[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would taking free courses online get me a job? I'm thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: assman.png (235 KB, 359x629) Image search: [Google]
assman.png
235 KB, 359x629
Would taking free courses online get me a job? I'm thinking about learning c# and unity3D programming.
>>
C# is all too common and doesn't set you apart much. If you did learn c# it would probably be one of those things you had to go your own way and make money alone.
>>
I don't have a job either, but I suggest applying yourself to some credible projects so you can put it in your portfolio.

They either look for qualifications or experience or both. If you don't have the former, you need to show them you have the experience.
>>
>>27462486
Yeah to add to that you're going to have a degree or a good portfolio. Some places prefer one over or the other. Some places want both.
>>
The whole portfolio thing is outdated advice. It doesn't make sense today when most tech jobs are actually just regular jobs that also involve some programming. Companies don't want some kinda code artist who just programs all day. You need to demonstrate that you can apply your tech skills to real world things.
>>
>>27462475
So what other programming language do you suggest learning? I'm completely new.
>>27462486
I'm aware of that, although I don't know how I can achieve that while not having any friend.
>>
>>27462457
Self taught programmers are in my experience better than people that did it just in university
HR/People that don't know shit and try to hire people might suggest that you need a degree but apply to stuff anyway
It will probably take a few years before you have enough knowledge tho
>>
>>27462557
Oh whilst learning programming try to do work for non profit organisations
If you are into cyber security that could be a great way to expand your resume
>>
>>27462585
But anon, I don't know literally anything. is it even possible?
>>
>>27462858
You will have to learn programming for at least 1-2 years before doing any jobs
There are a lot of resources out there for learning programming
Pick a language you like the first one will be the hardest after that it gets a lot easier
I hope you love math
>>
File: 1407810628897.png (457 KB, 509x576) Image search: [Google]
1407810628897.png
457 KB, 509x576
>unity

Fucking why? Are you one of those faggots that wants to make video games?

Anyway, what matters is showing you worked on projects. No one cares about your online courses.
>>
>>27462858
Internships are a good way to learn more about what you want to do. The traditional "random stuff I wrote at school/home" portfolio is sufficient for a lot of internships. Apply to some places or contact them asking about an internship.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.