[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /enthusiasticbetatester/ here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10
File: 1445871929204.jpg (36 KB, 600x443) Image search: [Google]
1445871929204.jpg
36 KB, 600x443
> be me
> drop out of university
> become freelance programmer
> get my own place
> work part time so have a lot of free time
> decide to make online programming platform
> takes 1.5 years, but finally done
> can't figure out how to attract users

Any ideas?

The basic concept is you make programs that are run on a client side VM that is part of the website. The programs are written in a language that I based on Java. How the fuck do I attract users to beta test?

Help a fellow robot out.
>>
>>27441064
Post link maybe? If it's paid, you probably wasted your time. Have you seen Wolfram Programming Lab? It's fucking awesome, but nobody will ever seriously use it.
>>
>>27441064
It sounds complicated.

Can I get a link?
>>
>>27441064
Oh, sorry. Forgot the link:

http://dataline.iteradon.com

Beware: Sign up required, it's painless though, no personal information required, side from an email address.
>>
>>27441122
>Wolfram Programming Lab
No haven't seen it, googling now.
>>
>>27441246
It's basically a gimped online version of Mathematica. On the off chance you haven't used Mathematica, oh man oh man... you need to haul ass to the nearest pirate website and grab a copy.
>>
>>27441303
I have used Mathematica actually, it's really good. I just checked out the Wolfram Programming Lab, it's definitely fucking awesome. Why do you think nobody will ever seriously use it?
>>
File: uwot.jpg (43 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
uwot.jpg
43 KB, 600x600
>>27441224
What the fuck, seriously? Is this 1995?
>homepage contains no details about what this is
>neither "iteradon" nor "dataline" are descriptive
>registration and email address required, because what is oauth
>UI opens with a terminal (which is fucking useless, by the way) instead of the code view
>code view is called "Application"
>"Editor" does not actually mean editor
>no run button in the code view
>some bullshit about packages? what are these?
>what the fuck is documentation
"Finally done"? Is this an early access game or something?
>>
File: 1446223913235.jpg (80 KB, 640x539) Image search: [Google]
1446223913235.jpg
80 KB, 640x539
>>27441510
kek, thanks for the feedback familia. You're the first person to actually use the thing aside from myself.

I'm not a UI designer m8 and I do admit that there is no documentation yet.

There are many UI elements that currently do nothing, that I should probably remove.

I shall add details to the home page soon, thanks for mentioning that.

Read about OAuth but email authentication is more common and won't confuse anyone.

Please sir can I has more feedback?
>>
>>27441064
Shit bro, I'm gonna drop out of college as well but I have no clue how to get started on my own. Do you know how to make money off this shit? Freelance seems way too competitive to make a living within years.
>>
File: twelve-hours.png (194 KB, 831x793) Image search: [Google]
twelve-hours.png
194 KB, 831x793
>>27441599
I don't really have any other feedback to give f@m. There's no docs, so I don't know what language this is and can't even tell you how you (undoubtedly) fucked it up.
The question I have to ask is really why are you doing this? What possible userbase are you targeting?
>>
>>27441668
Sure hombre. I make most of my money doing local jobs. I live in the city so I'm nearby enough large and small businesses for there to be plenty of work within driving distance.

The easiest way to get started is to make yourself a 1-page website that explains which skills you have and provides contact details. Then you'll want to be really active on social media and message local businesses directly offering your services.

The online freelance websites are competitive but you can easily make money there as well. They also have a lower barrier for entry since you don't need to do any networking first. I can easily make $5000+ a fortnight.

What programming languages do you know?
>>
What's an example of something a basic program on this platform can do? And an advanced one?
>>
>>27441743
I honestly couldn't tell you m8. I made the thing because I find it useful. I work on a lot of other peoples computers often so being able to run handy little scripts from any desktop is useful to me. It only costs me $5 a month to keep it running and I did it all in my spare time so it was no biggy.

Even if it doesn't end up being useful to anyone else it will at least serve as an example of my work and skills if I apply for work at some software company, which is useful considering the fact that I am unaccredited.

Did you at least download the tutorial package?
>>
>>27441824
Well, given the fact that the terminal is currently the only way to perform IO you can do anything that can be done with any other programming language when that is the only available IO channel.

If you click on the menu (The one with your display name) you can download a tutorial package with code examples in it.
>>
Oh, also I forgot to mention you can type help in the terminal to see a bit of documentation.
>>
>>27441599
Single sign on is probably a better name than OAuth. A "sign in with Google" button, for instance, would be excellent.
Or just let us use it without sign in, because it's all client-side, you're not charging for it and the average programmer absolutely fucking hates having to sign up to try something.

>>27441921
That just downloads what appears to be a JSON file. There's no import button, and drag-and-drop doesn't work. Also, how is that in any way discoverable?
>>
>>27442087
Gotcha homie, I'm taking notes, keep it coming.

The package can be imported in the Editor tab by clicking on the menu (trigram [3 bars]) next to Private Packages.
>>
>>27442087
I realize that signing up for shit is a pain in the ass, I too loath it but there is state attached to each profile so the login is kind of necessary otherwise it undermines the whole purpose of the platform (accessing code from anywhere.)

I will try and figure out how one uses the "Log in with Google" api\interface\service and see if I can't use that instead.
>>
>>27442171
Here are a few pointers: 0x3A28213A, 0x6339392C, https://developers.google.com/identity/sign-in/web/, 0x7363682E.
>>
>>27441921
An elevator pitch of "uh, you can do normal baseline stuff with it" makes it not a user-marketable product but rather your personal bonsai tree.
>>
File: 1445110942364.jpg (17 KB, 242x255) Image search: [Google]
1445110942364.jpg
17 KB, 242x255
>>27442220
> Here are a few pointers
> 0x3A28213A, 0x6339392C

Kek, I see what you did there m8. Thanks for the link, I will read it ASAP.

>>27442228

You're half right m80, it was originally just for myself but it works and it works quite well so I figured I would make it accessible to everyone else as well. I plan on adding file-io and other features eventually but for now it's really only useful for simple scripts that transform input. It honestly doesn't do anything amazing.
>>
>>27441745
Thanks bro. That's gonna be hard though, I don't have any personal projects and such, but I'm a pretty decent programmer.

I'm great at Java like you'd expect. I'm good enough with some other popular programming languages like C#, C, and Python, although I'm not too extensively familiar with their standard libraries. Any particular language you think they'd require?
>>
>>27442460
Well web programming is the easiest market out there, every business has to have a website these days so local businesses will be your best market.

For everything else Java will be your best bet. Businesses love Java. Good luck getting hired without accreditation though, as you'd expect it's a tough world if you don't have proof that you're good at your job. After you get a few jobs done the recommendations will be all the proof you need though.

Are familiar at all with web technologies? The standard package being html + css + javascript + php + mySQL.

Also, if I may ask, why are you dropping out?
>>
>>27442316
I actually have my own "bonsai tree" language that I use instead of Bash. It works with the "shebang" #! system so it's effectively a first class citizen on Unix. Have also done some very basic webapps with it using CGI.
>>
>>27442590
>Are familiar at all with web technologies? The standard package being html + css + javascript + php + mySQL.
Yes, I've done several college and hobby stuff with them (nothing extensive and didn't save it). I wouldn't have trouble making a decent site. I'm shit at UI design though.

>Also, if I may ask, why are you dropping out?
Several reasons, but the chief one being that I keep failing the year because the assignments are mind-numbing. It's like I'm typing from a book or a script for hours on end, every single day, and it's driving me absolutely bonkers.

What about you? Your problem probably wasn't the difficulty either.
>>
File: 1446715519047.png (19 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1446715519047.png
19 KB, 499x499
>>27441510
I've taken some of your recommendations shit-poster san; I've removed all of the dead UI elements. Thoughts? Still present?
>>
>>27442980
Impressive. I myself have made another little interpreter that I use on the desktop as well. It is mainly for testing c-libraries so it has a basic scripting language that can dynamically load dlls and execute functions just from a basic definition in a text file.

What do some of your web apps do? Also, why weren't any of the existing Unix scripting facilities sufficient?
>>
>>27443022
It makes more sense now, of course.
>>
>>27443018
You don't need to be particularly good at web programming to make most of the websites small businesses want. Most are just static websites that give them a web presence and you can finish the average such website in a day or too - it's real easy money.

I dropped out mainly because I wasn't learning anything useful. I was enrolled in the Computer Science degree and I was annoyed to discover that you don't learn neither about designing computers (this is actually part of Electrical Engineering) nor designing computer programs (this is actually part of Information Technology). So having already wasted a year and a half on it I decided to cut my loses and just move on with my career since I was already good enough at programming to get payed doing it.
>>
>>27443281
> in a day or too
Fuck me, I meant in a day or two.
>>
>>27443171
Excellent, thanks for that tip holmes, it seems so obvious now. I'll have to work on adding a description of the service on the home page and making the menu with the "Tutorial" more obvious. Also I should add instructions on importing the tutorial on that download page too.

Do you think a tooltip on the menu will be enough, something like "Menu - click to show" or should I have notification bubbles that appear at first login?
>>
>>27443152
The best attempted webapp is a basic wiki, so it's doing things like parsing <form> POSTs / HTML querystrings, rendering HTML pages dynamically, rendering markdown using a child process, using the filesystem as a datastore, etc.

>Also, why weren't any of the existing Unix scripting facilities sufficient?

That's the crux of a divide and why I call it bonsai tree programming. It's more about having my own little thing that I completely control than doing it better (or even as well as) what's already available.

Basically I'm completely in self-indulgent lala-land. Sounds like you are still contributing to society with your programming :)
>>
>>27443281
>Most are just static websites that give them a web presence
Yeah I've noticed this. When I was looking for an internship, most websites just had a simple static site to show themselves off. Eventually I started working at this small 20-man company, and even though it was a software development company, they outsourced the making of their site. That surprised me but I guess it's good news for the lonely wolves out there.

>designing computer programs
That's pretty easy to learn on your own (if you're talking about proper inheritance and design patterns and such). Tbh it was a good decision to quit if you're making a living off it. Did you start making money immediately, or did you have another job/parental support while you were contacting businesses and such?
>>
What is, a MUSH, Mr. Trebek?
>>
>>27441064
Okay quick note, I know its meant for PC users, but you might wanna do something for mobile users as well. Currently its showing a Blue screen with a sign up and a login button on top (Motorola Moto G 2nd gen, Android 6.0). Maybe even just a "Sorry, this is a PC only platform" would do, but this literally looks like a 9 year old's first website...
>>
Is this shit for people that already know how to code or can anyone just fuck around with it? I made an attempt at babby's first coding lesson on code academy with the javascript thing. I didn't pay for a membership though so I couldn't do the projects to actually learn anything. I did what the lessons told me but didn't really understand it because it just shows you something, tells you to do it, then moves on without much explanation.
>>
>>27443845
Alright senpai, thanks for the heads up. I'll add a notice on that page. It's really only meant for PC users.
>>
>>27443855
True, codecademy has a few all right courses, but most are just total shit
>This is X
>Type "X"
>Goodjob, next chapter.

If you really want to learn something, give yourself a project (build an application of some sort), and discover and learn while building. That's the thing that works best

>Inb4 "I dunno how 2 code lol xDD"
Google
>>
>>27443845

I can't tell if you're trolling, insulting him, or just trying to make a point. but on the extremely unlikely chance that you're serious, that's what it shows for everyone.

OP can't into design, obviously
>>
>>27443855
Unfortunately since I haven't created a tutorial yet, the application is really only accessible to people that already know how to program. Learning Java will get you 90% though there since I based the programming language on Java.
>>
>>27443921
>>27443909
Okay so I was actually being serious. I only checked on my phone, but if it is really the case that OP didn't do shit about the design.... Well you might wanna get some quick lessons on how to actually make a homepage
>>
>>27443855
>>27443919
You don't even need to start with a full-fledged application. Just follow some basic YouTube tuts at first until you grasp the fundamentals. Then you can make something like a basic text game. Make sure you learn inheritance too, it's gonna help.
>>
>>27443921
>>27443970
Not OP but I'm shit at design as well. My sites/apps are functionally okay, but I'm horrid at making GUIs. That kind of stuff should be secondary desu, there's no point to a nice interface if the core doesn't work.
>>
>>27443694
That's cool. Well a lot of great projects have been born from self-indulgence so I don't fault you, it's quite fun to build your own programs.

I am hoping on contributing to society since it doesn't cost me anything to share the program with others, not until 10s of thousands of people are using it that is, but I double it will ever reach that point.
>>
>>27441064
Haha, joke. You wasted your time. Why would anyone use some shitty noob-made os like that? Plenty of people make their own os's all the time, no doubt better than yours, and even they fade away into obscurity. Why would you even do this? To seem cool and to have something to brag about? This seems like something a normalfag would do.
>>
>>27444042
Not OP here...
But what else do you fucking do when you're at a job interview? Tell them how much you suck and how little you achieved?
>>
>>27443919
I don't think I even know enough to have a decent starting point. Is there a flowchart info pic for coding progression somewhere that I could follow as a guideline? Got a lot of free time and I waste it all on 4chan, learning to make something simple like a text adventure would be fun and productive, it's just an intimidating thing to start because there's so much to learn.
>>
>>27443719
I started making money 3 months after I dropped out, before then I was being supported by my parents. Since then however I have been completely independent, just making static websites pays enough to pay my rent and all my other expenses - god bless the internet.
>>
OP, have you ever heard of MUSHes? Multi User Shared Hallucinations? Look up PennMUSH.
>>
>>27441064
How do i begin learning programmig?
>>
>>27444026
Fake it till you make it. No user will really enjoy using an application, website, OS or whatever if it looks like shit. If you have a flashy design you will instantly attract more new, and satisfy more current users.

Examples:
>Stacey's with zero brain capacity but tons of make up.
>Chad's with zero brain capacity but tons of muscles and shit
>>
>>27444042
are you a creative person yourself?
>>
>>27444070
This anon is pretty much correct.

>>27444042
How the hell is making a functioning Editor + Compiler + Virtual Machine + Document Generator in javascript a fucking waste of time? How the hell do you prove to potential employers that you've got mettle? It's also useful to me personally even if no one else wants to use it. Why the fuck do so many people on the internet have these douchey defeatist attitudes?
>>
No idea what you made but good for you OP, hope you build onto your creations and excel.
>>
>>27444134
Never heard of these anon, I am googling right now.

> A MUD server, used to create text-based multiplayer social & roleplaying games.

Do you have one of your own?
>>
>>27444149
>>27444109

Okay first of all, learn the basics. Start with building a website using HTML, CSS and JavaScript. You can easily find guides and even dictionary-like sites that give you everything you need to know. Next up do something like recreate a website without looking at its source code.

If done right, you now know the basics and more importantly: JavaScript. HTML and CSS are pretty much strictly used to build websites, while you can also build on its own standing scripts (I suggest you start with that after the website stuff), programs and applications.
>>
>>27444026
The same is true of my applications. For most applications I have never had to consider another persons impression of it since I normally have other guys working on design.

>>27444159
I will work on improving the design as soon as possible. A blue screen with two buttons is definitely not much of a landing page for any application, except maybe: Blue Screen Of Death - The Game.
>>
>>27444256
No. I have started coding a base for one though. I am really active on one MUSH. I will not specify which as it would indicate who I am, but there are not that many and I encourage you to visit some and check them out. Especially ones that are derived from PennMUSH. In those ones you usually are able to program in "MUSHcode" and create lots and stuff. I have seen many cool things and cool communities.
>>
>>27444321
>Blue screen of death, the game
I can handle horrorgames and gore movies, but this is a game I absolutely NEVER WANT TO PLAY

So Terrifying.
>>
File: 1449093382084.jpg (33 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1449093382084.jpg
33 KB, 500x375
>>27444237
Thanks anon, drive-by comments are normally some douche talking about how he knows better and I've wasted my time - nice to see some congratulations from anonymous internet users.
>>
>>27444109
Just begin and things will work out by themselves. When you're stuck or don't know what to learn next, you can ask on a gazillion different forums.

If you need a starting point, just type "Java tutorial" into YouTube. A good channel is TheNewBoston. Just start and it will all come together in the end.
>>
>>27444114
Fucking sounds like heaven mate. Thanks for the info, I guess I'll start learning how to design interfaces and then make some simple static sites and showcase them.

God I fucking hope this works out.
>>
>>27444494
Thanks anon, I bookmarked TheNewBoston's java tutorial playlist and I'll start with that when I have time.
>>
>>27444086
Well I know that now, thanks to your comment m8. I'll try and be more active in coding communities and maybe make some contacts with like minded people.
>>
File: Remember no normies.jpg (165 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Remember no normies.jpg
165 KB, 1280x720
>>27441064
Will it do my homework?
>>
>>27444325
I've read the information at www.pennmush.org and I'll definitely be trying it out later, thanks anon.
>>
Hey guys, I feel like this thread doesn't belong on R9K... Way too constructive and positive...

But I like it.

Please, what is the name of the board where the smart people live? Where this post belongs? Where I need to go to actually have conversations with non-"I only fap and 4chan and do nothing lulz xd", non-"I am so sad and I need attention plz listen" but just generally clever people?
>>
>>27444744
It's called not on 4chan.
Find like an irc. Or you can make an irc and create a mod staff that enforces constructive discussion rather than shitposting and nihilism.
>>
>>27444411
Welcome to BSOD, the worlds first text-based mysterious error debugging game.

You are jacking of to some DP ebony porn when a blue screen of death appears, you suspect that the computer will restart automatically as soon as the memory dump has been created, what do you do:

1) Check for the name of the offending driver; Recite the name as many times as possible in the hopes that when the computer restarts you'll still be able to remember it so you can google it.

2) Say "FUCK!" out loud and reach for your jizz rag, it's already late and you should just probably get to sleep anyway.

3) Sit quietly in front of the machine until it restarts; when the screen goes black and you see your own grumpy eyes staring back at you reflect on how shit your life has become. Resume masturbation as soon as you can restart your video.

option>______
>>
>>27444879
Reddit it is
>>
>>27444744
Hacker News

>inb4 someone tries to deny there's a generally high standard of comments there and insist it's a site for "hipsters"
>>
>>27444890
Choice is so hard ;-;

Probably option 1 (if I hadn't already on my phone), then most likely is option 3, least likely would be 2, and that would only happen if I REALLY have a bad day
>>
>>27441064
Okay all, I'm off to sleep (/Europe/)

'T was an honor supplying you with advice OP. Felt good to do something usefull for other people. All the best and I hope your site kickstarts (once its got a better design, it surely will!). G'Night y'all
>>
File: 1446414468933.jpg (98 KB, 680x601) Image search: [Google]
1446414468933.jpg
98 KB, 680x601
>>27444947
Don't drop your wallet on the way out, you'll need it to pay for Reddit server up-time in the form of reddit gold.
>>
>>27445080
Thanks m8, your advice has been very valuable. Allahu Akbar my friend.

PS. Boom.
>>
>>27445114
Kek'ed

Kekked so fucking hard man
>>
>>27442087
Are you unironically saying that google/normiebook loging on non google/normiebook sites is a good thing? I mean sure, its good for attracting users but its still shit for anyone who doesn't want to tether their google/normiebook account everywhere
>>
>>27441064
>based on java
that's the problem here, anon. literally no one uses that shit outside enterprise anymore.
>>
>>27445809
(You).jar
>>
Bumping because I like this thread for some reason.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.