[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does it "get better" for people with chronic depression?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: 1458485993066.png (361 KB, 580x900) Image search: [Google]
1458485993066.png
361 KB, 580x900
Does it "get better" for people with chronic depression?

Has there ever been a documented case of someone with chronic depression who has completely gotten over it? I'm not referring to medication making one care less or alleviating some symptoms, but a full blown recovery. Surely it's possible, right? If one had a normal brain before wouldn't it be possible to return to the way it was?
>>
File: 1432337354217.jpg (955 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1432337354217.jpg
955 KB, 1920x1080
>>27418066
There have been times where I thought I was better but at the end of the day it always comes back.
>>
>>27418066
Also I've never been to therapy or on any sort of drugs. Every time the depression comes back it's usually with some other sort of mental illness like chronic anxiety. At least that part goes away eventually.
>>
Hi was depressed taught abut killing my self 24/7 diagnosed clinically depressed

It was a long journey to cure my depression. I could maybe walk you through, but I don't have the time. I am kind enough to share my story however.
>>
TAKE ACID FGT
>>
File: 1458939583990.jpg (131 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1458939583990.jpg
131 KB, 750x750
>>27418066
>What are you talking about bro, just lift and get out there ;)
>>
>>27418066
it's not the depression that kills me

it's just never liking anything ever, sucks.

just want to sleep forever
>>
File: mariocart.jpg (109 KB, 600x799) Image search: [Google]
mariocart.jpg
109 KB, 600x799
>>27418066

Yes.

There comes a point when you feel relief, because you can feel again.

But you have to keep taking care of yourself, or it comes back.
>>
>>27418066
>Does it "get better" for people with chronic depression?

No.

>Has there ever been a documented case of someone with chronic depression who has completely gotten over it?

I don't know.

Does anyone know if clinical depression has specific, *consistent* hallmarks that show up in say, an fMRI?

I suspect there's nothing definitive yet, but if so, has there been any longitudinal studies that show some people losing these hallmarks in conjunction with some remission of their depressive symptoms?
>>
>>27418066
Ketamine, shrooms, and MDMA have all been known to help, in a more lasting capacity than traditional antidepressants. Obviously not reliable, but if you don't really have anything to lose there's no reason not to try it.
>>
File: 1442211274447.jpg (40 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1442211274447.jpg
40 KB, 480x270
No. Can confirm. Life situation might get better, but the depression does not.
>>
>>27418066
It's probably not real. It's likely just a personality type. Some people are just pessimistic and low-energy.
>>
>>27419968
>. Some people are just pessimistic and low-energy.
This. "Depression" is just my default state.
>>
It can improve, but it can never really go away. There's a chance of dramatically improving it if you make some huge changes to your life.

Depression I think is nature's way of telling us that we need to make big changes. Unfortunately our society isn't conducive to having people just make huge changes whenever they want, especially if you're an adult and especially if you have a family. You're supposed to do the same shitty routine every day and be happy about it.

So if you're young, do what you can now before some woman holds you down and ends up making babies with your seed. After that point you have zero choices in the world.
>>
>>27420067
>do what you can now before some woman holds you down and ends up making babies with your seed
What? You can't be forced into marriage and having children.
>>
File: kurisu sad.jpg (29 KB, 293x263) Image search: [Google]
kurisu sad.jpg
29 KB, 293x263
>If one had a normal brain before wouldn't it be possible to return to the way it was?
I'm sick of hearing that shit.

I hear so often that, "YOUR PERSPECTIVE ON LIFE IS JUST WRONG! YOUR BRAIN CHEMICALS ARE IMBALANCED! THAT IS WHY YOU ARE DEPRESSED!"

Fuck off. I am depressed because I don't have friends anymore, I am ugly as fuck, I am bored of everything, and I have never had a girlfriend. That is why I am unhappy.

If I had my old friends back, if I wasn't ugly, and if I had a girlfriend, I would not be depressed.

Why are people so quick to blame something other than me? My life is shit. That is why I am unhappy. When I get someone telling me that my brain chemicals are imbalanced or whatever, I ask them if they would be happy if they had my life. They all say no.
>>
>>27419477

Anhedonia is a symptom of depression
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.