[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else fell like they've been born in the wrong time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: rome.jpg (67 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
rome.jpg
67 KB, 620x388
Anyone else fell like they've been born in the wrong time? Like, I'm obsessed with history, especially ancient Rome and medieval Europe. I fantasize about leading men into battle, to siege great cities and loot its ancient treasures.To join expeditions to unexplored lands and discover new cultures, to scour the ancient libraries and decipher all its secrets.

My question is this: Why is there no adventure and excitement in our time? I refuse to believe that we've explored and discovered everything there is. Sure you have outer space and all its mysteries, but technology for that is hundreds of years down the line. Why is life so boring?
>>
because society is getting old and old people don't care about exploring new things, they hoard and wait for death
>>
Yeah, I think I was born about 900 years too early. I fantasize about just uploading my consciousness into the internet and creating simulations of everything that pleases me instantly with a thought.
>>
File: 6SCeP00.gif (2 MB, 328x212) Image search: [Google]
6SCeP00.gif
2 MB, 328x212
>tfw not born outside of conventional space and time itself
>tfw you can never just sit back and relax, something is always happening, and even though you don't care about it, it demands your attention anyway, like a chronological parasite
>>
File: history repeated.jpg (190 KB, 834x643) Image search: [Google]
history repeated.jpg
190 KB, 834x643
>actually believing ancient war was in any way enjoyable
>implying the ancients knew anything more than we know now
>thinking people at the time though any of that shit was as exciting fun

twat
>>
>>27451175

Not to sum what is a huge bag of issues regarding advancement into one point (especially because there's plenty of advancement all around us in the world - much of it is just in developing nations or on different scales, such as in robotics or med tech or investments, etc.) but risk-aversiveness is probably a big cause of a lot of cautious, "boring" behavior in the western world.

Think about an invasion - Iraq cost a shitton of $$ and however many soldiers up and died, and everyone threw a shitfit (poor justifications for the war aside.) You think the general public, critical to a western country that relies on the notion of democracy no matter how faded, would consent to something like invading Gaul in this day and age? When Iraq did what it did? Not to mention a colossal failure like that threatens politicians' jobs, so they won't repeat that mistake again. See Jeb Bush's failure.

Now imagine exploring space. There's no big bad enemy to rally around and nationalism isn't en vogue (Europe's issues aside.) The Challenger and Columbia are buzzwords. People aren't going to be cool with starting a new space program when they can't reap immediate rewards and can see more "interesting" things on their iPhone or on Buzzfeed, such as what the Kardashians ate this morning. Space programs also cost a shit ton, and politicians can better secure their jobs by blowing that money on welfare or on defense companies (feed the aerospace giants with one hand, declare yourself anti-war with the other - a winning strat.)

Consider corporate spending as well. Here there's plenty of innovation - the advancement of computing, increasing understanding of particle physics, the management of all sorts of diseases, even managing to increase retail efficiency to promote bottom lines. But those things feed profits - something like SpaceX isn't going to be the norm, because for most companies, that isn't very profitable. Continuously churning out iPhone #s is far more reliable.
>>
>>27451374

So I went full blown autism and wrote way too much. Tl;dr: Transparency and public power makes people risk averse.
>>
>>27451175

>He think he doesn't live in the glorious age of intenational travel.

First off, I would just like to say that most of you are dumb, and I'm better than you.

Let's get THAT outta the way.

secondly. You wouldn't have been on a expedition to a far away land, discovering a new culture. You'd be working a fucking a field or shovelling shit for the entirety of your miserable existence.

For people who complain that previous eras were more 'magical' : shut up.

YOU CAN LITERALLY GO ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD FOR A REASONABLE FEE, without years worth of travel, diseases, roving bandits, or starvation.

If you can't find adventure in that, a few extra gizmos and toys arent going to satisfy you.
>>
>>27451175
>I fantasize about leading men into battle, to siege great cities

Just join the military and be a cuck
>>
>>27451374
Yeah I agree, fuck democracy.
>>
File: Listenupfaggot.jpg (150 KB, 575x523) Image search: [Google]
Listenupfaggot.jpg
150 KB, 575x523
>>27451409

Rose-tinters BTFO
>>
File: 1367184024354.png (268 KB, 361x691) Image search: [Google]
1367184024354.png
268 KB, 361x691
You probably only have a superficial knowledge of ancient warfare if you actually want to experience it.

Take off the rose-tinted glasses and read more about the shit you're so "obsessed" with.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.