[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nihilism vs Society
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 14
File: 1429216941134.jpg (375 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1429216941134.jpg
375 KB, 900x900
> tfw flip between "nothing matters" and "i need to sort my life out"

theres no reconciling these viewpoints
>>
>>27442945
There is no reconciling any viewpoint with nihilism
>>
just accept that everything is pointless, that you want selfish things, and work towards those things

dont think about it just commit to something and do it
>>
>>27443090
> accept that everything is pointless
> work towards those things
i dunno how u can work toward stuff you know is pointless..
>>
>>27443128
Thinking that everything is pointless is nihilism. Thinking that everything is boring is depression.

Things are pleasurable. They don't matter in the grand scheme ofc but that shouldn't prevent you from seeking them out.
>>
>>27443128
Its not like you can die, unless you can, in which case why havent you?
>>
>>27443182
but the effort/reward ratio for things is really skewed toward effort.. and it seems you can only push through that if you believe what you're doing is meaningful
>>
>>27442945
more like you switch between being in denial and not being in denial.

Paint anything in broad enough brushstrokes and it can seem inconsequential, sure, but you're denying a whole subset of variables and selling yourself short on possibilities of a concrete better life over some abstract and oftentimes obtuse postulations.
>>
>>27443266
Do low effort things. I play video games. Since I'm not going to kill myself I'm working towards a life with minimal time spent working and maximum time soent playing video games.
>>
>>27442945

You need Nietzsche in your life, oh and a goal to stop being a decadent piece of shit.
>>
>tfw in the "nothing really matters" zone
It's comfy. I drink everyday.
>>
>>27443266
This is just your nihilistic/ depressed mind talking. If you begin to work towards a goal, over time, that sense of pointlessness will go away. Let me ask, did you just jump into hardcore nihilism? Or was it a process of believing and then believing more? You need to set a goal and start moving in the opposite direction and accept that it will suck to do but gradually less so over time.
>>
File: 1458954663169.jpg (24 KB, 381x396) Image search: [Google]
1458954663169.jpg
24 KB, 381x396
>>27443419
whoops i meant in the opposite direction of nihilism sorry
>>
File: 1434088344976.jpg (53 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1434088344976.jpg
53 KB, 500x667
>>27443419
gradually, but i'm also depressed whatever that even means
>>
>>27443500
then its more complicated and I dont know enough but come on have the resolve to do something if only out of spite
>>
File: 1429917825383.jpg (89 KB, 634x580) Image search: [Google]
1429917825383.jpg
89 KB, 634x580
>>27442945
Why? I get those thoughts but, are you gonna kill yourself?

If nothing matters, kill yourself. If you're not going to do it, you're going to keep on living; it will be suffering, but you chose to keep on living, whether it be to not cause sadness for your family or whatever.

Sort you life out so that you can be comfortable, at least. Nothing might matter but make it your goal to achieve something. Why? Why not?

For me, it's pride. Nothing matters, but if all these other people can go through life, why can't I? I'm better than them -- I have to be!
>>
>>27443563
> Nothing matters, but if all these other people can go through life, why can't I? I'm better than them -- I have to be!
this is pretty delusional though.. you're saying people have value and that value is how successful they are according to societies values. life is also completely random and unfair so i dunno how you can gauge value like that..
>>
File: 1438834934274.png (14 KB, 553x502) Image search: [Google]
1438834934274.png
14 KB, 553x502
After all everything in life is just a way to pass the time. There's no need to take it seriously, just do whatever you want. Some people like to have everything nice and neatly sorted, as for me I don't mind the mess. Try to understand and accept that you are just a dumb animal living a dumb animal life like all the rest. Sometimes you have to try at things if you want to keep living, but most of the time you can just take it easy you know?
>>
bump for ideas/opinions/discussion
>>
>>27443321
what if the goal is a "bad" thing
>>
>>27443605
>this is pretty delusional though
I know, I have to literally trick and force myself into trying at life. I didn't choose to come here but somehow I don't want to sully the name that brought me here. It's this or be miserable.

>life is also completely random and unfair so i dunno how you can gauge value like that

True, however, your miserable-ness at the unfair is REAL/ has real implications on your life.

We're born into this society, a lot of our thought process framework comes from society and what we've been nurtured to accept/feel/think.

It's really "normie" of me to gauge value like that but money, big house, good family, etc., are the things I'm expected to want. What other criteria can I use to judge value? I've been an outcast for too long, thinking differently from others. I'm so very tired of the loneliness, I need to conform ;_;
>>
>>27442945
What are you talking about? Nothing matters trumps I need to sort my life out

I need to sort my life out is a non-phrase
It's propaganda
A mindworm
There is nothing to sort out, you fucking retard
There is only what others want from you
You are sorted when you capitulate fully
Otherwise, there will always be something to "sort out" until you realize what's really going on
>>
File: 1440823711358.jpg (245 KB, 700x550) Image search: [Google]
1440823711358.jpg
245 KB, 700x550
>>27444270
iktfb

im wondering if i really have a choice, or if i just have to conform to society if i ever want to be happy.. as happiness seems like the only important thing.. but i just dont think i can flipflop on my identity, that life would be so much work and not as satisfying to me now.. i dunno, like you i have to come up with something else ill rot here being miserable wasting any potential i have

i feel like joining normie life at this point would be "giving up" and a complete waste of all the thinking/introspection/rejecting norms iv done already. i guess you need a lot of courage to strike out on a life that isn't "normal" and stick by it on your own, guided only by your own gut.
>>
File: 12355234235.jpg (12 KB, 247x400) Image search: [Google]
12355234235.jpg
12 KB, 247x400
Everyone who is self-declared depressed is super creative. Everyone who is self-declared nihilistic is super smart. All the words in this thread are interesting.
>>
>>27443309
This is my life too.
>>
>>27444415
I'm psychiatrist declared depressed.. so i'm a piece of shit?
>>
>>27444357
>complete waste of all the thinking/introspection/rejecting norms iv done already

I agree, but why does it matter? Let it go. Is it that feeling that you've somehow lost yourself, or done yourself wrong for forgetting?
>>
How to Cure Depression and Faux-Nihilism in Six Easy Steps!
1) Stop trying to be smart.
2) Turn off your internal monologue.
3) Cut off your access to commercial media.
4) Stop associating with people who spew ideology.
5) Find a job that doesn't require abstract thought but still pays your bills.
6) Cook and clean for yourself.
>>
>>27444582
>stop thinking and do what you're told
slave ideology at its finest
>>
File: 1433073851279.jpg (14 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1433073851279.jpg
14 KB, 251x242
>>27444582
> just turn your brain off bro!
original comment
>>
why dont you study and practice philosophy instead of wasting your time being anxious and posting on the internet you stupid shitlord
>>
>>27444582
>Turn off your internal monologue.
Wow, you mean there's a switch for that?!
>>
>>27444520
No, not necessarily. But it doesn't make your interesting or brave either. It just makes your life shitty.

Also, the line between self diagnosis and professional diagnosis is disappearing in psychiatry. The psychiatrist can only work with what you tell him, and with how popular depression is on the Internet, you definitely knew the symptoms. You chose to tell your psychiatrist you had depression symptoms. You knew he would diagnose you.
>>
>>27444547
i guess that if i left normie life behind there must have been a good reason, and also that being able to think outside the box is one of the few things that distinguishes me from normies - so just dropping that and joining them would feel like a defeat. if you're not living your own life, what are you doing really? i dunno, i feel that authenticity is important and perhaps all we have..
>>
ITT: Edgy 18 year old
>>
>>27444613
Um? You're misrepresenting what I wrote.
>>27444646
>>27444687
Fair. Step 2 should be the last step. It's very difficult to do before you complete the other steps.
>>
File: 2342352322.jpg (22 KB, 350x240) Image search: [Google]
2342352322.jpg
22 KB, 350x240
>>27444613
Without muh anxiety I am a slave. The fish dat stops flopping is ded.
>>
>>27444415
>>27444582
>>27444828
>>27444740
these all samefag?
>>
File: 1457919913990.gif (410 KB, 221x196) Image search: [Google]
1457919913990.gif
410 KB, 221x196
Nihilism is good thing to be fair.

I mean just read about terror management theory. It does so much shit to us in everyday life. Dayum
>>
Almost.

Sorry to bait and run, but I'm going to sleep. Hope this thread works out for all you special snowflakes out there!
>>
>>27444870
Fun fact: Sartre used dicks as mouthwash.
>>
>>27444726
>feel like a defeat
Ahh, that's the important bit. Do you have a "you vs normies" mentality? Did you have any negative experiences away from normie life? Do you feel happier now or when you were living normie life?

>outside the box is one of the few things that distinguishes me from normies
I tell myself the same thing for some kind of motivation, but I also believe the reality would be completely different from what I've been thinking. There are many, many people that think outside the box who balance it with normie life or just hide it well.

>>27444726
>i feel that authenticity is important and perhaps all we have

I get what you mean but what value is there in trying to hold onto something like that? That's what I ask myself anyway.

>>27444740
People like you that say this never elaborate. Saying edgy is useless.
>>
>>27444201
no such thing as bad homie do whatever you want im (JUST JOKING FBI) a drug addicted alky burglar who seeks out street fights and i love it
>>
File: 1457823229163s.jpg (4 KB, 166x250) Image search: [Google]
1457823229163s.jpg
4 KB, 166x250
>>27445121
> Do you have a "you vs normies" mentality?
no i don't think so, but a lot of the culture seems stupid or pointless to me
> Did you have any negative experiences away from normie life?
isolation and loneliness probably
> Do you feel happier now or when you were living normie life?
was more content before, but it feels like my life now is more real

i hide my power level and can camoflague with the normies, i just have less and less desire to do that.. its just hard for me to accept that life boils down to fitting into a culture you didn't choose

i have to believe theres more than that, other ways to be found or more to it. maybe all you can do is try to find love and some hobbies you're interested in
>>
>>27445327
>no i don't think so, but a lot of the culture seems stupid or pointless to me
It sounds like there was a divide, at least to some extent

>isolation and loneliness probably
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say maybe this caused some bitterness? Which is why you used "defeated". You won't just be changing your life, you're surrendering, and maybe losing pride because of what you experienced being different?

>was more content before, but it feels like my life now is more real
Take whatever opportunity you can to make yourself happy, man, even if that means normie life. Maybe give yourself some sort of reality check every now and again allowing you to know your not living some kind of illusion

>its just hard for me to accept that life boils down to fitting into a culture you didn't choose

What do YOU want to do? It might be very, very hard to move away from these options, but I don't think it's a dichotomy. It can't be, right? To be honest, I'm still looking for an answer to life as well

Sorry, I kinda unintentionally turned into an armchair psychologist in this post...
>>
>>27445962
> To be honest, I'm still looking for an answer to life as well
aye.. we all are, forever, until we die. i don't think we ever reach an answer but i cant stop looking for something better..
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-27-15-06-05.png (170 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-27-15-06-05.png
170 KB, 720x1280
>>27444991
Haha last one was me
>>
>>27445121
Sounds like you don't really have any problems like you're just a confused angsty fag and that's why I called you 18 life's like this but I want this make up your mind what do you want?!?
>>
>>27446366
you might want to look into punctuation
>>
>>27446366
But this was my 1st post in the thread >>27443563. Going into a thread and spewing random shit sounds more like underage behaviour to me

Doesn't matter anyway, nothing does :^)
>>
>am nihilist

>do things for fun

that's all you can really do desu senpai
>>
The fact that everything is pointless means that it's pointless to obsess over it. Everything is pointless. Everything we apply any form of "meaning" to, or have done, is just that. Something we have given meaning to on our own, since it was devoid of any meaning before. Sure, it is still inherently meaningless, but you are not an objective omniscient being who only sees meaning in things that are inherently and objectively meaningful, you are subjective and that is never going to change. So just give meaning to the stuff you want, accept the meaninglessness and have fun regardless. You're selfish. So what? You're going to die one day. So what? It's all meaningless anyway in the end. So what?

Just have fun.
>>
>>27442945
>theres no reconciling these viewpoints
Of course there fucking is, the fact that "nothing matters" in the sense that there is no objective purpose to or meaning of life or anything doesn't mean there's nothing worth doing.
Anything that results in a net gain of happiness is worth doing and hence "matters" in the only sense that truly matters.

Don't tell me you really put off getting your life together so that you can actually enjoy it just because
>hurr theres no objective meaning and everything I do has to have some kind of external purpose to validate my existence because I can't enjoy it for it's own sake

That's not what you meant right? Cause it's fucking stupid.
>>
>>27446528
My words are not random nigga also I was just elaborating because you asked
>>
>>27446814
saved
mr robotto
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.