[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What obligation do any of us have to being good people? Should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1456799313496.png (630 KB, 925x720) Image search: [Google]
1456799313496.png
630 KB, 925x720
What obligation do any of us have to being good people? Should we not direct all of our hatred and other extremely suppressed feelings, outwards to the world? Why do you even bother trying to keep it all to yourself and not spread it like a disease? What's stopping you from drowning the world in your despair?

For me it's the fact that I would go to jail if I broke the law. Also, my belief in god.
>>
I believe in a vague sort of way that we are connected, and that I might wind up as someone else once I die. That keeps me from harming other people. OTOH, it doesn't stop me from littering and vandalizing property like crazy.
>>
>>27434232
Don't shit where you eat, friend. And the longer you think about it, the more you realize that everyone and everything is ultimately what you 'eat.' Not in any grand, cosmic sense, but just in that the world is nothing more than communities of individuals that depend on a certain degree of trust and responsibility to operate.
>>
what else do you think I'm doing on 4chan?

>Also, my belief in god.

but you're still miserable lmao
>>
>>27434257
reincarnation would be very interesting if it's true
I would like to be a sentient being again though
>>27434259
but why do you care?
>>27434280
Yeah, but knowing that god exists stops me from doing things that would only harm me later

actually I'm a hypocrite I'm high as fuck right now but coming down slowly but surely
>>
There's no obligation, it's imperative to suppress or at least internalize certain "destructive" feelings if you want to have nice things. I don't know where feelings stop being destructive or where they start being constructive but I do know sitting around feeling like a sack of shit doesn't get you much, sitting around feeling like a seraph would most likely get you a lot further.

I can think of a shitload of instances where turning hatred outward would be ill advised but I can't think of a single reason why you shouldn't.
>>
>>27434337
>but why do you care?
Cause I want to go on living in a functional, comfortable society.
>>
>>27434337

god wants you to hurt other people though, read the bible, he wants you to exterminate an entire village if they let even one non-believer live there
>>
>>27434423
He probably believes in his own god, one he himself made up.
He couldn't possibly be stupid enough to believe in gods made up by people thousands of years ago, i just find that difficult to believe.
>>
>>27434232
I suppose, at my core, I enjoy being a good person.

Doing good deeds reinforces my positive self image and activates the 'reward circuits' in my brain, giving me joy.

Perhaps I am only selfishly good. But it's enough
>>
Because we did not ask for our lot in life. It either fell into our laps or blindsided us. We have no one else to blame and if you read enough neuroscience you get the impression that perhaps free will is a complete illusion; that we are at the mercy of our neurology. This means we have no one to blame not even ourselves. It's not like when both you and Chad McThundercock were fetuses he jumped into your mom's uterus and stole all your good genes. Our lives are one big accident.

Knowing all that, don't you think it is unfair to take out our anger on others?
>>
How can anyone who believes in God be miserable? If there was a God then no matter how shitty your life was you could always feel hopeful knowing that everything will be okay in the end.

I wish I could believe.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.