[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Extremes in conversation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1457101619906.jpg (436 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1457101619906.jpg
436 KB, 1920x1200
I'm finding it hard to figure out exactly how to phrase this, but has anyone else noticed the societal increase in things such as hyperbole in arguments and general conversation (at least in the USA)?
I've anecdotally noticed this not just in casual conversation but also in things like politics and other major issues.
I am mostly just wondering what the thoughts of anons are because I see it online practically everywhere.
>>
You mean like everything just seems like it's becoming increasingly ridiculous as time goes on?

If so then yeah I know what you mean
If not I'm not sure
>>
>>27385906
I've noticed it too. It's like we've had an arm's race to use the most impressive adjectives and adverbs. People are using words without thinking about their literal meanings. I'm guilty of it too.
>>
>>27385906
>anecdot-e-al etc

That fucking word. For an entire week I couldn't escape it.
>>
>>27385947
Well that's part of what I'm getting at.

I just often feel like there are divisions and every side takes themselves to their extremes without first wondering if what they think is right is actually right.

>>27385973

This is also what I mean. I've seen people talking in extremes more and more often without regard to what they actually are trying to get at. There just seem to be huge assumptions made in most conversations that we all know what exactly we're getting at.
I know I'm guilty of it as well, it's just easy.
>>
>>27385973
Oh yeah if this is what OP means I do this all the time, and have noticed others doing it too sometimes.

Sometimes it's just easier to phrase things using those kinds of words, for me at least. Like it would actually require an additional thought process for me to translate what I'm saying into something that doesn't sound like that.

Maybe people are becoming more articulate in general, but it still looks silly to the average observer?
>>
>>27386010
Just trying to use it the best I can.
>>
>>27386030
>>27386045
I'm not super into the current state of the language. Is there a way to reverse this?
>>
>>27386045
I've always found that if I continue to speak in a manner that requires that I have a wider vocabulary I can articulate my point far better and faster and with less repeating than I could by simplifying what I'm saying an making assumptions.
>>
>>27386111
I don't know if there is a way. It appears as though English-speakers continue to find ways to not only shorten words but also thoughts and ideas. It looks like we continue to move in that direction with the wide-spread use of things like emoji.
The only way I can see people moving in to more complicated forms of communication is if they find some satisfaction in doing so.
>>
File: 1449688583578.jpg (797 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449688583578.jpg
797 KB, 1920x1080
I have to wonder though, if we use hyperbole so frequently does that have an effect on our ability to take other people seriously? I can't seem to take what people say at face value as often as I used to, and it's become exceedingly hard to find reasons to care about what most people talk about when it all sounds so similar and with little nuance.
>>
>>27386293
I know I have a problem where, when I'm arguing with someone, if they seem to be coming from a particular angle, I sort of roll my eyes and assume I know exactly what to expect and what they're going to say. Or irl, when someone expresses a particular opinion, it's like oh geez one of these guys, I think I know -exactly- why they're programmed to be this way and exactly what other ideas they subscribe to just be often being related to that one opinion. It's like everyone is parroting one another and we're all just broken records. But truthfully this is mostly just assumption.

I don't say anything of course, because I could be wrong, but it's still my internal reaction sort of.

But yeah, when people all talk the same way it's like you can't help but feel the death of individuality and the freshness that comes with it on some level.

The hive nips most of us up while we're growing up I guess.

Has anyone else noticed that just being in this thread makes you want to be as verbose as possible?
>>
>>27386403
OP I dont think think this is unique to our generation. This has always been the case.
>>
>>27386403
I understand what you're getting at, and I do the same thing. It seems as though not many people actually take the time for some self refection, and really try to understand why they do things the way they do.

>>27386472
You are more than likely right, and maybe this is just a revelation to me simply because of the huge amount of exposure to average people across the States due to social networks.
>>
>>27386403
It's a good feeling though, isn't it?
>>
File: 1261815607818.gif (389 KB, 159x124) Image search: [Google]
1261815607818.gif
389 KB, 159x124
As >>27386472 stated, there's nothing new about intellectual extremism. Though with the prevalence of the internet, particularly social media, and the ever growing desire for corporate media to sell ad space through sensationalism, we're perhaps accosted by it now more than ever before.

It's easier to "win" an argument if you just demonize the opposition, trivialize any nuance, and just turn it into a shouting match. Every disagreement becomes "us vs. them" where you're either "with us" or you're a monster and a villain.

The so-called news is a perfect example of this. Our attention span continues to be shortened as time goes on. We get bombarded by images in rapid succession as a way of keeping our focus, and advertisements are often even run at a higher volume than the actual television program. So the current news is based around six second soundbites and conflict.

You get two loudmouth imbeciles screaming talking points at one another, not listening to a word being said, and portraying every argument as having two sides, just so they can butt heads in opposition..

Meanwhile people's lives, in general, are becoming shittier; they grow angry, frustrated, bitter and they want to lash out because they feel powerless to improve their situation. The news gives viewers a side to pick and an enemy to abhor. You get to be righteous and anyone who disagrees with you is not just wrong but evil. It's the same reason why twitter is full of reveling in mob justice.

So you can't have a discussion, because they present it in a form where everybody has to pick a side. Where nobody goes in with an open mind, where it's not possible to speak civilly and persuade someone with things like logic, reasoning, and evidence. Where there is no empathy and everybody is so entrenched in their beliefs that they cannot for even a moment try to view things from another perspective.

Of course, It's a great time to be alive if you're a demagogue.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.