[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Working at the cinema
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
File: notice.jpg (132 KB, 900x800) Image search: [Google]
notice.jpg
132 KB, 900x800
I applied for a job at my local cinema after I saw a notice requesting a part-time worker.

This seems perfect for me. I have an avid interest in all things multimedia, a college degree in film+television production, and have attended this cinema over 100 times in 2012-2013.

I'm in crisis-mode at this time in life. Totally broke, don't have one Euro. I'm not receiving state benefits. My family, relatives, and friends have outcast me. I need a fucking job in short. I've applied to all the local shops without success, but this seems it's gotta be it.

I sent them an email about a week ago, but have yet to receive any word back from them.
I just want your feedback. Did I fuck up the email?
>>
File: email.jpg (126 KB, 818x465) Image search: [Google]
email.jpg
126 KB, 818x465
Here's the email. All the information stated is true.
>>
>>27374447
>straight
>white
>male
>yuropoor
>actual poor
sorry friend you shit out of luck
the only advice i can give you is to ignite a fire in your heart and become the man you always dreamed of
>>
>>27374447
>I just want your feedback. Did I fuck up the email?

Yeah, I don't know where you got the idea to be so brutally honest like that but you shouldn't do it.

Just lie your ass off. Fake optimism, make up references, act smiley, all of it.

I went the "honest but I'm ready to work hard" route and it goes nowhere, they don't want that shit they want you to play the game and act like a little tryhard wage faggot
>>
>>27374467
>admits to being broke
>won't spare to 30 cents to print a CV at a local library
>uses creepy "I would prefer to work away from the public eye" line, like some phantom of the opera
You aren't getting the job.
>>
>>27374447
Are you stupid? Your film degree or whatever the fuck won't matter. They want you to pick shit up and put it down you fucking moron.
>>
>>27374515
I appreciate you being straight with me, but I don't willing go along with that bullshit game.
>>
File: 1411722072470.png (92 KB, 209x340) Image search: [Google]
1411722072470.png
92 KB, 209x340
>>27374467

No wonder you're unemployed. Mentioning you don't want to work around people is the real deal breaker. Like, I can't believe you'd even mention that, or think that was okay to mention.

>I have much experience with using computers

Red flag. If you're not specifying what sort of computers or programs you have experience with, so this basically is just stating that you're a goddamned nerd that has spent too much time jerking off on the internet.
>>
>>27374831
Why are you going to assume the worst of me?
None of what you said there is true. It's just speculation.
Anyone who acts merely on speculation is not worth arguing with.
>>
>>27374467
You are one dumb nigger. You think the feminazi HR rep is going to like your honesty?

Jobs today are all about bullshitting.

You're an engaging go-getter who loves working with customers and helping people, all with a smile.
>>
>>27374871
What are you doing to change that?
Or have you resigned to 'it can never be changed'?
>>
>I am currently broke
>So I'm sending it through here if you don't mind.
>I'm a 25yo male
>have no trouble getting in and out
>prefer to work away from the public eye

fucking lolled

This email is really sloppy. Here are some problems:

-The tone in your message is way too personal and it comes off as unprofessional. For example you used "I'm" and "if you don't mind". Also, why say that you are a 25 year old man? Why do they need to know that?
-There is a lot of useless information in the email - cut that out. As an example: the whole first paragraph provides the reader with no useful information. All you want to communicate to them is that you will be a good employee.
-The structure of the email is not helpful. The big block of run-on text is too much. You need to make it very easy for them to read quickly. Somebody reading this does not want to sit around and read paragraphs of bullshit.
-You ask for work "out of the public eye" - this comes off terribly. First of all it makes you seem like a fucking creep. Second of all its certainly not going to help you get a job, at best it is just useless information, at worst it seems like you are really needy and whiny.
>>
>>27374467

Not saying you fucked it up, but tailor your qualifications to the position they want. You're going to be checking tickets, filling the butter machine, sweeping the floor, and moving the occasional carton of stuff. Your degree, current financial status, etc. are irrelevant to this position (put it in your CV if you must, but minimize the importance).

That said, you have a resume. Go to a library, print out a copy and an cover letter, stop by, introduce yourself, and leave it. I don't know where you are, but libraries usually have el cheapo printing...or go to a net cafe or something. If you can the money for a connection, you have the money to print two sheets of paper. You need to try and meet the basics of what they want, no matter how stupid it seems.

Also, most of these places want you to stop in and fill out a job application anyhow (at least on our side of the pond).

And: this sounds like a cool job. I've often thought it would be neat to work at a cinema. If you don't land this, *don't* freak and decide you can never go there again...chances are, it went to an employee's friend (some of these conversations are literally this long: "yo, manager, this is my friend, he's interested and a hard-worker..." "OK, sounds good, when can you start?"), and it's possible no one even looked at your email as a result...so keep going there, OK?

Also, check with other theaters.

I feel for ya, economy is shit there for 20somethings. Hang in there.
>>
File: 1555575534447.png (114 KB, 436x365) Image search: [Google]
1555575534447.png
114 KB, 436x365
>>27374863

You're not arguing with them, you're giving them your CV and they are going to judge it, probably rather harshly.

You're over qualified and you told them negative things about yourself.

You're broke, you can't get hired in the field you went to school for, you don't want to interact with the public.

They want someone 5 years younger than you, not saddled with debt that might lead to them stealing shit, and they want that person to be friendly when they take some assholes ticket.

You offered them a man that doesn't want to deal with customers, has clearly made poor decisions concerning his finances and education, is apparently not hirable in his field, and is only applying because he's just that damned desperate.

They threw that shit in the trash faster than a resume with a large gap that suggests jail or being fired.
>>
>>27374895

Some good advice here.

Go to some resume / cover letter websites and find examples. It's OK to copy them nearly verbatim if you feel uncomfortable writing your own, you're applying for an entry level position in the service industry, they have low expectations.

And when you go for the interview, be careful to dress right...neither sloppy nor overdressed (you're going to be cleaning toilets, don't wear a suit to the interview)...like khakis and a button-up shirt, shave, comb your fucking hair, brush your teeth. Smile, shake hands, say please and thank you, laugh at the interviewer's shitty jokes, avoid talking about anything unrelated to the job...this isn't the time to go into your theories about how you despise Lena Wertmuller for the moral ambiguities in "Seven Beauties".
>>
>>27374447
>>27374895
this

rephrase the cleanliness part. Instead of sweeping you should say handling food. learn how to handle food (meats, properly sanitizing countertops) and you might need to mop and wax floors, so mention you're a fast learner too.

>>27374827
they want people who are willing to roll their sleeves up and dig elbow deep in shit.
>>
>>27374467
Not too bad mate, but never tell any employer that you're broke. Shows them you're desperate for a job and for whatever reason, even the low wage jobs don't want that. Also the language "currently broke" is a little bit too casual

best of luck
>>
>>27375052

Brutal and true. And I kinda suspect OP needs someone to be brutal about his lack of qualifications.

This doesn't mean you're unhireable, just that you need to pick and choose what you show to them. Once you have a couple of jobs under your belt, you'll be able to focus on your work experience, but for now...you need to show other aspects of your character.

>kinda suspect OP left in a huff because people in this thread are being civil and providing constructive criticism
>>
File: 1415065217499.jpg (76 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1415065217499.jpg
76 KB, 1280x720
>>27374863
>>27374863

>why would anyone assume I'm a loser just because I imply I'm a loser in every part of my email

You couldn't even be bothered to scrounge a few coins out of your ass to print a CV, and proceeded to send them said document with your email AS YOU ASK THEM IF IT'S ALRIGHT OR NOT.

You then imply you can't deal with people or provide decent customer service and that you can't do anything special on a computer aside from presumably boring tasks you won't even describe. I can promise you they've gotten the same impression as I did.

Your email has already been trashed. They're going to hire a teenager that knows how to actually present their talents while genuinely hiding their weaknesses, and thus knows how this whole process works, instead of you, the creepy 25-year-old that studied how to watch movies and TV shows.
>>
>>27375201
>kinda suspect OP left in a huff because people in this thread are being civil and providing constructive criticism
Not true, I'm here and reading everything carefully.
>>
>>27375238
>Your email has already been trashed. They're going to hire a teenager that knows how to actually present their talents while genuinely hiding their weaknesses, and thus knows how this whole process works, instead of you, the creepy 25-year-old that studied how to watch movies and TV shows.

This.

Just remember, you *can* learn to do this. You're going to have to swallow your pride, and you're going to have to learn to give them the answers they want.

Or maybe you're not as desperate as you make out?

>>27375324

OK.
>>
>>27375324
I gotta get back to my work. Hope you're doing alright...don't freak out about some criticism. Mistakes are only a problem when we don't learn from them.
>>
>>27375324

I wrote >>27374895 and I am curious to hear your response to my feedback.
>>
>>27375609
It seems to me that it's all about appearance. Deception. I'm being criticised for not conforming to this. "Real has no place in the working world." "We all understand that" "We are angry at you for not falling in line with us." "The employer will think the worst of you unless you follow very specific guidelines." "Don't for any moment express yourself to be any different than what has been put down as the only acceptable way to communicate with a man of wealth."
You say there is a lot of stuff that can be trimmed out, that is not essential to the job, and that's true, but what does it matter, the email can be read in about a minute anyway. It seems there is a standard of being hyper-uptight about how to present yourself. But it could just as easily be the other way around. It's not like it's a natural indictator of how appropriate someone is for working a job.
I don't see why I should have to hide my intentions and what is actually going on. I'm fucking starving. I get food from the food bank 7km away every Tuesday or Wednesday. The state has decided for me to subscribe to another year-long humilation course or less than 35eu a week. I'm hungry, broke, clothes are in rags, suffering from longstanding physical, mental, verbal abuse from family members that nobody cares about. Failed suicide last year. I've come forward in the most polite and direct way I could while still maintaining my dignity. I'm expected to take another bite of shit.

I appreciate the comments here. Well thought out, well written.
>>
>tfw apply to cinema
>they don't respond
feels bad
>>
>>27374871
>You're an engaging go-getter who loves working with customers and helping people, all with a smile.

This. They don't want self incriminating honesty. They want bullshit. Give it to them. It's cheap
>>
>>27374467
You came off as desperate and not really concerned about the company. Just for the money. You have to make it look like you are a person with self respect want to be productive member of society. You have to describe what traits, characteristics, and experience you have and what you could do for them. Tell them why they are great for you to work there.
>>
File: 1448461613721.jpg (64 KB, 846x423) Image search: [Google]
1448461613721.jpg
64 KB, 846x423
>tfw at the cinema now
>film is half done and everyone's on their phones
>some fucking creep comes back in from having a piss and didn't clean his falcon
>puts it on his anvil, dirtying it

what a fucking freak
>>
File: 1335761587198.jpg (17 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1335761587198.jpg
17 KB, 240x240
This fucking thread.
10/10
I hope you learned your lesson, op.
Everyone lies.
Only idiots say the truth.
>>
>>27375926

>You say there is a lot of stuff that can be trimmed out, that is not essential to the job, and that's true, but what does it matter, the email can be read in about a minute anyway....It's not like it's a natural indictator of how appropriate someone is for working a job.

Totally wrong. You didn't think through your email. You wasted the readers time with unnecessary stuff. You didn't conform to expectations. How are these not indications that you would be hard to work with?

>I don't see why I should have to hide my intentions and what is actually going on.

You don't have to hide anything. They need an employee. You need a job. Why do you need to share with them all the troubles in your life? They didn't ask you to share ANYTHING, so I am not sure what you feel like you need to hide from.

Some general comments:

-Your response matches your email in that it is rambling, not well edited, and full of oversharing. If these are common trends in your writing, you should be aware of them.

-Writing a cover letter (which is what this is) should take a long time. Taking a full 8 hours is actually a reasonable amount of time. You get one shot to express yourself - don't fuck it up.

-It seems like you didn't take time to put yourself in the readers position. I think doing that would really help you construct a better message.
I am sorry that you have been having a shitty time recently, that really sucks. I feel where you are coming from, especially regarding the aspect of maintaining your dignity against an ugly system. I used to feel like you, but I now absolutely believe that showing the best of yourself is not deceitful or disrespectful to your reality.
>>
>>27375926
>I don't see why I should have to hide my intentions and what is actually going on.

Get this through your fucking head: this has nothing to do with you.

They don't give a shit about anything other than if you are fit for the position. And *they* decide if you're fit, not *you*. Every single person applying for a job has a backstory, has their tale of woe, has their personal reasons why they believe they should be hired over anyone else. You need to show you're someone who would do the work with better and with less fuss than anyone else.

That's it. They aren't looking for a superstar to unclog the toilets or scrap gum off theater seats. They want someone who will do what they're told, maybe even do work without being told, will be pleasant, not piss off his coworkers, and otherwise, be invisible. A cog in the machine.

Capitalism is not about dignity.

You get the following in return: money. Maybe a limited sense of belonging. Perhaps a dull sense of satisfaction in doing honest work well. A chance you'll occasionally be able to talk the manager out of neat movie posters or displays.

Want more? Get a better job.

I'm sorry if that sucks, but that's how it works unless you're part of that 0.00001% that never has to work.

Your other problems? Hey, we're here, man. We might not be able to do much, and we might make fun of you, but we also will listen. Like this thread. Not perfect, but, shit, it's *something*, alright?
>>
>>27376088
>anvil
Oh boy, here we go again.
>>
>>27376558
>Your response matches your email in that it is rambling, not well edited, and full of oversharing. If these are common trends in your writing, you should be aware of them.
>It seems like you didn't take time to put yourself in the readers position. I think doing that would really help you construct a better message.
Noted.
>>
my sister hated working at vue, she only got min wage and management would bitch that she'd give people too much popcorn or too much in their drink etc. she didn't listen cause who cares when you're on min wage
>>
>>27375926

>it's all about appearance how dare you be different

How are you this edgy at 25?

Goddamn, all they want is to see that you can submit a CV and play the game for 30 minutes.

No one cares about your special snowflake bullshit, all they want is for you to show up on time, for you to not be rude to customers, and scrub toilets when they ask.
>>
>>27376579
Jesus Christ OP BTFO with a truth bomb.
>>
>>27374467
>too cheap to print a cv
>admits to being socially anxious
>suited to monotonous tasks i.e. autistic

Don't worry Anon, you've every chance of getting the job.
>>
>>27374467
Drop the "I'm poor" shit now, makes you look like begging fagalot with tears in eyes screaming "PLS HIRE ME".
Yea you are in somewhat shitty position but that's a thing they don't need to know, as long as you do the work well why they'd care if you live in a van or something.
>>
good luck with it. i had a friend work at movie theater he could watch movies for free.
>>
>>27375238
>They're going to hire a teenager that knows how to actually present their talents while genuinely hiding their weaknesses

This op. Teenage Chad is getting his first job while you starve because of his in built social skills.
>>
File: 1456238858505.png (152 KB, 360x357) Image search: [Google]
1456238858505.png
152 KB, 360x357
>>27376579
You write sort of weird, but I still like you.
>>
File: yeaaah.png (217 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
yeaaah.png
217 KB, 720x480
>>27374447
>mfw mom is one of the managers
>mfw I can watch free movies anytime I want
>>
>I prefer not to be around people
Banana OP you're fucked. No job likes jntroverted people. Lie your ducking ass off, fake it till you make it.

Don't be brutally honest. Be a lying piece o shit, say you are the most positive outgoing person and prove it in the face to face interview.
>>
>>27374467
you have already got the criticism, so i just wanted to say that i really liked your honesty in this e-mail and would for sure hire you if it was my theater i was running.
>>
>>27377470
Are you a manager at all? capable or anything or just another neckbeard saying he'd hire some random when he has no authority to do so in reality?
>>
i don't get the OP's picture. before and after what?
>>
>>27377532
It was "sexist" before.
>>
>>27377486
no experience in managing- i go to med-school. better than a NEET but you're right that my opinion does not reflect whoever actually evaluates his application
>>
>>27377372
>You write sort of weird, but I still like you.

Probably has to do with my 102 degree fever.

>have that fucking superflu
>>
I don't understand how people can be expected to get along, to be nice, to believe in universal love, compassion, justice, but for this cruel system to still live and be compatible with society.
>>
>>27377217
and you need to gtfo stupid namefag
>>
>>27374467
>admits to being broke
>no resume
>begging for job
>comes across as a crazy homeless guy
>shit grammar
>admitting to being a sperg

holy shit you fucked up so badly
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.