[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/uni/ general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10
File: 1449161637048.png (28 KB, 917x548) Image search: [Google]
1449161637048.png
28 KB, 917x548
Everyone wants one of these threads.
EE major checking in
>>
>>27397269
>Everyone wants one of these threads.
I don't
>>
When what will make you money, you're good at and also is the easiest combine it's better than doing what you love.
I ain't gonna make a living out of fapping but I happen to have a talent for academics.
>>
>>27397269
objectively correct tier list. Today OP wasn't a faggot

who /phil/ here?
>>
CPE

dropping calc I tomorrow because me and about 85% of the class failed :^)
>>
>>27397269
> loving gender studies
> god tier gender studies
Flawed logic detected
>>
>love math
>good at math
>300k starting
>math degrees are stupid easy when you're good at math
>dad studied math, grandpa has phd in math
get fucked non-math majors
>>
>>27397269
I love gender studies.
>>
>>27397426
300k?
In what, Yen?
>>
>>27397336
You're not doing what you love, just what sounded easiest.
>>
File: okkid.jpg (14 KB, 257x257) Image search: [Google]
okkid.jpg
14 KB, 257x257
>>27397486
how amazing that you managed to read my mind

tell me more about why i don't love philosohpy
>>
>tfw become cs major because muh jobs and muh money and muh nerd culture
>have a job which is meh.

Wish I had studied liberal arts. Wish I could have the talent to write a book.
>>
god tier reporting in

stem fags need not respond
>>
>god tier
>what you love
Yeah, what you "love".

What you "love" until the reality of what you "love" sets in.

Can anyone recommend an easy money making major? I'm going back to Uni and have to choose my major and minor soon, as soon as my debit card gets in I pay what I owe and go back.
>>
>>27397542
By the tone of your post I can confirm I was right.
I don't need to explain further. You explained it yourself. If you like philosophy so much you should be able to see why.
>>
>>27397603
That was about as good as a the scene in the New Star Wars where a random sand nigger slave girl uses Jedi Mind Tricks.

Just fuck my day up senpai I am still angry
>>
>>27397593
>easy cash for relatively smart people
engineering
>big cash for very smart people
medicine
>big cash for outgoing and determined chads
law
>easy cash for deadbeats
nursing
>300k starting
math
>>
>>27397376
not if you actually want to talk about gender studies stuff all the time, besides would you really want someone like that in *your autistic major here*'s classes?
>>
>>27397376
What do you love about the field?
>>
>>27397376
Well I mean if you love gender studies than I'd rather you follow that career path and end up with a low-paying entry-level job for the rest of your life than a career path that leads to actual responsibility and accountability.

In a way it removes the idiots from the job market.
>>
>>27397603
this replay is to notify you that this >>27397641 wasn't the guy you were already replying to, but I agree anyway

except I didn't see new start wars
>>
>>27397656
>medicine
Just stop. You have no idea how difficult this is, and the money only comes later in life. This makes me question your other recommendations.
>300k starting
math

k

Engineering is the only non-meme thing on that list. I've worked in hospitals before. Not easy cash at all. Its for people who fell for the meme. Law is even worse 80+ hour work weeks and lots of drug abuse among students and colleagues in the field, even my old friend now a jewish lawyer had to go to therapy, popping too much addy and snorting too many lines.
>>
Who journalism here? Can't wait to finish my major and go off to Syria and maybe not get killed, but I'm seriously alright with death, in fact I welcome it.
>>
>>27397736
The actress is a slave girl from age 5 then she flies the millenium falcom with a nigger to han solos new ship then gets captured or something by the Nazis then she uses Jedi mind tricks to escape because her dad is luke so "Lol it makes sense now" I am going to go full aurora at the next movie
>>
File: 157[1].jpg (104 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
157[1].jpg
104 KB, 803x688
>mfw I majored in economics thinking it'd make me money
>mfw I got nowhere with my bachelor's in economics so now I'm in a master's program in economics
>mfw all I really wanted to do was go into political science but my parent's convinced me that it'd go nowhere.
>>
File: fastest growing occupations.png (72 KB, 964x861) Image search: [Google]
fastest growing occupations.png
72 KB, 964x861
who /statistics/ here?
>>
>>27397426
>300k starting
Lmao
>>
>>27397813
>Fastest growing
>2014
>%

This chart is useless
>>
>>27397770
>you have no idea how difficult this is
>very smart people
i do anon
i never said it was easy, i said it was big money for very smart people, meaning also people who are extremely dead-set on doing medicine and willing to put themselves 200k in debt and giving up half their life to get there
in the end you make big cash though, nobody can deny that
>>
File: thanks obama.png (25 KB, 614x314) Image search: [Google]
thanks obama.png
25 KB, 614x314
>>27397837
Would you rather it be fastest growing in terms of new jobs estimated to be created during that period? That would be even less informative. Shit like fast food servers would be at the top of the list.

And you can see the absolute number for each of these by clicking on the links.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/fastest-growing.htm
>>
File: 1458687195904.jpg (36 KB, 236x177) Image search: [Google]
1458687195904.jpg
36 KB, 236x177
>>27397269
Finally an accurate chart
Currently half way through my creative communications degree
>Tfw paid internship at a news studio as of May
>>
>>27397813
>you'll never be a genetic counselor
>>
>>27397269
Astrophysics in cosmology. God-tier, High-tier and also shit-tier.
>>
>>27397890
Yes absolute numbers are way better, you would know as a good statistician. Smaller nigger jobs like wind turbine technician only had 100 jobs in the first place. 108% doesn't mean anything.

And yes shitty wage jobs should be at the top because that is the truth
>>
>>27398055
Do your own analysis then, autist. The data is all right here:

http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_table_102.htm

Nobody is saying to go be a wind-turbine technician anyway.
>>
File: CdsqyocWEAA3tH-.jpg (32 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
CdsqyocWEAA3tH-.jpg
32 KB, 720x720
>tfw psychology major
>tfw genuinely want to help people
>tfw everyone just pushes me away for openly trying to comfort someone or help them through any mental issues they have

No wonder mental health is so fucked in this country. Half of you pussies freak out the second someone offers a helping hand.
>>
>>27397426
Do Phys
35Mil starting
Phys easy when you find it easy :^) :^)
Dad was Isaac Newton and Grand father Dirac
hahah suc it maffs
>>
>>27398177
Yes because in a society were you always have to be the best and were crying is for pussies, no one wants to be weak and ask for help
>>
Who here CS?
First year here, did C and C++, will do SQL and Java next, any tips from people with experience in the field?
Also if you become turbo with social and leadership skills can you advance quicker than the autists on the corporate ladder?
>>
>>27398351
Kill yourself that major will be flooded with code monkeys by the time you graduate.
>>
>>27397269
According to that I did a shit tier degree but it pays the bills and I don't really have any desire to do anything in particular so I wouldn't have picked one on my own.
>>
>>27398351
Java is a waste of time, don't do it.
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 409x409
Early childhood education

I am in for a life of debt and poverty. But at least I only need an AA
>>
>>27398411
I must because it's gonna be my module
>>27398376
Isn't it already? I try to raise above the monkeys/autists by working on my social skills and ability to work with people and shit
What are you studying?
>>
Is anyone else here in geography?
>>
>>27397269
What if I picked something because it sounded easy, then realized I love it and I am good at it too, but it will never make me any money?
>>
>>27398663
Isn't that just studying maps? Don't we have gps devices now?

Explain yourself
>>
>tfw have 5 assignments and an essay to do before the break is over
And revision, bit fucked desu senpai

Lack of motivation and procrastination is a bitch
>>
File: 1458936488435.png (56 KB, 1258x548) Image search: [Google]
1458936488435.png
56 KB, 1258x548
What now you cuck?
>>
>>27398760
This is me but I don't really love or hate medicine and I know it didn't sound the easiest but I was too lazy to try and argue against what my parents wanted me to do (and also, don't really want to do anything).
>>
>>27397542
listening to weird fishes rn desu
>>
File: 1418678528749.jpg (157 KB, 895x669) Image search: [Google]
1418678528749.jpg
157 KB, 895x669
>What you're good at
>What sounded easiest
Is this not the same thing?

Did Mathematics because it was what I was half decent at and I enjoy numbers. Done shit all with it after graduating so far though.
>>
>>27398804
Me too desu. Don't really love anything. But it definitely did sound like the easiest thing that would make me lots of money at the time. Little did I know.
>>
>>27398815
Not the same thing because even though I'm good at my field I could easily switch to some hugbox major like women's studies and get straight A's for spewing garbage.
>>
>>27398760
you do medicine probably.
>>
>>27398899
The reason I didn't go against it was because I know job security is pretty high and starting wage is usually above average wherever you are.

People moan that it's hard work and that it buggers their relationship and social life but I already don't have a great social life and have never had a relationship so I don't care, I'd live in the hospital out of convenience if they would let me. The work can be a bit difficult at times but when you get the hang of it roughly everything becomes quite second nature.

Aim is to be an orthopaedic surgeon and make big money privately but there's a good chance I might be dead before that happens with the way things are going now. Still, could be worse.
>>
>>27398177
Don't act like you can help mentally ill people you idealistic piece of psychology shit. Nobody wants help from a freshman who thinks he can analyze everything.
>>
>>27399057
>Aim is to be an orthopaedic surgeon

Are you still a student?

>there's a good chance I might be dead before that happens

Why do you say that anon?
>>
>>27399284
>freshman

I'm a fucking junior you cuck.

Stop getting pissy any time someone wants to stop you from just sitting in a corner and licking your wounds and crying about it.

Sometimes I wish I had listened to my family and gone to school for business. Half of you people are just ruining my fucking mood.
>>
>>27397809
I'm picking in a week and I love politics but've been ushered by my parents into going with Econ. Is it really that bad? The graduate average salaries look good.
>>
>>27399352
Nah I graduated in 2014 and managed to get a surgical training post. If I don't fuck around after 2 years I can start calling myself an orthopaedic surgeon but I'll still be a junior registrar. The next two years of my training are 18 months of trauma and orthopaedics and 6 months of neuosurgery to round it off (hopefully I'll see some decent spinal surgery there).

And I said that because the average age of consultants keeps going up with more and more competition to get into registrar training and then even more at consultant level. At the stage I just applied for around 1000 applicants in the country applied for surgery and after interviews 824 got ranked in order to compete for 508 jobs nationally (which is less than the number of jobs offered for last year). It isn't really that stiff competition when you look at it but for my career path it's the easiest it will be excluding directly getting a job after graduating.

I'm working in fucking psychiatry of all things right now because of the way our training programme is in the first two years after graduating and have 4 months of general medicine after that but then no more medicine/not surgery jobs ever.
>>
>>27399480
What country do you live in? I'm pretty sure things don't work that way in burgerland
>>
>bullied by parents and /biz/ into picking "realistic" majors
>4 years of college before I finally gave them the finger and settled with political science
I tried. I really did. I tried engineering, I tried teaching, I tried business, but the whole time I felt miserable and worthless. I can't compete in a field where I hate waking up in the morning. With a political science degree, sure I'm stressed about my future, but at least I'm not stressed about tomorrow too.
>>
>>27399577
England. I have no idea how the US system works at all, not even sure what their med student years are like.
>>
>>27397376
>year 2030
>SJW federation declare gender study degrees mandatory
>everyone who didnt take them now have to waste 3 yrs of their lives
>gender studies teachers are amongst the worlds richest
Who's laughing now you faggot nigger retard?
>>
>>27399828
>who's laughing now
Satan.
>>
>>27399700
4 years undergrad in any major as long as you take the required prerequisite courses
2 years medical basic sciences
2 years clinical rotations

Then we match into a desired specialty for a residency. Usually for any residency, it's a year of internship rotating through different fields that are at least somewhat relevant to your specialty and after that you pretty much do nothing outside of your field until the end. Orthopedics is 5 years total post grad
>>
>>27397770
>spend all day doing drugs and fucking Stacy receptionists
>get paid a shit ton of money
Why is law bad again?
>>
>>27399891
Right. So it takes the full 8 years to be able to call yourself a doctor is it?

For us it's 5 years of medical (usually split into pre-clinical and clinical years) and then you graduate and can call yourself Dr. Then there's 2 years of foundation training which is 6 jobs of four months in length in a mix of surgery, medicine and one job in the community (GP or psych). After that you apply to core training which is split up into medicine, surgery, anaesthetics and GP and core training takes 2 years. For surgery you can apply for a themed job, so a 2 year set of jobs but with more focus on one type of surgery. After core traning you apply for registrar posts which is where you do the speciality you want to do forever and the training is meant to be 5-6 years but can take much longer, especially in surgery. Finally after that you're a consultant, the big boss. GP training programme is the shortest, after 2 years foundation training and 3 years of core training in GP you are a full time GP.
>>
>>27398351
>Computer science
Unless you want to get a masters and teach it's better to go into info tech/systems, telecommunications or business administration.

>>27398351
>you advance quicker than the autists on the corporate ladder?

Yea, so you better git good with communicating with people.
>>
It turns out I only love something if it doesn't involve anything but my own interests, and the quality of my work goes down as soon as it does not involve my niche.

I used to casually program until I took CS classes, and then I lost all taste for it.

I did "what I loved", History, only to find out that I hate reading and applying material outside my areas of interests.

Even easy things, like introductory microeconomics, become completely dull and unengaging when scheduling and testing are involved.

I never really had aspirations in the first place, to be honest. I just want to be distracted.
>>
What tier am I if I majored in CS because I'm good at it, it will make me money, and because I find it easy?
>>
>>27400118
Same. I can't think of anything that I would like to do as a job. So I picked something secure to study in. I hate studying though and am lazy as fuck. I hope this doesn't backfire on me
>>
>>27399895
>>spend all day doing drugs and fucking Stacy receptionists
>>get paid a shit ton of money
>Why is law bad again?

You are assuming that a robot changes in the process.

>spend all day doing drugs and fucking Stacy receptionists
The only drug I do is adderall, because I spend 8-10 hours researching and constructing shit which has no impact on my life.

>get paid a shit ton of money
Would you call "$50k including overtime" a shit ton of money?

t. Robot paralegal in business firm
>>
>>27400118
I've realized I hate "school". Most of schooling I never really took it seriously, it was a place I went to learn stuff and make friends. Once you realize you can't write more then 4 pages or read more then 20 pages of a textbook before you get bored it's like a punch in the gut.

Even if I did practice and try again and again, I would be in college forever and I don't have money to burn either.
>>
>>27398760
>
there is no way medicine sounded the easiest

>>27398808
>tfw I don't actually listen to radiohead
>>
>>27399433
>Half of you people are just ruining my fucking mood.

Damn son, I guess you shouldn't go into psychology then.

There's I/O psych if you don't to deal with autists and psychos all day.
>>
>>27400353
Looking into I/O desu
>>
>>27397269
Undergrad: Biochem/chemistry
Graduate: Medical school
>>
>>27397269
why call it 'uni' like a brit but 'major' like an american
>>
I am a 32 year old male and a nursing major.

One day I will get my first gf and finally graduate from both my nursing program and robothood.
>>
>>27401137
You may graduate, but you will still be >tf when no gf. Being a robot isn't something you outgrow, especially at 32
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.