[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drugs, depression and anti-depressants
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
Does anyone else here feel burned out by drug use?

I feel life is a waste of time if I'm not high, and weed/hash just gives me paranoia nowadays. Heavier drugs cost too much and/or give too much damage in the long-term. I think I might have to use anti-depressants to rebuild my seratonin levels.

Has anyone of you used SSRIs/are on it now?
Has shit gone for the better or worse, or no difference?
>>
>>27373667
>rebuild my seratonin levels

That's not how the brain works, senpai. "Chemical imbalance" theory is about 40 years out of date and almost totally discredited.
>>
>>27373826
You really think years of taking drugs that fuck up your neurotransmitter levels aren't gonna cause a chemical imbalance in your brain once you kick them?
>>
>>27373826
Alright, inhibit negative feels or.. fuck if I know. Do you have any experiences with em?
>>
>>27373667
Stay off drugs for three months, use the time to learn to moderate your usage. Do not use every day. Study the use/abuse/dependence psychological model.
>>
Can noone here can tell about their experiences with SSRIs?
>>
>>27374056
almost evryone will tell you its shit
it makes you feel like a zombie (if does something)
>>
>>27373667
Hear hear op i feel ya
>>
I've been on several SSRIs and I know many people who have been on them.
An IMPORTANT thing to remember is medication effects everyone differently. Do your research, be open and honest with your doctor (Or psychiatrist or whoever), and make an informed decision.
>Good
They helped me a little, mostly with my anxiety. Nothing has helped my major depressive disorder. I've seen them turn my friends lives around, and I've seen them be completely ineffective on others.
>Bad
Side effects can be pretty bad. They can make it tough for your dick to get hard and might make you less interested in sex. Change in appetite is another side effect. They made me gain 5-10 pounds because I couldn't stop being hungry.
>>
>>27374271
which ones were you on, which helped the best and the least?
>>
>>27374363
I'll try to remember the names of them, I've been on so many kinds of meds over the last few years it's hard to sort them out.
Lexapro is usually the first one doctors prescribe and it helped me a lot. It helps my aunt a ton too. I discontinued it because of weight gain, though.
Celexa helped me a very tiny bit. I didn't experience many side effects.
Zoloft was ineffective for me. Made me a little dizzy sometimes, that's about it.
Paxil just made me irritable all the time. It used to help my dad when he was going through depression, so there's that.
Can't really remember anything else. Have you looked at other classes of medication? Why do/did you use drugs so heavily?
>>
>>27374238
You won't know what you have until it's gone, Anon. SSRIs "work" in that they produce results, but we aren't entirely sure about what's going on. We're throwing serious chemicals at the brain and watching, among other things, if a little bit of balance occurs.

You might gain weight, your dick might stop working, and above all you might be unable to escape the feeling that you actually, legitimately killed the old you for a tiny bit of peace.
>>
>>27374573
>you might be unable to escape the feeling that you actually, legitimately killed the old you for a tiny bit of peace.
Why? Unless you take huge doses (Way over the prescribed amount) for an extended period of time, your brain will go back to how it was before.
>>
>>27374454
Self-medication for depression and anxiety. No mental illnesses besides that, and the latter is perhaps maybe extreme shyness, but here I am, spent a bunch of cash on shit that's only made things worse... sort of.

How were the first weeks on any of them?
If you used any drugs (incl alcohol) how did that change on these meds?
Did they all in all improve your life?
Of course I understand that this is all very individual like you say, but I'm interested in hearing about people's experience.
>>
>>27374603
That doesn't match at all the experiences I keep hearing from people who use them properly. They experience a distinct change in behavior and personality. It's not so much "right" behavior/personality or "wrong" behavior/personality, it's just different. There's this complacent deadness that they seem to share.
>>
>>27374657
Yeah try to stay away from self medicating with drugs and stuff.
>First weeks
I usually only experience the side effects in the first week or so before seeing any positive improvements. Always give the meds time to work.
>Drugs/alcohol
I only drank a lot when taking SSRIs, no weed or anything. But it does change the way you act drunk, and how quickly you get there. Try drinking a little bit alone on a new SSRI before going out drinking with people to see how you react, same with drugs I guess. As for how it changed the way the meds worked, I was told that it would change its effect but I didn't notice much.
>Improvement
Some did, some didn't. The biggest improvement was Lexapro, it helped my anxiety a ton. So did Celexa, in a very minor way.
>>
>>27374573
>You might gain weight
Probably, but I'll work out.

>your dick might stop working
It barely works nowadays. I don't know if it's because I've gotten older or because of some stims, but shit isn't the same.

>and above all you might be unable to escape the feeling that you actually, legitimately killed the old you for a tiny bit of peace.
No issue with that, I've sort of wanted an ego death when I've done some psychadelics, and that hasn't happened. I wish to forget memories, let things go.

>>27374603
>your brain will go back to how it was before.
So one has to be on these meds all the time if a person's struggling with depression and what-not? I always assumed that these meds had a permanent effect if one were on them for a long enough time. If what you write is correct, are their only use to open one up more and speak with a doc/psych about one's problem...? Thought that's more of a benzo's job but I don't know enough shit here
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venlafaxine
taking this now.

better than Celexa which made me feel like zombie.
>>
It's completely the opposite for me. Drug use saved my life.
>tfw finally have friends b/c of weed
>tfw adderall snaps me out of suicidal moods
>>
>>27374671
Is that while they were on them or even after they got off of them?
>>27374762
Not the poster, but yeah you have to stay on the meds for it to work. If you go on meds, don't go off of them once things are better for a while, a lot of people make that mistake. And their use is improving your overall quality of life, opening up to your doctor/psychiatrist isn't really a primary goal.
>>
>>27374790
>>tfw finally have friends b/c of weed
Same with me until I realized that said "friends" only wanted me as a friend because I had money at the time. Now when I'm low on cash I get nothing back. Guess I was just unlucky. Really look into your friendship with 'em and see how you all pay in etc, weed tends to make a lot of people naive at first.

>>tfw adderal snaps me out of suicidal moods
seems ok but how will it go in the long term once you get off them? it's an amphetamine ffs. once the high dies off you need more and more. of course if you've got the funds to pay for it then it's all good I guess
>>
>>27374790
>Adderall snaps me out of suicidal moods
Try vyvanse. It lasts a loooot longer and it's way less addictive.
>>
>take SSRIs
>feel horrible for the first 24 hours. Feel like I'm going to throw up. Don't feel suicidal, anyway
>second day I feel fantastic. Never felt that good in my life
>started feeling worse by the third day
>week later, and I feel no different. feel suicidal again
Your body must adjust to it, or something. Or maybe I just don't have a chemical imbalance like some people do.
>>
>>27375267
Yeah that's your body adjusting to it. Maybe your doctor put you on too high of a dose to start off with, or you might be sensitive to that kind of medication.
>>
>>27373667
alcohol is a good route, op. cheap and effective.
>>
>>27374885
>>27374944
meth is pretty legit too.
>>
>>27374056

They blow and make you stupid and impotent.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.