[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be of well above average intelligence >be college student
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: PonderingPepe.jpg (18 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
PonderingPepe.jpg
18 KB, 400x400
>be of well above average intelligence
>be college student
>deep understanding of computer programming, no problems there
>complete inability to grasp even the basic concepts of accounting, finance, and economics
>get worse grades in those three classes than even my dumbest friends
am I autistic?
>>
>>27375182
yes
even if you couldn't grasp the concepts, you could at least have memorized the basic formulas and gotten a decent grade
>>
>>27375182
No just stupid except you spent some extra time on a subject you liked. Don't quit your day job, dummy
>>
>>27375182
No you probably focus too much on programming rather than the others.

>The best way to improve is to strengthen your weaknesses.
>- moneyball guy
>>
I'm in the same boat OP. I'm great with computers, always have been, and I can write on a graduate student level (professors have told me several times), but I don't do well in classes that don't require any of these things. I'm also autistic.

Just study more and you should be ok. Are you studying as much as your other friends?
>>
Economics is a bullshit pseudoscience anyway.

Accouting is alright, though.
>>
>>27375182

Programming in based in pure, objective logic.

Accounting is just a branch of law with lots of numbers. Finance is a macroscopic view of that. Economics is just sociology with charts used to push ideologies that dumb people treat like a serious field of study.

In short, you have autism, and that's okay; stick to what you're good at instead of getting into that stupid bullshit.
>>
>>27375211
Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. If OP is fantastic at one subject then he's obviously not stupid, just has some adaptability issues.
>>
>>27375297
Honestly, I don't exactly know how to study. The classes I do well in don't require me to study because I already know the shit. Other classes that don't interest me I've just skated through with Cs and an occasional D.
>>
Same here. After 5 years of both programming and accounting, I'm fluent in most major programming languages and theoretical concepts. Yet I don't remember a single thing about account. I don't even remember how to book a enter a simple sale. Had to cheat on every test and majorly failed every test in which I couldn't cheat.
>>
>>27375325
>look at me i can use turbotax!
>>
>>27375373
You need to find out the way you learn. You can turn, say, the Krebs cycle into a system that you can memorize. That's how I passed biology. You should find out the subject's intentions (anon's economics explanation for example, but more specific), and then you might be able to fill in the blanks from there. You should also know what your teacher wants you to know, because that should help you determine if you're thinking holistically or by-the-book.

The reason you're good at programming is because you can tie it back to a system, thus allowing you to fill in the blanks from input to output. The reason your friends make good grades in classes you're not good at, and bad grades in classes you're good at, is because people generally think linguistically and sequentially. A lot of people have trouble thinking spatially and filling in the blanks. Normals are good at memorizing and that's really it.
>>
>>27375366
no
if you're actually intelligent everything comes easier
>>
>>27375497
>being this simple
>I've figured out what psychologists have been debating and researching for decades

intelligence is tough to define in the first place. if OP is actually autistic he's going to have a bad g factor as a result of the affects autism has neurologically.
Moreover, g factor isn't intelligence. If we're defining intelligence in terms of capabilities outside of the norm, most people can't do programming if their life depended on it. this is because programming requires an entirely different way of perceiving information. intelligence shouldn't be defined in ways of one's ability to function in ways people in the middle of the bell curve would be doing in a few years. also, we shouldn't forget the fact that circumstance has a lot to do with this. OP may be out of touch with his body, hindering his introspection. most people find out the way they learn and then proceed. also, OP could just see a lot of information in the subject in front of him, of which he needs to become more neurotypical to work through properly.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.