[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who /(meme/useless) degree/ here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 33
File: killme.jpg (67 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
killme.jpg
67 KB, 709x765
who /(meme/useless) degree/ here?
>>
university/college as a whole is a meme.

it's all about experience
>>
File: file.png (143 KB, 527x520) Image search: [Google]
file.png
143 KB, 527x520
>tfw game programming

OH LORD IT'S FULL OF AUTISTS

My parents forced me to pick something when I was a depressed NEET after one year of graduating highschool. I'm only one year in and now that I have some normie experience I realized the grave mistake I've made. What should I do?

I realized I enjoy pure programming more than making a game, I want to drop out and take CS at a uni t.bh. I'd rather be with bro tier Indians than these kids, and perusing something at such a volatile field such as the gaming industry was a stupid mistake by me.
>>
File: file.png (130 KB, 384x323) Image search: [Google]
file.png
130 KB, 384x323
>>27443684
WAKE ME UP lNSIDE (CAN'T WAKE UP)
>>
>>27443684
Now that I mentioned it, I only took it to live a pseudo-NEET life, take something fun and not worry about the end game. I didn't think about the future; the long run. I was stupid and now paying the ultimate price. I shoulda used my skills for something practical instead of something so niche. I fucked up.. and now I don't know what to do...
>>
>>27443477
English checking in

on suicide watch
>>
File: wojack40.png (461 KB, 1059x962) Image search: [Google]
wojack40.png
461 KB, 1059x962
>tfw general studies from a community college
>tfw dropped out of high school and had to get my GED before going
>>
>>27443684
I'd swap to cs. Even if you have a modicum of programming experience from the game dev thing it'll carry over. If your parents wanted you to do school, they'll understand your choice. I changed from basic science to engineering, best decision. Be warned though, first year of cs will also have autists, they get weeded out in the first year and go into game dev
>>
>>27443995

Yeats or Keats?
>>
>>27443684
I have worked in big game dev and the most capable programmers generally have CS/Mathematics backgrounds. So game programming degrees are a meme even in the games industry.

Make a change NOW 2bh
>>
A friend of mine has a fine arts degree, and she constantly complains about how much I make with an engineering degree and how it isn't fair. When will women learn that STEM are truly the only worthwhile degrees
>>
im graduating with a degree in music next year,

why am i alive
>>
>fell for the "do what you love" meme
>majored in history
They should really change it to "do what you love as long as it's also employable".
>>
>>27444051
>>27444002
That means I'll have to apply for next winter. Oh well, I'm only 19 so better finding out my mistakes now than never eh. Luckily one year was only ~4k in loans so I should be able to wagecuck that off. This anon is spot on >>27444144
>>
Should parents be held accountable for allowing their teenage children to pursue meme degrees?
>>
>>27444032
Keats
>>
>>27443477
>parents forced me into college
>degree in biology
>no jobs
>all that matters are connections and experience
>>
>>27444236
Fuck it, man. Winter is better than a few years of autism school and a meme degree
>>
>>27444246
it's not only the parents, its the entire school system that shoves this shit down kids throat

the meme degrees have reached epidemic levels at this point and it's only getting worse
>>
Any degree is better than none. If you clean toilets, you will one day become a manager of 10 toilet cleaners. All cause of your degree. Doesn't matter if it is philosophy. The other cleaners will keep cleaning toilets. Not the college educated cleaner. That is how it works in real life.

Not saying it isn't better to get a good degree.
>>
File: 1455666591032.jpg (54 KB, 530x800) Image search: [Google]
1455666591032.jpg
54 KB, 530x800
>>27443477
Communications checking in. Although I was considered to be a 911 dispatcher. I got pretty far in the hiring process too.
>>
>>27444332
kek

are you 18 years old? is this what your guidance counselor tells you?
>>
>>27444381

No, I am almost 30. That is what I've observed in real life.
>>
>>27444139
maybe you're the next Mozart, you're alive so you can entertain people on the street with your degree
>>
>>27444332
That's horseshit. How you conduct yourself socially in the workplace will have far more bearing on becoming a manager than schoolwork that's ancient history.
>>
>>27443477
I'm starting uni next september (yes i'm 18 i swear, anyways i've posted as an underage kid for years). I picked up medicine because i enjoy biology/chemistry, am a brilliant student and both my parents who are doctors pushed me into it as it is a good jobs that pays very well. The things i really love the most are latin and archaeology, but i know any degree in these fields is 100% useless, so i just gave up on that.

I don't know what i'm supposed to feel.
>>
File: george_costanza.jpg (9 KB, 191x178) Image search: [Google]
george_costanza.jpg
9 KB, 191x178
>Political Science

I-I wanna go back and study aeronautics, or marine engineering.

Future-proof industries with huge multinational job-making corporations.

I just wanna job.
>>
>tfw fell
for the stem meme
>>
>tfw electrical engineer in russia
>tfw average salary $500 / month
>>
>>27444552
wait, hold up

Russia has electricity?
>>
Computer engineering here, really dislike it, but I only have 1 year left so I have to finish. Only one girl in the entire class, and I think about 80% have some sort of autism, me included.
>>
>>27444567
In some places.
>>
File: 1454299525802.jpg (36 KB, 511x428) Image search: [Google]
1454299525802.jpg
36 KB, 511x428
>biochemical engineering
I don't know if I made a good decision, or a really bad one.
>>
File: whatdoisay.jpg (55 KB, 500x473) Image search: [Google]
whatdoisay.jpg
55 KB, 500x473
>>27443477
Geography here
>>
File: topkek.jpg (47 KB, 596x628) Image search: [Google]
topkek.jpg
47 KB, 596x628
>>27444641
>geography
what is there even to do with such a degree
>>
I'm glad I went to uni before every kunt took a laptop to lectures and fucked around on it the entire time. From what I've seen, contemporary lectures look like a very distracting and disrespectful environment.
>>
>>27444745
They can be. Smartphones are the real issue
>>
>>27443998
>general studies major
what is that?
>>
>>27444709
I'm asking myself the same, most people become accountants after, and I have an internship at Deloitte this summer in accountancy, but it seems so boring

Luckily I'm at a very good Uni so my options are opened a bit more, but I'm still scared and regretful
>>
File: brit.png (266 KB, 600x597) Image search: [Google]
brit.png
266 KB, 600x597
Guys I am completely fucked

I am currently doing a masters in international relations. I only did this to get an extra year of sitting on my arse all day.

The problem is that my mother has no idea how a masters works and seems to think it is a guarenteed job wherever I want. I emailed her a list of countries that I want to be the British diplomat for and she HONESTLY fucking believes and will be very let down if I don't

What do I do?
How do I tell her I will be stacking shelves instead of working as the diplomat to Lithuania?
>>
File: 1458585242146.jpg (65 KB, 600x412) Image search: [Google]
1458585242146.jpg
65 KB, 600x412
>tfw studying film
The course is full of plebs who keep telling me how 'awesome' Deadpool is
>>
>music technology

I might be ok?
>>
File: 1445840176770.jpg (78 KB, 327x367) Image search: [Google]
1445840176770.jpg
78 KB, 327x367
History memesterrace here. I like history and wanted to become a high school teacher because I thought I had something to offer, but I'm slowly realizing I dont. My dreams have shriveled up and died. Now I'm just coasting through college to get my worthless degree and then killing myself at graduation. Wew
>>
File: FB_IMG_1456338919235.jpg (20 KB, 460x258) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1456338919235.jpg
20 KB, 460x258
I'm studying Financial Services but I don't know shit about finance just the simple shit, I honestly don't care
>>
>>27443477
Not in college yet, but joined the military so I can get a degree in music later.
>inb4 retard
I already know how bad this plan is
>>
>>27443684
Get the fuck out of there, the gaming industry is a bubble that's already blown
>>
>>27443477
I remember a few years ago back when I was in high school I wanted to major in game programing or psychology until I heard that those degrees weren't that useful. Would you guys say that a CS degree from a community college is good?
>>
>computer science
>work at major tech company
>paid >$200k / year
>work 9-6ish each day
>never work weekends
>care a lot about my job
>met nice girl at work event, dating for almost a year now

REEEEEEE I JUST WANTED TO PLAY VIDYA AND WATCH ANIME. I HATE THIS
>>
Forensic computing and security

Future is bright r-right?
>>
>>27445757
So you're actually the protagonist from Sora no Woto.
>>
>>27445794
>Would you guys say that a CS degree from a community college is good?
How about not contributing to the white collar bubble that is killing most western countries? Go into the trades, where a degree is the base to start a business.
>>
>>27445489
in a year or two they'll start going on and on about fellini and tarkovsky
>>
>>27445594
Same. Wtf do you tell people when they ask what you're gonna do after graduating. Feel like a tard
>>
>>27446187
>Wtf do you tell people when they ask what you're gonna do after graduating
Since I'm a HVAC engineer, I tell them that I'll start a company by myself.
>>
>tfw parents always said "study something you like!"
>decide on anthropology
>graduate with a BA lost as fuck
>no jobs in anthro. I could get my masters, but that only slightly increases my chances of getting a decent job while I would get deeper in debt and waste more time

Now I'm working construction (waterproofing), and thinking of becoming an electician
>>
>>27445468
I want to do a masters in international relations after graduating, why do you think it's a meme? Sounds like a really interesting subject

Apply for Civil Service Fast Stream, the fact you didn't know about it shows you don't really have a clue though
>>
how many people here can honestly say college was a complete waste of time for them, personally?
>>
>in university for civil engineering
>don't like my classes or peers
>ok at math and science but it doesn't interest me at all
>in a perfect world I'd be a graphic designer
I just want a low-stress, well paying job that won't be outsourced so I can fund my hobbies and live comfortably.
>>
File: 1431683367107.gif (890 KB, 305x320) Image search: [Google]
1431683367107.gif
890 KB, 305x320
>>27445594
>>27444144

>tfw my history degree couldn't even get me an interview for an entry level position at a museum

Everyone is telling me to go to grad school when I talk about how I have applied for hundreds of jobs since graduating in December without any luck. I can't see how anyone thinks that is a good idea. I'm not falling for the "Just go to school and you will get a good job" meme twice.
>>
>>27446762
They're telling you to go to grad school on the condition that it's funded. At least you would have an income then. You'd probably be TAing.

As much as people bitch about how little adjuncts makes, it's better than unemployment.
>>
File: 1290106852852.jpg (34 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1290106852852.jpg
34 KB, 320x240
I'm one of the few who's been on both sides of the fence.

Got my bachelors in mechanical engineering and my masters in film studies. I was miserable in undergrad and wasn't great at the material. I was brilliant in the humanities and had a great time. But of course, one was highly employable and the other is basically useless unless you want to become a professor of film studies.

It truly is about finding a balance. I hated my first choice field of study so much that I swung entirely for the opposite side of the fence (i.e. was doing what I hated, so I figured for the next go round I'd do what I loved). It's tough, because after so long of telling myself "I am not a scientist," I've really come to embrace my arts/humanities side as a part of my identity, but it's not a path to the lifestyle I want. It is what I am, through and through, but I can't support a wife and kids with it. Just have to figure out what is a tolerable amount of sacrifice that is also financially lucrative.
>>
>>27445896
Greenwich m8?
>>
>>27446717
I work as a graphic designer at an educational publishing company and shit gets really stressful desu
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (82 KB, 1366x1156) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
82 KB, 1366x1156
>>27443998

>English Literature but not American so I don't have to pay off the debt right away and can just do it in barely noticeable installments once I get a job that pays well enough for it not to even matter.

I'm just having a good time.
>>
>>27446605
nope, but could have been a lot better. probably got about 40% of the upside that could have been extracted from it
>>
Doing a Bach in Mech engineering here famalam. Previous posters are right, stem is fucking meme and I fell for it
>>
>>27446862
Why exactly is STEM a meme?

Just because the job market is getting oversaturated or what? Surely it's better than some arts degree
>>
File: 1457112361117.png (303 KB, 368x657) Image search: [Google]
1457112361117.png
303 KB, 368x657
>>27444477
>>Political Science

Senpai, I want to switch to Political Science. Should I do it or switch to sociology?
>>
>>27446914
Yes we have more useful knowledge than the art fags. But as you said, the market is saturated, few jobs and the pay is not that good
>>
>>27446914

It's full of people who don't really give a shit about any of the subjects and only signed on because 'MUH SIX FIGURES" which is steadily creating the same problems that have rendered English degrees largely useless in that it's full of people who

>don't give a shit about their subjects
>think they're instantly going to step into a very high-paying job because the internet said so
>have no idea how to get said jobs and lack the social skills/connections to secure them
>quickly become dissatisfied with their jobs because, again, they only took them for money
>>
>>27446966
>>27446972
Hmm, seems like that's more of a problem in the US than here in the UK though

In the UK, you need to go to a G5 uni for investment banking and top firm jobs, and the people doing STEM subjects there go to a networking event every other night. It seems like fake interest but they're certainly all very determined

Our government is shilling apprenticeships atm too
>>
>>27446854
I know, I work in a cafe and several of my coworkers are contracted graphic designers/ illustrators and they're all in terrible shape. I love design and I love art, but I know it's not a field worth pursuing even if I love the subject. I might as well work in a field I don't have an interest in than work in a field I like but have to deal with more bullshit
>>
>>27446914
My experience was that 95% of the people in my engineering classes were just generally smart people who were forcing themselves to fit the engineering mold for the job security. They could have found success in any number of fields with their intellect. Most of them didn't enjoy it, and ended up working a few years in the industry, hating it, and usually either going on to get an MBA or some other professional degree so that they could escape the engineering world entirely.

There are very few people (READ: autists) who legitimately want to live & breath math all fucking day long, which is all engineering fucking is.
>>
Almost all degrees are worthless without connects and networking. The only exception is engineering because everyone an hero'd/switched majors before they graduate so job availability is high.
>>
>>27447067
Fair enough, I think I'm double fucked though because I took a meme degree and I don't even enjoy the subject

I get to go on a year abroad in September though luckily, should be a lot of fun
>>
>>27444569
What do you dislike about it?
>>
History.
Going to try to do a masters and then a phd but to be honest I'm not that passionate about it.
>>
File: 1409389388923.jpg (188 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1409389388923.jpg
188 KB, 1280x720
>>27445794
In general you don't get the community college degree and then cease your education. The main purpose of an associate's degree in CS is to transfer to a university to get your bachelor's. I did that and it is a fine route to take. Cut the cost of college by about half.

Study the transfer agreements beforehand, know exactly which credits will transfer and where you will be towards your requirements. I really can't stress that enough. You need to own your education, don't rely on advisors to make decisions for you, don't rely on your classes to teach you everything.

Way too many people rely on others to make these decisions. The reality is everyone who is supposed to help you is busy with their own life, and even if they have the best intentions, they are bound to make the occasional mistake. Academic advisors are usually responsible for helping hundreds of students.

>>27444236
Starting over at 19 is no big deal, don't worry about it at all. Odds are whenever you start working your first job you will still be "the young guy," and no one really gives a damn whether you're 22 or 25.
>>
Psychology.

I'm going to get my Masters within the next year or so.

Just wasting time. I have no idea what the fuck I am doing with my life.
>>
>>27447110
Don't trick the poor robots with the "engineering's got many jobs" meme. Here in Cuckland (Sweden) at least it doesn't
>>
Who here fell for the STEM meme?

Remember guys, when you learned how 'amazing' the STEM shit is, so did everyone else. That delicious over saturated market now.
>>
>>27447564
I did :/Plz kill me anon
>>
>community college
>failing intro to accounting as well as math for retards (stuff the average person learned in middle school)
I'm dropping out after this semester. I'm too unintelligent for college.
>>
biochemistry, but I'm hoping to get into med school. I hate it though but still pulling As in all of my classes

If I don't get in, then it's bye bye cruel world
>>
File: ENOUGH.jpg (6 KB, 200x194) Image search: [Google]
ENOUGH.jpg
6 KB, 200x194
>>27443684
Kek my roommate is one of those kids. He's a fat weeaboo who's also taking Japanese.

He recently dropped out of CS once he saw me actually having to work on projects for hours a day that wasn't making le meme games.

Now he switched to Japanese full time. There's still a lot of those "wanna maek vido james" kids in the CS department and they're all cringy and autistic as fuck. Honestly the worst thing about CS is the people.
>>
>>27443477
>get teaching degree
>realize that modern kids are disrespectful niglets that can't be controlled no matter what
>realize that making lesson plans is hard as fuck, and if you don't meet strict deadlines your ass gets blamed for the kids being dumbasses

Fuck kids.
>>
File: 1457824741434.jpg (33 KB, 457x457) Image search: [Google]
1457824741434.jpg
33 KB, 457x457
>>27447987
Edu major here
Lesson plans aren't fun but it's all you have to do as opposed to the daily grind. High school was easy and teaching high school will be easy.
>>
Psychology. Gonna get my masters this year, currently an intern at a mental hospital. I have no idea what I'm doing with my life. Just kind of going with the flow.
>>
>>27447933
It's really bad in here... instantly knew this via the slack channel. League of legends, shrek/doge meme spam, raw unfiltered garbage. Good god man, worst decision of my life 2bh.I can even tell through the professor's expressions that nobody is gonna make it
>>
>>27443477
History major here, since I can't be bothered teaching my degree is 100% useless, looks like my only option in academia is post grad law.

If I can't get into that I'm just going to say fuck it and become a police officer.
>>
File: 1454214513630.jpg (18 KB, 638x350) Image search: [Google]
1454214513630.jpg
18 KB, 638x350
Bio Major/Chem minor with hopes of getting into med school.

Should I take analytical chem or biochem to fulfill the reqs for a minor?
>>
>>27447849
Remember, it's not about what you know, but who you know.

I was gonna go for it, I dodged a bullet thanks to a friend who said "Everyone in the class is going for the same thing as you, that's a ton of competitors, go for something else."

So I went for something equally as useless. Dodged a bullet, fell into a pit of spikes.
>>
File: Tavik_Scribble_Ziggy_Top.webm (2 MB, 404x720) Image search: [Google]
Tavik_Scribble_Ziggy_Top.webm
2 MB, 404x720
>>27445794
a CS major at a community college is a great way to do half of a 4 year CS degree for cheap at the risk of missing out on "college experience" with your fellow freshmen. if you don't care about making friends and partying, community college is the way to go
>>
File: 1458381435082.jpg (16 KB, 357x379) Image search: [Google]
1458381435082.jpg
16 KB, 357x379
>>27448471
We can start the beta uprising together anon
>>
>>27444329
>>27444246
Nobody should be held accountable for it. It's a business. If the kid wants to learn something memey, and he pays to money for it, so be it. It was his choice and as long as he paid for it the university nor the government nor the society should do anything about it.
Whether he would be able to get a job is his business
>>
I'm in my final year for a degree for criminal justice.

I have no idea what to do with it.
>>
>>27450290
Find a law that saves the next robot that does an hero from punishment
>>
>>27444264
lab technician?
>>
>>27450290
You can only become a cop
>>
>>27443477
Working towards a BA in Special Education.

Then I want to get my MA in SLP.

Then sit down for the exam after getting my hours and classwork to become a BCBA.
>>
>>27444552
lmao
tfw i make the same amount with my comfoy job that only requires English

journalism major checking in here
>>
>tfw didn't fall for stem meme
>tfw did journalism
>tfw plenty of freelancing work out there for me because stem autists can't write for shit and neither can panjeet or xei
>degree was overall pretty easy
>tfw stemcucks and foreigners on suicide watch
>>
>>27444139
What instrument do you play, fema?
>>
>>27444139
There is nothing more memey than music.

Why didn't you just sit at home practicing?
>>
>>27445468
Holy shit what a meme degree.
Tell your mom she's stupid and a degree in 2016 does not mean a job. If she thinks it does, then kill her because she's stupid.
>>
>>27445594
>tfw he studied history
>tfw he could of learnt the entire course on the cheap by reading wikipedia/downloading text books

HISTORY KEKS ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>27450570
not that anon but I'm sort of a musician and play live and stuff

I know a couple people that have some type of music degree and basically all of them work minimum wage shit jobs. only one person I know with a music degree actually makes money because he's a high school music teacher.
>>
>>27450547
>tfw journalists are always the first to be murdered and sent to the camps
Cyklon A, Cyklon B, glorious Aryan laughing is the last things you will see
>>
in my country you are looked down if you don't study law medicine or CS

that's kinda funny since all of those jobs are mostly minimum wage
>>
>>27450758
>tfw i realized how hard journalists have to shill
>tfw became a copywriter instead and now i work in advertising

i too hate the media whores and will kill them all.
>>
>>27450794
Found the Polandball guy
>>
>>27450717
music is fun n shiet
but it's better to just cuck it and do stem instead of meme music cus music is hard especially the advanced theory
>>
>>27446586
Not OP or who you replied to but it reminded me of something. My RE teacher in year 9 was the only person who even mentioned going into Civil Service Fast Stream. Why the fuck does no one talk about it? Its as if its some sort of secret organisation.
>>
>>27450824
these jobs used to be highly prestigious, but there is a tremendous amount of lawyers doctors and programmer everywhere, you could hire 200 programmers today if you started a company
>>
>>27444458
don't think about it career wise, think about what do you want to do. I just graduated in architecture but when I was in highschool I really liked history, art and archaeology.
I was able to find what I love about all those things in my work: design, culture, etc.
>>
>>27450290
get a jd
do it
do law school
>>
>>27444337
my sister is in communications too, how is the job market really like?
>>
>>27447933
even if u make games u still need original art which cost fair amount of money
and college kids won't spend a dime on digital art because they are in debt/struggling
if they were smart they would do it all from home and still have money to pay for it
>>
>>27450944
I'm thinking about doing this too, pretty much the only option for us losers with meme degrees that are unemployable.
>>
>>27450822
>implying advertising is not owned by the kikes
There is no escape for you Mr journalist
>>
>>27450929
Hippie spotted
>>
>>27451046
Yeah but people will never see me on TV lying about how it's all fine.

You'll just read my excellent ad for your new business. I help the economy. I'm a good person.

KINDA
>>
>fell for the CS meme
>75k debt
>minimum wage
>>
Petroleum Engineer here.

Fresh graduates have meme degrees right now.

Soon mine too will be a meme degree despite my experience.
>>
>>27446219
keep going in construction, make connections.
Your degree won't be worthless when you have to lead your own company, I've seen people who is way worse.
>>
File: 1456539964447.png (51 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1456539964447.png
51 KB, 657x527
>fell for the engineering meme

CS
>>
>>27446717
engineering can be low-stress
you have to restrict the time you work tho, you have to find balance.
>>
Got a few degrees.
Got a BA in archaeology out of highschool that I finished when I was 20. Worked as an archaeologist in Turkey for a while. Wasn't too keen on it due to political situations in the areas that I focus on.
Did a BS in nursing. Liked it.
Did a MS in nursing. Liked it.
Still lost in my life a feel like I'm wandering through it despite liking what I do.
>>
>>27451101
I'm half way though, how do I escape without losing everything and starting anew?
>>
>tfw australian
>tfw do degree
>tfw only costs 20k
>tfw never have to pay it back unless I earn over 52k a year
>tfw interest free loan only indexed to inflation
>tfw no pressure to ever pay it back
>tfw if i ever get a 52k a year job it will be paid through my taxes, similiar to ibr in usa
>tfw did i mention interest free
>>
Halfway through my Open Uni Hons Degree in IT & Maths. Oh boy, did i pick the wrong field.

>tfw looking at IT jobs online
>even basic shitty admin jobs have like 100 applicants
>i'm 25 and have worked maybe 2 years

i wish i enjoyed programming as theres good money there, but i hate it. I'm trying to specialise in IT support but every other cunt seems toi be doing that so its hard as fuck to get even a basic entry level IT support job,
>>
>>27451215
programming is done lad, indians have taken over it and basically there are about 5000 applicants for every open position
>>
>>27451186
You can't. If you're in CS right now. You're fucked. Unless you switch to something that's not a meme. Pajeet is about to take over everything CS.
>>
>>27451071
if you say so, I make good money so I don't really care. If i had gone with archaeology I would be starving.
>>
>>27451316
I wish I fucking knew man, I wish I fucking knew :(
It seems like there isn't a single degree now that isn't a complete meme, nobody guarantees you will have a job and you're most likely work for minimum wage and pay debts for the rest of your fucking life
>>
>>27450547
>tfw already fallen for stem meme
>tfw only just realising I'm making life marginally harder than it needs to be
>tfw there's no way out at this point
>any other stemcucks want to anhero with me?
>>
1) All the campuses I know offer free tutoring. Usually open labs for math, sign-up for english or some other subjects. At my CC, it was a math lab, but because we had engineers/physicists tutoring, we covered those too (I was one of them). Supervisor didn't give two shits. I learned basic statistics from a teacher who worked there, got over 100 on every test when I had to take the class. At the uni, we only tutor some maths at our lab, but it's nice. There are other places which offer tutoring on lots of subjects.

2) If you go to CC and get a general Engineering degree, it puts you head and shoulders above other normies if you want to do something in a factory. My AS was free too, despite it taking me a lot of time. I applied to a few places, and within a few months one called me and asked if I was interested in a 1+ year position, full time, free training as a machine operator for a milling company.

>>27447067
>live and breath math all day long
Everyone laugh at the normie that couldn't get to calculus.

Electrical Engineering master race coming through. It's really the easiest engineering I've seen, the other engineers are studying textbooks all the time, doing Matlab literally every day, etc, etc. Electrical is precise, but really, it's nowhere near the difficulty of the other ones.

Currently I'm using squares and square roots as the most complicated math. Outside of the damn matrix shit for power systems.
>>
>>27451358
All I can say is the western world is about to reap what it sows. This college degree bubble is on the verge of collapsing and nearly all work will be replaced/outsourced to pooinlooland.
>>
>>27444552
Come to the States and make 10x that
>>
>>27444641
>>27444709
I have a uncle with a geography degree, he's a dean of school
>>
>met Aspie literally studying Japanese culture
>he had no scholarships somehow, not one
>will be $120k in debt for a BS
>plans to go to Japan or some shit

>>27451215
Join the military, Army or Air Force. Yes they cuck you on training, but a lot of classified military stuff is only available for citizens. They usually offered some good deals on paying student loan stuff, but you better make sure you get records of anything you sign. My sister almost got cucked out of like $9k because they "misplaced" the last page of her contract.

My brother works through VAs and some other stuff, and was always working. Normies are not good with computers, AT ALL, so the military gets fucked all the time by retards. A few times he had people like 8 ranks above him trying to shit down his neck, because they wanted fucking admin passwords and shit for classified data, stuff people would literally be hunted and killed for in the middle east. Including by the government if they found you released secrets to the wrong people.
>>
>>27451522

i've already worked for the MOD, i worked as a contractor there from serco. I hated 95% of the military staff there desu, full of cunty generals and majors who try to fuck you over nad shout at you over nothign or the stupidest shit.
>>
>people ITT complain about falling for the stem meme
>people ITT complain for not going for a stem degree
Serious question, where are the jobs?
>>
>>27451522
this.
army is not just fighting sandniggers, you have tons of small jobs you can do as support soldier
and its the U.S army so its like the best army to vet in
>>
>>27451644
India. Pajeet is getting them. H1B visas. Unless you have something that can't be outsourced or shipped in, you're fucked. Even then you'll be making minimum wage.
>>
>>27451644
There are jobs everywhere if you're good enough and know how to get it (connections and good impressions).
The high paying ones are STEM and there's a lot of demand for them still but if you're autistic who is unable to market himself through words in interviews OR you don't have a good portfolio that will cover for you inability to talk well, you won't be able to get it.

A lot of things have changed in life but in the end how you represent yourself is still the most important thing in order to succeed.
You can be a top engineer with GPA of 4.0 and still be a cuck who works 13 hours a day 7 times a week while your boss Chad just met the right people and used his charm to earn more than you with his community college diploma
>>
>>27451644
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-1B_visa
>STEM
The H-1B and various other temporary foreign worker programs (L-1, TN, O-1 and OPT) are not without controversy.[4] For fiscal year 2012, initial H-1B employment authorizations for Computer-related occupations totaled 83,444, equaling 98.2% of the H-1B statutory cap
And H1B visas are only going to increase.
>>
>>27451644
Depends on what you're doing. Most Engineers can work in some factory or maintenance field. A lot of EE go into maintenance, I live near Niagara Falls. Civil can go into city planning/management or branch into Geological/Environmental branches. Chemical and Biological are meme, but they could get you into medical technology. Mechanical and Aerospace can do a lot of big industry machines, but they're still relative static machines. Mechatronics is a newer field, supposed to be a "21st century tradesman" type deal. Some theory, but focusing a lot more on technical application than theoretical development.

EE and Computer can make shit. I love circuits and would like to do them, they don't let me Major in EE and minor in CE because they're too similar or something. I could go for CS because programming.

The Science majors are meme majors. You need MS or Dr for science. Technology is Habib and Chang. Math can go into marketing or some other data analysis/management. You want like an MS or higher for that though, specializing in some field.
>>
File: ok to cry.jpg (83 KB, 582x582) Image search: [Google]
ok to cry.jpg
83 KB, 582x582
>tfw history degree
>about to end my overseas teaching contract and go back to America because my parents basically said i'm spinning my wheels in the dirt doing dick and have to get a """""""real""""""" job now
>tfw i'm going to end up unemployed/night stocker at wal-mart for sure
>>
>>27443684
1 year in? Aren't most degrees 4 years? Can't you switch now?

More reason to switch: game programmers are treated like shit and given crunch time until they break. There's a constant stream of bright eyed college grads ready to fill in the gaps. The gaming industry abuses its workers in ways that don't happen in general CS.

This is all from what I've read. I'm not in either industry.
>>
English BA

I am a poet. It's not that bad.
>>
CHOOSE A JOB YOU LIKE FIRST.

THEN CHOOSE THE MAJOR THAT MOST CLOSELY CORRESPONDS TO THAT JOB.

How is this hard?

>i'm guilty of a bad major too, but I'm just asking
>>
>>27452344

Do your parents still pay your bills or something? Can't you tell them to stuff it?
>>
>>27452562
Nah, I pay my own, but it's just filial piety I guess. Neither of them were drunks or anything, I feel like I owe it to them to keep listening to them and showing them some respect.
>>
>>27444139
As long as you're not Ed, you're fine honestly.
Music business, performance, and even just studies are pretty fair with job opportunities as far as a degree goes. As long as you can network and meet people while you're there, you'll be golden.
>>
File: 5nZ2N2s.jpg (218 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
5nZ2N2s.jpg
218 KB, 720x1280
>>27444443
Ah, one off from greatness
>>
>>27446941

Am >>27444477

FFS don't switch sociology. Shittiest major possible other than gender studies or communications.

At least PoliSci can teach you how to write/research/cite ok if you give half a shit about it. Pretty on par with a History degree imho; useless for job sector other than academia.
>>
>>27443684
fucking this

i didnt go to uni for that shit, but i spend my early years devving. got some attention, but the industry is just too risky imo. now i have no clue where to turn. hell, i dont even like working with computers/programming any more. im so screwed.
>>
File: hahayeahzoinksman.jpg (27 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
hahayeahzoinksman.jpg
27 KB, 500x359
>>27452534
Sick. How's that work?
Do you write and just get published, or are you a bard-for-hire?
>>
Have my 4-year degree in film scoring... And I work as a mechanic.
>>
File: 6iGaxC2.jpg (199 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
6iGaxC2.jpg
199 KB, 960x1440
Regardless of your degree, you're fucked if you can't introduce yourself to new people and hold up conversations with strangers.

I'm fucked!
>>
>>27444458
You'll be living in a nice ass house that you'll be able to study latin and archaeology in on your own time if you stick with medicine.
>>
>>27452596

Doesn't mean they're immune to bad ideas or not having a full picture of your life.
>>
>>27444139
I know a guy with a music degree who plays french horn in orchestras. Lives on his own is married in his 20s and everything.
>>
I dropped out of community college 1 credit away from a useless associates

thinking about becoming a plumber
>>
File: 1455964216810.png (349 KB, 450x549) Image search: [Google]
1455964216810.png
349 KB, 450x549
>only talent is drawing
>drawing from an early age
>all authority figures in life encourage me to pursue art
>forced into college by parents right out of high school
>major in art because I have no other talents or interests in other fields

currently on last semester and any interest I had in art is completely dead. Haven't drawn anything outside of the classroom in a year and constantly looked down upon by my peers because I don't get art. I still don't. I don't think I ever will.
>>
File: 1455240490778.jpg (46 KB, 960x678) Image search: [Google]
1455240490778.jpg
46 KB, 960x678
>in pure science
>realize i have to be a normie to get anywhere

Why couldn't I have been accepted into engineering
>>
File: 1458846252622.jpg (49 KB, 460x634) Image search: [Google]
1458846252622.jpg
49 KB, 460x634
>>27450186
lets beta uprise lets set a date and we will lead multiple strikes across the country together.
lets do it when
>>
>tfw History major
>can't find any relevant internships
>hate all of my professors
>don't want to teach
>don't want to go to into further debt for grad school
>have come to terms with the fact that I will never have a decent job

All I want to do is live a comfy NEET life, fuck adult life
>>
File: 1420512970493.jpg (8 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
1420512970493.jpg
8 KB, 205x246
>tfw graduated with a Liberal Arts A.A degree
>Did great in community college, no problems
>Go to 4-year
>school administration so bad I almost pulled my hair out
>Grades drop so fast I almost lost my mind
>Switched majors 3 times
>went to three different schools
>On academic probation so I can't even go back to community college

JUST
>>
did philosophy BA kill me now pls
now doing a JD though [in Canada] so maybe all hope is not lost
>>
File: 1452478551821.jpg (36 KB, 644x616) Image search: [Google]
1452478551821.jpg
36 KB, 644x616
>>27443684
>>my parents forced me to pick something when I was a depressed NEET after one year of graduating highschool. I'm only one year in and now that I have some normie experience I realized the grave mistake I've made. What should I do?

you really cant do anything now that you've already done a year, may aswell finish it and join in on the nu-male indie mild neckbeard crew.

>>27450506
lmao who is "poleclimb"

heres your (you) newfag
>he unironically made his first post this week
>he thinks he'll be relevant ever
why do you even bother posting here retard?
>>
>>27450509
journalism represent
elite salary bracket here in the UK and nobody takes it 'cos journos are bad' maymay

Loads of jobs in media, obv with some networking involved, but pretty easy to get experience
Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.