[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a God, /r9k/? Do you believe in an afterlife?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: 1458813956054.jpg (26 KB, 243x207) Image search: [Google]
1458813956054.jpg
26 KB, 243x207
Is there a God, /r9k/? Do you believe in an afterlife?
>>
>>27392583
Yea

And yea
>>
I'm a christian so yeah
>>
>>27392583
Yes of course. People actually think atheism is rational.. in 2016..
>>
>>27392583
No there isn`t one and there also is no afterlife. Ofc i can`t be sure but be honest, what lead you to believe there is one in the first place. Religions are hust huge out of controll memes that spread through the indoctrination of kids. People that become religious later in their lives (when raised not religious) are normally just acquiring the mild mental illness of having a special imaginary friend to cope with their problems. Religion is perfectly fine desu and a lot of people actually need spiritualism in their life and relgion fills that void in them but as someone interested in exploring the real character of the world religion stands in the way.
>>
No, religion is a meme sort of like Santa and other behavioral fairytales
>>
>>27392583
Probably, but how does it changes anything? As above so below. Chad had an easy life here and will have an easy life there. We were tortured here, it most likely won't stop.
>>
File: L88mBul.jpg (47 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
L88mBul.jpg
47 KB, 400x300
>>27392583
Nah
No
>>
>tfw believe in ghosts because I've felt them

There are two possible reasons for this
>ghosts are real
>I'm batshit crazy
Either way I believe so it's not like it matters which one is correct
Makes you think though
>>
File: py4Oa2i.jpg (59 KB, 504x720) Image search: [Google]
py4Oa2i.jpg
59 KB, 504x720
No and no.
>current year
>being religious
>>
>>27393132
>atheism
>0+0=1

Wew lad
Don't forget your fedora on the way out
>>
File: 1458411385683.jpg (43 KB, 582x741) Image search: [Google]
1458411385683.jpg
43 KB, 582x741
>>27393171
>le epic fedora meme
Boy you sure showed me with those proofs that god exists
>>
I believe there is one.

It would be sacrilegious to say he enjoys watching me suffer, and I don't think that. However I do feel He's made things harder than I would have liked. He's not taking away my depression even though he's cured plenty of other people of it.
>>
>>27393207
The people who "god" cured are most likely atheistic or agnostic
What god would cure non-believers but allow you, a believer, to suffer?
>>
>>27392583
The human race should be wiped off the face of earth.
>>
File: 1456881104968.jpg (589 KB, 1920x886) Image search: [Google]
1456881104968.jpg
589 KB, 1920x886
I believe in afterlife, but not in the sense that organized religion believes.

I don't believe that our souls, our spirits, or whatever you want to call it, are permanent. Meaning, I don't think that you live on as the person you are now for all eternity.

I think of how our universe is infinite, how matter cannot be created nor destroyed, and how everything, our bodies, our food, even stuff like plastic given enough time, degrade, decompose, and are recycled into our environment.

I think that our spirits are recycled into future generations. Not necessary a 1 for 1 deal like traditional reincarnation. I think bits and pieces go into a person. Say, 1/4 of my soul is mixed together with 1/8 of someone else's soul, 1/2 of another spirit, and 3/8 of someone's life force, all repurposed into a new life.

Life is eternal, but we don't experience it as one long singular existence. We don't remember the past lives of those who made up who we are.

As for some kind of creator, I don't know. I'm open to the idea.
>>
>>27392583
Why would anyone believe in God anyway?

And try not to answer with Pascal's wager or "because it want it to be true."
>>
>>27392583
I haven't seen any compelling evidence that there is

It sure seems like we are just self replicating proteins on the crust of a damp rock in space, and it's a nice place to live but there's nothing cosmically special about us or even our galaxy

Plus the fact that there is more than one religion means they can't all be right, but they could all be wrong. It all checks out from my perspective. Just enjoy the ride while you're here. Live for this life that you already have for sure, not an unpromisable afterlife.
>>
>>27393492
Many people live in third world shitholes where education isn't up to our standard.
I would probably believe in god had i not received the education I did or grown up in a religious community.
>>
>>27392583
I believe in a god. As in. There's something out there a lot more powerful then us it doesn't matter if it created us or not though, we should be afraid of meeting it. A god would not look kindly of humans who make many mistakes, instead it'll see how we manipulate each other, destroy the earth from whence we came and finally, destroy other species without too much care. Do you really think such a powerful being would want to keep us alive?
>>
File: 1457375007320.jpg (79 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
1457375007320.jpg
79 KB, 500x628
>they don't know the universe is god
>they think death exists
Fucking brainwashed plebs i bet you think you're intelligent for not believing in a bright flying monster
>>
Anyone else ostensibly agnostic/non-religious, but then pray and have positive life events happen, then develop some vague relationship with "god" whereby you agree to believe in him if he keeps the good stuff coming?
>TFW massive cognitive dissonance
>>
>>27393786
Same senpai
>pray as I hit the submit button on a test
>96
>this God guy is alright!
>pray as the lottery numbers are called off
>Atheist again
>>
>>27393760

>A god would not look kindly of humans who make many mistakes

But how could he judge us? We're only following our genetics and conditioning.

We always make the decisions that seem right, at the time.
>>
>>27392583
>Is there a God, /r9k/?
No clue. Do I think there's a higher being watching over us? Probably.

>Do you believe in an afterlife?
It's possible that there's a state of existence in which we are aware, after this one. I'm not saying its the christian one though.
>>
>>27393760
You mean an advanced alien species? I mean we've only been advancing as a species the past 10,000 years, how powerful would a 5,000,000 year species be in comparison?
>>
>>27393511
This.

It actually makes sense.
For the most part of human history, humans have been largely uneducated, which explains why religion has spread so widely and has lasted so long.

I mean out of the thousands of years humans have been alive, we only started questioning religion 100 years ago.
>>
>>27393811
As far as I can say, it's in a sentient beings behavior to question or judge. A god would be literally us but stronger, they may think "it is the right decision to kill these savages as they may threaten my own existence." if it created us though, maybe not.

>>27393833
Possibly. I was thinking more in line with a single being though. It would entirely depend on the culture of that species on how it would treat an inferior world.
>>
I believe the spark of life had to come from something beyond us. If there is a god, I don't think he is a man in the sky watching us to judge oir actions. There is a song by Scroobius Pip called ' A Letter from God to Man" and there is a line that sums up my view pretty well:
>I wasn't the creator, but more like the curator of nature
>>
Existance (as in the universe) in itself is god. It has no origin or explanation. It exists because non-existance itself is a form of existance. You can't get behind that with human logic. We are because we are.
>>
Reminder that human religion is bounded by human logic and is therefore false. We wouldn't be able to understand the existence of a god.
>>
>>27393196
are you implying you have proof that god doesn't exist?
>>
>>27393892
>You can't get behind that with human logic
of course not, its paradoxical.

>It exists because non-existance itself is a form of existence
Or because if nothing ever existed,then nothing could ever be created, therefore existence must have always existed.
>>
>>27393917
Are you implying you have proof my invisible unicorn doesn't exist?
>>
humans trying to understand god is like an ant trying to understand microbiology.

it wouldn't ever remotely grasp the concept, not even after a billion years.(and ants have probably been around for billions of years)
>>
>>27393928
By existance I mean the whole system that allows the existance/nonexistance dynamic
>>
>>27392583
I wouldn't care even if there was one, life would still be meaningless
>>
>>27393941
There's no need for a unicorn to exist faggot. Try again
>>
File: A HOONTAH.gif (70 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
A HOONTAH.gif
70 KB, 500x450
who here wants to /kill god/?
>>
>>27393962
then kill yourself already if its so meaningless.

but nah, you'd rather sit on your fat ass, probably from a 1st world country from a middle income white privilege family, and just shitpost on r9k.
>>
>>27394012
He's full of shit anon.
>>
It's always tickled me the idea that an omnipotent being capable of creating and destroying entire vast universes would honestly be insecure and petty enough to require worship and reassurance or he'll throw a tantrum.
>>
>>27394040
Does this mean that if there is a god they must be a woman?
>>
I believe in duality of body in mind, i.e. there is a metaphysical universe linked with this one where our consciousness sits. This world can explain how we are able to experience it, sure - but it seems to me the essence of that experience has to lie somewhere.

It's actually a popular scientific and philosophical belief that there is a universe containing our conscious experience, though some scientists believe that is the sole nature of existence, that there is no physical universe aside from what is a byproduct of our conscious experience.

When you look at the origin of the universe, it seems to our human comprehension that there must have be something eternal, be that eternal matter/energy, a singularity, or consciousness, from which everything else was created. I feel like any of those are equally likely with our current understanding.
>>
>>27393947
>and ants have probably been around for billions of years
Not quite, genius.
>Humans are dumb meme
As far as your metaphor goes, ants, like all animals follow chemical cues and physical stimuli that dynamically shape their behaviour and decisions while accomplishing their primary goals (nesting, feeding, reproduction, defence). They don't have the neural complexity for consciousness, unlike us. The shit you're spouting is the age old banter of the priest,"Hast thou an arm like God? or canst thou thunder with a voice like him?"
>>
>>27393298
How much Evola have you been reading?
>>
>>27392583
>Don't know
>Of course no
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.