[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw want to be cultured and intelligent, but when I try to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 841.jpg (78 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
841.jpg
78 KB, 680x680
>tfw want to be cultured and intelligent, but when I try to read philosophy it all just seems like mumbo-jumbo

Anyone else? I feel like when I try to get into philosophy, they always take forever to say practically nothing. Do I have have a simple and limited mind?
>>
>>27417903
Depends on the philosopher, you retard.

Nietzsche goes to the point fast almost everytime.
>>
Did you start with the Greeks? It is easier if you read philosophical works in chronological order because each new school's ideas are heavily based on the ideas of previous schools. If you jump straight to the 20th century, philosophical works will have layers upon layers of terminology describing various aspects of the most fundamental questions. It will make no sense at all if you are not familiar with those basic ideas.
>>
>>27417903

philosphy is mostly bullshit , try reading classic literature and make up your own opinions from that
>>
>>27417903
You're pretty much right. It's just cerebral masturbation for the most part
>>
That's because philosophy is just mumbo-jumbo. It really is all just a load of made-up bullshit that tries to be logically consistent. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.
>>
>>27418038
This op

Reading a bunch of philosophy won't make you cultured, most people won't be able to relate to it anyway, just as you don't either. Really the best thing anyone can do is read things that interest them, and travel, meet new people, and try new things. The more you interact with others and try to understand them and visit and see new things the more cultured you'll be. You don't have to go far even, if you're in the US, maybe try visiting New Orleans or any other state. The world is full of a lot of history and hard working people.
>>
Philosophy is bullshit. Just people who thought they were smart writing random shit. This becomes pretty apperent by the fact that they mostly disagree with each other. It's really not better than reading religious fiction.
>>
Study theology not philosophy
>>
It's cerebral masterbate as anons said

You want to be cultured, inteligent and wiser?

Cultured => history Books and newspapers (both left and rigth) + wiki for events
Inteligent => Anything related with logic, from pure math logic, to law (If you going to humanities)
Wiser => all of the above + theology (read some passages from the bible from time to time) and classic literature

There was a infopic about greek classics intro books arround here...
>>
Is this wojak a polish hussar?

Tbh they were pure chads of those times (rich, famous, mentally and physically strong) so I doubt there could be any betas in this formation
>>
File: 1455687485071.jpg (106 KB, 450x1024) Image search: [Google]
1455687485071.jpg
106 KB, 450x1024
I just finished Plato's complete works. I've read the Nichomachean Ethics and am now slogging through the Organon. Go chronologically and I feel you should be able to make it eventually.
>>
>>27417903
Here you go OP:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie's_World

/pol9k/ & /lit9k/ will disagree, as they should, but it's the most accessible philosophy book I could think of.
>>
>>27419323
>tfw pole and still beta
Kill me
>>
Philosophy isn't bullshit-

The outsider- colin wilson
Zen and the art of motorcyle maintenance - Robert Pirsig
Nausea- Satre

All easy novelish books to get into
>>
You don't learn about philosophy because you want to seem intellectual or cultured, you learn because you have a hunger for wisdom and knowledge.

This is why traditionally philosophy and science were always so interconnected and also why science has natural philosophy as its father.
>>
>>27417903
Try listening to pirated TTC lectures on philosophy.
Also try starting from the beginning with the Greeks. The Dialogues are actually quite funny when you understand them.
>>
>>27417903
Here's some philosophy for ya
Time spent sitting on the computer reading quotes by philosophers is time that should be spent working. Man lives to work. If you do your job and you do it well, you need no advice from dead men as you are already as good a man as you need to be.
>>
>>27417903
what are you reading?
>>
>>27417962
nietzsche's point is that he is a whiny bitch though who can't get over the fact that not everybody is a robot.
>>
There's no point trying to 'get into' philosophy unless you want someone to tell you what to think. Notice that I said 'what'' and not 'how'
>>
>>27418038
>>27418128
Listen to these plebs. Just because you're too dense to understand philosophy doesn't mean it's bullshit.
>>
>>27417903
Philosophy isn't the only interesting thing in the world. Read about science, or history or read novels or whatever grabs you. Don't force yourself into something you're not about.
>>
>>27417903
political philosophy ruined philosophy overall to me
>>
There are maybe five philosophers that are also good writers. You have to wprkntp get the rest of them.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.