[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fictional worlds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 9
File: 1411524613491.jpg (977 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
1411524613491.jpg
977 KB, 2560x1600
Where do I start with creating a fictional universe with a diverse cast of characters?
I've had so many ideas that have come and gone and I really want to get one to be set in motion but I don't know what to do.

Does anyone else have a desire to create anyhting?
>>
Had to start young and not get your imagination snuffed out by 12 years of nonsense. You might have missed the boat but try visualization practice.
>>
File: Jozef_Pilsudski1.jpg (42 KB, 442x660) Image search: [Google]
Jozef_Pilsudski1.jpg
42 KB, 442x660
I do this all the time.

I generally start with a historical period/place and start altering from there.
I find it's better than trying to start from nothing, and you can end up with something nothing like your starting point if you wish.

So thats my 2 kopeck worth of advice.
>>
Anyone trying to make a tulpa?

I'm making a world in my mind for the tulpa to live in, still not sure if I'm doing it right though or if tulpas are even real
>>
>>27489738
>still not sure if I'm doing it right though or if tulpas are even real

You mean you're questioning whether or not a thing you design and make in your own mind is real?

Literally the only way to "make" one is to
>concentrate really hard and it will be real in your mind

It's self delusion at its finest. They are not real. You are making an imaginary friend that someone gave a stupid name to to make it seem spooky and possibly real.
>>
>>27489780
I don't care why it's real, just that it's possible
>>
>>27488815
I'd love to do this desu

I have a few worlds that help my writing, I will never actually write about them, but i sometimes use them as an output and a way to stimulate my writing.

I usually create one person to begin with, a kind of protagonist (although as the world grows they may end up taking a back seat if i come up with someone i like more) get a clear mental picture of the person, how they look, what they wear, how they behave ect.
Then start creating the world bit by bit around them.
>>
>>27489852
I'm already trying to come up with a rough cast of characters for a world I've been imagining for some time now.
I don't know a lot about half the characters I'm attempting to make but I have a rough idea of what their purpose is in the world I'm trying to build.

I just need to record these ideas somehow so I never lose them.
>>
I just start small with a basic plot and the world builds itself around me until it's become complex and intricate.
>>
>>27490014

This. You have to start with a few basic building blocks that hit the marks you want to hit, and then you add in the details to make them connect, and then edit and revise to have them make sense.
>>
File: 1457324859062.jpg (89 KB, 526x588) Image search: [Google]
1457324859062.jpg
89 KB, 526x588
>you will never be on the level of Tolkien's world-building
>>
Dunno just how relevant it is, but there are some video series on yt under "world building".

My own tip: gather a library of images to serve as references. Download books on anythign you find interesting that could be applicable to what you might want to make. Go into some book site like libgen or w/e and type "warrior", "victorian" or "medieval", you'll get all kinds of shit.

>>27488947

We should team up and kurwa it up together.
>>
File: arrid.png (613 KB, 890x680) Image search: [Google]
arrid.png
613 KB, 890x680
>>27490114

PS As an example, here's part of my arrid biome folder.

Just by assembling it I came up with an original tree design, that would have a major impact on the rest of the enviroment.
>>
File: 484756734.jpg (56 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
484756734.jpg
56 KB, 300x360
>>27490096

You're going to make it OP, try and get a good education so you can get a decent job and don't become a NEET who shit posts and plays vidya all day.

I'm rooting for you, man.
>>
File: 1458343769754.jpg (244 KB, 1016x1400) Image search: [Google]
1458343769754.jpg
244 KB, 1016x1400
>>27490096
70% of Tolkien is just taking old world myths, folklore, and legends and throwing them together into a pot and mixing together some of their themes and injecting your own.
There's a reason he's the father of modern fantasy- its because really, he's the first to create a "generic" kind of fantasy world based on all that ancient shit. He's good, but really, anybody with creativity, time, and a bunch of encyclopedias could create something similar.
But most people just choose to imitate Dungeons and Dragons which in turn is just watered down Tolkien.
>>
File: 1439017752874.jpg (6 KB, 242x250) Image search: [Google]
1439017752874.jpg
6 KB, 242x250
I've been keeping a folder of all my ideas for the last 11 years (I add to it pretty much everyday so you can imagine the size of the thing). Don't know how to actually make anything out of it though. I sometimes start a script/novel but i never make it to the end of the first draft. Coming up with ideas is easy, fleshing them out into something of artistic worth is the tricky part
>>
>>27490853
I have no trouble with the artistic part but coming up with ideas is always a pain in the ass. Absolutely nothing comes to mind no matter how hard I try.
>>
File: Map.png (313 KB, 4972x2517) Image search: [Google]
Map.png
313 KB, 4972x2517
>>27488947
>I generally start with a historical period/place and start altering from there.

I fucking love doing this. I've got a timeline running right now that diverged in 1801.
>>
>>27491561
*don't click on that pic if you have a slow internet or a small computer btw
>>
Start with an idea
Anything that you like
Can be as vague and abstract as you want
Then branch out from their, pick out associated ideas
Let it grow on your organically, you don't have to decide everything all at once because if you do your world will end up stilted and contrived

And if you want to make a point, like something philosophical or whatever, it's good to have that in mind throughout the whole thing

Also listen to your (literal, as in when you sleep) dreams. They can be pretty inspiring.

>>27488877
fuck this feeling
>>
>>27491717
*from there
eeeyyyaaa
>>
>>27489834
It's not "real" though.

It "works", but it's an illusion, essentially a self-inflicted psychosis.

And of course, if you have poor mental discipline you might not be able to control this part of your mind once you sever it symbolically from your conception of self.
>>
I recommend starting with a novella or short novel. Amazon has Amazon short reads to give you examples of how to do that.

You don't want to start off with a 300 page behemoth right off the bat. It will be discouraging as fuck trying to make it coherent, well paced, edited well, etc.
>>
File: meow_by_kr0npr1nz-d95ha5c.jpg (132 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
meow_by_kr0npr1nz-d95ha5c.jpg
132 KB, 894x894
>>27489738
I started making oe months agoi and i shit u not i felt a pulse in my head when i asked her if she was there.

I gave up though since its hard to disipline yourself to sit down and concentrate for 15m

she looked like pic related but human form. like natalie portman whn she was 13.

i found it easier for the world she lived in was just an old empty small room like an old jail cell.

i feel bad just leaving her there uncomplete

sry for ass tyrping i ate crisps and have to type with 1 hand
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.