[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All robots should read Infinite Jest. Prove me wrong. That
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: foster.png (253 KB, 496x496) Image search: [Google]
foster.png
253 KB, 496x496
All robots should read Infinite Jest.
Prove me wrong.
That's right, you can't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_Jest
>>
I started it; it's really strange and doesn't make much sense.

When does it start being about depression and make sense?
>>
File: images-8.jpg (13 KB, 324x454) Image search: [Google]
images-8.jpg
13 KB, 324x454
>>27398005
>>27398048
I started it last week but there's something that still feels off for me about how he writes. I'm no native speaker but I've read Shakespeare, Melville, Nabokov, Faulkner, etc., in english but really struggle with the way the sentences are constructed and follow each other.

Another good recommendation for this thread is Kokoro by Soseki.
>>
I don't know if it's really about depression as much as addiction and obsession and the various ways of coping with a compromised social identity.

It does explore the consequences of escapism, so I would have to agree with OP here.
>>
>>27398282
his writing style is what makes the book
he just gives off this intelligent, eccentric, offbeat vibe that i found endearing and wonderful
>>27398048
the book started making sense to me when i read the part about the guy who would kill people's pets, and like the way dfw wrote about it. the guy would kill a cat and then go "there." in the same way people smoke a cig and then go "there." or plop on a couch and then go "there." like that little fleeting blip of satisfaction and some of dfw's ideas about how drastically the pursuit of those moments where you say "there." shape our lives and who we are
i never actually finished the book i got to page like 700
>>
Infinite jest is a crap novel. Its overwritten and all of the footnotes and digressions are shallow and try hard.
>>
I found Frankenstein to be a more fitting book for this board. The poor creature was suffering so much and yet was really terrible. I could really identify with the monster.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.