[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plato's "The Cave" is an allegory about how people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Bitch look at my hat.png (2 MB, 819x1000) Image search: [Google]
Bitch look at my hat.png
2 MB, 819x1000
Plato's "The Cave" is an allegory about how people imprisoned in a firelit cave for their entire life would see the shadows of objects projected on the wall as reality.

This is more true than Plato could have ever known. Everything we see and feel in reality is merely a simplification of an infinitely complex network of gauge fields and wavefunctions.

Makes me feel weird.
>>
>>27448088
>would see the shadows of objects projected on the wall as reality.
I don't get it. So shadows aren't real? Also they would surely see the objects that cast shadows themselves?
>>
But shadows exist in reality.
Or, their nonexistence exists in the same reality of the imprisoned.
>>
>reality isnt even real mannnn so just like forget about it
Philosophy went down the shitter with Playdough
t. Nietzche, Aristotle, and Rand
>>
>>27448265
>>27448537
>>27448592
The point isn't that the shadows aren't real, the point is that the shadows aren't the actual view of the thing. Plato compares it to seeing things as things but not really understanding the forms of those things, what they are and so on. It's comparing seeing shadows of what's really there vs seeing what casts the shadow to seeing what's really there but not understanding it.
>>
>>27448265
Sorry, didn't give the full analogy. The people are strapped down so they can only see a wall, with objects being passed in front of a fire behind them.

>>27448592
What about based Hume?
>>
File: Cave of the big guy.jpg (80 KB, 540x562) Image search: [Google]
Cave of the big guy.jpg
80 KB, 540x562
>>27448088

I have a present for you
>>
>>27448592
Aristotle, the originator of the scientific method, is based.
t. An Aristotlefag
>>
This can be applied to a lot of things.

shadows could be replaced with stock results, symptoms or dead body while the object is the complex broker interaction, disease or murder respectively.

Plato's example points out that the bound viewers don't know the world outside and have no knowledge it exists, unlike the examples I've given, the world outside the shadow puppet show is an unknown unknown as appose to a known unknown.

Basically you don't even know what you don't know is there, even if you see the shadows.
>>
It seems like that, at first. However, it is actually the shadows that cast the forms!
>>
Marcus Aurelius a best. Diogenes meme Filipino.
>>
a bunch of 20ish year old guys posting on 4chan have figured it all out!

Amazing...

better notice the white house and nobel prize committee asap
>>
but how did Plato know what the other people were experiencing?
>>
>>27449606
>Implying anyone said they'd figured out anything.
Reading is a useful skill.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.