[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else here find going on facebook severely depressing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1427322663017.jpg (7 KB, 260x322) Image search: [Google]
1427322663017.jpg
7 KB, 260x322
Does anyone else here find going on facebook severely depressing?
Seeing all the people you went to high school with succeeding in life n such
>>
File: 1448836522248.jpg (295 KB, 869x604) Image search: [Google]
1448836522248.jpg
295 KB, 869x604
Succeeding in what, the great merry go round of vanity?

Check yourself.
>>
>>27499938

If it makes you feel better, 99.99% of them are putting up an act.

A lot of people don't even really enjoy the things they doing as more than an excuse for photos or as a checkbox.
>>
thats why I fucking deleted my Facebook

I feel 100% better about myself

get off normiebook DO IT DO IT NOW
>>
>>27499938
Your definition of sucess is finding a woman, having kids, getting fat, slaving away in a job you hate while you slowly start to resent your wife before dying a premature death of heart disease? Kek
>>
>>27500242
That helps mildly. Feel a bit less like killing myself tn
>>
Never had a fb loool
>>
the thing is with facebook, it seems like everyone else is having a great life because they only post the cool good thinga that happen to them. they don't post the ugly side of their life. quit Facebook.
>>
Noone on facebook gives a shit about you anyway
>>
>>27500264
I did too a few years ago. Then I made another one to talk to the one friend I had left who now is ignoring me
>>
>>27500274
Just realised im not on /fit/ mb
>>
>>27500275
You're a piece of shit. You are only depressed because you are envious of others. Other people being worse off makes you feel better. That is some shit, I know I wouldn't want you as a friend because you would always attempt to put me down. And it is not even your fault, it is the damage that your growing up has caused on you. That sucks dude.
>>
>>27500503
> You are only depressed because you are envious of others. Other people being worse off makes you feel better.
Pretty accurate description of me, well done
>>
>>27500242
>>27499938
I see the same thing, and I know because I've sometimes been guilty of it myself.

I did a test. I posted a status that consisted of a lyric from a song by The Smiths and I knew precisely which people would click like, and they did. I knew they would feel compelled to click like because they had set up an identity of "I'm into cool music" so they wanted to say by liking the status "yeah, I totally love that song too." There's a quote but I can't remember who said it or if it was anonymous. It goes something like this: "You are not what you think you are, you are not what other people think you are, you are what you think other people think you are" - people will set up for themselves an identity of interdependency between their own perception of themselves and other's perceptions of themselves. And they post photos, statuses, links and articles pertaining to how they wish to be perceived and who they wish to be - but never who they actually are, since they don't know who they are.

Having realized this, I'm no longer jealous of others and I behave very differently in the Wired now having a self awareness of the workings of my own ego. Everything I do on normiebook now is done with the consideration of throwing a wrench into that machinery of identity. I intentionally belittle myself often, but somehow still in a boastful way. I make any political related posts and shares inconsistent with any coherent philosophy, switching between being moderate, far left, and far right. I post high brow satire as well as shitty ironic memes. The music I share is mainstream, and 2deep5u hipster stuff. The result is that I've become a complete outcast that somehow everyone can relate to a little bit.

cont.
>>
You have to realise people don't put anything on there unless it makes them look good, it's like looking at their life through rose tinted glasses.

>Photos at the club with girls and friends
>''I'm attending this event soon, I'm so outgoing and cool xD''
>''Look at my new car!''
>''I got a new job xD''
>Some lame neg at their significant other letting everyone know they are together right now and are probably having filthy sex.
>The classic photo with the bf/gf in x romantic location.

It seems like on facebook everyones life is just a string of perfect moments. You don't see when their down, or when they've lost their job or their relationship has broken down (unless they are like 12). It's a complete load of self indulgent bullshit, take it with a pinch of salt.
>>
>>27500667
To conclude, even in this rambling post I am self aware that most of you will see it as cringeworthy and pretentious - and that is what I have intended, as there's no other way to express this complex idea in a short post. I think a large volume could be written about the subject of the ego's interaction with the internet. It is such a new and poorly understood phenomena that I don't think any book has hitherto been written about it.
>>
>>27500568
>>27500503
But at the same time I do not wish bad things on others. It just kind of makes me feel less shitty about myself when someone else is struggling
>>
>>27499938
Facebook is just a highlight reel.
It is not representative of their actual, very mundane lives.
Don't compare yourself to others on Facebook.

I actually deactivated my Facebook because it was affecting me negatively.
Best decision of my life, I have felt much better for so long.

If it makes you feel so bad, just deactivate it.
It's not hard, no one is forcing you to go there
>>
Deactivate Facebook mate
You're not obliged to go there
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.