[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys keep your self destructive tendencies in check?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Feelings.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
Feelings.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
How do you guys keep your self destructive tendencies in check?
>>
>>27457469
>How do you guys keep your self destructive tendencies in check?

I don't.

bl0x
>>
>>27457469
I have very little self destructive tendencies
>>
>>27457473
>>27457484
Does it affect you day to day?
>>
>>27457469
I assume you mean intentional ones
Stop thinking about yourself
When that happens, you're no longer aware of what you want to destroy in the first place

Get all immersed in something silly, but not something like specific video games because those can be too transient unless you're really into them

Either that or become someone who you no longer want to destroy

If you mean like, careless self-destruction in pursuit of pleasure, then imo it's important to remind yourself of what you'll really be losing if you destroy whatever it is you're destroying, and that the act itself might be satisfying but whatever you destroyed is never coming back. Ever. Gotta imagine what life would -really- be like without that thing, no idealizations.
>>
>>27457606
That was a far more in depth response than I was expecting. Thanks for that.
I fall mostly in the second camp, but avoidance is a hell of a drug.
I guess I need to think about some things...
Thanks again. I hope you have a great night, and a happy tomorrow.
>>
For the longest time, I thought I'd gotten them under control.

I finally got to the point that I didn't wake up and want to kill myself. Never thought that was possible, to have days where I didn't walk around thinking 'fuck my life, I fucking suck, why am I alive?' I made friends, immersed myself into enjoyable hobbies that turned out to be moderately profitable, started taking better care of myself, etc.

But now I catch myself making decisions that while, outwardly, appear arguable in either direction (i.e., seem like they could be good or bad), inwardly, I know that they're shit decisions that are going to set me up for an unhappy, difficult life. I just do mental gymnastics to justify them to myself and others.

Some of it's a result of my passive tendency to go with the flow and foolishly hope for the best:

>keep putting up with the shitty marriage, it'll get better!
>buy this piece of shit house you're already inhabiting that's falling apart, you can fix it!
>waste more money going back to school, you'll get something out of your degree eventually!

And some of it is just...borderline deliberate self sabotage:

>quit the job you hate even though it offers good medical benefits, you'll land on your feet!
>keep relying on the friend who never has her shit together to help you get a decent job, she won't let you down this time!
>turn down the money that family is offering to help pay off your student loans! you're not a mooch, you'll earn it yourself some day!
>bail your significant other out of jail for their DUI, they'll pay you back and learn a lesson this time!
>pay to take an important seminar, then drop out last minute because your alcoholic spouse needs medical attention! maybe they'll let you take it again in six months!
>>
>>27457669

>avoidance is a hell of a drug
>tfw you've spent most of your life in avoidance
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.