[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it mediocre to want to live a simple life ? I know I won't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 11
File: mjVFo6c.jpg (276 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
mjVFo6c.jpg
276 KB, 1280x688
Is it mediocre to want to live a simple life ?

I know I won't achieve anything great and I won't live long enough to do everything I'd possibly want to, so I might as well just enjoy the most simple things.
>>
>>27393309
Not really, no. A "simple life" is becoming hard as nails to achieve lately.
>>
>>27393317
I guess, but wouldn't it be seen as a waste of time by anyone else ?
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 400x466) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 400x466
I basically want the hank hill lifestyle
>>
>>27393362
> This

That's exactly my point
>>
I just want to read all day in my own library.
>>
File: 49.jpg (18 KB, 500x284) Image search: [Google]
49.jpg
18 KB, 500x284
>>27393309

>tfw no cottage in the middle of a peaceful elysian meadow alone in the mountains
>>
>>27393362
tfw you'll never live in a comfy home with your wife and son
tfw you'll never come home from an easy day at work and drink beer with your buddies until the sun sets
>>
File: 1436122184629.jpg (677 KB, 1920x1111) Image search: [Google]
1436122184629.jpg
677 KB, 1920x1111
>>27393309
What's wrong with living a simple life, anon? I'm trying to do the same thing.

I'll try to find the screencap of a post that describes your fear, give me a minute.
>>
File: 2.png (788 KB, 800x599) Image search: [Google]
2.png
788 KB, 800x599
>>27393309
I just want a simple life with someone who I'm comfortable being around
>>
>>27393428
Then why aren't you reading right now?
>>
File: 1448304849419.jpg (261 KB, 1270x418) Image search: [Google]
1448304849419.jpg
261 KB, 1270x418
Oh, here it is.

tl;dr, the idea was drilled into your head that you should be a rock star or an astronaut, or else. And then reality slaps you awake and you're confused. Kind of like that Tyler Durden like in fight club, you know the one.

A few centuries ago you would just wake up, go harvest potatoes with your dad and brother, eat, sleep, fuck the neighbor's daughter, marry her, build a house, have kids, die, rince & repeat.

There are a lot more people than before. Everyone can't be Steve Jobs.

But even Steve Jobs, for all his fame, glory and success, where is he now? Six feet under.

So, no, you drinking your tea on the porch while reading a comfy book isn't disappointing or a waste of time or whatever, provided that it is what you really want to do.

Associated reading: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/On_the_shortness_of_life
>>
File: Rich_Kawaii.webm (94 KB, 720x406) Image search: [Google]
Rich_Kawaii.webm
94 KB, 720x406
>>27393592
I thought I'd pop on here before I start.
>>
>>27393317
This. Most people would be satisfied by a simple life, but there are too many distractions and too many choices.

>>27393309
Most people don't achieve anything great. Even the people who do probably want their daily lives to be 'simple.'

At the risk of sounding like a shitty self-help book, your opinion on whether your ambitions are 'mediocre' or not is all that matters. It's your life. Read Walden or something.
>>
>>27393309
>>27393709
One more thing. Your OP made it sound like you want to choose a simple life because you won't be able to achieve what you really want to achieve. It's OK to want a simple life, but if you actually want more, then yes I would say it's mediocre to settle.
>>
>>27393309
What is great for you isn't great for other people. The truth is that you have been conditioned to think that values like greatness and marrying with roast and having the best video game in the world, or being a chad with the best sporting car are everything a man should achieve and that's not true unless you want it to be. In reality this sort of mental conditioning causes people to become poor and foolish and end up at age 60 working at some grocery store in a poluted urban center and thinking "That's not what I wanted for my life I wish I was doing something good."

Release yourself of the chains! You are no slave. You are the owner of yourself. Say that you don't want to put up with the BS. Get some seeds and make a farm somewhere. Hunt down the fishes. Nature gives everything you need for free. You can live the way you want.
>>
>>27393623
Shit i thought about this recently. We lay on our couches and feel guilty because we're not doing enough. We go to bed disatisfied. We see a rockstar playing a solo on stage and then we look at our guitar in the corner of our room.
Everyone was told we were special. I know were i'm from, post-highschool hit us all like a brick.

I'm wondering why i even need to be anything. I like to think that i am not a part of this world, that i am just an observer. But really i am a direct product of modern society. Not saying i have it bad, i'm just bored.
>>
File: 1444340653271.jpg (88 KB, 500x672) Image search: [Google]
1444340653271.jpg
88 KB, 500x672
the post-industrial world totally blows

From the point of view of a thousand years ago, we're literally living in an absurdist, bizaro futurescape

I'm glad I won't be alive for the next 1000
>>
>you want to live a stationary, simple life
>every single woman wants to travel, fuck ethnic Chads, cruise around on yachts and do luxurious shit 24/7, basically consume resources for fun

they wanna travel and see this hell hole we live on.
>>
>>27394512
they don't really want that, they just think they're supposed to because the people who make money off of all of that told them to
>>
>>27394568
>tfw normies are ravaging the earth and making us all live miserable overworked lives despite having abundant resources just so they can travel to a generic holiday destination and be slightly amused by a few minor differences in the culture there
>'you wouldn't understand unless you've done it'
>>
Just remember to help others, anon.
>>
I would be very happy to just settle down on a farm or go innawoods if I had a wife. I can't handle modern society at all, it's too alienating and confusing. But then I'm also a kissless virgin so it's not like I have much hope of doing anything.

>>27394449
This. The last 200 years have seen society change at a ridiculous rate. I suspect a lot of people's mental problems stem from being unable to cope with the demands of modern life.
>>
File: sdg.png (77 KB, 542x535) Image search: [Google]
sdg.png
77 KB, 542x535
When I was a kid I didn't feel like I wasn't living life how I'm "supposed" to. I was happy then.

It's all fucking spooks
>>
>>27394148
I think even our parents were sold the idea that their kids would all be astronauts and pro footballers and CEOs or something. Hence the "do what you want and money will follow" attitude, the "you need a degree" concept. And the subsequent disappointments.
>>
nope, nothing wrong with wanting simplicity. I want it but have no clue where to even begin. I'd be perfectly fine working on a goddamm farm raising a family.
>>
File: 1431765903425.jpg (230 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1431765903425.jpg
230 KB, 1024x576
I just want a comfy home and economic security. These are the two ingredients to happiness for me, but I'm scared that in today's economy and society I won't even be able to fulfill those two objectives.
>>
File: 1456600056594.jpg (127 KB, 736x544) Image search: [Google]
1456600056594.jpg
127 KB, 736x544
>>27396158
Same, same, same and same.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.