[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey robots I have the smog check coming up in May. California.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
Hey robots

I have the smog check coming up in May. California.

The mechanic I go to offered to set me up with a catalytic converter for $430 (parts and labor).
I'm hoping it's an electrical issue that'll cost less to fix.

As far as I can tell, my car is fine but the check engine light stays on. It's been the same error code each time I've checked. P0420 "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)"
Everyone I've taken the car to for different reasons never mentions my car's sensors or potential for electrical problems.

I should just take the deal, huh? What would you do?
>>
get a new converter. below threshold means it's not working properly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HADOcrcMikA
>>
>>27482017

>>>/o/ will be better than r9k.
>>
File: Jewsopp.jpg (10 KB, 134x177) Image search: [Google]
Jewsopp.jpg
10 KB, 134x177
>>27482017
Diesel/Car apprentice here OP

What fuel have you been using for your car OP Have you changed any of your oxygen sensors and have you done any engine work in the past?

Also if your ever gonna get your car repaired Its usually better to buy the parts yourself that way they can't jip you with the part prices
>>
>>27482099
You might be right.

>>27482206
Got the car in late 2014.

I've always used premium. Haven't changed the sensors.

Since then I've done the following, off the top of my head

> changed the engine mounts
> rebuilt the transmission
> regular oil changes (have to replace oil pan since a buddy of mine damaged it)
> changed the spark plugs
> changed bad ignition coils
> cleaned the EGR
> replaced power steering fluid

I really don't know much about cars, as you can probably tell.
>>
>>27482206
own my own shop here. Most of my profits come from charging the list price on the parts. It's also an assurance to the customer that if it fucks up its my fault. Any time a customer buys their own parts I tell them to either return them and have me buy them or to go to a different shop.
>>
>>27482017
If I remember correctly there should be a O2 sensor. If that sensor is bad it will give you these kind of errors for catalytic converter. Look into it for your car because replacing a sensor is way cheaper. You may be able to put it in your self.

I would also suggest getting a second opinion on what should be done.
>>
>>27482017
Most of the time it's a bad cat; rarely is it an electrical problem with that code. You can look up how to test your o2 sensors to make sure their working right if you want because they're the only electrical parts on the exhaust but normally the car would know it's the sensors and throw that code instead. Though if it is the sensors they could've told the car to put too much fuel and the cat could've melted but that's probably not the case.
>>
Thanks for your input, guys. I really do appreciate it.

Gonna check the electric parts first but will most likely end up paying the $430 for the converter as it's doubtful that it is indeed an electrical issue or an issue with sensors; separate codes would've shown up, right?

Let's hope this goes well. And thanks again.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.