[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here /prefersmoviestovideogames/ ? Movies and film in general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 17
File: 2014-11-09-2001aspaceodyssey.jpg (49 KB, 620x225) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-09-2001aspaceodyssey.jpg
49 KB, 620x225
Who here /prefersmoviestovideogames/ ? Movies and film in general surpass video games in every way.
>>
movies are long, boring, and lack content
i prefer manga
>>
>>27496410
You're boring and definitely lack this cock
>>
File: blade runner.jpg (5 KB, 293x172) Image search: [Google]
blade runner.jpg
5 KB, 293x172
>>27496396
I love movies
watched pic related last night
>>
>>27496919
Absolute classic

Originality blox
>>
>>27496919
This film is truly something
>>
>>27496396
If you are into a great story and great atmosphere, movies always beat video games any day. Gaming is only good in my opinion if it is used for simulation and for competitive reasons (RCT2, Sim City 2000 are some of my favorite tycoons games while games like Mount and Blade NW, Victoria II, and Animal Crossing provided some comfy fun on weekends too. I can't stand how games try to be cinematic as they fall flat every time and the end result is just awful either way (Modern Military Shooters Single players, Sony Exclusives, and other "arty gaymes".)
>>
>>27496919
Like tears...in the rain....
>>
>>27496396
Usually
Some video games are really good, though
Problem with video games is that it takes a lot more effort to make them have a good plotline just because there's so much other stuff to worry about

As the medium gets more complex it's often more difficult to get your message out, if you even have one.

Books > movies > video games, in general, following this principles.
>>
>>27497057
*artsy games

Music wise, movies sometimes have the upper hand compared to video games except for action flicks where sometimes the soundtrack is forgettable at best. It just depends. My favorite video game soundtracks are often from the SNES/Genesis Era (Sega games have amazing tracks considering the hardware limita
>>
>>27496396
Bullshit man, bullshit. I love movies but it has 3 acts. The limits of time a movie can be set 3 hours most to introduce everything, everyone, and progress a story. Throw in budgets, people that work there to collaborate not necessarily doing what the director wants it might not be filmed in order or something already done just doesn't fit in with something they need to change.
Technically a television show should be better than a movie if it has funding. Characters can go through plot twists and change a bit without forcing it super fast. Can have plot twists, introduce new characters, bring back old ones. Can get rid of other characters.

Video games are hitting a point on being 3d that they're turning into miniature movies when there are examples of games that were more complex than that. technically games were better but they are kind of falling into the same problems as movies.

Shows like Orphan Black, Grimm, Angel, Firefly, Sparticus, Game of Thrones, Battlestar Galactica are better than movies. Although firefly had a really good movie that pretty much got me into watching the show.
>>
>>27496396
>>27496410

You're both wrong, books are the ultimate media. As you read a favorite classic with a fine wine glass or cigar, you can re-imagine the characters and settings in your mind in a completely new way. Only your own imagination is your limitation. Not graphical engines or studio budgets.
>>
>>27497126
*limitations

originality commentary
>>
File: ulfric-stormcloak.jpg (152 KB, 800x634) Image search: [Google]
ulfric-stormcloak.jpg
152 KB, 800x634
>>27496396

I like the medium, but Hollywood movies are far too kosher. AAA Games are a little more politically incorrect. Good luck finding a movie where a viking style people can be the good guys fighting off hordes of foreign influences and keeping their traditions pure without being given a politically correct "lesson" on why it is wrong to be a nationalist.

Aside from that, video games are more interactive and get me involved much more. Movies are something passive I watch if I'm about to go to sleep.

The only thing video games lack is maturity and legitimacy that films have. You can't tell a good story like Godfather because of the demands for action and continuous violence in most game genres. The "Godfather" game is just some scenes from the movie interspersed with killing hundreds of goons in GTA fashion. There are movies with ridiculous kill counts, but they are usually action movies.

The following is the only type of movie that is currently represented well in video game format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmPylZecOQc

As soon as video games grow out of the teen and manchild demographic, maybe some more quality stories can be told. LA Noire is a glimpse into the future of realistic "boring" games where real stories are told and you solve problems much like real person would. Classic point and click adventure games did this as well.
>>
>>27497160
This. Sometimes, your imagination provides the best visual for what a character should be like and what the setting would feel like too. Its even better if the author doesn't provide any art that reveals the characters or settings on the cover page.
>>
Movies aren't all that, cinema is where it's at.
>>
Yes. I'm a hardcore cinephile. Watching 5 films in a day it's my deffinition of a good day.
Current hollywood cinema is problably the only type of films i don't watch because they don't challenge me enough anymore.
>>
Any thoughts on theater? I know movies are sort of a more advance medium of it but ignoring the modern trash that is often passed as theater today, how does it hold up to other forms of media like video games and such?
>>
>>27497160
Fuk a book. That's a last resort medium of entertainment for me, like when an ice storm hit here a little while back and my power was out for about 4 days. I read a book, but as soon as that shit came back on, I couldn't have dropped that book any quicker, and it was a book I enjoyed too.
>>
>>27497160
Not when you have ADHD.
>>
They're totally different. Films don't require motor skills or anything like that.
>>
>>27497215

Cinema is where one watches a movie. What's the difference? Artsy fartsy elitism?
>>
File: frank-black366.jpg (35 KB, 360x449) Image search: [Google]
frank-black366.jpg
35 KB, 360x449
>tfw used to be a huge horror buff and would watch at least one movie a day before falling for the depression meme
>>
I can't even watch a movie in one sitting unless I'm in a theater.
>>
>>27497207
>>27497277

I was half-joking, especially with the whole wine and cigar and fedora thing,

Books and movies and video games and manga and anime and paintings and music and whatever else all have their pros and cons and time and place, none of them are really objectively any superior to another.
>>
>>27497264
OP here. Absolutely love theater. I saw Othello and The Tempest not too long ago. I love going to see plays.
>>
Stop bullshitting. Books are a far better way of transmitting info.
>>
>>27497450
I saw my local city's redention of Othello as well. As well as some other plays in my theatre class. Good fun. Nice venues too.
>>
>>27497503
Do you do any acting, anon?
>>
>>27497160
What about text adventures?
>>
Imo video games are still in the phase films were during 1900 to 1920's.
People just went to watch small films that were made to make them go "wow".
Games are like that. But i think they have the potential to become genuinely an art form.
The game i played that's closest to being art imo is BioShock. But i gave up playing games long a go. It's just not my thing.
>>
>>27496396
I agree, OP. I enjoy passive media consumption. Video games take too much work, and I hate when the plot won't progress because I can't be a level or whatever
>>
>>27497519
Some. I only did one show in my time in the course. I am not a arts major. I just like doing theater.
>>
>>27497476

They are a better way of transmitting character thoughts and intentions, but they are clunky at transmitting scenes and images.
>>
>>27497537
the 20s were heralded as the golden age of film
if you knew anything about history or film you would know that
>>
>>27497537
but video games have already been around for 45 years.

65 years actually if you want to look as far bck as the first prototypes and not just the available commercial stuff like Pong.
>>
>>27497785
I know my english is very poor, but i meant to say that. 1920's is definitely when films started to become interesting.
There a couple of great films before that, but not so many.
>>
>>27496396
I enjoy them more too, though to be honest I barely enjoy movies much these days :/
>>
>>27496396
The vast majority of movies run at 24fps, so I can't take them seriously as an artform. I mostly watch low budget genre movies because at least then the poor motion quality fits well with the poor quality of everything else. "Film look" is for retards.
>>
>>27497933
It doesn't have to be exactly the same obviously. Like i said, i believe games have teh potential, but as long as more people enjoy playing stuff like CoD that treats the player as a 5 years old child, games won't make the next step, because gamers aren't demanding more complex stuff.
>>
>>27498194
There are plenty of games that treat the player like an adult. Sounds like you don't know much about it.
>>
>>27497371
If someone mentions they're into "movies" it generaly means they're into plebby blockbusters, as opposed to cinema which sums up images of Bresson, Malle, Tarkovsky etc..
>>
>>27497160
>As you read a favorite classic with a fine wine glass or cigar, you can re-imagine the characters and settings in your mind in a completely new way.
>>
File: 1426181424180.jpg (31 KB, 580x446) Image search: [Google]
1426181424180.jpg
31 KB, 580x446
>>27497413
Child...

Oh look at that I need to put text.
>>
>>27498194
yeah but as far as books go people care about harry Potter and 50 shades of grey, for movies it's whatever bullshit Marvel comes out with each summer, and occasionaly an Adam Sandler movie and a Seth Rogen stoner and/or buddy comedy, for TV it's Family Guy and The Big Bang Theory, for music it's Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus, etc.

>>27498352
thank you for that
>>
File: 1458185633634.jpg (7 KB, 200x244) Image search: [Google]
1458185633634.jpg
7 KB, 200x244
>>27498194
>I believe movies have the potential, but as long as more people enjoy watching stuff like Batman vs Superman that treats the viewer as a 5 years old child, movies won't make the next step, because viewers aren't demanding more complex stuff.

You can apply normie shit to every type of medium, your problem is that you complain about video games while looking only at the surface which is garbage for normies, they're just like movies, constant stream of shit designed for most braindead consumers aka normies but sometimes you can spot a really shiny diamond in it, this applies to every medium, it doesn't matter if it's a movie, book or a videogame, even anime applies to this.
>>
Neither of them is "better", but I do like video games a lot more. Sitting passively for 90 minutes to two hours doesn't interest me.
>>
>>27497160
I can agree with this, read more than a few fantasy books so far ever since I found an interest in them

Most of them are meme FOTM books though, I liked The Night Angel series as well as the Broken Empire trilogy and Lightbringer series, Lies of Locke Lamora, Mistborn trilogy, and Gonzales books on the EVE universe

I read a few classics like The Hobbit but don't know much else, I would read a few if I knew what to look for

Really enjoy books from the Forgotten Realms universe as well, My all time favorite story was pic related, it was so good I might go buy it and re-read it again

I discovered a set of ld copies of this series at the local library and its what got me so hooked, literally would have never even considered reading books before I got community service working there
>>
Movies are the ultimate form of visual portrayal of emotion. And many masterpieces are made on the same topics that many of us struggle with on a daily basis.
>>
>>27500826

Yeah, that's deep, man.
>>
File: TD6.png (505 KB, 842x459) Image search: [Google]
TD6.png
505 KB, 842x459
>>27500826
I will not rest until every robot has seen Taxi Driver
It's simple enough to be enjoyed by your braindead outcast while also being complex and rewarding repeat viewings

It's my favorite movie alongside Apocalypse Now and No Country for Old Men
>>
>>27497537
there are plenty of "artistic" games, the problem is the majority of them aren't action
>layton
>wright
>rule of rose
>metal gear
>any point/click game or "walking simulator"
>xenogames other than X
>LISA
>silent hill
>literally hundreds of free indie games

there are already art games, they just don't sell
just like there are art films, but they don't sell either - blockbusters do and that's why we see more of them, it's the same in any art form
>>
>>27501012
I watched it when i was 14 but im sure i didn't appreciate it as much as i would now. Will re watch.
>>
>>27496919
Greatest movie ever made desu senpaitachi
>>
>>27496919
>>27501327

I tried watching this but got bored like half an hour in or so, can't really remember since it was a long time ago. What exactly is the appeal?
>>
>>27501053
goddamn, LISA was wonderful
>>
>>27501053
You choose not to look for art films more like.
>>
>>27501505
There's a lot of separate elements of appeal with Blade Runner. That's one of the best things about it, it presents a surprisingly simple story that is still open to interpretation, and is able to touch on a lot of moral and philosophical ideas in very simple ways.
>>
>>27501723
i didn't say that there weren't art films, I said that art films don't sell/enter the public conscience

they're also mostly shit but still
>>
>>27501505
I agree with you
It's overhyped
Read 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep'. It's way better
Blade Runner is just overhyped wankery
I was extremely disappointed
>>
Movies are politically correct and controlled by Hollywood Jews. You can do whatever the fuck you want in video games.
>>
>>27501780
Spoilered your lack of meaningful opinion. Nice. Back to videogames child, leave Louis Malle to the adults.
>>
I love films but most recent stuff doesn't appeal to me. I wish we still lived in a time where something like 2001 could be made with a huge budget and a hugely talented team. Now it's either hollywoodshit or low budget indieshit.

I blame the 80s for this shit.
>>
>>27501955
is this really your opinion
>is this for real
>really
really
m8
>>
i love movies. i pretty much have outgrown video games since playing them starting at 7 years old all the way to 18 years.
i really cant stand long movies though, an hour and a half is ideal. recently i watched the 400 blows. the ending totally shook me.
>>
>>27502003
Budget doesn't matter. Have you seen Primer? The greatest sci-fi of modern times?
>>
File: Preacher_012_022.jpg (800 KB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
Preacher_012_022.jpg
800 KB, 1988x3056
Graphic novels/comics are always slept on as an art form
>>
File: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH.gif (607 KB, 800x792) Image search: [Google]
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH.gif
607 KB, 800x792
All depends on what movies/video games we're talking about, really.
>>
>>27502045
Primer is actually a pretty good example. It's shot badly, the audio is stupidly bad, the acting is terrible, the director has gone on to produce nothing interesting in over a decade since Primer found fame. Sure, it's better than not existing at all, but it's not as good as it could be in other circumstances.
>>
>>27496396
I started liking movies more than videogames for some reason lately, I have no clue why though. Anyone else feeling like this?
Watched Apocalypse Now yesterday and re-watched Taxi Driver.
Is Drive a good movie? would anyone suggest it?
>>
>>27502211
Drive is very impressive visually and the soundtrack is great (and fitting) too. It's definitely worth watching
>>
File: stalker.jpg (51 KB, 570x855) Image search: [Google]
stalker.jpg
51 KB, 570x855
Pic related is fantastic and absolutely worth a watch
>>
>>27496396
>Who prefers music to books here?
What kind of fucking OP is this, you goddamn faggot?
>>
>>27502103
Errrm upstream colo(u)r, hellooo?
>>
>>27502250
His 4th best film yes
>>
File: 1428073070044.png (309 KB, 664x602) Image search: [Google]
1428073070044.png
309 KB, 664x602
>>27502315
I thought it was mediocre

>>27502250
Tarkovsky films are a special kind of comfy you can't really find anywhere else.
>>
File: 1408007183799.jpg (74 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1408007183799.jpg
74 KB, 1280x720
who here /toomiserabletoevenengageinescapismanymore/? All I do is shitpost and think about killing myself.
>>
>>27502370
Malle is more comfy tbph..
>>
>>27502393

Why don't you JUST do it already then?
>>
>>27502479
The Malle films I liked the most were the ones that made me want to kill myself to be honest
>>
anyone else not give a single shit about story-driven games? if i want to experience a strong narrative i'll read a book or watch a movie

i basically only play competitive multiplayer games these days
>>
>>27502960
Opposite; multiplayer isn't fun at all, mostly because I suck at games.
>>
>>27502250
The philosophical dialogue sucked IMO
>>
>>27502583
Such as? Origonusu
>>
>>27496396
>preferring movies to books
top lel although some are better like the shining and to kill a mockingbird
>>
>>27503248

>preferring books to paintings

Total mega ultra pleb extraordinaire detected
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.