in my entire life was a party made up of entirely engineering students

fucking slow dancing to house music
>>
>>27504223
well I'm not even an engineer and I have no interest or experience with lasers soo... kill yourself?
>>
at what year did engineers make over 100k?
>>
>>27504339

Why are you so mad, you seem like a young man with a lot of potential. Make me a fucking laser.
>>
>>27504357

year (-1)^2
>>
>>27504429
Only engineers will understand XD
>>
>>27504441

I should've stayed in science, fuck engineers and fuck engineering.
>>
>>27503193
>memorising assembly opcodes
Motorola 68000?
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.