[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uni/Career General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: sad pepe.jpg (43 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
sad pepe.jpg
43 KB, 612x612
Hey robots lets talk about our career/education and get advice because we dont know what we are doing.

Im graduating with an enviro health BA and have an option of doing a Masters of public adminstration, or masters of health information science at a good school.

Im thinking of doing this and seeing where we career can take me and probably do an MBA at a shitty school if i can't run good employment. Is an MBA worth it if it comes from a garbage program?

Im just not sure what to do with my life. Any robots in similar positions
>>
>>27397522

MBA is worth it from a garbage program if you plan to work for a government agency that upgrades your paygrade if you have a graduate degree. That's why so many teachers get their masters on University of Phoenix.
>>
>fell for the STEM CS meme
>bachelor's of CS
>75k debt
>no job in 2 years
>degree is already worthless
>>
File: gaucho.png (88 KB, 890x670) Image search: [Google]
gaucho.png
88 KB, 890x670
>>27397690

>those university coding skills
>>
>>27397720
return number.even?
Done. I'm not even a bad programmer.
>>
File: angry_frog_image.jpg (36 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
angry_frog_image.jpg
36 KB, 680x680
>>27397522
>waaa I'm a privileged enough to be in uni yet my life is sad
HOLY SHIT WHEN THE FUCK DID THIS BOARD TURN TO /SOC/
Ignore this all you want but if you go to any social grounds with people YOU ARE NOT A FUCKING ROBOT REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>get biology degree
>not smart enough to get into grad school
>not good enough to get into a decent job
>cant even get into a bottom of the barrel lab tech job
>end up making $10/hr part-time in some shitty random job
>unable to afford living alone so move back in with family
i feel like i'm stuck in life with no visible way out
>>
>>27397857
>i feel like i'm stuck in life with no visible way out

there's always a way out. sometimes that's the only comforting thought in the world.
>>
File: image.jpg (313 KB, 1913x1350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
313 KB, 1913x1350
>>27397644
I will never understand why people go to private for profits.

State schools are WAY cheaper and you can easily get into a third rate one with distance education.

Sure your degree will read southeast southern shit state, but it is 100x more impressive than "University of Pheonix" and about 1/2 the cost
>>
>>27397644
interesting i might do the MPA so and MBA could be complimentary

>>27397857
reinvent yourself, thats what im doing. maybe do an MPA or go to CC and become a mortgage broker (thats my last option)

had bad are your grades, if they are near a B+ options are open anon dont worry
>>
>>27397984
Real estate is everyone's backup career. It's basically high level sales lol
>>
>>27397984
i graduated with slightly below a 2.2 gpa
>>
>>27398090
So what? You can still get into a state 4 year, it will just be a cruddy program, but it's always more impressive than devry or u of Phoenix

Kansas state, chadron state, there are lots of 4 years with 100% or 90%+ acceptance rates that offer distance education
>>
>>27397780
uni is a meme friend

it may help us but at this moment we are lost

>>27398058
i figure this but i dont want to so this
>>27398090
thats bad but still CC will take you, look for post grad 1 yr programs
>>
ALSO hb an online MBA, does it matter? Are they a total may may. Could be nice if I could work on the side.
>>
File: 1458425297390.jpg (176 KB, 1107x1063) Image search: [Google]
1458425297390.jpg
176 KB, 1107x1063
>>27397690
Serious question. All you people who say you "fell for the STEM meme" how did you approach college and uni? Did you write code outside of college? Did you study on the weekends?

I can't shake the feeling that so many of you just go to your courses, do the required credits, then graduate and expect some 100k job. Or is the market for CS in the US already done, it seems so weird. Eurofag here.

My friend did a Master's, wrote software for a bank while still in uni, then immediately found a job and now he's one of these people who just shits cash out of his asshole. Can't say I'm not jelly.
>>
>>27398830
I've been programming since I was child, I love it. One of my first projects was an element editor for one of those falling sand games, and then adding enemies to the DOOM engine, shit like that.

Companies just weren't interested in me I guess, got good grades but internships never panned out, never got an interview after college. My degree is almost out of date since it's a CS degree, and I've been unemployed so long, it doesn't matter now.
>>
>>27398883
Sounds horrible. Sorry for these feels.
But then again your degree is not everything, I mean this is what we always talk about on r9k, you need to be able to masquerade as a normie because you never get hired by the departments directly but by these HR faggots.

I interned in an IT department and it was great, they liked me, I liked them. But HR didn't like me, apparently.

So what now? Indie dev?
>>
>>27398830
Employers in the U.S. keep screaming there is a shortage of CS graduates and what not. In reality there is far more than there are jobs available. Companies just say that say our government approves allowing more H1B visas. So now we have Pajeet working in the U.S. programming for close to minimum wage, and CS graduates are unemployed. And since companies keep screaming they need more graduates, the major gets ever more popular and diluted.
>>
File: 1451706499974.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1451706499974.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
>>27398883

yes... any more than 1 NEET year after getting your degree is the toxic kiss of death for CS majors.

Major in English and take a couple years to find yourself? Nobody gives a fuck. Try that with CS and you are fucked for life.
>>
>>27399011
>So what now? Indie dev?
Distribution Center job for minimum wage.
>>
>>27399024
>>27399047
Not trying to be edgy but this makes the US job market sound like a nightmare. Also why do companies only want CS people for writing software and such? You could become a good programmer without any formal education so it seems strange to waste a degree on it.

But now I get what "fell for the meme" means.
>>
>>27399165
>Also why do companies only want CS people for writing software and such?
HR departments tend to see CS as "only" programming. HR departments are also of the belief that University is the only place you can learn CS. They can be REALLY picky about it. Most CS jobs get over 100 applications with degrees in them. If you don't have a degree, a human most likely never reads your resume. It's just another one of the hoops you have to jump through to even get to a human that hires you. Like having previous experience.
>>
>>27397739
No you moron. It'd be %2 which would return 0 if case of an even number
>>
>>27399228
Yup totally share your sentiment on HR, see above. It's the same over here in ze old world. The last HR guy who interviewed me didn't know anything about the things he asked me about, I think the department just gave him a checklist with some buzzwords. When I can interview with the department people directly it's always better but still. HR makes the call.
>>
>>27397522
Taking Electronics at ITT. My Career is to make videogames or be an actor/make a good movie/Animation/President of the US/Police officer. I just want to either be helpful or either be remembered. And to have friends again.
>>
>>27399709

dat long list lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeH14bh6ciU
>>
>6th year senior (changed majors twice, wasted 2 years)
>need to apply for jobs
>procrastinate
>prof says I need to apply in autumn because that's their hiring season for my field
>procrastinate
>yesterday
>realize there are 9 weeks until I graduate and i have nothing
>panic
>apply to half a dozen places this morning
>panic, anxiety, stress, stress eating all day
>may be homeless in 3 months
>don't even know what city I'm going to
>normies all had internships and are moving right into permanency in "their company"
>I was too busy being depressed and sleeping 14 hours a day
>I can't even apply to local places or take advantage of the career fair because I fucking hate this state and would rather die than continue to live here
>only ever held one job before, for less than a year, and it was handed to me
>get stress about applying to jobs because I have never gotten a single call or interview from the hundreds of places I've applied to over the years

How fucked am I on a scale of fine to an hero?
>>
>>27399024
I looked on indeed in my state and within a 5 mile radius I see like twenty jobs for CS grads in computer/IT this muh economy sucks is such bullshit
if anything recent grads are fucked if they dont have experience which why would they? all these posting are 2-5 years in the field and so on
>>
>>27401192
You're a fucking idiot. US law states in order to get an H1B visa, a job opening has to be available to US workers for a certain amount of time. Yes they have openings, but they AREN'T OPEN TO YOU. They are there simply so the company can claim "oh there's no one taking this job opening which requires a degree and 7 years of experience! we need someone from India to fill the role".
>>
Well, brobots, i changed courses from electrical engineering to economics. I couldn't bring myself to like it, and i always found social sciences interesting. I think my new field is more suited for me. The problem is: i am now at the second year and soon i will start working. With STEM i could get a more technical job, but now i am probably going to an office and i have zero interpersonal skills. The normies are going to eat me alive, specially in a competitive environment. I've been thinking about shifting areas after graduation for something like statistics or trying to become an academic. Is there anyone with experience in this? I feel like there's no room for robots in this world. Pls halp.
>>
>>27402010

Go for finance/econ, pure econ is no jobs.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.