[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What programming language should i learn?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: QT.jpg (64 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
QT.jpg
64 KB, 960x960
Help an anon out.
>>
>>27405819

Assembly
>>
C++ is the way basic language otherwise I would say html or java
>>
>>27405839
wew matey
>>
What's the motivation to learn a language?
>>
>>27405819
Java if you're an idiot, c++ if you aren't, visual basic if you're legitimately mentally impaired
>>
>>27405872

Additional skill to my resume. I'm in college for two more years, non computer science major, but want to have a 'practical' skill that i can use.
>>
>>27405872
Boredom. It's a surprisingly good motivator.
>>
File: qt grill.png (162 KB, 471x351) Image search: [Google]
qt grill.png
162 KB, 471x351
Python.

YES OR NO
>>
jervascript
>>
>>27405819
Who is this?

I keep seeing "her" face, somebody told me she was a trap in a different thread.
>>
Python. Fifth graders can write shit in Python. If you found learning Python to be fun and exciting, try Java to try out another major language and get the hang of a lower-level and more object-oriented language. If you found learning Java to be fun and exciting, try C for an even lower-level language; you'll learn a lot about the fundamentals of programming and why exactly shit like Python makes your life so much easier. From there, learn whatever the fuck you want. If you can grasp C, there's really no language that should be too far out of your reach.
>>
>>27405979

Neo-nazi who supports Trump. Went to a rally with the words "Aryan" on her shirt. Not making this up. /pol/ is fucking IN LOVE with her.

QT racistfu.
>>
>>27405979
shes a stupid cuck demon
>>
I'm interested in learning a language too. I heard that there is no such as a language you should begin with, rather you should have a goal you want to accomplish and ask for advice on what the best language to accomplish that goal would be. Can anyone back that up or is it just a meme? If it's true then what language would be best for learning to make basic 2d games?
>>
I've had a lot of experience programming. I can honestly say that it literally doesn't matter. Every language has the same concepts of object orientation, recursion, data structures, pointers, polymorphism, etc. I started with C++ for the record, but it doesn't matter if you pick c#, java, python, whatever. Just don't pick something obscure and weird and you'll be fine. Once you get good at one language it'll be easy to pick up the others. They're not so different.
>>
>>27406053
Again, it really doesn't matter. If I were to make a 2d game, I'd use C++ with allegro or sdl or something. But you can use Python and PyGame, c# and monogame, etc. Or you could just use js / c# with unity and it probably would be easier and take less time to learn.
>>
File: 1409004933759.jpg (43 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1409004933759.jpg
43 KB, 500x375
>recommending Python

Unless you're under 15, start with Java.
>>
>>27406053
honestly, something like unity (C#) or game maker (some scripting language) would be your best bet for productivity

Games programming is pretty fucking difficult if you're trying to write your own engine, since you have to understand physics, math (especially linear algebra, matrix math, set theory, etc.), data structures and AI stuff (graph traversal algorithms e.g. A* for pathfinding), graphics rendering (openGL or whatever), user interaction and interface design, music, networking...

basically it's REALLY difficult.

>>27406232
>every language
>object oriented
WEEW LADDO
>>
start with java because I walked uphill 3 ways home from school in floods everyday

then go to any new flavor of the month language
>>
C
It will never be obsolete.
>>
>>27405969
Python is ez pz to start with. Do it.
>>
>neetfags thinking they have the self motivation to learn programming

GUFFAW
>>
File: IWishIWasAtHome.jpg (74 KB, 676x673) Image search: [Google]
IWishIWasAtHome.jpg
74 KB, 676x673
Starting with Java is never a bad idea. It's a bit harder, so other languages will come easier to you after.

I learned from a really good book called Learn Java the Hard Way.
>>
>tfw want to learn programming to be a freelance developer and work from anywhere with an internet connection
>tfw cant compete with the curryniggers that code for a nickel a day
literally why live
>>
>>27406461
there's a big difference between a skilled programmer and a foreign code monkey
source: somewhat skilled programmer, currently employeed
>>
>>27406033
She's a bat-shit crazy leftist.
>>
>>27406365
I'm not saying every language, just most common ones that beginners are most likely to pick up, excluding, like, c. Don't get me wrong I could've worded that better but I'm just trying to clarify.
>>
C or Java, if you're competent. If you have the brain of a 7 year old and will never progress, learn Python, PHP, or JavaScript.
>>
>>27405819

R.

>PROTIP: C++ is for 40-something retards
>>
>>27405819

>2016
>Not learning Prolog

Literally the foundation for all AI languages in use today.
>>
>>27405819
I agree with many other anons here, go with Java. It's much easier to branch out from there. Or you might realize that you actually hate coding. But Java.
>>
>>27405889
>Java if you're an idiot, c++ if you aren't, visual basic if you're legitimately mentally impaired

Why would you say something like this?
>>
File: tva 4 b.jpg (84 KB, 446x596) Image search: [Google]
tva 4 b.jpg
84 KB, 446x596
>>27405819
The only two programming languages that matter:

JavaScript

PERL
>>
>>27405819

If I had to choose one language, it would be perl.

>at one time, perl was THE language powering the web and still is very important
>can write incredibly powerful programs in a single line of code
>elegant beautiful and bulletproof
>>
>>27407071
>JavaScr
>muh C# cuz vidya
>>
C++ is the most useful and basically covers the basics of any other language that matters
>>
>>27407159
>perl
Go back to the 90s, grandpa. I bet you listen to KMFDM and think Quake 3 was the best video game ever.
>>
>>27405819

Smalltalk is the future. Pull down a couple of Squeak and start writing programs and learning. Absolute best, dead serious.

>developed in Smalltalk (visual works) for a couple of years
>never found a development environment so powerful anywhere else
>>
which has the best job prospects?
>>
>>27405839
This was actually my first programming language. Along with TECO that is. I'm old.
>>
>>27407219

COBOL.

Seriously. Here's the reason: banks and other enterprise companies have shittons of COBOL code they've invested in over the past 50 years. No one knows that shit anymore but a handful of boomer-types and the few of us lucky enough to have learned from them.

Consultant work is name-your-price. I get between 400-500 an hour for this shit. Fucking golden.

Screw the kids telling you to learn the flavor-of-the-week language. Learn Cobol and be in teh shit.

>Bonus: I work with old iron...mainframes and minis. Shit is awesome.
>>
>>27407214
>powerful
Can someone explain what this means when people talk about languages?
I see it used a lot when languages are talked about but I never really got the meaning.
Is it something to do with processing speed and compactness?
>>
>>27407305
Where do you study? my college is filled with cobol freaks telling the exact same thing
>>
>>27405819
Haskell desu senpai
>>
>>27407159
>JavaScript
yeah if you're a fucking brain dead hipster
>>
>>27407219
anything that isn't web language that retards who go to bootcamps are learning. Ruby and PHP are for idiots who don't want a job, or want their job to be reading spaghetti code written by retards.
>>
>>27406486
Not like many people care though, companies have no problem paying a lot less for inferior code as long as it does what they want it to

Plus for TWO nickels a day you can find some halfway decent programmers. It takes some searching, for sure, but not everybody is retarded and someone overseas with equivalent skills will still do it for less than their US counterpart

Thanks Obama
>>
>>27406386
Learn C if you need help add caca.master1 on skype
>>
>>27407370

I'm out of college now. Worked with Accenture, then struck out on my own.

Actually moving into Ada work now, got my defense clearance. Very rigorous language, awesome shit.

>>27407365

Not the guy who posted that, but Smalltalk is like...man, I don't know how to explain it. It's like you can see everything in the program as you run it. It's a language for people want to explore and really understand how their code works. Object-oriented from the ground up, designed by the same people at ParcPlace that Jobs lifted all the Lisa and Macintosh stuff from for Apple.

It really is a cool fucking language, but no one uses it for programming anymore. Sucks, man.
>>
>>27407515
nah they'll have a bad experience with it and never use it again. thats why SE's are paid so much.

only cheap ass freelance people use foreign crap.
>>
>>27405979
Girl who hit wall hard and early, then started dating AIDS Skrillex.
>>
>>27405969
No you faggot, learn C first. It is an extremely powerful language and if you learn C, everything else is easier to learn. Even languages that are Object Oriented, such as C++ , Java or Python.

Don't be a pussy, if you can learn the fudamentals of C , you are on the right path.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.