[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so many people settle for mediocrity? I could think of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (6 KB, 479x148) Image search: [Google]
image.png
6 KB, 479x148
Why do so many people settle for mediocrity? I could think of nothing worse than being average, living on an average wage and having a normal life like everyone else.

I don't see how so many people can do it while only few excel. I'd rather be dead than as opposed to being unsuccessful.

When you have so much to offer the world, money to make and a lavish life to live; settling for the average 'standard' life of 1 home, a basic wage that doesn't fluctuate and living week to week seems so fucking bleak to me.

Do any of you actually want a life like that as opposed to making something of yourselves?
>>
Most people are mediocre and destined for mediocre lives.
I started reading particle phyics age 14, to avoid a mediocre life.
Ironically, I am now an incel because no women like particle physicists.
>>
its an awful thought that this may ever become my life
>>
>>27443938
So many people settle for mediocrity because statistically it's not possible for most people to be exceptional. The average would move along with the general populace, and mediocre would be redefined. However, if you're talking about why more people don't attempt to escape mediocrity, it's because their standards differ from yours, and being average is comfortable.
>>
I used to think like that...then I got a gf that actually loves me. It's weird, I am happy.but suddey all my ambition seems to have dissappeared. I'd tradr my dream job (fucking astronaut) to live comfortably with her for the rest of my life.
>>
>>27443978
This is what I mean, being destined for something like that is almost daunting for me, I'd rather be dead.

Most things I do I excel at, regardless what it is, to an extent anyway. I've always told myself I'd never settle for mediocrity and that I'll make a success of myself.

I find people that work minimum wage jobs pathetic. I could never do something like that, living each day wondering if you can afford to buy lunch today.

Truly degrading.

>>27443988

Yeah, it is an awful thought but it doesn't have to be like that. Don't let it become a reality.
>>
>>27443938
Because most people have to. Someone needs to shovel the shit. Not everyone can "excel". It's just not possible.
If everyone's only focus was to get everything, be the one at the top, then we would all be embroiled in constant warfare.
>>
>>27443938
Some people are just not ambitious. Some people find comfort in basic routines. A basic life seems comforting. Fewer expectations can have fewer disappointments. It is all subjective.
>>
>>27444069
I see, I just can't perceive how people can have standards other than mine in this sense. I mean, I can understand that their standards differ; I just fail to understand how people could be happy with being average, personally.

>>27444116
I see, I don't really have any interest in relationships so I don't think this would ever apply to me but all the same I suppose if that makes you happy that's cool.
>>
>>27443938
>Why do so many people settle for mediocrity?

You are laboring under a misapprehension OP. Most people *are* mediocre, it's not that they can't do shit, it's that they don't have the genes and opportunities in life to do them.

It seemed to me that you are imagining that we live in a world where there are millions upon millions of actual Einsteins who are just happy being mediocre, which hilariously wrong.
>>
My ego isn't as big as yours OP. That's why. You don't have a personality, you're defined by your egos desires and lack the self-awareness to see it, that's why you ask questions like this.
>>
>>27444217
I think you're misguided. Your goal shouldn't be "be better than other people" it should be "keep improving". You can do better than most people and still not actually be very good, you need to focus on self improvement and not destructive comparison as someone will always be better.
>>
Different criteria among individuals. Many people are satisfied with only superficial understandings of themselves and the world around them.

They'll just drift from one transitive sensation to another. These experiences are vacuum sealed. The previous experience hardly contributes at all to the context in which the next is experienced.

Of course even among more self aware people the parameters of meaning differ. Material success and excitment just don't do it for some people.
>>
>>27444362
There is no such thing as ego, dingus. This post just reeks of spiritual smugness.
>>
>he believed the 'doing something with your life' meme

seems you're just as basic as the rest of them
>>
>>27444284
Not so much that they are happy being mediocre, moreover that they settle for it regardless of genetics and background.

Too many people let past experiences rule their future. "WAAA I was raped" "waaaaa my parents died when I was young" I feel people let emotions take control too much which ultimately effects your potential.

Obviously some people simply lack potential and some people are simply not intelligent enough to make something proper of themselves.

Other people make decisions while lead to their own ruin; having children at a ridiculously young age with no proper means to support them etc

I also get that somebody has to shovel the shit and unclog the toilets but that person certainly isn't going to be me.

I show nothing but contempt for people who willingly settle for it. They might not be 'happy' doing it as you implied they aren't but they are STILL doing it.
>>
>>27444362
This is an odd statement, I know I have an ego but it's not unrealistic, also to stare I have no personality is absurd, my personality is abstract but apparent all the same.

>>27444401
If you're doing better than most people and "still not very good" you're clearly doing something wrong, assuming 'most people' are the vast majority.

I do focus on self improvent too of course, I agree with you on that as I know their is always room for improvent with basically everything one can do.

There's nothing wrong with being better than everyone else while you do it, all the same.
>>
>>27444521
>I show nothing but contempt for people who willingly settle for it.

I sense resentment in you. What I think is that you are one of these mediocre people yourself, just like me, but you can't handle it emotionally.

Maybe you should stop reading Nietzsche, and actually realize that most people simply are mediocre, and there's nothing to be done about it.
>>
I think like you OP, but ironically I'm doing worse than many of my so called "mediocre" normie friends.
>>
>>27444456
Believe what you want but you're the one asking the questions and in a place of not understanding, I'm just telling you how it is. Ego can just be another word for self-centeredness if that makes it easier for you to understand.
>>
>>27444521
>Too many people let past experiences rule their future. "WAAA I was raped" "waaaaa my parents died when I was young"
have you ever had a serious emotional event happen to you, or are you another sheltered middle class retard saying "lol jus b urself :)"
>>
>>27444638
I'm not the OP. Everybody is self-centered and you will never get to a place of no-self or selflessness or whatever.
>>
>>27444624
You mistake a lack of empathy for resentment, I'm not trying at all to be edgy, regardless as to whether it comes off like that or not. Simply being honest.

I don't have any interest in philosophy and I've never read Nietzsche.

I consider myself far from average, almost everything I've done in my life I've done well. Whether it be schooling to sports to competitive video games.

I might not have natural beginners talent but I have the dedication to commit and improve, quickly at that.
>>
>>27443938
why SHOULDN'T i settle for mediocrity? what the hell is being a non-mediocre person going to do for me, give me the fame and adoration of people that i'll never meet or care about? give me money i'd never spend anyway? nothing is going to help me when i'm dead, so why shouldn't i just enjoy life while i can?
>>
>>27444676
My father and brother both died in a crash when I was 7 years old.

If you consider that a 'serious emotional event'.
>>
>>27444714
>I consider myself far from average, almost everything I've done in my life I've done well.
oh, so you're one of THOSE smug faggots.
You're no einstein, and you never will be. You're not going to be one of the top, respected people in ANY field: the fact you're posting here is proof enough. You're going to die and be forgotten just like the rest of us.
>>
>>27444731
Because from my perspective I can't see how you could enjoy life without having money and moreover power.
>>
>>27444792
You are wrong, friend.
>>
>>27444849
Yeah, keep telling yourself that, buddy. It's only going to make the inevitable disappointment all the more painful.
>>
>>27444807
>Because from my perspective I can't see how you could enjoy life without having money and moreover power.
Because money and power have nothing to offer me I don't already have.
>>
>>27443938
I understand not wanting to be mediocre, but why would you want to offer anything to this world? You're a faggot.
>>
>>27444876
How is it inveitable? Things are already going great for me.

>>27444900
Besides money and power, of course.
>>
>>27444609
Different guy but started liftan a year ago now my lifts especially squat and dl are way beyond the average gym goer meanwhile 150kgx5 is still not good enough squat so I keep improving
>>
>>27444691
I'm pretty selfless anon. To get money and power you have to be selfish so there's that.
>>
>>27444116
This actually happens. Forreal, it's so weird..
>>
>>27444961
>How is it inveitable?
When you inevitably find yourself just another mediocre cog in the machine, you'll be pretty upset.
>Things are already going great for me.
I haven't heard of any new famous people appearing on the scene, so clearly they aren't going great for you at all.
>>
I do not want to be anything in life. Success, failure, who cares? None of it means anything. Happy, sad, having kids, leaving a legacy, it doesn't fucking matter. I just want to do whatever I want to do. I like working a simple job (bus boy) and in my spare time I write. My writing doesn't mean much to me but it is kind of good to create something. I will never have a spouse or anything like that, I will probably never own a home. Renting is better because I can leave whenever I want. I don't own a thing or know a single person I couldn't leave behind in 30 seconds flat. Why do you want to succeed?
>>
>>27444961
>Besides money and power, of course.
And what exactly do those give me? should i instinctively desire a house larger than i will ever need, more things than i will ever use, and money for trips i will never take? and what does power offer besides more responsibility?
>>
File: 13127.png (355 KB, 700x763) Image search: [Google]
13127.png
355 KB, 700x763
It's because all the millennials are growing up and realizing they really aren't that special so they must strive to become exceptional to justify their massive over inflated sense of self worth. It doesn't work out for most people.

This is why averages exist OP, you don't seem to grasp this. It's like wishing you had a bigger dick and expecting it to really happen.
>>
>>27443938
I'm guessing you must be indian or chinese.

No normal person would ever think like this.
>>
>>27445040
>you have to be famous and a media mogul to be successful

kek
>>
>When you have so much to offer the world
I have nothing to offer anyone.
>>
>>27445115
You said you wanted to be more than mediocre. There is nothing exceptional about being successful. Stop shifting the goalposts.
>>
>>27445067
Opportunity of course. Freedom too, the ability to be able to do almost anything you want to, if you had some incredibly spontaneous urge to go to Thailand you could do it and not be limited by the worries of when you have to be back for work or how long you could stay before the money runs dry. Even if you have no desire to travel this applies to numerous other things.

>>27445106
I'm Caucasian.

>>27445048
See above post
>>
>>27445148
I'm not OP, that was just a retarded comment.
>>
>>27443938
never wanted to be alive in the first place. don't give a shit about money, technology. any of that bullshit. religion barely registers and it really only works in super-charging my fetishes and degeneracy so fat lot of good all that did me. ever since day one i've been running out the clock.

i want to be a part of something new. something that will actually make the world around me a better place. i don't give a damn about acclaim outside of knowing that i'm heading in the right direction, as opposed to merely being full of myself.
>>
>>27445200
>I'm not OP, that was just a retarded comment.
OP is arguing against mediocrity. Talking about being successful has nothing to do with this thread, and you just butt in to be snarky without even reading. The only retarded one here is you.
>>
A few nice people to spend time with and a warm comfy room and I'm happy, personally.
>>
>>27445185
I'm the bottom guy. I get you, I really do, but you can have freedom, possibly even more, by not having "success" or whatever. I have traveled all over and seen the whole world pretty much for free. You just gotta find a way to get there and then you are free to do whatever you want. Mind you I get much of my money from less than "approved" activities, but I don't feel any guilt because a) It's fun and b) I don't care about other people.

Trust me bro, being a vagrant is sweet
>>
>>27443938
Some people are just useless/mediocre no matter what they strive for at the end of the day, I'm one of them

Also setting for average is the easier way out since you won't have to put any true effort in
>>
>>27445185
Engaging in spontaneity is meaningless at best and downright harmful at worst. If I REALLY wanted to go to Thailand or wherever else, planning and saving for the experience would make it far more meaningful.
>>
What if I told you I have been escaping from life as long as I was born, and never think of this world as the real one.
>>
Stability in mediocrity is better than my current life of complete failure so yeah I'd upgrade to that in a heartbeat if I wasn't so stuck in my ways.
>>
>>27443938
>he actually believed it when people said he could do anything

Life is a lie and we will all die disappointed. Especially the intelligent ones.

But uh, hold onto that hope you will be special for as long as possible. You might just pull something off.
>>
>>27445281
I think that's what's wrong with this generation. Throughout history people have accepted that there is NO equality and you are typically meant to stay where you are born. That's "fate," the luck of how you are born. Our society needs the lower classes because otherwise it wouldn't work. That's wrong and we should be trying to find a better way to live but that's a whole other can of worms.

The current generation of douchey millenials has been told that everyone is unique and special and equal and they can all do whatever they want. Because of that they have a hard time accepting that the world needs scum. They think bad people deserve to live shitty lives without realizing that it's just the luck of the draw. No one deserves anything, nothing is fair, and there can never be equality in our current way of life (not race, gender etc. equality but equality between humans. One person can be infinitely more valuable than another, objectively and subjectively depending on the situation
>>
>>27445274
I've seen a fair share of the world too but I don't like 'winging it'. I'd much rather be financially secure assuming I was travelling for various reasons.

Having no guilt and not caring about other people are good traits my friend. I don't mean that in an edgy " I hate everyone xddd" sense either. More of a don't get too attached to people because they're likely below you or they will eventually leave you / die anyway.

Most people just aren't worth your time and are only a means to an end. Use them for whatever benefits you but leave it at that.
>>
>>27445299

i wouldn't believe you faggot.
>>
>>27445393
you are a sad, pathetic human being
>>
>>27444714
Get a load of this faggot.

You can stop lying to yourself any time now, anon.
>>
>>27445535
I'm neither sad or pathetic.

Nice projecting all the same.

>>27445587
I don't lie.
>>
>>27445705
well then, what have you achieved?
i'm not the one putting myself on a pedestal on fucking r9k
someone with your thinking cannot be called anything else than pathetic
>>
>>27445705
>sports, school, gaming

Too bad you're not lying because those are mediocre areas to excel in.
>>
>>27445705
Go ahead and upload a picture of yourself. I almost guarantee your visage screams autism.
>>
File: coolice.jpg (82 KB, 597x820) Image search: [Google]
coolice.jpg
82 KB, 597x820
>>27445864
this is an original photo of myself accompanied by an original comment
>>
>>27445393
>Most people just aren't worth your time and are only a means to an end. Use them for whatever benefits you but leave it at that.
literally can't roll my eyes enough
>>
>>27444158
>I find people that work minimum wage jobs pathetic
Yet you wouldn't survive a day without them. They keep the infrastructure working, they keep you safe, warm, fed and hydrated.

You're just an idiot unable to understand that not everyone can become an astronaut.
>>
>>27444217

You sound autistic. Lack of empathy or being able to understand other people's viewpoints/seeing yourself in their shoes is a huge red flag
>>
wew , thread where robots actually think high of themselves
>taking a point of reference for mediocrity in materialism
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.