[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why and how do so many people find a purpose in life by simply
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: 1456331450141.jpg (13 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1456331450141.jpg
13 KB, 306x306
why and how do so many people find a purpose in life by simply getting a job and family?? how the fuck are they able to do it, to simply exist in their small world and be happy while doing it?

why can't I and so many robots do it? why do I need some grand purpose like in a fantasy book or game that's impossible to have in the modern world or else I might just be a sheep waiting to be slaughered? I have zero motivation to do anything, because everything is inherently pointless. There's nothing worth living and fighting for and I really couldn't give any less fucks about having money or family. The only people who have some kind of worthy purpose currently are top tier scientists working for NASA or CERN etc. but I'm way too dumb and already too old to become one as i'm in my mid twenties

Did I just read to many books and played to many games as a kid when I should have been out with other kids doing menial tasks and socializing? is it all it comes down to? Is it why I'm not interested in social hierarchy?
>>
you're just smarter than them
they're smallminded
>>
>>27374852

of course I'm not, they're the ones who're happy or at least not sucidal

they're much smarter, the question is why
>>
>>27374836
You're just stupider than them and can't seperate fantasy from reality even as an adult.

Anyway with a full time job and kids you don't have time to think about it.
>>
>>27374836
People are ok with just having a family and work because being busy keeps you from reflecting about how shit and meaningless your life is.
>>
>>27374879
they're naturally gifted at social interaction but you probably aren't
>>
>>27374852
>>27374883
which one is it?

honestly i read that intelligence levels are a lot higher in introverts then extroverts. so if op is naturally introverted there's a higher chance he has an above average iq.
>>
>>27374836
Welcome to Life. It is extremely trivial and I feel the same way you do in certain aspects of what you're talking about. Although, I've given up on criticizing or scrutinizing others for what they think their purpose in life may be.

I don't think it's that you need a grand purpose as much as you need something that allows you to feel an immense sense of gratification. To me, it seems as though your reward system is a little off balance. As I get older, I seem to value the smaller things, like cooking a meal and eating it uninterrupted or going for a walk and taking it all in.

You've just got to make life into an adventure game for yourself, just like the books and games you've played through. If you want to do something filled with immense purpose, you've just gotta begin your journey somewhere. I can't tell you how or when to start, but it'll come to you. Hopefully.
>>
>>27374883
>You're just stupider than them and can't seperate fantasy from reality even as an adult.

the thing is I unfortunately can, it's just that the reality is simply a meaningless hell for me
>>
File: 1458802863990.png (94 KB, 1445x695) Image search: [Google]
1458802863990.png
94 KB, 1445x695
>>27374836
A lifetime of games may have ruined us OP. In games we're always the star of the show doing important things. In real life 90% of people just play a small part and never accomplish much. A house, a wife, and kids isn't anything special. It's just a stable life that most people get. A life of adventure is only possible if you are either rich and can afford to fuck around or don't care about living poorly as a traveling hobo. Or if you get into the military but you'll be going where they tell you to go and doing what they tell you to do.
>>
>>27374836

I know exactly how you feel anon and no, I have no answer. I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with anything in existence. It completely mystifies me how people can cope and just live 'normally' and be satisfied with that little plot of compromise. I try to imagine myself with those things, with that measure of compromise and I can almost see a kind of zen state of contentedness in it but I just know it would fade quickly and turn to despair. I could never accept it in the long run.

I think my mind is just fundamentally broken in some way and that suicide is the only way out for me.
>>
Because you are a coward.

Read the following books and stop being a little bitch.

The obstacle is the way :The timeless art of turning trials into triumph.
Models. by mark manson .
The Meditations of marcus aurelius.

I doubt you have enough will left in you to change anything but who knows .. I honestly recommend these books.

Also, check out this site , it is very well designed and written :
stoic.guide
>>
>>27374979
holy shit is that soul reaver kain?
>>
>>27375085
No, it's Raziel from Soul Reaver.
>>
>>27374951

OP here, I always got above average results (130-140 IQ) but that was last measured few years ago, now I'm pretty dumb and slow after struggling for years with depression and other shit

above average IQ means nothing though, I know guys from my high schoold years who were borderline retarded (as in below average IQ) and they're succesful now with well paid jobs they enjoy and families, in the end they are smarter
>>
>>27375096
How old are you ? what do you want to do ? what are your qualoifications ?

I mean , why do you sound so beaten ? There are a million ways to find work. But instead of working or researching you come and bitch here.. This is why you feel like shit .
>>
>>27374979
> reading this in raziels voice
> remembering this part of the game with the big whirlpool
> throwing vampires into sunlight/water
> impaling demons on spears
> warping through fences
> dat boss u crush with the grinder

goat game, dat atmosphere and music
>>
>>27375096
Being street smart is more useful than being book smart unless you study something related to stem.
Not being self conscious helps a lot.
>>
File: Blessed-Karl-of-Austria.jpg (47 KB, 368x600) Image search: [Google]
Blessed-Karl-of-Austria.jpg
47 KB, 368x600
>>27374836
>The only people who have some kind of worthy purpose currently are top tier scientists working for NASA or CERN etc
Nope.
Most of them are collecting a paycheck.
>There's nothing worth living and fighting for
There is your problem.
There is a saying about 'Men who know the price of everything and the value of nothing'. You *think* you are doing a clever analysis of price but you are simply avoiding risk.
You're just afraid. Learn some courage and things will become easier.
>>
>>27375091
yes, that is soul reaver kain.

legacy of kain soul reaver for the dreamcast.
>>
>>27375038
>meditations promotes being a slave when you don't have to be

when did this happen you pretentious faggot
>>
hey OP, scientist here. why do you think you are too old to become one of us? most phD's dont even finish school until late 20s and many people in their mid 30s are still in school
>>
The idea is to pretend you're a normal person and do what other people do.
Thinking about existentialism is comforting when you're a failure but it gets you nowhere. If you ever find the meaning of life you'll be lagging behind already, so it's ideal to just go with the flow and act like a mindless human drone in the meanwhile.
>>
File: 1454672765381-1.jpg (57 KB, 650x842) Image search: [Google]
1454672765381-1.jpg
57 KB, 650x842
>>27374979
>Or if you get into the military but you'll be going where they tell you to go and doing what they tell you to do.

Or fighting in absolutely meaningless conflicts like all wars USA was engaged in since WW2, killing other poor sobs exactly like you who's biggest crime was being born on the other side and thinking they'd find a purpose in military.
>>
File: 1432185707679.png (218 KB, 600x579) Image search: [Google]
1432185707679.png
218 KB, 600x579
>>27374979
> A house, a wife, and kids isn't anything special. It's just a stable life that most people get
we talkin globally? loads of people just starve and die from cancer.

the house/wife/kids meme sounds like "end game", but what do you actually DO with that. you talk with wife sometimes, you take kids to school and cook for them before they're 18, you might clean the house or get some furniture for it..

at the end of the day people really spend their time working and watching tv. this life is very mundane.. there's always a feeling we need to do more, but not much worth doing here
>>
>>27375205
It's from Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver but that is Raziel, not Kain. Kain looks much different.
>>
>>27374836
damn this post said exactly what's been on my mind lately

I wish I still believed in God, I wish I could convert or find faith in something. I hate the fact that I was thrown into a world destined to be destroyed. I may as well have never been born, often times I wish I never was.

Whatever spontaneous burst of motivation I have is immediately stomped by the overwhelming and haunting reality of the world. Nihilism has consumed nearly every facet of who I am.
>>
>>27375217
What do you mean ? A slave to what ?

The way I understand it, a Stoic is the polar opposite of a slave, since Stoicism is about taking the power away from the inner impressions of all externals, as they have no power on your will, or on your ultimate birth right : your opinion/perspective.

If you mean a slave to the gods, then all I know is that stoics were somewhat determinates, which is hard to accept by modern individuals, but its IMO the opposite of slavery, it's a massive spirce of courage as in "love your fate"
>>
>>27375326
english aint my first, i think i have many typos
>>
>>27374836
Just throwing this out there, most top tier scientists in NASA and CERN don't exactly have a worthy purpose. A lot of those guys just sit around doing nothing being faggots.

What you want out of life is up to you. The average person is happy with a job and a family because they have money and won't particularly die alone.

For myself, I have a career I am working on, finishing my Master's in biotech/microbio, and a redpilled loyal GF chemist/biochemist. We don't ever plan to have kids, hate them, and will just have a pet fox and ferret. But we are happy because we are going to be banking our money to get as far from society as we can and focus on traveling and hating on everyone. It is what you make of it.

Pussy helps a lot.
>>
>>27375380
> The average person is happy
i really doubt this, but i guess "average" to r9k is some far out fantasy..
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.