[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here liked the revenant? What did you guys think about it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: revenant-tom-hardy.jpg (22 KB, 620x334) Image search: [Google]
revenant-tom-hardy.jpg
22 KB, 620x334
Who here liked the revenant? What did you guys think about it?
>>
File: 1457004295825.png (30 KB, 450x366) Image search: [Google]
1457004295825.png
30 KB, 450x366
>>27387614
It was a pretty good movie. Only thing I disliked were the dream sequences that provided only a little bit to the plot, were often vague as fuck and reminded me of sleeping in Elder Scrolls games where you'd regenerate health, as Leo would be slightly stronger after each time he slept.

Glad he finally got his Oscar, but it wouldn't be the movie I would have awarded him one.

Probably won't rewatch it ever.

Now, The Aviator, that's my favorite Leo movie.
>>
>>27387776
The dream sequences was him passing into the spirit world to see his son and know what needs to be done.
>>
File: 1421955374898.jpg (50 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1421955374898.jpg
50 KB, 540x540
>>27388167
I'm not saying there wasn't anything to them at all, but they were largely useless and came off as a the director trying to be 2edgy4u.

If I were to rewatch the movie, I would skip every single one of them.

The only one that wasn't completely irrelevant or trying to be deep and edgy was the one where it's him(?, sorry, was drunk when I saw it) as a soldier holding onto who is presumably his babby momma while his fellow soldiers rape/ransack the village. Even then, it's only just trivial as it serves very little to further the plot.

I think I need to say this again, I really enjoyed the movie, but those dream sequences were entirely unnecessary.
>>
Technically I'd go so far as to call it a masterpiece, but the plot felt lacking and it was hard to really care about what was going on.
Tom Hardy's performance was great.
The two action sequences at the beginning and end were some of the best I can recall seeing in any movie.
I'd give it a solid 8/10.
>>
>>27387614
great thanks mostly to tom hardy. It would have been forgettable without him. Leo was boring af
>>
beautiful cinematography. That alone is pretty much the reason I went to see it in a theatre by myself.
As for the movie/plot, I enjoyed it. Combat sequences were really well done.

I only wish someone would come up with a way to make CG animals look real when they move around, especially things like Bison or horses. The bison didn't move realistically at all. Idk why that's so hard for animators to get right.
>>
It was pretty good but fuck the ending and fuck the fake animals
>>
One of the best horror comedies i've seen
>>
Good film but not very realistic tbqh. Guy never got frostbite and magically managed to light fires all the time. Also i thought it was a bit over the top at times
>>
Pretty good. I liked it a lot. Tom Hardy was so, so fucking amazing.

While leo's recovery over the course of the film was probably unrealistically fast, I enjoyed that he was pretty fucking rekt for most of it and wasn't like "grr imma walk this shit off" immediately.

Dream scene would have been fine, like...once. They didn't make me feel for him or his loss because they didn't make me care about his wife.

Didn't like the fake fucking snow in the first 1/2 of the movie or more. Didn't like the fake animals. Bear was especially cringe. I get that to maintain the kind of camerawork they were using, they couldn't do burryaction.webm interspersed with shots of a trained bear, but it looked really fucking bad. Ditto on the bison/wolves. Didn't really see the point of leo not killing hardy when he knew the injun was going to kill him.
>>
>>27388801

True. and he's fucking in the water ALL THE TIME and it's never really a problem..
>>
>>27388447
You mean the bear? Don't know what your talking about mate that was the best scene in the whole movie
>>
>>27388381
This. Technical masterpiece but the storyline was really hollow, nothing much to it, and the overall pacing was not perfectly managed.
Also, the ending makes no sense at all
>>
File: GYURYjr.jpg (286 KB, 1181x786) Image search: [Google]
GYURYjr.jpg
286 KB, 1181x786
The cinematography was gorgeous. Didn't care for the storyline but Emmanuel Lubezki's work on this movie pretty much carried the entire film in terms of it's strengths.
>>
the dream sequences where a little out of place and almost "not trippy enough' for a dream sequence. Though I'm pretty sure that the actual account mentioned them since Glass was getting pretty serious "third man effect" from the ordeal so it is hard for to say they should have been omitted, but they could have been don/integrated better.

the combat and nature bits I thought were outstanding. And that new type of film format they used was just stunning to look at. ?tv/ gives it shit because it is just an action movie with a bit of nature shit thrown in. Yeah it isn't super deep and isn't super innovative in terms of cinema as a whole, but I would really like to see action/war/survival movies to take themselves a bit more seriously and be a little more out there and slower paced. It was refreshing or its genre.

the part where he gets in the water and then didn't take his clothes off after/got in the water at all triggered me a tho.
>>
>>27387614

It was enjoyable ride but that was it. Pretty scenes, nice acting, but after it finished I felt like it lacked something that would have made it great.
>>
>>27388909
I read he shot with natural lighting, not only that but he shot scenes in one take, like birdman. Can you imagine being an extra and fucking up and not only forcing a reshoot, but having to wait until the next day because the light window the director wanted went away?
>>
>>27388839
maybe if you have a bad opinion
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.