[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw horrible with comma placement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: j33vesu.jpg (19 KB, 217x320) Image search: [Google]
j33vesu.jpg
19 KB, 217x320
>tfw horrible with comma placement
>>
SHARE MY FEEL YOU DIRTY MOTHERFUCKERS
REEEEEEEEE
>>
Sorry anon, I don't have that issue. I'm told that my comma placement is exemplary.
>>
>>27455262
i, have the same issue, fampai.
>>
>>27455262
it literally doesn't matter where you place it as long as you place it with confidence.
>>
>>27455262
Same.

If it bothers you so much you should read a grammar book or grammar website.
>>
File: 1401074208288.jpg (21 KB, 285x391) Image search: [Google]
1401074208288.jpg
21 KB, 285x391
What, you don't know where to put a comma?

Are you a fucking idiot, OP?

You should get your shit together, and fast, or else!
>>
>>27455555
>was about to delete this post
>realize i received some gorgeous quints
That makes up for the comma problem
>>
Let's fuck up some commas!
>>
What do you mean?

Use:

They're used (along with words like and, but, and or) to connect independent clauses together. An independent clause is a complete thought (it can stand alone as a sentence).

Example:

>Tom went to the store, but he didn't buy anything.

Independent clauses are "Tom went to the store" and "he didn't buy anything." Both could be a sentence by themselves, and when you connect them using a conjunction (such as and, but, and or), you must put the comma after the first independent clause.

Use:

They're used when a dependent clause is put in front of an independent clause. A dependent clause is a group of words that form a thought but can't be a standalone sentence.

Example:

>Thinking of something, Tom went to the store.

"Thinking of something" isn't a complete thought. It couldn't be a sentence, but it is put in front of "Tom went to the store," an independent clause.

Use:

They're used to create lists:

Example:

>Tom went to the store and bought apples, pears, and oranges.

Self explanatory. Also notice that you don't put a comma before and here. That's because "bought apples, pears, and oranges" is a dependent clause and you only put commas when the dependent clause comes BEFORE the independent clause.

Use:

They're used parenthetically and to create emphasis.

Example:

>Tom went to the store, not knowing what he wanted to buy, and didn't buy anything.

Use:

They're (sometimes) used in front of adverbs when they start a sentence.

Example:

>However, I wouldn't say that is the case.
>Specifically, you would need to first eat the chicken.
>Fortunately, we don't have that problem anymore.
>>
>>27455829
HUNNID THOU TO A HUNNID THOU
>>
>>27455707
>together, and fast,

kill yourself
>>
ITS REAL NIGGA HOURS AND WE
GON FUCK UP SOME COMMAS
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.