[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey robots, Gradecuck here. I just got my college admissions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: 1456783609996.jpg (18 KB, 600x238) Image search: [Google]
1456783609996.jpg
18 KB, 600x238
Hey robots,
Gradecuck here. I just got my college admissions back and I didn't get into any of my dream schools. My dreams of going to an ivy league or a top notch college are officially over. Those four years of getting that GPA and SAT scores just didn't translate into college acceptances I guess. I have 0 social life so it was kind of satisfying to do well in a specialized high school and beat the normies, too bad they all got into better schools than me. I'm thinking of joining the army or something instead of going to some backwater safety school for the next four years. After seeing my work in highschool go to waste, who's to say that doing well in college will actually land me a good job?

I just want to get the fuck away from here and get as far away as I can from this academic bullshit, but I don't know how. Fuck it all.
>>
>>27501644
Normie

ORIGINAL COMMENT DO NOT STEAL
>>
>>27501692
>0 social life
>no friends
>never talked to a girl
>normie
>>
>>27501746
>high GPA
>can study peacefully

Yeah. Normie.
>>
>>27501644
You never had a chance to get into some bullshit ivy league school. Even if you had the best grades you could get. Your chances were slim to none. Go to a fun school. Honestly, bot even ironically. Dont be such a fucking nerd. College is supposed to be an experience you enjoy.
>>
>>27501790
>study peacefully
>peacefully
If you say so.

>high GPA
Not sure what that has to do with anything.
>>
>>27501644
i went to a state school for ug and got into an ivy for grad with minimal effort

undergraduate admissions is actually retarded, dont let it get you down
>>
>>27501851
I go to an amped up specialized high school in an urban area, with my stats I had a chance at the ivy league or at least high tier schools. I'd say about 50/900 kids go to an ivy.
>>
>>27501851
You will still be able to be whatever you want to go into as your career.
>>
Did you actually think you had a chance to get into an ivy league? Are you retarded?

You know you have to be literally insane and do a fuckton of shit to get accepted into those kinds of schools. Like be varsity in several sports, have all these extra curricular activities, all this volunteer work. And many other things not including academic shit.

Did you really do that anon? Some fucking dude that posts on /r9k/? You actually had hopes for that? You actually have to be a special individual to get into a school like that, or have rich fucking parents. You can only be this disappointed if you were stupid enough to think you could get into a college like that with grades and test scores alone.

also
>college
>>
Just do two years at a community college or something then apply with good grades. These schools often take transfers with good records.
>>
>>27501644
So what are these "backwater schools"? I thought I was in the same position as you, but it turns out my safety school wasn't bad at all. It's UC Davis, by the way. You can still be whatever you want dude. At least one of the schools you got accepted to has to have at least one graduate who went on to be a nobel prize winner or famous artist or whatever.
>>
>>27501859
Thanks senpai. I appreciate the sentiment.

>>27501851
>fun experience
Not for socially retarted people...
>>
>waah, I can go to any school for free or a discounted price except the super super elite for rich people

eat a dick nerdlord
>>
>>27501644
>waaahhhh i didnt get into an ivy league school i could never afford
>im just gonna cry and pretend im gonna join the army instead of just going to a good state school and then transfering to an ivy for my masters

pro tip all the faggots like you end up getting friends and gfs in college. You are not a robot you are just a young-fag/failed-normie who sucked at highschool.
>>
>>27501886
>using the fraction 50/900
>expecting to get into an ivy

just use 1/18 like a normal person jesus
>>
>>27501644
I made the biggest mistake of my life thus far when I decided to go to a top school. I was Pre-Med and put so much pressure on myself. The general atmosphere at an extremely selective school is so cutthroat and competitive...I rarely socialized and isolated myself from friends and family.I wish I decided to go to a big state school to have fun and still do well in my academics.

What I'm trying to say OP is that it doesn't matter what college you really go to. If you are willing to work your ass off wherever you go you will be rewarded for it. If I could do it all over trust me I would.
>>
>>27501644
look into a junior college or trade school that teaches non destructive inspection methods.

I get paid to ride an atv up and down a huge ass pipeline with my rifle (dem bears and shit) while scanning the pipe and making sure nothing is going wrong. Only communicate through emails and the occasional call if somethings fucking up. I also make 85k a year, the hours are long as fuck though. Average week is 65hrs.
>>
>>27501897
Like I said a good amount of kids from my school go to ivies every year. Don't assume I'm a dumbass just because I'm a robot.

>>27501925
case-western and suny bing. Got waitlisted by all the top 25 schools I applied to.
>>
>>27501937
>sucked at highschool
Sorry but no.

>>27501967
900 people in the grade, 50 got into ivies.

>>27501970
It would've been nice if I'd been accepted into a good school Anon. Just to acknowledge the work I put into my GPA and stats.
>>
>>27501897
>thinking shit tier ivy leagues like brown or cornell are actually hard to get into

>>27501977
Case western isn't bad
>>
File: Get outta here.png (28 KB, 480x293) Image search: [Google]
Get outta here.png
28 KB, 480x293
>>27501644
Bruh, lemme let you in on a little secret. Most people don't give a shit about where you went to college, and there are just as many Harvard grads wasting away in dead-end burger flipping jobs as there are U of State grads.

Man the fuck up.
>>
>>27502087
>and there are just as many Harvard grads wasting away in dead-end burger flipping jobs as there are U of State grads.
That really probably is not true and you know it.
Compare a lower ivy like cornell versus a decent state school like uc davis, and then you're probably right.
>>
>>27502059
True, but knowing that the retarted girl with an 85 GPA also got in doesn't make me feel great. People with lower grades than me got into cornell. I fucking hate this sytem. Shouldn't you be placed where your ability puts you? I just want to get out of all this academic bullshit.
>>
>>27502037
i meant the social aspect of highschool, not the fact that you were a try hard with the grades.

funny story some kid was making fun of my friend when he was drunk because he had a better GPA in highschool. Even though my friend is making good money in the union and has a qt gf and a house while the kid who had the good GPA was a KV nursing student. My friend beat the shit out of him because he wouldnt shut up and kept calling him a dumb ass.
>>
>>27502037
I understand totally. It must feel like it was a waste to work so hard for your grades and stuff but trust me it isn't. If going to a top school is really that big of a deal its not hard to transfer colleges, just have a high GPA and you should be good.
>>
go to a state school you fucking retard, and go STEM. otherwise, kill yourself.

why state? because it's cheaper.
>>
>>27502127
your "ability" isn't just based on your grades and gpa. if you can't even manage to make a friend in highschool, you are likely to be less successful in society later on as well. That isn't to say you will be a failure- but someone who is almost as academically successful as you, yet also very charismatic will likely do better than you. Those are the people they are looking for.
>>
>>27502136
Well if that's what you mean I'm a hopeless robot. I lift though so I could kick chad's ass.

>>27502139
I'd have to wait a year though. It's hard enough waiting for my last college decision (it's U Mich) in a few weeks. And how do I know that this kind of shit doesn't happen in college or in the workplace too? What if I do well in college but don't get a job just cuz. After getting dunked on by colleges I don't see why the same thing won't happen again later in life. Are robots destined to fail? Maybe the admissions committee knew that I was a complete fucking loser.
>>
File: CdyFQy6.png (49 KB, 1111x1024) Image search: [Google]
CdyFQy6.png
49 KB, 1111x1024
>>27502245
You'll be fine Anon. Don't let it get to you.
>>
File: 1455380830177.png (189 KB, 2560x2489) Image search: [Google]
1455380830177.png
189 KB, 2560x2489
>>27502403
Thanks Anon. I'll do my best.
>>
>>27502059
>thinking shit tier ivy leagues like brown or cornell are actually hard to get into
Agree. Even my backwater university in Canada is ranked higher than Cornell usually.
>>
>>27501644

Hey OP, I was in your position 3 years ago and ended up going to my safety school and getting rejected from my dream schools. I really am not bullshitting you when I say if I could do it over again and choose, I would pick the University of Alabama over Stanford. Doing your undergrad debt-free in a place where you're above-average is awesome.
>>
Btw this kid has 93.7 GPA 800 Math II and 790 Physics 2260 SAT and is on Track Team
>>
>>27502633
Is it though? How does it feel being around people who are not as smart as you? Doesn't it make you feel stupid too? Good colleges also give good financial aid so that wouldn't really be a problem.
>>
>>27501897
This desu. I was captain of the varsity lacrosse team, vp of the model UN club, had a 2100 SAT score, and I'm a double minority (black/latino) and I still didn't get into an Ivy League school. That shit is competitive.
>>
>>27502772
First of all SAT score isn't quite good enough, second of all if you go to a run of the mill HS you don't have a great chance.
>>
>>27502693

I would've still had to take on around $40,000 of personal debt to graduate from Stanford (school would've asked for $20k/yr, parents told me they could pay $10k/yr). After my scholarship and stipend it costs a few thousand a year for me to exist including goceries and books and fees and everything, which my parents help me pay.

It doesn't make me feel stupid to be here. I'm sometimes astounded at how dumb some people I meet here are, but I've also met people just as smart as I am and people just as smart as my HS classmates at schools like Yale, Duke, and Vanderbilt. The bigger the school the more types of people you meet. I'm often happy not to be surrounded by the super involved types who thrive in Ivy-tier schools
>>
It's not necessarily about you. Ivy league schools get so many applications from kids who are all uniquely qualified, talented, and well rounded. Sometimes they have to reject people who have all the right stuff.

I assume you applied to other schools, right? It's not a big deal to go to your second or third choice. I did and I loved it.
>>
>>27502989
Can you get a good job graduating from a school like U Alabama? I mean, going to Stanford would give you a huge step up getting a job wouldn't it?

Also did you mean to say your HS classmates that went to schools like Yale, Duke and Vandy? Sounds like you went to each school personally the way you wrote it.
>>
>>27503064

There's absolutely the employment consideration, but I'm in a pretty consistent field (computer science) and I've been co-oping with a company in Huntsville, where I'd expect an offer after graduation. Realistically my starting salary is going to be around ~$10k lower from Bama than it would've been at a place like Stanford. In terms of how far that money goes, I'd rather be in the Southeast with $10k less than in the Bay Area with an extra $10k.

Let me rephrase the second part: At UA, I've met people who are equally as smart as my HS friends who went to Yale, Duke, Vandy. Bad phrasing on my part.
>>
Should've lied and said you were Native American
>>
>>27502649
Nigga what. What's his weighted and unweighted gpa, not his average
>>
>>27501644
What state are you from, anon? I went to a specialized high school and turned out a failure as well.
>>
>>27503891
New York.
>original comment
>>
>>27501644
Your odds were abysmal. There are just so many people with impeccable scores and an assload of extracurriculars applying that it's basically down to chance.

Just got done reading an article about this very subject (and its followup): http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/03/where-admissions-went-wrong/475575/
>>
>>27503911
Ah, nevermind famalam. I thought you were someone I knew from high school. (Indiana and Michigan here)

Best of luck to you though
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.